HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Boyle

Old
01-15-2011, 05:35 AM
Blane Youngblood

vCash: 500
Boyle

Based on an outsider's perspective it seems your team needs another top 4 defenseman. Obviously, you gotta give to get.

Would you be interested in:
To Van: Boyle
To SJ: Erhoff + Ballard
Plus picks/prospects to make it work.

Sorry if this is terribly insulting to anyone.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 05:38 AM
wtfisthis

Just....no...I agree with giving to get but you don't give your best D man up for a slight upgrade at best. If you can even call it an upgrade. That's like giving Luongo for Niemi + Niittymaki.

wtfisthis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 06:15 AM
WTFetus

It's actually not bad, but Ehrhoff is an UFA so that's a huge turnoff. A conditional first wouldn't even be enough. Make it Edler and Hamhuis.
Both aren't trades Vancouver would do though.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 06:35 AM
DutchSharksfan11

if wilson ever trades boyle he realy lost it! i think boyle will finish his career in SJ...

DutchSharksfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 07:05 AM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfisthis View Post
Just....no...I agree with giving to get but you don't give your best D man up for a slight upgrade at best. If you can even call it an upgrade. That's like giving Luongo for Niemi + Niittymaki.
I figure it would be more like trading Kesler for Pavelski and Clowe. Doesn't make sense to use goalies in your example since we are talking about adding quantity (of decent quality) for better quality...and seems a little more reasonable if you put it that way IMO.

Keep in mind, its hard to come up with moves that add (in number) another legitimate top 4 d-man while still being ok with both teams' budgets/caps (I'm pretty sure most teams at this point are either at their cap limit or internal budget).

Old
01-15-2011, 07:12 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blane Youngblood View Post
I figure it would be more like trading Kesler for Pavelski and Clowe.
yeah no. That value isn't close imo. You are basically giving the Sharks a wash at C (I realize that Kesler is an slight upgrade over Pavs but Clowe doesn't even remotely make that the same trade).

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 08:12 AM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
yeah no. That value isn't close imo. You are basically giving the Sharks a wash at C (I realize that Kesler is an slight upgrade over Pavs but Clowe doesn't even remotely make that the same trade).
Not really the point of this thread, but Pavelski has never broken 60 points, Kesler put up 75 last year and is on pace to put up 45-50 goals this year and surpass his points figure from last year. Kesler finished 2nd for the Selke (Pavelski was 23rd). If you think Kesler is only a slight upgrade on Pavs, you are kidding yourself.

Again not the point of this thread, but most would agree that Clowe is a solid top 6 but not a bonefied top line forward just like how Ballard is a solid top 4 d-man but not considered strong top pairing guy. Ballard is a guy who will be near the top in hits and blocked shots just like how Clowe brings great intangibles.

No example is perfect, but mine wasn't bad - the only problem with it is contracts.

Old
01-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Dan Boyle is not available for a few reasons. One, he's our #1 and needed on this team as he is the offense from the blue line. Going from him to Ehrhoff and Ballard would be way too risky of a proposition. Why? Ehrhoff would most definitely bounce at the end of the year and he would be the offensive replacement and Ballard has flat out sucked so far and hasn't been an offensive force in quite some time.

Plus, Boyle has an NTC thru 2012 and won't be asked to waive it, much less actually waive it. Ballard does too so who knows if he even has SJ on his list.

If you want Boyle, your offer starts with Edler and goes from there. Otherwise, it's pointless to even talk about it...which it is anyway.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Jesus Toews*

Honestly, if Ehrhoff was signed to the same deal as Ballard, I'd absolutely do this. As it stands, though, absolutely not. We probably aren't making the playoffs so having Ehrhoff until he bolts in the summer is of no value. Would do Boyle+Setoguchi for Edler+Ballard, though.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
Honestly, if Ehrhoff was signed to the same deal as Ballard, I'd absolutely do this. As it stands, though, absolutely not. We probably aren't making the playoffs so having Ehrhoff until he bolts in the summer is of no value. Would do Boyle+Setoguchi for Edler+Ballard, though.
I'd rather leave Ballard in Vancouver. He's having an awful year after recovering from his concussion. I'd rather just avoid a long term investment into a player that is recovering from that.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I'd rather leave Ballard in Vancouver. He's having an awful year after recovering from his concussion. I'd rather just avoid a long term investment into a player that is recovering from that.
Fair enough. Maybe he'll eventually tomahawk chop Luongo's head off too . Anyway, I doubt there's many packages teams could assemble that would convince Gillis to part with Edler.

Old
01-15-2011, 12:20 PM
lol3rdround

Can I set an option somewhere so I don't have to see these horrible trade proposal topics? Each and every post inside them (especially the follow up "return offers") are honestly insulting to anyone who follows more than their own team.

lol3rdround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Bizz06
Registered Goon

Getting rid of Ehrhoff was one of the best things to happen to this franchise in the last 5 years. I wouldnt want him back.

Bizz06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
Getting rid of Ehrhoff was one of the best things to happen to this franchise in the last 5 years. I wouldnt want him back.
Yeah, who needs an elite #2 defenseman good for 15 goals and 45 points a year with blinding speed, great shot-blocking ability, one of the deadliest (and now most accurate) slapshots in the league, capable of being the trigger man on any first PP unit in the NHL? I'm so glad Our Lord and Savior Sir Douglas Wilson dumped him for future superstars Patrick White and Daniel Rahimi!

Old
01-15-2011, 01:18 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
Yeah, who needs an elite #2 defenseman good for 15 goals and 45 points a year with blinding speed, great shot-blocking ability, one of the deadliest (and now most accurate) slapshots in the league, capable of being the trigger man on any first PP unit in the NHL? I'm so glad Our Lord and Savior Sir Douglas Wilson dumped him for future superstars Patrick White and Daniel Rahimi!
I want Error back! I was against his leaving from the beginning, before we even knew the crap we were getting back.

Seriously, though, I think that we need to trade Boyle in the next couple of seasons. He's not going to be worth his cap hit when he's 38 and we'll all resent and hate him for it, and I don't want Dan to go out that way.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post

And you're happy we kept Pickles instead?

Gilligans Island is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:27 PM
SonomaShark
SJ Chokers

Just say NO to Ehrhoff! If he were all that wonderful, then Nucks fans wouldn't be shopping him around.

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Jesus Toews*

Those of you with a poor perception of Ehrhoff have not seen him since he's been with Vancouver. It's honestly looking like he's by far the best defenseman the Sharks have drafted in franchise history. Letting him go was in the drafting Michalek+Bernier over Richards, Getzlaf, Perry, Carter or Kesler/trading for and then re-signing Niclas Wallin/trading for Mark Bell/drafting Seto over Kopitar league of boneheaded DW moves.

Old
01-15-2011, 03:00 PM
wtfisthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blane Youngblood View Post
I figure it would be more like trading Kesler for Pavelski and Clowe. Doesn't make sense to use goalies in your example since we are talking about adding quantity (of decent quality) for better quality...and seems a little more reasonable if you put it that way IMO.
I was trying to make a comparison value wise that's why I used it. Boyle = Luongo, Pre-Sharks Niemi = Ehrhoff, current Ballard = Niittymaki. Not perfect but close.

wtfisthis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 03:07 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

I would love to be in the room when Gillis tells Ehrhoff he's been traded back to San Jose for the stretch run .......

And then I'd love to see DW in the press announcement talking about the return of a player we have always respected .... blah... blah ... blah

01-15-2011, 03:10 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Lol, awful.

Step 1 of improving the team's defence is not "Trade your best defenceman."

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 01-15-2011 at 03:25 PM. Reason: grammar failure
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Lol, awful.

Step 1 of improving the team's defence does is not "Trade your best defenceman."
Hm. Note to self ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Yes let's help Vancouver some more by trading our best Dman for a guy who'll give us the finger and bolt to some other team at the end of the season. Yea i'd love Ehrhoff back but after trading him away I doubt he'd want to resign here if he got traded here.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Franchise13

I counter you with...

Doug Wilson for Gillis...

(Just kidding, I actually don't mind Wilson)

Franchise13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 05:33 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

This thread is ridiculous. There is no way that Vancouver makes changes when they are the hottest team in the nhl. And Pavelski isn't even close to being the player that Ryan Kesler is. In facet Pavelski is the player we should trade for help, either on offense or defense.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote