HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils@Panthers "The Devils Rejects"

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2011, 03:10 AM
Mogo
#GameOver

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by vektorious View Post

I made a video from the footage I took from my iphone of the OT game winner. It is a different view and I synced it up with the announcers on the telecast! Gives a great idea of what it was like to be in the stands tonight! Gotta love an OT winner. I was thrilled!!!
Nice job

Vokoun didn't too happy at the end there

Old
01-16-2011, 03:15 AM
Mogo
#GameOver

Great win! NJ playing there trap again. Great keeping the feet moving in the offensive zone all night. You can notice certain players really having more and more confidence out there. That Wideman goal was a beauty too mainly the pass by Santorelli.

Is it just me or is Allen becoming a worse skater game by game? At times he looks like a white Worrell skating out there. He took a stupid penalty too and he makes some bonehead decisions with the puck costing in turnovers.

As for the goals against. 1rst one was lucky. 2nd one how did they get so many FREE swings at the puck no1 took the guy at the side of the net. This happens against us a lot. We need to take out the guys swinging at rebounds with will.

Old
01-16-2011, 03:40 AM
flapanthersfan

vCash: 500
Quote:

I made a video from the footage I took from my iphone of the OT game winner. It is a different view and I synced it up with the announcers on the telecast! Gives a great idea of what it was like to be in the stands tonight! Gotta love an OT winner. I was thrilled!!!
great vid! can you upload it w/o the commentary too?

Old
01-16-2011, 06:46 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
As for the goals against. 1rst one was lucky. 2nd one how did they get so many FREE swings at the puck no1 took the guy at the side of the net. This happens against us a lot. We need to take out the guys swinging at rebounds with will.
ThE extra swipes were kuli's bad but he sure made up for it!

Old
01-16-2011, 07:06 AM
Mogo
#GameOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Yeah noticed that once I watched the highlights he kinda missed a step there almost tangled up in his own skates

Old
01-16-2011, 07:08 AM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Not sure that was Kuli's bad. Clarkson was McCabe's man but when he went around the net Caber just decided to stand there motionless on the other side of the crease like a confused eagle. I think he was trying to use a jedi mind trick to convince Clarkson not to shoot the puck. At least Kuli was involved in the play, and took out his man in the corner.

Old
01-16-2011, 07:20 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers_Fan View Post
There was no where near 18000. I was at the game and this is the emptiest I've seen the BAC all season.

Great game though. Dadonov's and Kulikov's goals were sick.
Well, atleast the lower bowl was more crowded than most nights this season. And the official attendance is Attendance:17 825 (nhl.com). Take it for what it's worth.

Old
01-16-2011, 08:47 AM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

What an awesome goal by Kulikov to win it. Love the patience to get to the middle of ice to shoot behind the screen. Brodeur wasnt even close to that puck. I really wish I made the trip down again for that game. Huge 2 points, and its good that we are picking up points in chunks now. That is a must. The team definitely looks like its getting confidence and it must continue. Great win.

Old
01-16-2011, 09:38 AM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
I agree Matthias has played really well - but I don't think PDB is anti-Matthias as much as it's an issue of the guys ahead of him not deserving to lose any ice time.

Who do you take ice time away? Weiss has been on an absolute tear. Santorelli is on a 5 game point streak and has been our most consistent offensive presence. Reasoner is our best defensive forward, by far (IMO) and is the perfect 3rd line (checking) center because of it. His 8 goals ain't too shabby, either.

Matthias is a center....so who loses the ice time?

For once, it's nice to have the problem of having too many players deserving ice time. Before, it was too many guys that deserved to be benched.
yeah, i agree. those guys might cool down though. matthias will get his chance.

i also agree with a couple of other observations: that vokie didn't look happy and that allen's skating looks really poor sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Not sure that was Kuli's bad. Clarkson was McCabe's man but when he went around the net Caber just decided to stand there motionless on the other side of the crease like a confused eagle. I think he was trying to use a jedi mind trick to convince Clarkson not to shoot the puck. At least Kuli was involved in the play, and took out his man in the corner.
aw markie, you should know better D *never* chase a player with possession behind the net; that's suicide. you give yourself up for nothing. it's one thing if you're engaged with the guy but when there's clear possession, no. i don't think it was kuli's bad either. if you look at the highlights and pause it as the puck comes back to clarkson, you'll see reasoner and stillman both guarding the same guy in the slot. the center's responsibility is help down low - he's the 3rd Dman. with mccabe on his side of the net, kuli on a guy in his corner, the center needed to drop down and take away clarkson's path to the net.

Old
01-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
aw markie, you should know better D *never* chase a player with possession behind the net; that's suicide. you give yourself up for nothing. it's one thing if you're engaged with the guy but when there's clear possession, no. i don't think it was kuli's bad either. if you look at the highlights and pause it as the puck comes back to clarkson, you'll see reasoner and stillman both guarding the same guy in the slot. the center's responsibility is help down low - he's the 3rd Dman. with mccabe on his side of the net, kuli on a guy in his corner, the center needed to drop down and take away clarkson's path to the net.
If Caber then went to cover somebody else in front of the net, I'd agree. But he was covering air. In that situation there's no reason not to chase his man behind the net. That's disregarding the center on that play, which you are right about. That still leaves Caber doing absolutely nothing though.

Old
01-16-2011, 10:13 AM
CatscratchFever
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
What does Matthias have to do to get more ice time? That was an awesome shift he had in overtime. The majority of the time he was on the ice he seemed to use his size really well.

Really nice job by Stillman, as well, in OT. And Weiss with the pass that setup the goal.

That was great effort in OT.
Well, he basically has to MAKE PDB give him more ice time. If he keeps this up and starts to finish, he'll get more time. Be glad the Cats finally have guys trying to earn ice time, it is a good thing.

Old
01-16-2011, 10:14 AM
PanthersAllDay1225
MORDE-KULI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
Well, atleast the lower bowl was more crowded than most nights this season. And the official attendance is Attendance:17 825 (nhl.com). Take it for what it's worth.
yeah i was there and there seemed it be quite a few people down there haha. That OT winner by Kuli was pretty awesome to see live, everyone just erupted and stood up cheering

Old
01-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Matthias was great in OT. That whole OT was just great to watch. Really exciting.

Old
01-16-2011, 11:39 AM
RainingRats

I thought Olesz and Matthias looked very good last game. Mathias can skate really well. His acceleration is veyr impressive. I'd like to see him moved to the wing on one of the top lines for some shifts. If Matthias puts on some weight and starts fighting he could be a pretty dangerous player. I am afraid he's a bit like Olesz in that he seems to have all the tools but isn't a natural finisher.

Olesz has been playing well (still not worth the contract). He is one of the strongest players/skaters on our team. He should have been a shutdown d-man.

Dadanov is sick. We finally have a player who looks like a natural finnisher and has offensive creativity. Once he puts on a bit more size I could see a lot of offense from him. He's playing bigger than he is right now but getting stronger could elevate him to that next level.

Old
01-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Two4Fighting

Quote:

That a great video, full of emotions and truly captures what is to be at game.
Weiss was almost about to tongue Kulikov after the goal.

Old
01-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Benched

What a goal by Kuli. Great patience, great vision. Just awesome.

Old
01-16-2011, 12:04 PM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I thought Olesz and Matthias looked very good last game. Mathias can skate really well. His acceleration is veyr impressive. I'd like to see him moved to the wing on one of the top lines for some shifts. If Matthias puts on some weight and starts fighting he could be a pretty dangerous player. I am afraid he's a bit like Olesz in that he seems to have all the tools but isn't a natural finisher.
There's nothing wrong with that. Just don't sign him to a 6 yr, $20M contract.

Quote:
Olesz has been playing well (still not worth the contract). He is one of the strongest players/skaters on our team. He should have been a shutdown d-man.
He has been playing well lately. Despite his lack of production and bad contract, I have a soft spot for Olesz. As someone mentioned, his look of utter relief after scoring a goal the other night was telling. He gets a lot of hate (even some from me ), but it's not his fault that the organization offered him that contract. Was he expected to say "no, I'd like less money please"?

I wonder what kind of a hockey player he'd be if he'd been drafted by Detroit.

Quote:
Dadanov is sick. We finally have a player who looks like a natural finnisher and has offensive creativity. Once he puts on a bit more size I could see a lot of offense from him. He's playing bigger than he is right now but getting stronger could elevate him to that next level.
I love that kid's game. If he continues to develop, he could become a poor man's Datsyuk for us. Of course, our young players have a history of stunted growth. Hopefully things are changing.

Old
01-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Two4Fighting

Clememsen on the second goal stopped the first shot, but Clarkson had a second shot.

Kulikov's goal was highly emotional for the team and even me at home, it just a pretty goal at the right time after an awesome minute of keeping the puck in the offensive zone.

Mathias is a very impressive player as you could see flashes of his talent, he needs more minutes, lots of upsides.

I had thought about Kulikov's game and was wishing he could do more, guess what? he did.

New Jersey didn't necessarily play a bad game, they look to be on the rebound, they hanged around up the point that I was doubting our comeback.

I can't believe Kovi is getting paid that kind of money and had no impact in the game.

Clemmens did a good job, but he really wasn't challenged enough last night, I would say he is playing as good as Voukun, I would be happy with either one in the next game.

Old
01-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Two4Fighting

History remind us that we are not able to surpass the 3 winning streak
for many years, but if we could get 2 wins out of the next 3 games, we will certainly be on the running for the playoffs.

Atlanta is in the 8th spot with 51 points, and we have 4 games on hand with 44 points.

Atlanta is one of the teams that we do not seem to be able to handle, but if we win this one, then Columbus is certainly a winnable game and we always play well against Tampa Bay.

Last edited by Two4Fighting: 01-16-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old
01-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
I agree Matthias has played really well - but I don't think PDB is anti-Matthias as much as it's an issue of the guys ahead of him not deserving to lose any ice time.

Who do you take ice time away? Weiss has been on an absolute tear. Santorelli is on a 5 game point streak and has been our most consistent offensive presence. Reasoner is our best defensive forward, by far (IMO) and is the perfect 3rd line (checking) center because of it. His 8 goals ain't too shabby, either.

Matthias is a center....so who loses the ice time?

For once, it's nice to have the problem of having too many players deserving ice time. Before, it was too many guys that deserved to be benched.
Matthias has played wing before, too.
Although, you do make some very good points.

Old
01-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Haj
#CatsAreComing

Haj

Anyone see Dadonov's goal ? What was it like ?

I couldn't find a good highlight on NHL.com

Old
01-16-2011, 02:39 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4Fighting View Post
History remind us that we are not able to surpass the 3 winning streak
for many years, but if we could get 2 wins out of the next 3 games, we will certainly be on the running for the playoffs.

Atlanta is in the 8th spot with 51 points, and we have 4 games on hand with 44 points.

Atlanta is one of the teams that we do not seem to be able to handle, but if we win this one, then Columbus is certainly a winnable game and we always play well against Tampa Bay.
If we're going to have a real shot at the playoffs, we need to start this week. And we'll need all 6 points.

Atlanta is on a 4 game losing streak. Columbus is hardly unbeatable. And as you said, we usually play well against the Lightning. All 3 games are winnable and I see no reason we can't win them all. If we take care of business, we can position ourselves really well for the rest of the year.

Old
01-16-2011, 02:46 PM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Quote:
If Caber then went to cover somebody else in front of the net, I'd agree. But he was covering air. In that situation there's no reason not to chase his man behind the net. That's disregarding the center on that play, which you are right about. That still leaves Caber doing absolutely nothing though.
there were already two men on the guy in the slot. who else is he going to cover?? when the puck is behind the net with an attacker and you have two Dmen on either post, neither will chase. so who are *they* covering in that case? nobody; they're guarding the post. that's how you play that situation. mccabe was guarding the post. if he goes to the other post to cover for kuli, say, you still have two guys on the attacker in the slot and clarkson goes around the other side and stuffs it in. see what i'm saying? the center needed to drop down and cover for kuli. it's really that simple.

Old
01-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
there were already two men on the guy in the slot. who else is he going to cover?? when the puck is behind the net with an attacker and you have two Dmen on either post, neither will chase. so who are *they* covering in that case? nobody; they're guarding the post. that's how you play that situation. mccabe was guarding the post. if he goes to the other post to cover for kuli, say, you still have two guys on the attacker in the slot and clarkson goes around the other side and stuffs it in. see what i'm saying? the center needed to drop down and cover for kuli. it's really that simple.
That's my point though. What purpose was he serving on that play? You can't play everything textbook. You have to make split second decisions and use your head. You're saying Clarkson would go all the way around to the post where Caber was if Caber had chased him instead? Doubtful he would have gotten through all that traffic, and also by then most likely someone else would have gotten on him. Plus, if Caber doesn't chase him there and stays put like he did, then obviously Clarkson isn't going to go around to the other side and will just be content to stay on the far side and isolate McCabe which he did, so why not take the chance anyway? Caber should've recognized the traffic in front and reacted accordingly.

You are right though that the center on that play was primarily at fault for the goal, but still Caber could have done more on that play. Sometimes you cover for teammates to make game winning/saving plays, go outside of your realm of responsibility because you know it's right, etc. IMO that was one of those moments. Sure, he played it how he was "supposed to", but look how that turned out.

Old
01-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
That's my point though. What purpose was he serving on that play? You can't play everything textbook. You have to make split second decisions and use your head. You're saying Clarkson would go all the way around to the post where Caber was if Caber had chased him instead? Doubtful he would have gotten through all that traffic, and also by then most likely someone else would have gotten on him. Plus, if Caber doesn't chase him there and stays put like he did, then obviously Clarkson isn't going to go around to the other side and will just be content to stay on the far side and isolate McCabe which he did, so why not take the chance anyway? Caber should've recognized the traffic in front and reacted accordingly.

You are right though that the center on that play was primarily at fault for the goal, but still Caber could have done more on that play. Sometimes you cover for teammates to make game winning/saving plays, go outside of your realm of responsibility because you know it's right, etc. IMO that was one of those moments. Sure, he played it how he was "supposed to", but look how that turned out.
Zero is right here. As a D-man, you CANNOT chase behind the net. You end up leaving the slot wide open. Kuli got caught semi-covering the pass up the boards, and he shouldn't have even thought about that guy. It wasn't a terrible play, cause most times that stuff play doesn't work. But the difference was that he got several whacks at it before he got hit, and that allowed the goal to happen.

As for McCabe, if no opposing team member is in the low slot, then great, less work for him. But his job in that situation is to keep the front of the net clear, and if no one is there, he's got to clear any rebounds. When someone jams at the side of the net, the puck has a way of getting into the slot. If Caber goes behind the net, the slot is left wide open and he can't clear any rebounds out.

The fault on that goal goes to Kuli, and then Clemmer, but it was pretty flukey either way.

Closed Thread