HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What to do at the deadline? Should PG spend extra cash? / Pre-deadline thread

Old
01-14-2011, 09:30 PM
fergiesbeak

vCash: 500
Trade gomez anyway possible.Get some pics of another GM in the sack with some fluzy if we have to.just make it happen.

fergiesbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:35 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergiesbeak View Post
Trade gomez anyway possible.Get some pics of another GM in the sack with some fluzy if we have to.just make it happen.
We need another 2nd line center plan first IMO.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Smoke Monster

Upgrade the defense and acquire a proven top six forward.
This is assuming we are making a run for the playoffs and our trade partners are not.
Example:
to Carolina: 2011 first round pick, Hamrlik (I'd rather keep him but to fit the other puzzles need to make cap space)
to Montreal: Pitkanen, Gleason
to Ottawa: Eller, 2011 3rd round pick
to Montreal: Michalek

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Milan Michalek ($4.333m)
Max Pacioretty ($0.910m) / David Desharnais ($0.550m) / Mathieu Darche ($0.500m)
Benoit Pouliot ($1.350m) / Jeff Halpern ($0.600m) / Travis Moen ($1.500m)
Tom Pyatt ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Joni Pitkanen ($4.000m) / James Wisniewski ($3.250m)
Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m) / Tim Gleason ($2.750m)
Hal Gill ($2.250m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Yannick Weber ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) /Alex Auld ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque ($0.500m)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,933,809; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $466,191

or
to Edmonton: Andrei Markov
to Montreal: 2011 first round pick (assuming it will be a top five pick), Dustin Penner, Ryan Whitney(assuming he'll be back by the playoff's)
to Carolina: Lars Eller, Harmlik
to Montreal:Tim Gleason, 2011 first round pick

FORWARDS
Dustin Penner ($4.250m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m)
Max Pacioretty ($0.910m) / David Desharnais ($0.550m) / Mathieu Darche ($0.500m)
Tom Pyatt ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Whitney ($4.000m) / James Wisniewski ($3.250m)
Yannick Weber ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,850,476; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $549,524

Last edited by Smoke Monster: 01-15-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Smoke Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:59 AM
Picaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Monster View Post
Upgrade the defense and acquire a proven top six forward.
This is assuming we are making a run for the playoffs and our trade partners are not.
Example:
to Carolina: 2010 first round pick, Hamrlik (I'd rather keep him but to fit the other puzzles need to make cap space)
to Montreal: Pitkanen, Gleason
to Ottawa: Eller, 2010 3rd round pick
to Montreal: Michalek

FORWARDS
Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Milan Michalek ($4.333m)
Tom Pyatt ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Joni Pitkanen ($4.000m) / James Wisniewski ($3.250m)
Yannick Weber ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,933,809; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $466,191

or
to Montreal: 2010 first round pick (assuming it will be a top five pick), Jason Penner, Ryan Whitney(assuming he'll be back by the playoff's)
to Montreal:Tim Gleason, 2010 first round pick

FORWARDS
Dustin Penner ($4.250m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m)
Tom Pyatt ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Whitney ($4.000m) / James Wisniewski ($3.250m)
Yannick Weber ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,850,476; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $549,524
Well thought out trades man. Most habs fans will freak out saying you over payed, but I think you have created trades that tempt both sides which is very rare to see on these boards. Not a big fan of trading Eller though

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:26 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
Oh yeah, Eller is such an impact player that moving him would begin to usher in a dark age for the Habs.
It's pretty much that kind of thinking that led management to sell our future out from under us in the second half of the 90s. I'm taking a guess that you are either too young to remember it or just choose not to. We only just dug ourselves out of it recently, and I'm not prepared to go down the road of dealing promising youth to load up for a Cup run sans Markov and Gorges. And using the 'rolling eyes' smilie to make a point makes you look ten.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:57 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Are we going to make the playoffs this year?

as of Jan 15, how many teams are guaranteed to make the playoffs in the East ?

considering Division title is still in reach...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 08:27 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrule View Post
Seeing as we are about a month and a half away from the deadline what should the Habs do in your opinion? Be buyers? Be sellers? Build the team for next year? Pick up draft picks? Pick up prospects?

So I will say that they should be sellers at this point. I am not saying that they should throw in the towel and blow up the team at all. Just with Markov and Gorges done for the year we have to be realistic. The team without those two players is not a contending team. I feel as if the goal should not just be to make the playoffs but to win the Stanley Cup. That may be a long ways off but we have the pieces in place to at least make a try for it in the next few years.

The players who I think could be traded at the deadline and a reasoning why are:

Andrei Kostitsyn--He was the teams best player for the first 10-15 games this year but has gone missing since. Yes his game has always been like that but he only has 23 points through 43 games this year. He is an upcoming RFA and how often do RFAs get a lower salary as the year before. He is making 3.25 million this year and most likely the same next year. His contract is not bad but the money could be spent and you could get more bang for your buck elsewhere. Some team may want to take a chance on him seeing as he can hit, can play a good offensive game and he is only 25 years old he may be a player who could get you a really good return.

Scott Gomez--I have liked his play of late and his line with Gionta and Paccioretty have really started to play well together. The only reason why I put him in here is because he is a cap hit of 7.357 million for the next three years. I highly doubt that he will have any interest in him but you just never know. That money could get a superstar to play for you.

Roman Hamrlik--We all know that he is massively over payed at 5.5 million for this year and is a UFA at seasons end. If management does not plan on signing him for next year then look to move him out. You will not get much in return but you would be doing Hamrlik a favor and giving him a shot at the Cup. He is 36 years old and does not have that much hockey left in him.

Jeff Halpern--He is in the same boat as Hamrlik. He is an aging vet at the age of 34 and even though he has played good for us he is a UFA at seasons end. If the Habs management does not think that they will resign him why not get something for him. The Habs centers for next year look like they could be Plekanec, Gomez, Desharnais and Eller so they do not need to keep him. Plus he only makes 600k this year and will be an easy pill to swallow for any team close to the cap.

Jaroslav Spacek--He is on this list because he is signed for one more year and will be making 3.833 million. He has not played all that great this year and does not deserve his contract is you ask me. He is signed for one more year at that price tag and will be very hard to move but it is all about cutting dead weight. His one goal and 13 points this season from an offensive D man just do not cut it. Plus he is also 36 years old.

Travis Moen--I really, really like him and hope that they do not trade him but I can see him having decent trade value. He is a great penalty killer who can fight and plays a rough and tough style of game. He is singed for next year at 1.5 million so any team picking him up would not just be picking up a rental player. He has only 7 points in 43 games and has actually played with Gomez and Gionta quite a few times this year.

Tom Pyatt--He is just like Moen and I live his game but I fear that the same thing that happened to Lapierre will happen to Pyatt. He will just get passed by too many guys on the depth chart. He is a great penalty killer and role player but I just can not see a future with him on the Habs. Sooner than later Ryan White, Ben Maxwell and Aaron Palushaj will have to get a chance to play in the NHL.

Hal Gill--He is the prototypical playoff shut down defenceman that every team loves. He serves one purpose and one purpose only...stop the other team from scoring. He is a UFA at the end of the season and if he is not in the plans for next year then you may as well get something now rather than getting nothing for him in a few months when he is a UFA. He brings a lot of experience and I think that a bunch of teams would be interested in him.

Alex Auld--I am sure that their will be a very little market for him but a team may just want to pick up a third goalie for insurance purposes. Just in case they get an injury to a goalie during the playoffs they have a capable goalie as a back up. We all know that Ramo is the planned back up for next year and if not him then some other goalie can do the same job next year for a million and Auld is doing for us now.

With all that being said I know that I listed a whole lot of players but you have to shop around and offer up numerous players and not just one or two and see if you get any bites. I love that they picked up Wisniewski not to long ago and as long as they sign him for next year that was a great trade. I would not call it re-builing, I would call it re-tooling.
Habs are about a player away from Cup contention. Ideally I would look to add a veteran puck moving defenseman. Seems we get a lot more goals scored than what it takes to add on backend. Wis barely replaces Markov offensively, Weber and Subban can move the puck but are thin on experience. If can't, I would try to get a forward with a little size who can bang in 25-30 goals.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 08:37 AM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Monster View Post
to Montreal: 2010 first round pick (assuming it will be a top five pick), Jason Penner, Ryan Whitney(assuming he'll be back by the playoff's)
I don't think Oilers would do that.

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:17 AM
WG

to Montreal:Tim Gleason, 2010 first round pick

Markov is UFA and currently done for the season. He has zero value right now. Not in a million years will Edmonton give up a lottery pick plus other players for a guy they could just sign as a UFA this summer.

If you break up the Carolina trade, based on his half season of play I doubt Carolina trades their first for Eller (and we shouldn't be entertaining it anyway). Also doubt they'd trade Gleason who is signed for this year and next for UFA Hamrlik who makes 2X what Gleason earns.

I'd kick the tires on Setoguchi or else look at some cheap minor upgrades (Jamie Langenbrunner for a 3rd rounder kind of thing). TSN had discussed the various defensemen banished to the AHL, Mike Commodore would cost 1.8M this year and next on re-entry waivers and you'd think it would be very minimal cost to acquire him. Nothing earth shaking.

WG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:18 AM
BLONG7

I wonder if the Isles would trade us Moulson for AK46?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:26 AM
ruski17

Trading Eller will make me cry and beg for my mother to wake me up from this horrible dream.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
It's pretty much that kind of thinking that led management to sell our future out from under us in the second half of the 90s. I'm taking a guess that you are either too young to remember it or just choose not to. We only just dug ourselves out of it recently, and I'm not prepared to go down the road of dealing promising youth to load up for a Cup run sans Markov and Gorges. And using the 'rolling eyes' smilie to make a point makes you look ten.
Do note were I stated we would be contending this season otherwise you are making assumptions. Acquiring Iginla would be in preparation for a run next season, thus retaining Markov and Gorges. Iginla would experience his first season with a first line caliber center and had already brought Cammalleri to his only 39 goal 80 point season. We address significant needs through such a trade.

Furthermore, you neglect I mention moving Kostitsyn, who could possibly acquire a first round pick at the deadline. Therefore, we acquire one of the league's best players for Eller, a second (or third) and Hamrlik. This most definitely spells disaster for our future endeavors. Even were AK to acquire less, a single season devoid of a first round pick will not doom the franchise.

Coincidently, I query your age when you specifically mention an emoticon as a means to insult me. I would have imagined a supposedly 'mature' adult would not be as petty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
Trading Eller will make me cry and beg for my mother to wake me up from this horrible dream.
Eller is a good prospect but overshadowed by Plekanec and Gomez. With our depth at center, (Desharnais and LeBlanc) he becomes that much more expendable. If it our intention to acquire a solid top six forward. We will have to trade value for value. There are two players most teams will be interested in; Lars Eller or P.K. Subban. What is your preference?

Last edited by Bourne Endeavor: 01-15-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:59 AM
coolasprICE

Andrei K to Nashville for J.P Dumont and a 15th round pick

AK and Sk then produce at a higher rate than the Sedin brothers.

During the summer, Jacques Martin's ears continue to grow larger.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
I wonder if the Isles would trade us Moulson for AK46?
Wouldnt that guy be a natural, playing for the Habs in the Molson Center i mean

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Montreal is two players away from serious cup contention. What we need, in my humble opinion, are:

To Ottawa--3rd round pick 2011
To Mtl--D-man Carkner

That gives us the big, hard hitting, capable of fighting, stay-at-home d-man we are missing at a low cap hit.

Next:

To Calgary--2011 1st, 2012 1st, Eller, Weber
To Mtl--Iginla

Is it a lot? YES. However, Iginla is exactly what we need for a cup run in the next 2 seasons. He skates well, scores, hits, fights, goes to the net, and is an incredible leader in the room and on the ice. I hate giving away 1st rounders and prospects with huge upside, but Iginla is the epitome of the power forward we have been missing for decades.

These 2 moves give us the combined size and skill, not mention leadership, that would allow us to better compete against Philly and Western Conference teams. As we are, I feel good about facing Boston, Pittsburgh, Washington, Atlanta or the Rangers. However, as we are now, we will lose to Detroit, Vancouver and Philly. Iginla and Carkner (or someone like him) are the 2 pieces we need to be able to beat those teams. There is no guarantee, of course, but they would be the pieces necessary.

What do other fans think?

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Darth Joker

Well, due to the injuries to Gorges and Markov, this certainly isn't the season for us to be buyers at the deadline.

However, to sell like a lottery pick team when we're in a playoff position (if that holds of course), would be simply madness, in my opinion.

I expect us to more or less stand pat.

AKost might be dealt, but if he is, it has nothing to do with selling, and is simply about Habs management being fed up with him.

I wouldn't be opposed to dealing Halpern or Moen, as Eller probably should get more icetime than he's getting (and sliding into Halpern's 3rd line C spot could help there), while Moen has had a bad year anyway. This moderate degree of "selling" I'd be fine with.

Hammer, Gill, and maybe even Spacek, are all invaluable to us right now, though, due to Markov and Gorges being out.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:26 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Wouldnt that guy be a natural, playing for the Habs in the Molson Center i mean
The marketing opportunities could be wild for the Molsons and the team!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:28 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Only way I would trade Eller is if a core player came back. On trade rumours page they have Black Hawks shopping Seabrook. Deal based on those two with throw ins I would consider

Old
01-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Montreal is two players away from serious cup contention. What we need, in my humble opinion, are:

To Mtl--D-man Carkner

That gives us the big, hard hitting, capable of fighting, stay-at-home d-man we are missing at a low cap hit.

Next:

To Mtl--Iginla

Is it a lot? YES. However, Iginla is exactly what we need for a cup run in the next 2 seasons. He skates well, scores, hits, fights, goes to the net, and is an incredible leader in the room and on the ice. I hate giving away 1st rounders and prospects with huge upside, but Iginla is the epitome of the power forward we have been missing for decades.

These 2 moves give us the combined size and skill, not mention leadership, that would allow us to better compete against Philly and Western Conference teams. As we are, I feel good about facing Boston, Pittsburgh, Washington, Atlanta or the Rangers. However, as we are now, we will lose to Detroit, Vancouver and Philly. Iginla and Carkner (or someone like him) are the 2 pieces we need to be able to beat those teams. There is no guarantee, of course, but they would be the pieces necessary.

Two problems. One, we're not giving enough salary back to make the trades work cap-wise. Two, that's way to much future to be mortgaging way. If you replace one of those 1st rounders by AK, it would work. That said, AK needs to actually play well until the deadline for the Flames to actually want to make that deal. Maybe his talk with the coach will get him going in the right direction, and then PG will actually have the balls to trade him when his value is higher.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:54 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrule View Post
You are right but last year we had our best defenceman in Markov coming back from injury for the playoffs. Now this year we do not have Markov or Gorges for the playoffs. Yes the Habs ran into the injury bug on D last year in the playoffs but this year they have the injury bug before the playoffs.
so we should tank?
its stupid to be seller and finish 7-10

and Markov missed 2/3 of the playoffs

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Do note were I stated we would be contending this season otherwise you are making assumptions.
I just wanted to point out that you accuse me of "making assumptions" in the same sentence that you describe us as contenders this season. I really don't agree that we are with or without Iginla.

And regarding your sarcastic remark that "Eller is such an impact player" -- he's a twenty one year-old prospect. Possibly a second-line centre for the next dozen years if he pans out and an NHLer, versus a few good years of Iginla likely wasted (I believe) on a fringe playoff team.

Quote:
Coincidently, I query your age when you specifically mention an emoticon as a means to insult me. I would have imagined a supposedly 'mature' adult would not be as petty.
Calls 'em like I sees 'em. Is 'query' the same as 'question' only when Sherlock Holmes says it?

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:07 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Habs are about a player away from Cup contention. Ideally I would look to add a veteran puck moving defenseman. Seems we get a lot more goals scored than what it takes to add on backend. Wis barely replaces Markov offensively, Weber and Subban can move the puck but are thin on experience. If can't, I would try to get a forward with a little size who can bang in 25-30 goals.
I think your assessment is optimistic. They may need to add a player to ensure a playoff spot but, in my opinion, they are a long way from being a cup contender. I would hate to see the team give up valuable assets for such a long shot.

Of course every team would like to get a 25-30 goal scorer. That is a first line or top quality second line player that is going to cost about $4 million per year in salary and a lot of assets in a trade. It's not worth it with the way this team is put together.

Gauthier has slowly been undoing this mess that Gainey got the team into. He's had to sacrifice some bodies that he probably didn't want to and he has lost a lot of flexibility with outrageous contracts handed out to guys on the downside of their careers.

I think the team needs to go with what they have for now and see how long it takes them. It might mean an early exit from the playoffs or even no playoffs at all... god forbid. But young players are developing, free agents will become available and there is a potential for trades.

It is almost guaranteed that our defense will look different. Most of the pieces are already there, but not in playing condition (Markov and Gorges, for example).

Sacrificing the future for a complete longshot is a poor strategy. I would like the team to stay the course and try to build on what they have.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:30 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post

To Mtl--D-man Carkner

Next:

To Mtl--Iginla

Carkner is horrible!! He can't play defense and you might as well bring up Alex Henry.

We need more than Iginla... I don't want to give up three first round draft picks for him. Iginla will be 34 years old this year and at $7 million per year, we can't afford him along with Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri and Plekanec. We would be overpaying, tying ourselves to another expensive contract, limiting our options going forward and still not making ourselves competitive

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Said it in the Markov thread, Regehr or Phillips would be gold for this team, not only for this year but next year as well.
Agreed, these two players top my wish list for this seasons deadline unless we could convince Dallas to take Gomez for Richards which isn't going to happen. One of those players are just what we need in my opinion but I wouldn't want to pay too much for either guy. I certainly don't see us as sellers right now but I think it would be unwise to overspend on a rental, particularly given our position in the standings. I also wouldn't mind us making a move for Neil, speaking of the Senators. Yes, I'm well aware that he is a giant bag of sorts but in trading away Lapierre we just lost ours and replacing him with one that is on pace for over 250 hits might be worth while. I also don't see him costing more then a fourth round pick so really, we would likely not be losing anything.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:05 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I think your assessment is optimistic. They may need to add a player to ensure a playoff spot but, in my opinion, they are a long way from being a cup contender. I would hate to see the team give up valuable assets for such a long shot.

Of course every team would like to get a 25-30 goal scorer. That is a first line or top quality second line player that is going to cost about $4 million per year in salary and a lot of assets in a trade. It's not worth it with the way this team is put together.

Gauthier has slowly been undoing this mess that Gainey got the team into. He's had to sacrifice some bodies that he probably didn't want to and he has lost a lot of flexibility with outrageous contracts handed out to guys on the downside of their careers.

I think the team needs to go with what they have for now and see how long it takes them. It might mean an early exit from the playoffs or even no playoffs at all... god forbid. But young players are developing, free agents will become available and there is a potential for trades.

It is almost guaranteed that our defense will look different. Most of the pieces are already there, but not in playing condition (Markov and Gorges, for example).

Sacrificing the future for a complete longshot is a poor strategy. I would like the team to stay the course and try to build on what they have.
Don't need to make major changes, just a few touch-ups, don't sacrifice any major future, you miss understand. This is basically same team who got to the final four last year. We are near top of league defensively, but our offensive could use shot in the arm for deep playoff run.

A veteran defenseman who can move the puck is surest way to increase overall goals scored. Somebody 30ish, along the lines of Wisniewki but little older, can score 10 goals - 40 points. Don't give up much future, something like Wisnieski trade. A late round pick maybe include a Desnarhais where we have 3-4 small, semi-offensive centers. Weber could do the job someday but think he is not completely ready yet.

Like to get a little stronger up front. Somebody with some size, speed a little tough who can pop 20 goals. A Simmonds from LA mode. Maybe include Kostitsyn is trade? I like a Dustin Penner but his skating style is not fast like rest of Habs and his trade value is high, so exclude him I would think.