HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Clemmensen in net tomorrow again, against NJ

Old
01-14-2011, 07:19 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Hj I would agree with you except how can anyone that watched last nights performance call it "a hot hand"?
^^^^^^this

Both goals last night were terrible. The first one Clemmensen had the puck under his glove and put it back in play, turned it over and didn't get back into position to let them get an easy one. The second goal was as soft as any softy Voukoun has let in this year.

PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Erick

Quote:
Clemmer has played like an average back up at best. Both goals last night were questionable, one he admits was his bad. Not the performance you typically put the back up in again after.
This is baffling.
He's been one of the best backups in the NHL this year.
Not looking at stats, I'd be surprised if Clemmensen hasn't been a top 5 backup this year.

He wasn't really that impressive last night, but you can't really ask for much more from a backup goalie than what he's given. He's kept the team in games, and has actually stolen some points. He's not exactly facing scrub teams, either.

He's playing well.

I hated his contract at the beginning last year because he was pretty awful at the beginning, but I'm starting to really like it now.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:31 PM
sinDer

Quote:
Clemmer has played like an average back up at best. Both goals last night were questionable, one he admits was his bad. Not the performance you typically put the back up in again after.
This is baffling.
Exactly

I'm not comfortable with him in the net. Things could get ugly, even if we play the worst team in the league.

Vokoun has been very average lately, but Clemmensen hasn't been anything special. So I don't understand this move

Last edited by sinDer: 01-14-2011 at 09:37 PM.
sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Erick

On this board, we overrate our forwards/d men, and underrate our goalies. I guess that's what happens when goaltending is the only team strength of the last decade.

Seems like we're a bit spoiled when it comes to the position. They might let in some weak goals from time to time, but so do other goalies. Vokoun-Clemmensen is a well above average goalie duo.

Vokoun doesn't suck, as some people would like to believe (harv...), and Clemmensen has been a lot better than average this year, especially when you compare him to other backups around the league. There are a lot of backups who just flat out suck, and don't belong in the NHL.

Old
01-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Shockley
Go Cats Go!

vCash: 498
I do love the Clemmer!

Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Panthers607
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't get it.

It's not like Vokoun has been horrible and Clemmensen super hot?
Both have been good. Vokoun should start.

Sure, give Clemmer a start for once, but two consecutive?

Panthers607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Hj I would agree with you except how can anyone that watched last nights performance call it "a hot hand"?
That's completely fair, and i agree. It could also be said that the team plays harder in front of Clemmensen, which after the way we won last night, could be true.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 11:38 PM
pantherbot

It makes the most sense to be trading him, therefore that is the least likely answer because this team doesn't do what makes sense. Use some logic people come on... they're obviously playing the "hot-hand" so we can climb a few extra spots out of the draft lottery...mystery solved.

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:00 AM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I honestly don't think benching Vokoun has a whole lot to do with trading him. Originally I did think PDB was a bit nuts for starting Clemmer last night because Vokoun did get a win against the Caps after some letting in some questionable goals, but when he has never beat the Preds before, I can see the coaching logic and risk that he took when every game is a must win at this point. I also think the media is making a bigger deal about Vokoun being upset at the decision than he literally is. He's always been a classy guy whom has never blamed the rest of the team for their faults at losing a game and will admit when he has an off night. I'm not sure what's going to happen as far as him being traded, but I don't think this is sending a message to anger him and want him to change his mind about staying in Florida at all.

I agree with starting Clemmer tomorrow though because it's his old team and maybe it's best for Vokoun to save his mindset for a more important game against Atlanta on Monday. Clemmer played good against the Preds, but I wouldn't say it was spectacular. These games lately are probably the most difficult decisions PDB has had to make all season thus far when every game is so crucial to save the season.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
I honestly don't think benching Vokoun has a whole lot to do with trading him. Originally I did think PDB was a bit nuts for starting Clemmer last night because Vokoun did get a win against the Caps after some letting in some questionable goals, but when he has never beat the Preds before, I can see the coaching logic and risk that he took when every game is a must win at this point. I also think the media is making a bigger deal about Vokoun being upset at the decision than he literally is. He's always been a classy guy whom has never blamed the rest of the team for their faults at losing a game and will admit when he has an off night. I'm not sure what's going to happen as far as him being traded, but I don't think this is sending a message to anger him and want him to change his mind about staying in Florida at all.

I agree with starting Clemmer tomorrow though because it's his old team and maybe it's best for Vokoun to save his mindset for a more important game against Atlanta on Monday. Clemmer played good against the Preds, but I wouldn't say it was spectacular. These games lately are probably the most difficult decisions PDB has had to make all season thus far when every game is so crucial to save the season.
If the reason for not starting Vokoun against the Preds = not having a win against them, then I guess Clemmensen's playing against Atlanta too because Vokoun's been absolutely attrocious against them this year.

Old
01-15-2011, 12:18 AM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
If the reason for not starting Vokoun against the Preds = not having a win against them, then I guess Clemmensen's playing against Atlanta too because Vokoun's been absolutely attrocious against them this year.
They're another team I really hate us playing against because the games come close almost every time and it seems we're usually on the losing side (or if like the last game, got screwed). That probably wasn't PDB's main decision on why not to start Vokoun, but then again I question what he's thinking half of the time anyway.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:20 AM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

For all those saying that they understand the logic in not starting Vokoun against Nashville because he has never won a game against them, do you bother researching what you say?

Just curious.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:27 AM
gizmo12688
OTL To The Playoffs

Here's a thought.

With all the talk lately about signing Vokoun to an extension, is it possible that they want to have him sign a 2-3 year deal in order to make him more attractive in a trade? So instead of getting possibly a rental, you're getting a goalie that is signed for a couple more seasons.

Keep in mind that I'm drunk.

gizmo12688 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 04:17 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 814
Were forgetting here that Vokoun has a NTC! He can't just be moved

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Erick

Vokoun: "The pressure is not on me. Let someone else carry it. You may find it's not as easy as it looks.''
http://twitter.com/OnFrozenPond

More comments on the link.

Old
01-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Shockley
Go Cats Go!

vCash: 498
Heres my thoughts.

I feel Tallon already has a deal he likes on the table with vokie in it. Now hes seeing if the Clemmer can handle all these starts to maybe give him the starting job if vokie gets traded, then MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE We call up Markstrom to give him the backup role?

Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Erick

A summary of today's comments from both Vokoun and DeBoer.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...vs-devils.html

Old
01-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Has anybody mentioned that Clemmenson starting against his former team and having some familiarity might actually have been a good idea?

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlaPanthers View Post
Heres my thoughts.

I feel Tallon already has a deal he likes on the table with vokie in it. Now hes seeing if the Clemmer can handle all these starts to maybe give him the starting job if vokie gets traded, then MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE We call up Markstrom to give him the backup role?
Vokoun has a no trade clause, so he has to give the final word on where (and whether) he goes. I don't think we'll see Markstrom this season, he's better, imo, getting more time in the AHL and getting used to the North American game. I'm not convinced we'll see him next season, either.

If we don't re-sing Vokoun, I'd imagine he'd take a look at Niemi, Theodore, etc. for next season, unless Markstrom has a lights out camp.

01-16-2011, 12:24 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Has anybody mentioned that Clemmenson starting against his former team and having some familiarity might actually have been a good idea?
Yes, but since the shooters also have familiarity with him that could go either way.

Since they won last night, PDB is justified in his decision.

Perhaps it's just me, but it seemed the team was particularly exuberant in celebrating Clemmer's win last night and Vokoun looked less than enthused. I found it... interesting.

angry_treefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 12:27 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Vokoun has a no trade clause, so he has to give the final word on where (and whether) he goes. I don't think we'll see Markstrom this season, he's better, imo, getting more time in the AHL and getting used to the North American game. I'm not convinced we'll see him next season, either.

If we don't re-sing Vokoun, I'd imagine he'd take a look at Niemi, Theodore, etc. for next season, unless Markstrom has a lights out camp.
Until I hear about him dominating the AHL, I don't want to see Markstrom in a Panthers sweater. After the last failed rebuild, I don't want to see any more prospects ruined by being thrown into the fray too early.

Last edited by angry_treefrog: 01-16-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: spelling. "ruinen" is not a word, although it would be a good name for a Finnish defenseman
angry_treefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 12:32 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Yes, but since the shooters also have familiarity with him that could go either way.

Since they won last night, PDB is justified in his decision.

Perhaps it's just me, but it seemed the team was particularly exuberant in celebrating Clemmer's win last night and Vokoun looked less than enthused. I found it... interesting.
Noticed that too about Vokoun.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 12:40 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Until I hear about him dominating the AHL, I don't want to see Markstrom in a Panthers sweater. After the last failed rebuild, I don't want to see any more prospects ruinen by being thrown into the fray too early.
Very true.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Until I hear about him dominating the AHL, I don't want to see Markstrom in a Panthers sweater. After the last failed rebuild, I don't want to see any more prospects ruinen by being thrown into the fray too early.
Yeah, I pretty much agree, within reason, obviously. Tallon knows how to take of his prospects, so I'll trust him.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Erick

Clemmensen in net again tomorrow against ATL.
http://twitter.com/OnFrozenPond