HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Clemmensen in net tomorrow again, against NJ

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2011, 12:58 PM
  #1
Erick*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 13,236
vCash: 500
Clemmensen in net tomorrow again, against NJ

http://twitter.com/OnFrozenPond

Sorry, but this isn't the way to treat your "#1 goaltender."
Something's up; Vokoun isn't staying here. Even if he's not traded, he really has no reason to re-sign.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:24 PM
  #2
gizmo12688
#CatsAreComing
 
gizmo12688's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 6,880
vCash: 500
Either that, or DeBoer wants to play with the so called "hot hand" and go with Clem against a weak NJ team right now. Tough to say.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:27 PM
  #3
Two4Fighting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Why not?. he is a great goalie but need to work on his softies, Clemensen is a back-up goalie and he eventually will screw up in one of those games and Vokoun will be in charge again.
No big deal....
The team has played a lot better this year in front of him, Shots allowed are way down, so if you look at it that way, he should be doing even a better job.

Two4Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:28 PM
  #4
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
http://twitter.com/OnFrozenPond

Sorry, but this isn't the way to treat your "#1 goaltender."
Something's up; Vokoun isn't staying here. Even if he's not traded, he really has no reason to re-sign.

Something may be up but I don't think that's relevant. Clemmenson has been playing better than Vokoun over the past couple of weeks. Pets's going with the hot hand.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:35 PM
  #5
Erick*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 13,236
vCash: 500
I don't buy it.

When's the last time a backup goalie got two consecutive starts, after your "clear-cut #1 goaltender" is coming off a win, himself, the last game?

Hasn't Clemmensen now played like 4 of the last 7 games, including this one?

By the way, for those saying that this is happening because of Vokoun's soft goals, keep in mind that Clemmensen allowed a couple of questionable ones last night, despite getting the win.

This doesn't happen often.

You don't see the Rangers benching Lundquivst like this because Martin Biron is playing well.

Bottom line, your #1 comes off a win, is due to face his former team the next game (no B2B), does not start (which was a surprising move, to begin with), and now does not start the next game, either? How often does that happen for a "#1," as even DeBoer has called him "his guy?"

This has just as much to do with Vokoun (if not more) than it has to do with Clemmensen's solid play, recently.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 01:45 PM
  #6
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I don't buy it.

When's the last time a backup goalie got two consecutive starts, after your "clear-cut #1 goaltender" is coming off a win, himself, the last game?

Hasn't Clemmensen now played like 4 of the last 7 games, including this one?

By the way, for those saying that this is happening because of Vokoun's soft goals, keep in mind that Clemmensen allowed a couple of questionable ones last night, despite getting the win.

This doesn't happen often.

You don't see the Rangers benching Lundquivst like this because Martin Biron is playing well.

Bottom line, your #1 comes off a win, is due to face his former team the next game (no B2B), does not start (which was a surprising move, to begin with), and now does not start the next game, either? How often does that happen for a "#1," as even DeBoer has called him "his guy?"

This has just as much to do with Vokoun (if not more) than it has to do with Clemmensen's solid play, recently.
Probably when Anderson was here?

Clemmensen has been playing really well against good teams. Vokoun has been off lately. Clemmensen's GAA over the past few weeks is much better than Vokouns.

It's only two games. I think you're reading too much into it. Maybe Vokoun has been off in practice too?

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:01 PM
  #7
Erick*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 13,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Probably when Anderson was here?

Clemmensen has been playing really well against good teams. Vokoun has been off lately. Clemmensen's GAA over the past few weeks is much better than Vokouns.

It's only two games. I think you're reading too much into it. Maybe Vokoun has been off in practice too?
Harvey Fialkov brings up both points today in his blog...

"DeBoer has gone with the hot hand before so this isn't totally out of character..."

"It's possible that this demotion could anger Vokoun enough to accept any trade out of here which could be what the Panthers want."

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...tinel+Blogs%29

Regarding the "hot hand" thing, I don't even recall DeBoer doing this that year with Anderson. In this particular case, Vokoun's been benched after a win now for two consecutive games, neither of which presented a back-to-back situation. I find that more surprising than anything DeBoer did with Anderson, who, for what it's worth, was having a better year that year than Clemmensen is having this year (not a knock on the way Clem has played, just saying).

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:23 PM
  #8
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Harvey Fialkov brings up both points today in his blog...

"DeBoer has gone with the hot hand before so this isn't totally out of character..."

"It's possible that this demotion could anger Vokoun enough to accept any trade out of here which could be what the Panthers want."

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...tinel+Blogs%29

Regarding the "hot hand" thing, I don't even recall DeBoer doing this that year with Anderson. In this particular case, Vokoun's been benched after a win now for two consecutive games, neither of which presented a back-to-back situation. I find that more surprising than anything DeBoer did with Anderson, who, for what it's worth, was having a better year that year than Clemmensen is having this year (not a knock on the way Clem has played, just saying).
I'm pretty sure Pete went with Anderson when he was playing really well.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:29 PM
  #9
Erick*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 13,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I'm pretty sure Pete went with Anderson when he was playing really well.
After a Vokoun win? Twice in a row, on non back-to-backs? I don't recall that.

Anderson played because he was actually a hot-hand that year. He had his amazing stat games, like the 55 save shutout in Long Island.

Vokoun struggled early on that year, and Anderson got a bulk of his playing time because of what he did on a West Coast trip to kinda turn the season around.

Anderson went 15-7-5 that year; Vokoun went 26-23-6. That was a big reason why Anderson played a lot early on, and basically the definition of DeBoer's "hot hand" thing.

This Vokoun benching is more awkward than anything that happened that year. Again, he's (Vokoun) coming off a win, and Clemmensen doesn't even have a winning record this year (although, I believe he's 3-1-1 in his last 5 starts).

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:33 PM
  #10
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)
 
Panthers Rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Winter Springs, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 5,631
vCash: 500
Panthers need to win by any means necessary, if it means going with the hot hand goalie, you do it. Yeah Vokoun beat Washington, no thanks in part to the soft 3rd goal he allowed. I love Vokoun but the guy has been bad for several games now, he needs to rest and come back more focused. I absolutely hated Clemmensen last year but he's gotten better, let him play, besides it's his old team.

And for those saying Nashville was Vokoun's old team, he's also never beaten them either.

Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:39 PM
  #11
Erick*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 13,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
Yeah Vokoun beat Washington, no thanks in part to the soft 3rd goal he allowed.
You could say the same thing about Clemmensen's win last night against Nashville. Normally, when you have two games like that, a coach tends to go back to the starter, by default.

I'm just saying. It's not that I disagree with the decision; it's that I find it a bit unorthodox for a coach to do this after the starter got a win in his last start, and the backup wasn't really all that impressive, despite getting his win, as well.

It makes me think that something's up.

Even Clemmensen admitted last night that the 2nd goal he allowed was weak, and one he should've stopped. You could make a case that the 1st goal was his fault, as well, for not covering the puck up.

So it's rare for DeBoer to go back to Clemmer (his backup) for a 2nd consecutive game, especially when his "go-to guy" (as DeBoer, himself, would say about Vokoun) got a win in his last game...regardless of how he got it.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:42 PM
  #12
Mogo
#GameOver
 
Mogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 12,049
vCash: 814

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:43 PM
  #13
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11,086
vCash: 500
Erik, I think Vokoun is getting traded regardless. If you're suggesting that they're sitting him because they have a trade lined up and are just waiting for a certain date to come(?)/something else to happen, I wouldn't be surprised but I think you're reading a little too much into it.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:46 PM
  #14
Erick*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 13,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Erik, I think Vokoun is getting traded regardless. If you're suggesting that they're sitting him because they have a trade lined up and are just waiting for a certain date to come(?)/something else to happen, I wouldn't be surprised but I think you're reading a little too much into it.
I'm actually saying that it's possible that they're doing this to piss him off. That way, if they decide to trade him, he'll just accept any trade. Sort of what Fialkov said in his blog, basically.

It helps that Clemmensen has played pretty well lately, which enables them to do this, as well.

But I do believe that this has something to do with the inevitable trade.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 02:48 PM
  #15
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I'm actually saying that it's possible that they're doing this to piss him off. That way, if they decide to trade him, he'll just accept any trade. Sort of what Fialkov said in his blog, basically.

It helps that Clemmensen has played pretty well lately, which enables them to do this, as well.

But I do believe that this has something to do with the inevitable trade.
I don't think you want to piss him off in hopes of him okaying a trade because he's angry. I think it would have the opposite effect.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:05 PM
  #16
Pantherfan12
Registered User
 
Pantherfan12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sunrise,Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,796
vCash: 500
I too think that something is up. It's not Deboer going with the hot hand because both Clemmer and Vokoun are coming off of wins. They both let in some soft goals, so I do not understand the reasoning with going with your backup.
Not that I'm playing the Devil's advocate or anything but I do think that some of those goals Vokoun gave up was due to poor performance by the team. Now, I know they are professionals but I can understand if Vokoun would get frustrated with their play,especially giving up leads in 8 of the past 10 games. Again, I am not saying that Vokoun didn't give up soft goals but maybe the fact that after going up 3-0 after only 5 mins into the 1st,to then completely shut down and leave Vokoun out to dry would frustrate Vokoun and get him off him game.

In any event, IF we do trade Vokey, I hope we get something useful in return not just some 2nd round draft picks or something because it'll be a big loss in net,so I hope it's worth it.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:15 PM
  #17
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,184
vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
Panthers need to win by any means necessary, if it means going with the hot hand goalie, you do it. Yeah Vokoun beat Washington, no thanks in part to the soft 3rd goal he allowed. I love Vokoun but the guy has been bad for several games now, he needs to rest and come back more focused. I absolutely hated Clemmensen last year but he's gotten better, let him play, besides it's his old team.

And for those saying Nashville was Vokoun's old team, he's also never beaten them either.
i agree. and this isn't something completely out of the blue. as for the press, they're going to suggest all sorts of things because... that's what they get paid to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I don't think you want to piss him off in hopes of him okaying a trade because he's angry. I think it would have the opposite effect.
yeah, not a very smart thing. i'd say that explanation is highly unlikely and that's being generous.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:22 PM
  #18
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11,086
vCash: 500
Clemmer has a lower GAA despite Vokoun having 5 shutouts.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:25 PM
  #19
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker
 
Desert Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Frisco, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 2,253
vCash: 500
I think this is simply a function both of Clemmer playing well of late and of giving TVo the additional rest against NJ with more pivotal games against the division coming up. This stretch surrounding this home stand is 9 games in 16 days. If this is giving TVo the rest against a weaker team like NJ so he'll potentially be sharper against ATL and TB, I can't fault the logic.

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:40 PM
  #20
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor
 
StrangeVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 15,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Clemmer has a lower GAA despite Vokoun having 5 shutouts.
And 20 less games.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:43 PM
  #21
Acadmus
Registered User
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,842
vCash: 500
It could easily be that Vokoun's being shopped and they don't want to risk injuring him. I doubt it's to get him angry enough to "accept any trade", since Tomas has stated several times in the past that anytime the Panthers don't want him, he's willing to waive his NTC.

It could be the "hot hand" theory, but it's not like Clemmer's making waves with his play. He's definitely better than last season, but still playing more or less like a backup. It could also be Vokoun has some nagging minor injury the Panthers haven't made public that they figure will go away if he gets more off time.

Frankly, I don't see any real point in baseless speculation.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:30 PM
  #22
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
Clemmer has played like an average back up at best. Both goals last night were questionable, one he admits was his bad. Not the performance you typically put the back up in again after.
This is baffling.


Last edited by adam graves: 01-14-2011 at 04:52 PM.
adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:57 PM
  #23
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Harvey Fialkov brings up both points today in his blog...

"DeBoer has gone with the hot hand before so this isn't totally out of character..."

"It's possible that this demotion could anger Vokoun enough to accept any trade out of here which could be what the Panthers want."

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...tinel+Blogs%29

Regarding the "hot hand" thing, I don't even recall DeBoer doing this that year with Anderson. In this particular case, Vokoun's been benched after a win now for two consecutive games, neither of which presented a back-to-back situation. I find that more surprising than anything DeBoer did with Anderson, who, for what it's worth, was having a better year that year than Clemmensen is having this year (not a knock on the way Clem has played, just saying).
The press loves a goaltending controversy. Now, i'm not saying whether or not Vokoun is staying, cause i sure as hell don't know, and i don't think anyone does.

But i'm inclined to think PDB is going with the hot hand. Vokoun has looked shaky at best, even when he pulled out a win. And Voky is extremely competitive so when he does get another start, you better believe he's gonna take back that starter role with authority. This has happened before, and i expect it to play out pretty similarly this time as well.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:09 PM
  #24
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
The press loves a goaltending controversy. Now, i'm not saying whether or not Vokoun is staying, cause i sure as hell don't know, and i don't think anyone does.

But i'm inclined to think PDB is going with the hot hand. Vokoun has looked shaky at best, even when he pulled out a win. And Voky is extremely competitive so when he does get another start, you better believe he's gonna take back that starter role with authority. This has happened before, and i expect it to play out pretty similarly this time as well.
Hj I would agree with you except how can anyone that watched last nights performance call it "a hot hand"?

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:52 PM
  #25
harv3317
Registered User
 
harv3317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,413
vCash: 500
i'd absolutely love it if vokuon was traded. as you know i'm not a great fan this year with all the soft goals. hopefully if he gets traded which imo is unlikely we get a decent return!!!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.