Possible Trade Ideas II

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2011, 04:11 PM
mnwildgophers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Basically, we needed Lats in the lineup. Somebody with size who can drive to the net and bury the puck. Without him, we're kind of slow, small, easy to keep to the outside.
Latendresse is something we need horribly. He just had a knack for finding a way to put the puck past the goalie, not everyone has that, and Latendresse has that. We miss him a lot.

I wouldn't mind seeing a top 6 of the following next year:
Granlund - Koivu - Latendresse
Bouchard - ???? - Havlat

That could be a legit top 6 if we can find a suitable center that plays like Brodziak does, but has better hands than Brodz. That would be ideal. I think we have plenty of guys that can fill in the bottom 6 and contribute down there in terms of goals.

I'm thinking that we should trade away all of Kobasew, Mietts, and Brunette. They are decent enough players, but let's get rid of them, grab some 2nd-3rd rounders and head into the draft to either package them and move up, or use them for a trading chips to grab that elusive center or maybe a goal-scorer that could be on the move.

Old
01-15-2011, 04:27 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I'll be interested to see what picks we get back for our UFAs. My brain is thinking that if the picks we get in return are for the 2012 draft and not the 2011 an offer sheet may be in Fletcher's brain...

Old
01-15-2011, 04:31 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I'll be interested to see what picks we get back for our UFAs. My brain is thinking that if the picks we get in return are for the 2012 draft and not the 2011 an offer sheet may be in Fletcher's brain...
What RFA's are up for arbitration then? And I suppose it's a couple of years in the future so some players may show themselves to be worth more in the coming years.

Old
01-15-2011, 06:51 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
What RFA's are up for arbitration then?
*Obligatory Zach Parise name drop

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
01-15-2011, 06:56 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I wasn't thinking Parise...

I was thinking more along the lines of Hodgson or a Dubinsky. Parise would cost far, far too much to offer sheet. I'm thinking more along the lines of prying a young center out of an organization that is pretty well stacked with centers. Hodgson, for example, isn't very happy with Vancouver and his talent level is far above that of a third line center. Let's face it, Sedin and Kesler aren't going anywhere, so Hodgson is either going to be trade bait this summer or someone will offer sheet him...

Edit; Also, if Couture is arbitration eligible, I'd bet that someone pulls a San Jose on San Jose...

Old
01-15-2011, 07:47 PM
grN1g

bouchard-couture-havlat

Old
01-15-2011, 08:12 PM
tyratoku

I'm sure this has already been discussed, but would any of our young D prospects interest the Oilers enough to give away Penner? Cuma, Spurgeon, Falk, combinations? Barker being thrown in would be great, but I somehow doubt it. I'm just trying to think of somebody who has a good chance of being moved, and Penner is supposedly the odd man out with all those young guys in Edmonton. Penner + Koivu + whoever could be a pretty food line.

Any ideas?

Old
01-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
I'm sure this has already been discussed, but would any of our young D prospects interest the Oilers enough to give away Penner? Cuma, Spurgeon, Falk, combinations? Barker being thrown in would be great, but I somehow doubt it. I'm just trying to think of somebody who has a good chance of being moved, and Penner is supposedly the odd man out with all those young guys in Edmonton. Penner + Koivu + whoever could be a pretty food line.

Any ideas?
I'm sure it would have to start with Scandella. I don't think I would be prepared to give him up for 1.5 years of Penner.

Old
01-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I'm sure it would have to start with Scandella. I don't think I would be prepared to give him up for 1.5 years of Penner.
I'd seriously consider anyone other than Scandy at this point, in a heartbeat. Maybe that's just me, though.

Old
01-16-2011, 01:35 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

barker plus spurgeon?

lol

Old
01-16-2011, 01:47 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
i'd give up scandy for 1.5 years of penner. hell yes i would.

Old
01-16-2011, 01:58 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i'd give up scandy for 1.5 years of penner. hell yes i would.
I wouldn't. Scandy is going to be a good player. Cuma on the other hand, maybe. But Penner. Naaah...

Old
01-16-2011, 02:28 AM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Personally, I'd deal Barker straight-up for Weaver, but I don't see Chuck Fletcher doing that. Mike Weaver is not Kim Johnsson, and he's not worth a 1st round pick. The comparison will always be there for Fletcher of what he gets for Barker after what he gave up for him.
I would take anything for Barker at this point. Cut your loses now. If he wasn't a big trade acquisition, he'd be gone by now. He's a prime case of why the method of acquiring a player determines the path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneWildSota View Post
I don't seem to understand why people think Fletcher's job is in jeopardy, at all. If you look where the team was and where the team is, I think, everyone would agree that the team as a whole has gotten better. At least as far as skill goes. You're not going to turn a team thin at depth into a Cup winner in a season or two. His job is as safe as anybody else's. He's not getting fired/let go any time soon. Don't hold your breathe. (Not directed at you saywut, just more of a general statement)
I don't seem to understand why people think his job isn't in jeopardy. He's taken hold of a mediocre team and has only declined the short-term or long-term prospects of it in nearly two years of work. If it wouldn't be the good play from the players he inherited, he'd really be up a creek. Let's call a spade a spade. Chuck Fletcher has no eye for talent. The only expectation from him should be more failure at all aspects of managing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Our options for an offer sheet this offseason are limited. . . unless Fletcher manages to re-acquire his 2nd from Boston.

Old
01-16-2011, 06:25 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
I wouldn't. Scandy is going to be a good player. Cuma on the other hand, maybe. But Penner. Naaah...
While I agree with ya easily, we are getting maybe too thick on blue line at this point with players who may be able to get points but can't play defensively. Look at who we have in Houston that have either played this year or most likely will play next year. If we are moving people it'll be blueline for sure.

Old
01-16-2011, 06:57 AM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

barker for Zuccarello?

Old
01-16-2011, 08:23 AM
brandbll

All you need to do in a possible trade situation is think, WWDRD? Then, do the opposite.

Old
01-16-2011, 08:32 AM
brandbll

Quote:
Without him, we're kind of slow, small, easy to keep to the outside.
And might i add, boring to watch, especially if you aren't winning.

Old
01-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post
barker for Zuccarello?
I don't see why NY does that. They just gave up a big money D-man for forward help, and they're apparently pretty deep at D.

Not to mention, even though I like MZ-A, he's small.

Old
01-16-2011, 10:05 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
oh i get it--Scandella is the next Great Hope. Next to Granlund i mean.

edit: i too think he'll be a NHLr, but certainly not a top pairing guy. I would definitely trade him for a guy who is pretty much guaranteed to be on our top line.

Old
01-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

1. How in the hell has Chuck Fletcher "declined the short and long term prospects" of the Wild?

2. How in the hell are you certain that Scandella isn't going to be a top pairing guy?

Old
01-16-2011, 11:36 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
1. How in the hell has Chuck Fletcher "declined the short and long term prospects" of the Wild?

2. How in the hell are you certain that Scandella isn't going to be a top pairing guy?
the same way everyone is "certain" granlund is going to be a great player. it's common enough to state these things as certainties without having to challenge everyone every time they lay out something that absolutely cannot be proven.

watch him play. there is nothing about it that stands out (at an NHL level). There are enough young defenseman who are either A) showing more now as kids , or B) showed more at that age and are now first pairing D. Shot, skating, passing, etc. He has the poise of an NHLr and once he's used to being played more in more situations he'll certainly progress as far as joining in (or starting) plays but I don't see him as a #2 guy. I guess he could be a complimentary first pairing guy--i'll go that far.

#1 isn't addressed to me, right? I like the job Chuck is doing--he's very balanced in what he is attempting to do (what every GM should be doing) in improving the team short term and improving the prospect pool.

Old
01-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
watch him play. there is nothing about it that stands out (at an NHL level). There are enough young defenseman who are either A) showing more now as kids , or B) showed more at that age and are now first pairing D. Shot, skating, passing, etc. He has the poise of an NHLr and once he's used to being played more in more situations he'll certainly progress as far as joining in (or starting) plays but I don't see him as a #2 guy. I guess he could be a complimentary first pairing guy--i'll go that far.

#1 isn't addressed to me, right? I like the job Chuck is doing--he's very balanced in what he is attempting to do (what every GM should be doing) in improving the team short term and improving the prospect pool.
hmm..when i see scandella play I see a number 2 or 3 guy on the blue line in the future. watch him with the puck. He has great stick handling and can get himself out of forecheckers reach with it. He looks smart (good Hockey IQ), and will be able to provide that first pass that the wild need. He still makes a lot of rookie mistakes with his decision making and gets overmatched but he is a rookie and defensemen take longer to develop. So far so good with him (except for that ****ing concussion).

and no #1 wasn't addressed to you, it was addressed to SoH, who was obviously trolling.

Last edited by Casper: 01-16-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old
01-16-2011, 12:56 PM
El Nino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
hmm..when i see scandella play I see a number 2 or 3 guy on the blue line in the future. watch him with the puck. He has great stick handling and can get himself out of forecheckers reach with it. He looks smart (good Hockey IQ), and will be able to provide that first pass that the wild need. He still makes a lot of rookie mistakes with his decision making and gets overmatched but he is a rookie and defensemen take longer to develop. So far so good with him (except for that ****ing concussion).

and no #1 wasn't addressed to you, it was addressed to SoH, who was obviously trolling.
I would say Scandella is a lot like Nick Schultz. A little more offense and not as good defensively but his build and play remind me a lot of Schultz. I see Scandella as top four guy but most likely as #3 or #4. I think he plays with poise. He can skate, pass, and stick handle but what i think Rynryn is saying is nothing jumps out at you watching him play. And lately he has been making some bad mistakes in his own zone. Im not ruling him out at all as a top pairing D because obviously he is young and has a ton of room to grow, but this is what i see so far.

Also i think our best option for trading a D is Zanon. He is a veteran. He plays smart, you know exactly what you are going to get from him, and most importantly his contract isn't bad. I think Zanon to Wash, NYR, maybe SJ, and there are probably other teams as well who would be interested.

For me personally i want to give Barker the rest of this season to turn it around or continue to fail. I know im in the minority here but here is what i think. He is a young guy, he has been successful at the NHL level before, and if he doesn't work out after this season he will be easier to trade because he will only have 1 year left and if a team takes a chance and it doesn't work out they are off the hook at the end of the year. I think right now he is too untradeable and after what we gave up for him, i can't watch him go for nothing.

Old
01-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetCluttered View Post
I would say Scandella is a lot like Nick Schultz. A little more offense and not as good defensively but his build and play remind me a lot of Schultz. I see Scandella as top four guy but most likely as #3 or #4. I think he plays with poise. He can skate, pass, and stick handle but what i think Rynryn is saying is nothing jumps out at you watching him play. And lately he has been making some bad mistakes in his own zone. Im not ruling him out at all as a top pairing D because obviously he is young and has a ton of room to grow, but this is what i see so far.

Also i think our best option for trading a D is Zanon. He is a veteran. He plays smart, you know exactly what you are going to get from him, and most importantly his contract isn't bad. I think Zanon to Wash, NYR, maybe SJ, and there are probably other teams as well who would be interested.

For me personally i want to give Barker the rest of this season to turn it around or continue to fail. I know im in the minority here but here is what i think. He is a young guy, he has been successful at the NHL level before, and if he doesn't work out after this season he will be easier to trade because he will only have 1 year left and if a team takes a chance and it doesn't work out they are off the hook at the end of the year. I think right now he is too untradeable and after what we gave up for him, i can't watch him go for nothing.
Yea, the number 2 dman is his top potential i guess where it is more likely that he'll settle into a solid number 2 pairing dman. I kinda of see him as a Kim Johnson where he has the puck skills to get out of trouble and push the puck up ice. (that was the one thing that first impressed me about him, although the mistakes have definitely been there). Probably not as good defensively as Kim but hopefully will have a little more offensive flair and should be much more physical.

Agree about being patient with barker, although if the opportunity presents itself he should be traded and we should take our losses and be done with this whole thing.

What do you think we could for zanon, do you think he would fetch as high as a second rounder?

Old
01-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
I would take anything for Barker at this point. Cut your loses now. If he wasn't a big trade acquisition, he'd be gone by now. He's a prime case of why the method of acquiring a player determines the path.

I don't seem to understand why people think his job isn't in jeopardy. He's taken hold of a mediocre team and has only declined the short-term or long-term prospects of it in nearly two years of work. If it wouldn't be the good play from the players he inherited, he'd really be up a creek. Let's call a spade a spade. Chuck Fletcher has no eye for talent. The only expectation from him should be more failure at all aspects of managing.

Our options for an offer sheet this offseason are limited. . . unless Fletcher manages to re-acquire his 2nd from Boston.
Agree on Barker.

---------------------

Latendresse trade.

Zucker in the late 2nd round.

That's two.

Last edited by Dr Jan Itor: 01-16-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Closed Thread