HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When will Cody Eakin be part of this team?

Old
01-14-2011, 12:02 PM
gintonic

vCash: 500
When will Cody Eakin be part of this team?

I don't think there's any question that Eakin's talent will have him in the NHL, and maybe even a star in the league, but when is it reasonable to expect him to be playing with the Caps? I know he was drafted in 2009, but is he under contract yet? and if not, when should that be expected?

This could be the answer to the 2nd line center. This kid can play.

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Devil Dancer

MaJo is the 2nd line center moving forward. He's got what it takes, all he needs is some seasoning. As for Eakin, I think this team is too young as it is. Give him at least most of 2011-2012 in Hershey.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:05 PM
LetsGoBears

Wasn't GMGM comment on the situation this pre-season along the lines of the hardest decision as a GM to send him back down to Jrs?

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:21 PM
gintonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
MaJo is the 2nd line center moving forward. He's got what it takes, all he needs is some seasoning. As for Eakin, I think this team is too young as it is. Give him at least most of 2011-2012 in Hershey.
yeah I know on MaJo, and I do think he'll eventually be a solid center, but from everything I've seen and read so far, Eakin is supposed to be superior talent-wise

Old
01-14-2011, 12:23 PM
gintonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
Wasn't GMGM comment on the situation this pre-season along the lines of the hardest decision as a GM to send him back down to Jrs?
I believe so. I'm not sure of all the details on this, but I would think this to be his last season in juniors. That's why I can't believe Kootenay gave up what they did just to have him for a few months. So if he's done with juniors after this season, what's the expectation regarding next year? that he'll do time in Hershey or come straight to the Caps?

Old
01-14-2011, 12:32 PM
sillygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by gintonic View Post
yeah I know on MaJo, and I do think he'll eventually be a solid center, but from everything I've seen and read so far, Eakin is supposed to be superior talent-wise
from what i have read about eakin, his hands aren't that great. i don't know though, because i have only seen a few games of his.

sillygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:34 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
I don't think there's any question that Eakin's talent will have him in the NHL, and maybe even a star in the league, but when is it reasonable to expect him to be playing with the Caps? I know he was drafted in 2009, but is he under contract yet? and if not, when should that be expected?

This could be the answer to the 2nd line center. This kid can play.
IMO I don't think he'll be a 'star' but I do believe he'll play in the NHL. I just don't quite see him being a 2nd liner center as he seems to more of a goal scorer than distributor. I could also imagine he could be moved to the wing.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=99396

No need to rush him. Next season in Hershey would be fine barring some major house cleaning next off season and the need for some cheap rooks.

01-14-2011, 12:44 PM
third man in

Yeah his skill set seems to be better suited as a grinder although I could see him playing wing on a scoring line. He will most likely be a 3rd liner though. His speed, defense, and work ethic should bring another dimension for this team.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:57 PM
The Viking Fury

For people "in the know," what sort of annual goal totals do you think he'd get at the NHL level?

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

i dont think the caps need any more rookies in the line up at the moment. hold off calling him off as long as we can

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:30 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

What position does Eakin actually play? During the WJC I recall one of the commentators indicate that he had played all 3 forward positions and had been used both of the PK and PP. But what position is he best suited for. He sounds something like Brooks Laich in that he can play a wing or a center.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:41 PM
bonzaibondra12

I don't think he will ever be on the Caps. I have a feeling he will be a piece used in TDL deal. Not because he isn't good, but because I think he is a piece that might be valued high by another team that could get us a win now player.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:45 PM
gintonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
I don't think he will ever be on the Caps. I have a feeling he will be a piece used in TDL deal. Not because he isn't good, but because I think he is a piece that might be valued high by another team that could get us a win now player.
Oh no, now you're making me nervous. The trades of late haven't really been that good, and the TDL trades of last year were terrible. Please, no TDL deals. GMGM seems to be able to draft well, but the trades, save for a couple, have not been good.

Old
01-14-2011, 01:48 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Oh no, now you're making me nervous. The trades of late haven't really been that good, and the TDL trades of last year were terrible. Please, no TDL deals. GMGM seems to be able to draft well, but the trades, save for a couple, have not been good.
Well the way I see it is a team is going to want a potential 2C prospect in return for a 2C. Mojo isn't going anywhere, MP85 blows, and Eakin is probably the asking price.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Capitlols

I see Eakin taking over Chimera's spot in another year, with proper development he might be able to become a 2nd line fixture.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:30 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Koolaid! Next year baby. Wait, didnt he get traded for like 8 guys?

Joking aside, even if he looks good in camp next fall, I think its destined he ends up in Hershey. Assuming he is eligible to be in the AHL next year. If so, I think he will get a few NHL games next year, assuming he is eligible to do so. An injury fill in a year from now is a part of our team.

If he develops as hoped, I see him in the starting lineup at 4LW October 2012.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:46 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
I optimistically disagree. Moving Eakin would go against what we've seen of GMGM of late as well as go against the Leonsis plan of building a team not just for one season but for some time.

I thought of Eakin and Chimera being on the same line, that would be quite a fast line, but if his hands are not the best, it would make sense that he's Chimera's replacement. His hands couldn't be as bad as Chimera's.

I'm not hoping for a SC this season, but just a better showing in playoffs, third round or better. That being said I think the assets that GMGM should consider moving this season are Semin once he returns and has some god-mode games, Schultz (I think he's done developing this is the best you will see of him and he's really just a 5/6 D-Man but perhaps someone will pay higher) and Perreault (We get a good #2 Centerman and move MOJO to the 3rd line for a while, there'll be no need for PRO).

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:57 PM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Koolaid! Next year baby. Wait, didnt he get traded for like 8 guys?

Joking aside, even if he looks good in camp next fall, I think its destined he ends up in Hershey. Assuming he is eligible to be in the AHL next year. If so, I think he will get a few NHL games next year, assuming he is eligible to do so. An injury fill in a year from now is a part of our team.

If he develops as hoped, I see him in the starting lineup at 4LW October 2012.
Yes he will be eligible for AHL/NHL next year. I think he will be in Hershey to start the year unless he has a monster camp.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:05 PM
txpd

Quote:
where did you hear that Eakin was a superior talent to Johansson. Its not true. Not close. One player is a 1st round draft pick with all the tools. The other is a 3rd round pick that was doesn't have all the tools.

No question that the Caps love both, but to say that Eakin is a superior talent is just wrong.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:35 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
where did you hear that Eakin was a superior talent to Johansson. Its not true. Not close. One player is a 1st round draft pick with all the tools. The other is a 3rd round pick that was doesn't have all the tools.

No question that the Caps love both, but to say that Eakin is a superior talent is just wrong.
To be fair, Eakin was sort of in the first round conversation due to an awesome top prospects game (might have had a better shot if not for his concussion history), and MoJo wasn't a slam dunk first rounder.

Wouldn't call him a superior talent at all, but his upside is probably better than just a random speedy grinder as well.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:52 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
To be fair, Eakin was sort of in the first round conversation due to an awesome top prospects game (might have had a better shot if not for his concussion history), and MoJo wasn't a slam dunk first rounder.

Wouldn't call him a superior talent at all, but his upside is probably better than just a random speedy grinder as well.
i am not putting Eakin down in the slightest. I was just pushing back against the idea that Eakin was a superior talent to Johansson. He's not. As long as he remains healthy he appears by all accounts to be a steal for the Caps late in the 3rd round.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:45 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i am not putting Eakin down in the slightest. I was just pushing back against the idea that Eakin was a superior talent to Johansson. He's not. As long as he remains healthy he appears by all accounts to be a steal for the Caps late in the 3rd round.
I agree, just thought it important to add some extra perspective.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:00 AM
DuklaNation

Problem with Eakin is that Johansson and him are somewhat similar players unless you move Eakin to the wing. Defensively Eakin could probably play in the NHL right now. Probably will need some more experience though. Not sure if his offense will translate but he's more than just a grinder. He has been playing with a hand injury most of the season from what I understand.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:04 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Having two dynamite centers is never a problem. Having two top-drawer wings and no centers, that can be a problem. The move from center to wing is a hell of a lot easier to finesse than wing to center.

My take is that after this past camp, McPhee is planning for Eakin to spend the year in Hershey, but the brass are willing to be impressed. He has to be on their short list to surprise in camp and make the squad as a youngin' in the Fall, but if not, time in the AHL will do him no harm. It's physical, and it's hockey against fully mature players. He isn't quite so talented that he couldn't benefit from playing in a men's development league.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:42 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Ahl next season as I don't expect him to force gmgm to make a move and hurt depth in order of exempt eakin to start in dc. But he'll get a callup or two or three.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote