HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sim leaving NYI to play in Switzerland

Old
01-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Isles Enforcer

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Theres a million and a half things I want to say about this but I'll just let it be and say

THANK THE FREAKING LORD!

One of the worst players ever to don the royal blue.

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:10 PM
TheBoss22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Didn't like the Sim signing to begin with.

Liked the re-signing as he took the time to get my son a puck at his first game in the locker room. A real nice gesture that, to a man, I'll be eternally grateful. Made my 3 year old son's day even better a year or so back.

Don't like him leaving as he saves Cheap-skate Charlie some cash.

In a way, good for him. F this clown shoes organization and the B-port shuttle.

If I were him, I'd have left too telling the GM and the owner to go **** themselves.
On the road during warm ups, Sim always flips pucks to the kids or Islander fans. While most other guys can't be bothered to acknowledge your existence.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Antidote

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
For all the **** he gets Sim ALWAYS busted his ass out there unlike some of our "core" guys. Good luck in Europe Sim.
I agree! All you can ask of any player is to do as much as he can with what he has - some are just given more than others. Europe could work out very well for Sim and living and playing out a career in Europe for a few years has got to be a better bet than selling used cars in Great Neck or whatever 33 year-old ex-hockey players do with their lives.

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:21 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Crap, there goes Bridgeport's offense.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:35 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
For all the **** he gets Sim ALWAYS busted his ass out there unlike some of our "core" guys. Good luck in Europe Sim.
This. The hate for Sim was ridiculous. Just because idiot coaches played him beyond his means doesn't take away from the way he played the game.

But hey, I guess some people like the Yashins and the Frolovs of the world.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:19 AM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzo View Post
This. The hate for Sim was ridiculous. Just because idiot coaches played him beyond his means doesn't take away from the way he played the game.

I don't think anyone is denying that he didn't bust his ass but, I sure as hell won't miss him.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 05:05 AM
lost35*

now Weight and Eaton are the only guys left who have their name on the cup

lost35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 07:39 AM
Doyle

Jon Sim set to play in Europe after clearing waivers

http://nhlhotstove.com/jon-sim-set-t...aring-waivers/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:59 AM
IslesNorway

I wonder if Snow was in on this all the way and he and Sim more or less made a deal that would save the Isles' face and some money at the same time whereas Sim would get his career back on track in Europe?

I take it Sim knew his NHL career was over and didn't fancy playing in the AHL, so Europe because a much more interesting option. He will make very good money, play top minutes and have a few more years left to play as opposed to in North America.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:26 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Boy I won't miss him horrific & often momentum changing penalties. Then the "what did I do" stare followed by the look an 8 year old girl gets before she cries. He played hard but he just wasn't good at much except taking penalties. Check ya later sim

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Marco Pagnani
Stalking

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzo View Post

agreed

Marco Pagnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

He was given ample opportunity, on a two-way deal, to produce and didn't. I really don't see how the Isles gave him a raw deal in this instance. He's making what he feels is the right decision for him. That's all.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:40 PM
OlTimeHockey

http://kings.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8465024

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 05:11 PM
jonas2244

Sim signed with Fribourg-Gottéron until the end of the season.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Montandon

Send a message via MSN to Montandon
Hi Isles Fans

Jon Sim signed today a contract for the rest of the season with Fribourg Gottéron, 6th in swiss championship.

In Switzerland you're allowed to line up 4 foreign players per game. Sim will probably play his first game with Fribourg on Tuesday. Fribourg signed Sim to replace Serge Aubin (Columbus, Colorado, Atlanta).

In Fribourg he will meet Cristobal Huet, Shawn Heins (San José, Pittsburgh, Atlanta), Mark Mowers (Detroit, Boston) and Björn Melin (Anaheim).

My question is:
Can you give me kind of a scouting report of him? What are his assets? Is he giving always 100%? What was his role on the Islanders team? Is he a good skater? Penalty killer?

Please note, that the ice rink in Switzerland is bigger and the game level is bit higher as the AHL.

Greetings from Fribourg (the town, where Mark Streit got his first chance to play pro hockey )

Montandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 05:45 PM
On Edge

Sim certainly has limited ability and most of us saw that very clearly. But for the most part, he left what little he had on the ice. My issue with Sim was not so much him, but how he was used. Having him on the PP was more of an indictment of the group Snow/Wang put together and the coaching staff.

I have never been much of a Sim fan - BUT - I'd love to see some of HOW he plays rub off a little bit on a player who has a bit more talent and physical tools like Joensuu (go more to net, get his nose dirty, play with a bit of an edge) who will not be playing in this league unless he brings another element like this to his game.

I also have no problem with the effort Sim brought to the ice when he played here unlike some of the other forwards we have.

On Edge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 05:46 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
He's a pest type player, always gives 100%, is good at setting up in the crease and annoying the opposing goalie. Not very fast, but can chip in a goal here and there.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montandon View Post
My question is:
Can you give me kind of a scouting report of him? What are his assets? Is he giving always 100%? What was his role on the Islanders team? Is he a good skater? Penalty killer?

Please note, that the ice rink in Switzerland is bigger and the game level is bit higher as the AHL.

Greetings from Fribourg (the town, where Mark Streit got his first chance to play pro hockey )
Decent skater, but not top end. Definitely always gave 100%. His stickhandling is limited and he has little ability to make room for himself. That said, his physical play can create some room for linemates (not a whole lot, but some) and he is respectable at crashing the net and getting garbage goals there, especially if a linemate can create space for him.

In the NHL his lack of any particular offensive skill kept him limited as a 4th line agitator/PKer with spot duty on scoring lines as a crash the net/make space for skill players sort. But I do think he could be a pretty good goal scorer in Europe, where his smallish size will be less of a hindrance for him.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Decent skater, but not top end. Definitely always gave 100%. His stickhandling is limited and he has little ability to make room for himself. That said, his physical play can create some room for linemates (not a whole lot, but some) and he is respectable at crashing the net and getting garbage goals there, especially if a linemate can create space for him.

In the NHL his lack of any particular offensive skill kept him limited as a 4th line agitator/PKer with spot duty on scoring lines as a crash the net/make space for skill players sort. But I do think he could be a pretty good goal scorer in Europe, where his smallish size will be less of a hindrance for him.
honestly kinda hard to see how valuable he could be. we really didn't see much offensive ability (and i can't imagine where it'd come from now)... but he will try and will work his ass offf. he's a decent hustler, but a below average player.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:09 PM
NYI78

Quote:
Hi Isles Fans

Jon Sim signed today a contract for the rest of the season with Fribourg Gottéron, 6th in swiss championship.

In Switzerland you're allowed to line up 4 foreign players per game. Sim will probably play his first game with Fribourg on Tuesday. Fribourg signed Sim to replace Serge Aubin (Columbus, Colorado, Atlanta).

In Fribourg he will meet Cristobal Huet, Shawn Heins (San José, Pittsburgh, Atlanta), Mark Mowers (Detroit, Boston) and Björn Melin (Anaheim).

My question is:

how do we answer this one??? he will score a bunch of goals there and the other team will waste energy trying to rip his head off

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Augscura

Best of luck to Jon "the goal scorer" Sim.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post
honestly kinda hard to see how valuable he could be. we really didn't see much offensive ability (and i can't imagine where it'd come from now)... but he will try and will work his ass offf. he's a decent hustler, but a below average player.
We didn't see it at the NHL leve, but he's been a good goal scorer at every level except the NHL. He's shown some ability to bury the puck when he has time and space -- something that doesn't happen a lot in the NHL, but when it does he has been able to bury some goals. He's put up at least 10g in 3 of his past 4 seasons (not counting the season where he only played 2 games) and in the other he put up 9g in 49 games. Obviously not great stats, but he has shown some ability to crash the net and cash in junk goals and in a Euro league with bigger ice and where the competition is less talented/strong/fast, he would get more opportunities. For example, look at how he's played in the AHL (13g in 18 games in 08-09, and 7g in 8 games this season) or even how he used to be Mr October and Preseason in the NHL, a time when many teams tend to be playing looser defensively.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:58 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Hi Isles Fans

My question is:

He scored very well everywhere except in the NHL.

Watching him this season, I still can't believe he ever scored 17 goals in and NHL season.

He's a pesky guy and if he plays his NA game, he could get A LOT of PMs in the Swiss league.

His hands are not very good, but he's around the net a lot. Little offensive sense, poor passing game.

I think he's better suited for Germany/Austria - we'll see how he does in Gotteron.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 01-16-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Halakness Monster

I am so happy that he is no longer with this organization. I never liked him, or his style of play. He was Sean Avery with less talent believe it or not. 4 freaking points for the amount of ice time he receive is ridiculous. So to Mr. Jon Sim i hope you read this, **** off dont ever come back. You will not be missed.

Halakness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Mundy
Crikey

Now I just wish we can get rid of Gillies too. It would deserve this in celebration.

Mundy is offline   Reply With Quote