HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NCAA Hockey Thread

Old
08-20-2011, 04:33 PM
MadDevil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
terrible decision.

Agreed, just go with UND.
The NCAA is a ****ing joke. They get rid of a nickname that has decades of tradition behind it just so they can flex their muscles. Maybe they should take some of that muscle and apply it to fixing their corrupt football programs. I guess pushing around the smaller schools whose athletic departments don't rake in millions of dollars in revenue every year is more important.

I'll stop there before I go on a seven paragraph rampage...

MadDevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
The NCAA is hypocritical, corrupt, and riddled with bureaucratic nonsense. I can't take them seriously sometimes.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:45 PM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDevil View Post
The NCAA is a ****ing joke. They get rid of a nickname that has decades of tradition behind it just so they can flex their muscles. Maybe they should take some of that muscle and apply it to fixing their corrupt football programs. I guess pushing around the smaller schools whose athletic departments don't rake in millions of dollars in revenue every year is more important.

I'll stop there before I go on a seven paragraph rampage...
Fighting Irish, seminoles etc etc etch mutha ****ing etc...Why aren't those being challenged?

Maybe they should take away Georgia's name because it's offensive to dogs..

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:17 AM
BCdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
Fighting Irish, seminoles etc etc etch mutha ****ing etc...Why aren't those being challenged?

Maybe they should take away Georgia's name because it's offensive to dogs..
In FSU's case, it's because the school got the permission of the Seminole Tribe of Florida.

BCdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:19 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Some Shake-ups in NCAA Hockey.. Wont really do much to ECAC or HE, but AHA, WCHA, CCHA are definitely gonna have some things happening.

Looks like the CCHA will be no longer with the mass exodus of teams to the WCHA http://www.uscho.com/from-the-press-...-today-anyway/
ATLANTIC HOCKEY (12 teams, unchanged)
Air Force *
American International #
Army *
Bentley #
Canisius *
Connecticut *
Holy Cross *
Mercyhurst #
Niagara *
Rochester Institute of Technology ^
Robert Morris *
Sacred Heart *

BIG TEN (6 teams, new)
Michigan (from CCHA) *
Michigan State (from CCHA) *
Minnesota (from WCHA) *
Ohio State (from CCHA) *
Penn State (from independent) *
Wisconsin (from WCHA) *

CCHA (3 teams, loses 8)
Bowling Green *
Notre Dame *
Western Michigan *

ECAC HOCKEY (12 teams, unchanged)
Brown *
Clarkson ^
Colgate *
Cornell *
Dartmouth *
Harvard *
Princeton *
Quinnipiac *
Rensselaer ^
St. Lawrence ^
Union ^
Yale *

HOCKEY EAST (10 teams, unchanged)
Boston College *
Boston University *
Maine *
Massachusetts *
Massachusetts-Lowell #
Merrimack #
New Hampshire *
Northeastern *
Providence *
Vermont *

NCHC (6 teams, new)
Colorado College (from WCHA) ^
Denver (from WCHA) *
Miami (from CCHA) *
Minnesota-Duluth (from WCHA) #
Nebraska-Omaha (from WCHA) *
North Dakota (from WCHA) *

WCHA (9 teams, loses 7, adds 4)
Alaska (from CCHA) #
Alaska-Anchorage #
Bemidji State #
Ferris State (from CCHA) #
Lake Superior State (from CCHA) #
Michigan Tech #
Minnesota State #
Northern Michigan (from CCHA) #
St. Cloud State #

INDEPENDENT (1 team)
Alabama-Huntsville #

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/from-the-press-...#ixzz1Wnxekgnr

Could likely see teams from AHA go to the NCHC like Robert Morris, Niagara, and maybe Mercyhurst.

Also, a concept of RIT's new arena.

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 12:53 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Yeah, the WCHA is going to be junk. There isn't a single good team in that conference.

Old
09-04-2011, 01:18 AM
Eric Sachs

Those 4 AHa schools were meeting with the CCHA before they dissolved the league. Could also join up with the WCHA. Western Michigan is also leaning towards going the WCHA and they could give a bit more cred to that conference whose current top schools are looking like The left over Michigan schools and Ferris State. Apparently they are waiting to see what Notre Dame does before deciding where they head.

The one plus I can see coming out of this for the WCHA is that with the powerhouses now out of the WCHA/CCHA it gives these smaller schools better chances to make runs.

Eric Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I'm pleased that the ECAC and Hockey East are unchanged.

Old
09-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
HE still may add teams. They have expressed interest in expanding to 12 teams. They have an invitation out to Notre Dame and I'm sure they would also welcome one or 2 of those AHA schools.

Old
09-04-2011, 02:58 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Just as long as teams don't leave. I would never want to see the mass exodus like other conferences are seeing.

Old
09-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
If its a move that will get NCAA hockey more media attention and more games on TV, then I am all for it.

Ultimately I am going to hope for expansion beyond the 60 or so teams we have now, and have NCAA hockey become a ESPN mainstay like BB and football.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 04:16 PM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
If its a move that will get NCAA hockey more media attention and more games on TV, then I am all for it.

Ultimately I am going to hope for expansion beyond the 60 or so teams we have now, and have NCAA hockey become a ESPN mainstay like BB and football.
I'd love to see more games on espn or espn2.

I'm just happy most of the sioux games are on fox college sports.

Old
09-04-2011, 06:13 PM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Does anyone have any good stories about college hockey players?

Old
09-04-2011, 06:29 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post

Problem is hockey is real expensive to run for most schools (even those in traditional hockey places). Given that regular season college basketball is basically filler program for ESPN and isn't a driver of the college media deals it is very unlikely that the media rights money will ever be there to allow more schools to start programs. So unless you have a super rich alum that is willing to give 80-100 million to start a program like what happened with Penn St. college hockey expansion probably isn't going to happen.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Eric Sachs

The NCAA has set up a deal with VS to get games aired weekly. Add that to their coverage on CBS College network and the Big 10 network. College hockey coverage has grown greatly over the last few years.

Quote:
Versus, the television network owned by Comcast, is closing in on multiple agreements to air college hockey games this season.

Versus, which is soon re-branding itself as NBC Sports Network, has already been home to the NHL for the past six seasons.

The Versus package will not be a national deal, per se. It was not negotiated with College Hockey Inc. or the Hockey Commissioners Association. That is impossible given all of the deals confererences have separate Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) and teams have with other local channels.

But Versus is intending to reach agreement with all five current Division I leagues to air games on Friday or Saturday nights. Some of those deals have already been finalized. Versus is expected to make an announcement of its broadcast package once all of the deals have been completed.

CBS College Sports (former CSTV) already has a similar arrangement with the leagues. ESPN-U was doing some games, mainly Hockey East games on Sunday afternoons, but that appears to have been disbanded. NHL Network will continue to air some games, but is essentially only picking up existing coverage from local feeds.

Working with national networks is tricky, because most of the leagues have existing local deals. Hockey East, for example, has a contract with New England Sports Network (NESN), the CCHA has a deal with Fox Sports Detroit, and the WCHA has one with Fox Sports North. In addition, individual schools have a variety of local deals. In most cases, it is written in those contracts that those local or regional networks have precedence — i.e. the first right to pick which games it wants to broadcast.

Old
09-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
INCH is doing spotlight profiles of all kinds of players in college hockey.

Old
09-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
You mean, like knowing them personally? I have plenty of those .

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 12:19 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
You mean, like knowing them personally? I have plenty of those .
Yeah, exactly that...Partying stories and all that. I have a couple good ones.

Old
09-05-2011, 12:26 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
Yeah, exactly that...Partying stories and all that. I have a couple good ones.
I lived in a house on Main Street at UNH my senior year that had four separate units in it.

It was me and three of my buddies living downstairs, and in one of the upstairs unit lived four other dudes. We became cool with them throughout the year.

Now, one roommate's best friends happens to be Max Pacioretty (grew up in the same hometown in CT, went to his wedding this summer). Subsequently, we hung around all year with some of the hockey guys that Pacioretty knows. Pretty good times, hanging out with the dudes that every chick on campus hones in on.

This house we lived in was a joke, though. At the end of the year there were desks and chairs flying out of windows upstairs, etc.

I have a million other stories, half of which I don't remember. It was badass hanging in the hockey house though and being one of the guys, not just some schmuck trying to get in for the parties on weekends.

Old
09-05-2011, 12:41 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Quote:
I lived in a house on Main Street at UNH my senior year that had four separate units in it.

It was me and three of my buddies living downstairs, and in one of the upstairs unit lived four other dudes. We became cool with them throughout the year.

Now, one roommate's best friends happens to be Max Pacioretty (grew up in the same hometown in CT, went to his wedding this summer). Subsequently, we hung around all year with some of the hockey guys that Pacioretty knows. Pretty good times, hanging out with the dudes that every chick on campus hones in on.

This house we lived in was a joke, though. At the end of the year there were desks and chairs flying out of windows upstairs, etc.

I have a million other stories, half of which I don't remember. It was badass hanging in the hockey house though and being one of the guys, not just some schmuck trying to get in for the parties on weekends.

That is badass..Especially because you already were in there and knew the dudes.

A couple here, but shortened up..

My sophomore year the Sioux decided to try a different method in terms of giving students season tix. It was basically this: You got in line outside the ralph and when the door opened at 9am that friday, you went in, paid the 50 dollars for season tix (yeah, only 50 bucks...sick deal) and you got to run in and grab your seat (each seat had a number on it..you grabbed the piece of paper and that was your seat for the year).

At any rate, people started getting in line Tuesday morning..3 days before. I get a call when I was walking to class and my buddy said the line has started. I turned around and bolted. I took turns with friends saving spots in the line and going to class. By Thursday night the line had turned into a giant **** show. It wrapped around the ralph, around the tennis courts and up by the frat There were grills,booze bottles everywhere, tvs, nintendos, xboxs set up, etc. Some of the hockey players were driving by and pumping up the crowd. So matt Green drives by in his 1990 dodge caravan () and some drunk dude throws a beer bottle at the side of his van. Green stops the van, gets out and is basically ripping him in half with one hand. Everyone got quiet. I think porter and smaby were in the car...

I was out downtown the night Oshie was arrested with radja for pissing in the elevator. I mean, they were wasted, but the thing broke in the apt downtown...what do you want him to do?

Parise got a minor on premises for being at the rock (bar near campus). But I never saw him that night..

And the best...Matt frattin and Joe Finley getting absolutely housed and tossing kitchen plates, glasses, a washer and a kitchen table on to columbia road.

Actually, maybe better...I partied with a guy who lived in the same complex at toews his Sophomore year. Their building hired a maid to come in and clean the place because they were ****ing lazy. Apparently the maid found upwards of 100 empty condom wrappers under toews bed.

Old
09-05-2011, 12:47 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Wait, what happened to Zach when he was there?

Yeah, Radja's a pretty funny guy. He was older than I was. I mostly hung around with DeSimone, Sislo, Thompson, and a few other guys my age.

Absolutely hilarious dudes. Just wheeled a ton of broads and got wasted.

Old
09-05-2011, 12:56 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Quote:
Wait, what happened to Zach when he was there?

Yeah, Radja's a pretty funny guy. He was older than I was. I mostly hung around with DeSimone, Sislo, Thompson, and a few other guys my age.

Absolutely hilarious dudes. Just wheeled a ton of broads and got wasted.
I tend to think Zpar stayed somewhat clean when he was there. I lived right down the hall from him in the dorms my soph year.

He got his minor on premises because basically everyone in town knew who he was and the cops saw him at the rock when he was clearly underage. haha He was a god at UND. I'm not sure there will ever be a bigger recruit in terms of hype and performance. Gophers fans were beyond pissed when he chose ND. He was booed beyond belief at mariucci. There was actually talk that Crosby would've gone to UND had he not gone juniors in Canada.

Parise could've pulled anyone he wanted on campus. I hooked up with this girl that I later saw trying to get with him I was walking out of the dorms one day and my buddy and I talked to Parise's woman for a bit. She's really nice. And she struck gold. haha

Old
09-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I knew a few Cornell players. Topher Scott was a bit of a chubby chaser. Even though he could have had any girl he wanted, he often ended up with the big girls. This is even funnier because Topher is like 5'6".

Ben Scrivens can't hold his liquor too well, but the bartenders always gave him free drinks. I benefited from that a few times when we were drinking together. He was smart enough to give them to other people once he was drunk, so I never saw him have too much of a problem.

A Cornell defenceman that shall remain nameless came to my fraternity's parties often, because he knew several of us from classes. One time he banged a chick on my friend's couch, and they were in there for over an hour, my poor friend just wanted to go and pass out, but they were still occupying his room. He made it up to him later though, with a bottle of booze and free tickets to a sold out game.

Old
09-09-2011, 03:35 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
The ECAC would be a perfect Fit for RIT to join given the Scholarship/Lack of Scholarships.

If AFA, BobMo, Mercyhurst, NIagara, and/or Canisius leave the AHA, it would be an even bigger joke of a Conference that RIT would roll through with ease. Their pairwise would absolutely suck though.

As for Stories, RIT was DIII while i was there, but i remember going to the Hockey house/Dungeon. One time A few Kegs were kicked and the Freshmen/Younger players were looking at them like sad puppies.
I walk over like Droz from PCU and tap the two kicked ones with complete fluidity. I fill my cup, then, while walking away I say "You better learn this quick rookies." The older guys start cracking up and busting their balls....

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote