HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sens Prospect Updates 2010-11 III

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2011, 05:37 PM
HSF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
He's done with the SEL, can't improve fast enough there anymore. He's leading the league in points among defenceman (6th among all skaters), he's quarterbacking one of the top power plays and he's logging 25+ minutes in any tight game that his team plays. (Averaging 23 or something)

However, his problems adjusting is gonna be handling the pace of the NHL, the bigger, faster, stronger forwards and adjusting to the fact that he can't take all the risks offensively that he does at home. He's giving away the puck a whole lot, which might not go punished very often in the SEL but in the NHL, if you give up a lot 2-on-1's or 3-on-2's, you're gonna get scored on a lot.

I wouldn't say he's ready to step into the NHL if we want to do some damage next season, but if we're going very young in a "rebuilding year", he'd be there.

By the way, do we really like our defence to be with all three of Gonchar, Karlsson and Rundblad? Too similar and cover too many of the same weaknesses. Need very strong players on the left side to help.
Cowen will be with the team next year

Old
01-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
Cowen will be with the team next year
Cowen's 10th puts Spokane up over Everett early.

Old
01-16-2011, 08:36 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Cowen's 10th puts Spokane up over Everett early.

Old
01-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Jared Cowen 2010

So based on the evaluations by the posters on this thread, I think its safe to say the Cowen and Rundblad will make the team next year.

Old
01-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Blehst*

no runblad won't make the team, unless he can magically adjust to north american ice right off the bat he will not be making the team I can guarantee that.

Old
01-16-2011, 10:41 PM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blehst View Post
no runblad won't make the team, unless he can magically adjust to north american ice right off the bat he will not be making the team I can guarantee that.
There have been numerous European players who have adjusted to North American ice right away. So putting any "guarantees" into your uninformed opinion is a laughable notion.

He may or may not be able to be on the team next year. No one knows at this point and fans purporting to know are talking out their ass.

Old
01-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Blehst*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
There have been numerous European players who have adjusted to North American ice right away. So putting any "guarantees" into your uninformed opinion is a laughable notion.

He may or may not be able to be on the team next year. No one knows at this point and fans purporting to know are talking out their ass.
read a little more carefully into what I wrote, "unless he can magically adjust to north american ice right off the bat", if he cannot adjust (we will find out in the off season) then he plays in the ahl till he does (which is what I meant by guaranteeing him not playing in the nhl)

there's no way in hell our next coach is going to have that many rookies on the back end

phillips - karlsson
gonchar - cowen?
kuba - runblad?

really? not going to happen.

Old
01-16-2011, 10:47 PM
SENSational Sens Fan

Old
01-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Blehst*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy The Sens Fan View Post
hahahahah he was pulling that old you can't reach me arm to head trick.

Old
01-16-2011, 10:55 PM
Jerrico

Do you guys expect Silfverberg to make the sens next season?

Old
01-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Blehst*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrico View Post
he's got one heck of a shot, can skate well, decent size. although again with a lot of euro skaters, they have to get used to the ice here. although I would like to see Silverbullet here in ottawa I'd assume he's going to play in bingo

Old
01-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Jared Cowen 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrico View Post
No, he'll likely need a year to get his chance. He'll probably play in Bingo where (if he plays good) he may get a few call ups.

Old
01-16-2011, 11:33 PM
HSF

if both Silvferberg and Rundblad come over and we are going for youth then they both at most will probably spend half the year in the AHL if that. Might be what karlsson did and spend like 15-20 games and then see what they can do.

Old
01-16-2011, 11:43 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Cowen 2010 View Post
No, he'll likely need a year to get his chance. He'll probably play in Bingo where (if he plays good) he may get a few call ups.
I dunno, I'm thinking his transition to the NHL could very well be seamless. He doesn't play a risky game, very much a shoot first type of player and will follow up for a rebound.

He also weighs 193 pounds right now, and at 6 ft, he's a pretty close build to Foligno. As long as he follows the system well enough, he could easily make the 3rd line.

Old
01-16-2011, 11:46 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
I dunno, I'm thinking his transition to the NHL could very well be seamless. He doesn't play a risky game, very much a shoot first type of player and will follow up for a rebound.

He also weighs 193 pounds right now, and at 6 ft, he's a pretty close build to Foligno. As long as he follows the system well enough, he could easily make the 3rd line.
this is what i am thinking.

Just like Marcus Johansson (caps) and to an extent Jacob Josefson who got send down recently but is also a year younger.

Old
01-16-2011, 11:53 PM
Minister of Offence

http://whl.ca/video/index/id/4be4d17...71f90cb43377f0

From the outdoor game. Cowen scores at 1:45. Spokane's now tied for the western conference lead with Portland and has 2 games in hand.

Old
01-16-2011, 11:57 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Silfverberg will be playing with Ottawa next year. Unless Condra/Greening/O'Brien have a spectacular camp.

Silfverberg was, imo, Ottawa's best prospect at the development camp last year. This year he has learnt a lot and would be that much better to make the Sens lineup.

Old
01-17-2011, 12:28 AM
DefenseMinister

What many fans are failing to notice is the general development process for all higher end European prospects. That is, in this day and age because the European leagues (and especially the SEL) are so much further advanced than they were previously, the AHL is no longer as necessary in the development of those prospects as it used to be.

Many of these players will remain in Europe, playing for good money against men until they are ready to make their jump to the NHL. NHL teams seem to be generally ok with this arrangement because of the quality of play. They leave the AHL roster spots for the North American prospects and leave the Swedes in the SEL until they're ready to come over.

So aside from a quick stint in the AHL (much like the 12 games Karlsson went down for in November last year), when they come over, there is every expectation from the NHL team that they're ready for the NHL. They aren't here to put in a season in Bingo.

Rundblad is the same age as Cowen and has been playing against men (as opposed to junior age players). If he came next year, he'd be a year older than Karlsson was when he made the team out of camp. Rundblad is bigger physically than Karlsson and is less risk-prone. I don't see a really good reason why he wouldn't have a good shot at making the team.

As for Cowen, he should be able to make the team just on the basis of his physical maturity. I don't think it would be out of the question to see the two of them in the lineup next year. You're allowed to dress more than one rookie on defense, teams have done it on numerous occasions in the past.

Old
01-17-2011, 01:29 AM
Sensfanman

If we are going into full rebuild, which I can only hope we are, it makes perfect sense to bring over every kid we have. Firstly, they're going to lose. Great, we need more high picks. Secondly, we can be like Edmonton and have a plethora of kids playing mostly for fun but led by Alfie and Spezza and maybe Phillips to help with the bumps. What better place to learn than playing in the fire.

I think our prospects have the make up to do it and not be shattered and "ruined". Kids are leading their teams so much now, I think the old "rushing prospects" problem is no longer apt. Speaking of which, I don't even know of any solid proof that it existed to begin with.

Let me just say that I think any prospect will get more out of being killed by Pittsburgh and learning how to adapt than by beating up the Marlies and learning how to win. This assumes we have a competent coach who can teach these kids appropriately and remind them that they are going to get burned but to learn and not fall apart because of it.

Old
01-17-2011, 01:51 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Derek Grant had 3 pts this weekend in his two game series vs Lake Superior state. (1 goal + 2 assists)

Highlights from game one Grant is big #27 in green. He's currently tied for 1st in points on state.

Old
01-17-2011, 02:17 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Caporusso had 2 points, both assists (2GP)
Chris Wideman had 3 points, all assists (2GP)

Old
01-17-2011, 06:44 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

I think that Silfverberg and Rundblad have a great chance at making the first team next year. Especially Silfverberg. We need more depth along the left wing, and a shoot first type player that follows his puck would be invaluable for our team right now, especially this sniper. Man when he gets that shot off is it ever nice. He's only going to keep improving, too. I think he has all the makings of being an impact player on the Sens.

Silfverberg - Regin - Winchester as a fourth line assuming that we keep Spezza/Fisher/Kelly.

Old
01-17-2011, 09:22 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blehst View Post
I'll take your word for it... I think he'll be given the same opportunity as Karlsson.

Old
01-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy The Sens Fan View Post
Is this the WHL's Rick Jeanerette with the call? Talk about one sided.

Old
01-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Jackie Treehorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post
Is this the WHL's Rick Jeanerette with the call? Talk about one sided.
If you listen to last 20 seconds the color guy calls Cowen a bear, and then goes on right the end to say "that Cowen..." pretty funny.

Closed Thread