HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Markov unsure of his destiny..

Old
01-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
I believe they got the closest without him in the lineup and frankly others (Gill, Spacek) missed games in the Pittsburgh series too. I wonder if that will weigh in on the decision. Is it more of a team effort without him in the lineup.
that is the absolute WORST way to think concerning that situation...

its more, imagine how much closer we would of gotten WITH him

come ON people...its markov for crissakes! he's AMAZING and people forget so fast because hes been gone for a long time now

YES, he will not be the same player anymore, neither was koivu after all those injuries, he had lost a step, so will markov, but to think that a lost-a-step-markov STILL isnt better than a spacek, or hamrlik or gill?? COME ON!

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:43 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
that is the absolute WORST way to think concerning that situation...

its more, imagine how much closer we would of gotten WITH him

come ON people...its markov for crissakes! he's AMAZING and people forget so fast because hes been gone for a long time now

YES, he will not be the same player anymore, neither was koivu after all those injuries, he had lost a step, so will markov, but to think that a lost-a-step-markov STILL isnt better than a spacek, or hamrlik or gill?? COME ON!
You mean like all those other years? Anyhow........my points are that he can't exactly use his playoff performances as leverage in negotiating another contract, his playoff performances haven't exactly been noteworthy except for the fact he's been injured. Thirdly.........the team has recently gotten better at playing without him in the lineup most notably the Pittsburgh series. Maybe I am wrong but I tend to think management will factor those things in when negotiating his contract.

Look - I'm all for re-signing Markov but what he signs for will dictate how the Habs can rebuild the rest of the D roster. I'd prefer the D roster not be built around Markov so if he asks for too much and/or too long a contract and ends up walking then so be it. For example right now I'd hate to see Wiz get away because the Habs went the extra for Markov. Then we can watch the team scramble again to get that big shot at the blueline.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:59 AM
WestIslander

In my opinion, Markov is going to sign with Washington in the off season for $6,000,000.00 a year or more.

AND YES! They will have the cap space because Semin is currently making $6,000,000.00 and will not be in Washington much longer.

I would love to trade him to a contender at the deadline but we cannot because of his no trade clause and the fact that he might not play until next season regardless of his rehab.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:15 AM
gusfring

I say we have to move on from Markov, as much as I hate to admit.

We have to face the facts that at this point he is a very fragile player.

Same with Hamrlik - his best days are behind him and we have to concentrate on developping our younger prospects ie. Subban, Nash etc.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Markovskaya

God damnit people Markov has habs tattooed on his chest.

He's not gonna take a contract for washington for 1M$ more I garantee it.

You guys lack so much respect for this guy it's unbelievable.

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
I say we have to move on from Markov, as much as I hate to admit.

We have to face the facts that at this point he is a very fragile player.

Same with Hamrlik - his best days are behind him and we have to concentrate on developping our younger prospects ie. Subban, Nash etc.
How does letting Markov and Hamrlik walk help develop Nash and PK? The best way to develop those guys is to have quality veterans in front of them so they don't get thrust in a role bigger than they can handle.

Markov I can see debate on both sides, and correct me if I'm wrong but with the games he has missed would it not be possible to negotiate a contract with incentives? Usually it's only for ELC's and over 35 but I think if a player missed more than X amount of games you can do it. IMHO that would be the best of both worlds. You get to keep Markov for about 2-3 mil(plus incentives) and still have money to add a solid top 4 guy(Phillips?) that way if he misses extended time you're not in a bad spot.

Hamrlik, I think his future depends on moving Spacek and Gill, we can't keep all 3, need to get younger.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:39 PM
WestIslander

If we could get the following from Washington for Markov at the trade deadline, I would be a happy Habs fan:

To Washington:

Andrei Markov

To Montreal:

Karl Alzner + John Carlson + 1st round draft pick in 2011

Top four defenseman of the future:

Subban - Alzner
Carlson - Tinordi

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
If we could get the following from Washington for Markov at the trade deadline, I would be a happy Habs fan:

To Washington:

Andrei Markov

To Montreal:

Karl Alzner + John Carlson + 1st round draft pick in 2011

Top four defenseman of the future:

Subban - Alzner
Carlson - Tinordi

Why didn't I think of that? Let's call the Caps and get their 2 best young d-men and 1st rounder for a rental who's out for the year...brilliant!!!

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
You ask Markov to take less because of his injury history but sign him for longer because of how loyal he is to the club.

I'm sure Markov can live fine with $3M per season for the next three-five seasons.
"Hello sir, I've heard you were looking for work since your serious injury. You were making 57 500$ a year, so we're ready to offer you 30 000$/y for 5 years. How does that sound? Should I prepare the contract?"

Get real, he'll accept a 1-2 years deal if it's close enough to have he wants, and what he wants is at the very least what he made prior to his injury.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 04:58 PM
macavoy

For all those talking about Markov not being the same after 2 knee surgeries. The Wiz has also had 2 knee surgeries and seems to get by ok.

Having 2 surgeries doesn't mean your automatically done.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote