HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do at the deadline? Should PG spend extra cash? / Pre-deadline thread

Old
01-16-2011, 08:13 AM
Mr. Hab

vCash: 500
Add a #4 or #5 dman...

IMO, I'd love for us to add a solid defensive #4 or #5 dman...he doesn't have to have a star name, just be able to play 18+ solid minutes (or more). Also...this d-man will help Hamrlik, Gill,etc...have a bit of rest before the playoffs (if we make it, here's to hoping we do of course! ). I don't feel good playing Weber or Picard in playoffs...yet. (maybe next season for Weber...I just feel like there are too many ????'s with his defense, with or without the puck).

PK Subban
Wisniewski
Hamrlik
___?___
Gill
Spacek
-------------- ----------------
7. Weber or Picard
8. Picard or Weber

------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------
And...where's Mathieu Carle? (is he still injured?).
I'd love to know if he can be our #6 or #7 dman? (just needs 10-15 games).

How about Festerling? He should be more solid (defensively) than Weber and/or Picard, no?

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

What about Matt Moulson? Do you think guys he could help our hockey club?

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:19 AM
MM425

The insanity of some of the posters on these boards never ceases to amaze me.

We're going to make the playoffs and still have a very good shot at taking the divison and we should be sellers?

I suspect depth moves will be made but how exactly is entering the playoffs with pretty much the same roster as last year a bad thing?

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM425 View Post

We're going to make the playoffs and still have a very good shot at taking the divison and we should be sellers?

I suspect depth moves will be made but how exactly is entering the playoffs with pretty much the same roster as last year a bad thing?
We won't be entering the POs with Gorges and Markov this year. Weber, PK and Wiz are compensating for those two very big losses, but Gorges was a monster during the POs last year. He will surely be missed. The good thing is that we have Spacek finally playing on his natural wing and he's looking even better. If we don't bring in any other Dman, then our D squad and Price will have to bring up their game as we did last year.

I've said it before, if CGY is still around the bottom part of the West, I'd really try to bring Iginla here.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:45 AM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
We won't be entering the POs with Gorges and Markov this year. Weber, PK and Wiz are compensating for those two very big losses, but Gorges was a monster during the POs last year. He will surely be missed. The good thing is that we have Spacek finally playing on his natural wing and he's looking even better. If we don't bring in any other Dman, then our D squad and Price will have to bring up their game as we did last year.

I've said it before, if CGY is still around the bottom part of the West, I'd really try to bring Iginla here.
It would cost us too much for what he is worth. I'd pass.

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:50 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Don't need to make major changes, just a few touch-ups, don't sacrifice any major future, you miss understand. This is basically same team who got to the final four last year. We are near top of league defensively, but our offensive could use shot in the arm for deep playoff run.

A veteran defenseman who can move the puck is surest way to increase overall goals scored. Somebody 30ish, along the lines of Wisniewki but little older, can score 10 goals - 40 points. Don't give up much future, something like Wisnieski trade. A late round pick maybe include a Desnarhais where we have 3-4 small, semi-offensive centers. Weber could do the job someday but think he is not completely ready yet.

Like to get a little stronger up front. Somebody with some size, speed a little tough who can pop 20 goals. A Simmonds from LA mode. Maybe include Kostitsyn is trade? I like a Dustin Penner but his skating style is not fast like rest of Habs and his trade value is high, so exclude him I would think.
There aren't may 40 point defensemen out there that you are going to get with a late round pick. As for getting stronger up front, Kosty is the most physical of our top six forwards and is fourth on the team in goals. Simmonds actually has fewer hits and fewer goals than Kosty. I wouldn't against picking him up but I would want to replace one of our less physical players... and one who has less offensive talent than Kostitsyn but I don't think you are going to get him for a Darche or a Pyatt.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:52 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM425 View Post

I wouldn't be an outright seller unless someone absolutely overwhelmed me with a trade offer but I wouldn't give up a lot of assets for a rental player either. We are getting closer, so let's not jeopardize it by playing for a long shot.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
It would cost us too much for what he is worth. I'd pass.
How do you know?

Iginla is coming off a rather average season with 69pts. He's on pace for 72 this year.
Calgary is going nowhere. They have a new GM (interim, I believe..not sure). It might just be the perfect time to revamp and rebuild, just like we did with Koivu.
We let Koivu walk and went after Gomez, not the greatest decision.
If Feaster wants to rebuild from scratch, it might be a good time to move Iginla. Seeing it would be a rebuild, prospects and picks would probably be the asking price.

I'd have no problem trading some decent prospect + picks for Iggy.
He is perfect for our team.

Old
01-16-2011, 10:58 AM
JayBee*

All depends where the Habs are at come the deadline. If they're tops in the division, I say management makes a hard press at

a) getting a solid defensive D-man to replace Gorges
b) A rugged top 6 winger

They don't have to be top line players... just guys who can solidify the D and top 6 positions.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:31 AM
donghabs98

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
All depends where the Habs are at come the deadline. If they're tops in the division, I say management makes a hard press at

a) getting a solid defensive D-man to replace Gorges
b) A rugged top 6 winger

They don't have to be top line players... just guys who can solidify the D and top 6 positions.
I would try for Iginla or Penner

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:34 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
I would try for Iginla or Penner
You would have to overpay for Iggy...not Penner...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:36 AM
TheBuriedHab

I don't know. What other assets can we give up? We already gave up a 2nd rounder, do you really want to give up another pick this year? Our prospect depth is not too deep imo, so I'd be hesitant to give up a good prospect for a rental. PG also said hes not a fan of trading assets for a player that will only play 15-20 games for your club. So If he makes a big move, it should be fairly soon. But we don't have too many chips to move.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 12:17 PM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
I don't know. What other assets can we give up? We already gave up a 2nd rounder, do you really want to give up another pick this year? Our prospect depth is not too deep imo, so I'd be hesitant to give up a good prospect for a rental. PG also said hes not a fan of trading assets for a player that will only play 15-20 games for your club. So If he makes a big move, it should be fairly soon. But we don't have too many chips to move.
Dominic Moore says Hi.

dcal64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
You would have to overpay for Iggy...not Penner...
You have to overpay for every deadline trade. And what exactly do you think Feaster would ask for Iggy?

Old
01-16-2011, 01:28 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
Dominic Moore says Hi.
Just going off what PG said in his Presser. Plus the moore deal was not a major move anyways. We are talking about big name Rentals. I could see PG adding a bottom pairing Dman at the deadline but I doubt he adds a big piece. Just another minor deal like moore last season

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:52 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

It's good to have dreams, but there is no package of players that could land Iginla without sending the organization onto a lengthy trip to oblivion.

The organization is not close enough to contention and not deep enough to even think about this move.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:10 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
It's good to have dreams, but there is no package of players that could land Iginla without sending the organization onto a lengthy trip to oblivion.

The organization is not close enough to contention and not deep enough to even think about this move.
Pretty much. One of my favourite players in the league, but the idea of landing Iginla reeks of future regret.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Forsead

Obviously I would want a big, dman who hits, play physical, can intimidate, have some mobility, can log good amount of time while been reliable in his zone and is not too old. Regehr is obviously a dream player in this case.

Also I can see the Habs adding a good complimentary player that can play in some role and even help the offense a guy like David Moss, urtis Glencross, David Clarkson perhaps Brendan Yip and David Jones.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:26 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

a 3rd liner and a D-men

if Kostitsyn is trade they will get another top6

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:53 AM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

Hi, Flames fan here; I'm not here to troll around or anything, just wondering about your feelings on a bit of a blockbuster. With Markov and Gorges out, defensive depth is lacking a bit, Hamrlik and Spacek are playing more than they should etc so I'm wondering if this is something you would be opposed to:

To Montreal:
Jarome Iginla
Robyn Regehr

To Calgary:
Lars Eller
Louis Leblanc
AK46
(Possibly) Hamrlik/Spacek/other salary dump

Montreal receives a top line winger who's producing at just under a PPG pace with literally no help. Tanguay's rebirth aside, Iginla still has absolutely no help. And his chemistry with Cammalleri is well-documented. He's a beast in the playoffs, and he's the kind of player who would give guys like Chara and Pronger a handful over a long playoff series, freeing up their attention from smaller players like Plekanec, Gomez, Gionta, Cammi etc. He's signed for 2 more years after this one.

They also get a shutdown defender who's still among the best in the game when it comes to neutralizing opponents top threats; Regehr has been a beast since he and J-Bo were paired together. He'd go great alongside Hal Gill in Lemaire's system, and fills the void for next year when Gill's contract is up. He is also signed for another 2 years at 4 per. Markov, Hamrlik, Spacek, Gill, and Wisniewski are all UFAs at the end of the year, and Gorges is an RFA. The Habs need SOMEONE under contract to stabilize the back end.

I'm sure giving up Leblanc and Eller isn't something the Habs were planning on doing, but they hold onto their first this year and if they win a Cup, isn't that what it's all about anyway? Flames jumpstart their rebuild and the Habs become contenders in the East.

This is a win-win for both teams; someone make it happen.

TheDoctor10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:55 AM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
How do you know?

Iginla is coming off a rather average season with 69pts. He's on pace for 72 this year.
Calgary is going nowhere. They have a new GM (interim, I believe..not sure). It might just be the perfect time to revamp and rebuild, just like we did with Koivu.
We let Koivu walk and went after Gomez, not the greatest decision.
If Feaster wants to rebuild from scratch, it might be a good time to move Iginla. Seeing it would be a rebuild, prospects and picks would probably be the asking price.

I'd have no problem trading some decent prospect + picks for Iggy.
He is perfect for our team.
He's playing on a roster full of AHL forwards and Alex Tanguay where the offense still is designed to run through him, and everybody knows it. See how many points you put up when you're a team's Obi-Wan Kenobi

TheDoctor10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 03:25 AM
FF de Mars

What about Vanek ? Left winger, could replace Kostsitsyn.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:27 AM
No Team Needed

I would trade Andrei Kostitsyn for either:

- JP Dumont/Radulov's rights
- RJ Umberger (add a prospect for Columbus)
- Brad Boyes/Eric Brewer (add player to balance cap)

and then trade for:

- Eric Brewer (Add the first if needed)

Best deal we'll get for Kostitsyn is a sideways deal, unless we add a bit to it.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:15 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

I'd try for a Cup this year. Have to sacrifice a little of our future but would rather be serious contender for Cup on eve of playoffs then a fringe playoff team usually gone in first round every year.

Eller and Kostitsyn for Penner and 2nd round pick in 2011. Eller is tough to trade but have to give to get. Penner gives us size and skill on top 2 lines to off set big shutdown defensemen in playoffs like Pronger or Chara. Oilers #2 pick be early in second round lets us move our #1 pick and probably still get same player we want.

Our #1 draft pick for Chris Phillips and 4th round pick in 2011. I added a mid round pick back as first alone for Phillips is plenty high. Losing Markov and Gorges and adding Wis alone not enough. Like to take blueline up a notch for playoff run.

May even throw a prospect like Palushaj for a veteran playoff forward with some size...somebody like a Jason Arnott.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
He's playing on a roster full of AHL forwards and Alex Tanguay where the offense still is designed to run through him, and everybody knows it. See how many points you put up when you're a team's Obi-Wan Kenobi
I'm aware of it. I'm hoping the stars align for us to land Iggy. I believe our chances of landing him are very slim, borderline non-existent. It is a pipe dream, and Gauthier would have to do a heck of a salesman's job in order to convince Feaster to move Iggy and make him the best offer too.