HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Targets 2011

Old
01-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I would target him, Jan Hejda, and maybe Curtis Glencross on the UFA market.
Konopka, Glencross and Hejda would not come cheap. I can see the first 2 seeking 2M+ contracts and Hejda over 3.5M. They might not get anything close to it but im sure these 3 would have enough demand around the league based on their play since their last contracts.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
I don't think expensive cap hits are as big of a deal as the length of the contract.

For example, if paying player X (3rd line, FO winning, elite PKer) 2M for 1 year as opposed to 1.3M for 1 year gets them on your team, you do it. The Oilers aren't going to be in any sort of cap trouble next season.
No we're not in cap trouble yet. If we're talking about signing bottom 6 guys for ~1M then I have no problem with that.
The 'Bulin contract is the type of thing I have a problem with. You sign a guy to a long term deal for too much money and you're essentially rewarding him for what he did with another team.
Free agents always go for security. They want the long term contracts. They aren't going to win the cup with us any time soon, so there has to be some kind of payoff. These guys want to hit home runs and I want us to stop throwing fast-balls right down the middle.

Thats why I think we should stay away from the free agent pool until guys will sign with us for the chance to win the cup. All we're getting these days are Fosters and Frasers anyway. How is that working out.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Master Lok

I think you have to identify the holes that will be in the lineup next year first before signing UFA's. Who are the Oilers UFA's whose contract are expiring in the summer? Do we want them back?

UFA: Ryan Jones, Jim Vandermeer, Steve Mac, Jason Strudwick, Alex Giroux, Martin Gerber, Jeff Deslauriers.

RFA: Cogliano, Stortini, Jacques, Reddox, Smid, Peckham, Chorney, Omarra, Belle.

Assuming that

1) the Oilers finish with a lottery pick and they manage to pick up a 1st line centre with size in Couturier...
2) Anton Lander comes over
3) Hemsky and Penner both resign. If they don't resign then the Oilers will be looking to trade them sometime in the year and will have to think about a replacement in the top six.
4) Say Jones does not resign (more money elsewhere), Giroux leaves, JDD leaves, Strudwick retires.
5) Jacques (or Stortini) is not resigned
6) If Steve Mac is not resigned, then the Oilers will simply look for another enforcer in the role.
7) Assume that the Oilers continue with the Hall experiment at center.
8) Fraser is traded or waived

Penner - Hall - Hemsky (top scoring)
Paajarvi - Gagner - Omark
Reddox - Horcoff - Eberle (PK and defensive line)
Cogliano/Hartikainen - Omarra - Lander

PB: Hartikainen or Cogliano, Stortini or Mac, Brule

Whitney - Petry
Gilbert - Peckham
Smid - Foster

Khabibulin/ Dubnyk

Questions
1) Does it make sense to have Lander play 4th line? Or play on the 1st line in the AHL?
2) Where does Couturer fit in?
3) who should the 7th dman be - Belle? or an older defensive player (Vandermeer?)

Notes
1) I don't actually think the Oilers need a defensive centre anymore. I think Omarra or Lander could fill that role along with Horcoff. If the Oilers draft Couturier or Hall continues to play centre, then I don't think they need a big power centre as UFA either. And Pitlick is coming...

2) I think the Oilers could use a top 4 defensive defender and bump the kids down - but it's not the end of the world if they give the kids (Petry, Chorney, Smid, Belle) the minutes either. It just means the Oilers might only be challenging for the 8-12th position in the West next season.

3) Assuming that Gerber and JDD both leave - the Oilers really need a stable veteran goaltender in the AHL as backup to Khabibulin/Dubnyk. That could be Gerber, JDD or someone else.

Last edited by Master Lok: 01-14-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:40 PM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
Konopka, Glencross and Hejda would not come cheap. I can see the first 2 seeking 2M+ contracts and Hejda over 3.5M. They might not get anything close to it but im sure these 3 would have enough demand around the league based on their play since their last contracts.
Konopka would not get anywhere near 2M. He is having the exact same year as he did in Tampa Bay in '10 (elite faceoffs, willing but not great fighter, protoypical goon fourth liner numbers) and he was rewarded with a 0.6M contract for that.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Little Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
RFA: Hemsky, Penner, Cogliano, Stortini, Jacques, Reddox, Smid, Peckham, Chorney, Omarra, Belle.
Huh?

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:52 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with a lot of the names already mentioned like Hejda, Glencross, Laich etc., but I'm not big on Konopka. I also wouldn't be against bringing Marty back in a 4th line role. He's good on the draw(55%+), can PK and is a great locker-room guy.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Bank Shot

RFAs are a good place to look when trying to improve your club. Target cap strapped teams and pick up solid players for pennies on the dollar. It worked for the Canucks picking up Erhoff, and Atlanta acquiring half of Chicago's team. Typically RFAs don't get quite the same amount of money as UFAs so that is an additional bonus.

The Oilers should try to pry Brouwer out of Chicago. The Blackhawks are completely up against it again this season and may be willing to part with him for a second tier prospect and late pick. He's a guy that plays physical and can actually play in a team's top nine. I believe he can play either wing as well, and has played anywhere from the 1st to third line with the Hawks.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:08 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Penner - Hall - Hemsky
Paajarvi - Gagner - Eberle
Uspshall - Horcoff- Omark
Clutterbuck- Konopka - Jones

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:25 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Glen X to a 2M per year for 2 years.

Rest of the market suck. Jan Hejda is overated.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:37 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSean View Post
I'd love to get Pitkanen back. I wonder if he would come back for 4.5.
I will be nice(sort of )

Pitkanen in edmonton had the same problem he had in Philly--when the pressure and demands got high--he wilted and tried to crawl under a rock. I remember when we got him and a few philly posters said "If he can handle the pressure he will be great--if not--he will drive you crazy"

I will chose my words carefully here(learned this the hard way)--There is less pressure in Carolina both on and off the ice and he is a happy camper where he is and I do not see him going to a city where there is a lot of "true hockey pressure". Also--He has just brought his cat over so i think they will resign him

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:43 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Upshall
Fiddler
Handzus
Reasoner
Glencross
Montador
Konopka
Hejda
Dvorak (until he retires, I'm going to continue to lobby for his return)
Nichol
Madden

I don't think there's a top 6 forward or top pairing defenseman in that list, but they'd all be very welcome additions.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:49 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I will be nice(sort of )

Pitkanen in edmonton had the same problem he had in Philly--when the pressure and demands got high--he wilted and tried to crawl under a rock. I remember when we got him and a few philly posters said "If he can handle the pressure he will be great--if not--he will drive you crazy"

I will chose my words carefully here(learned this the hard way)--There is less pressure in Carolina both on and off the ice and he is a happy camper where he is and I do not see him going to a city where there is a lot of "true hockey pressure". Also--He has just brought his cat over so i think they will resign him
There was a lot said about him not being willing to play through pain (and considering the injury problems we've had since he was here, maybe more Oilers should be that way), but from what I can tell, that was all (or at least mostly) just fan speculation. There was also talk about him not fitting in in the dressing room. I think he spent the entire year in a hotel and never once went out looking for a permanent place to stay.

But as for his play on the ice, he was fantastic. If he was having trouble dealing with pressure it wasn't affecting his play any.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
Huh?
Sorry you're right, I was looking one year ahead.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:56 PM
TkachevYak2Slepy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I like Hejda actually, though I think his game is slipping a bit.

Other guys I have on my radar, Joel Ward from Nash, I love his game, Rick Rypien, Verne Fiddler and maybe Boyd Gordon.
I really like Rypien;if only he could play hockey as well

TkachevYak2Slepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:49 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
I don't know about the Jones-Gagner-Eberle line, might be an example of playing guys not suited for roles.

Penner-Hall-Hemsky (Scoring 1)
Paajarvi-Gagner-Omark (Scoring 2 playing softer minutes)
Cogliano (FA)-Horcoff-Eberle (ES match up line)
Jones-Konopka-Reddox (Energy and toughness that can get and keep the puck when needed)

Looks OK on paper, IMO.
You have to switch Eberle and Omark around. Eberle does not play on the third line. Jones should be on the 3rd line as well. Cogs should be traded as we need to add some size on the 3rd line.

Let our young guys develop for the next 3 years and go with this.
Penner, Hall, Hemsky
PRV, Gagner, Eberle
Jones, Horc, Glencross
Brule, Konopka, Omara

Two scoring lines, 3rd line that plays hard and can still score and hit, 4th line that can play minutes. The 3rd and 4th line can play the PK also.

rockinghockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:54 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Penner - Hall - Hemsky
Paajarvi - Gagner - Eberle
Uspshall - Horcoff- Omark
Clutterbuck- Konopka - Jones
I like this line up also. The 4th line looks good that can play good minutes.

rockinghockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
If they're willing to accept deals in the 2-3 year range, I do it.

Cap number is less important than cap length.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:05 PM
caynetra

Phillips would solidify the D

Chris Phillips would by my only main target.
Brewer would help but I see him staying in St.Louis.
I don't like Glencross, I think there are questions about his attitude.

caynetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
You have to switch Eberle and Omark around. Eberle does not play on the third line. Jones should be on the 3rd line as well. Cogs should be traded as we need to add some size on the 3rd line.

Let our young guys develop for the next 3 years and go with this.
Penner, Hall, Hemsky
PRV, Gagner, Eberle
Jones, Horc, Glencross
Brule, Konopka, Omara

Two scoring lines, 3rd line that plays hard and can still score and hit, 4th line that can play minutes. The 3rd and 4th line can play the PK also.
Point on Eberle taken, but I don't think Jones or Omark can play hard ES minutes with Horcoff, while I believe Eberle can. He'll also be PK and PP, so minutes won't be an issue. Also, maybe find room for the Red Ox?

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:49 PM
nullmeatbag

Paajarvi/Omark - Hall - Hemsky
Omark/Paajarvi - Gagner - Eberle
Penner - Horcoff - Cogliano/Brule
Jones - UFA - Brule/Cogliano

Whitney - Petry
Gilbert - UFA
Smid - Peckham

Gives us two young scoring lines and a reliable third line that can be put up against other teams' top lines. Even a fourth that could chip in once in a blue moon and provide some energy.

Sign a reliable bottom-six guy (Halpern?) and cut ties with Jacques, waive Fraser and SMac. In a year or two, guys like Pitlick, Lander, Hartikainen, and Hamilton can step in.

Maybe trading away a smaller guy in Cogliano or Brule would allow another UFA (Laich?) to slot in on the third line.

Sign an upgrade on Foster (I'd take a Phillips on a one- or two-year deal) and let Vandermeer go.

nullmeatbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Bobblehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
I don't see a fit for a UfA D-man.

Whitney-Gilbert
Peckham-Petry
Smid-Foster

Mine is based on moving Smid and/or Foster at the deadline. Smid's works (UFA I think and small dollars) for a team hard up against the cap. I like Ladi, I like what he brings but man he gets rocked alot. I fear he's nogging is pretty closed to being fried. Foster isn't as good as mgmt thought. I now understand why Maguire was saying that it was too much $$ on July 1st. I'd still keep him around. Pair him with a vet and see where it goes, but if Tambo gets a good offer on deadline day from a playoff bound team needing a big shot, I say he takes it.

Other guy I see going on deadline or earlier is Cogliano.... possibly Brule and Stortini.

Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:26 PM
lakai17

would you welcome Brewer back?

Whitney-Brewer
Peckham-Gilbert
Smid-Petry

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:32 PM
NoTradeClause

I'm pretty sure I only post about Konopka. But I totally agree 100% that he's what we need. Brings a "crazy" side to his game that keeps teams honest. Willing and a pretty good middleweight. 60% on faceoffs, and a pretty funny guy as well.

NoTradeClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:47 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Thank you . I'm reading this thread and wondering why so many people have Eberle in on the third line . Not following that logic at all .

I'll pass on Glencross . He's gotta be corrupted by the years spent in Calgary .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:55 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
There was a lot said about him not being willing to play through pain (and considering the injury problems we've had since he was here, maybe more Oilers should be that way), but from what I can tell, that was all (or at least mostly) just fan speculation. There was also talk about him not fitting in in the dressing room. I think he spent the entire year in a hotel and never once went out looking for a permanent place to stay.

But as for his play on the ice, he was fantastic. If he was having trouble dealing with pressure it wasn't affecting his play any.
MAct's comments

"He says he can't go, so i guess he can't go" that was more or less what mact said--this was also what was said several times in philly as well

After the trade--both media that covered the oilers and flyers commented that Pitkanen could thrive in a non traditional hockey market

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote