HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boyle

Old
01-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Error isn't a #2 elite Dman, his play has fallen off greatly compared to last year.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Blane Youngblood

vCash: 500
Have Sharks fans really given up on the season? That's crazy IMO. I made the trade proposal thinking it would help get you guys into the playoffs. You just don't have two d-pairs you can reasonably throw over the boards.

If Error is the problem, the Canucks would probably send Bieksa + Ballard.

Basically it's two of our "top 4 caliber" dmen:
-Edler. At this point wouldn't trade him for almost anyone.
-Hamhuis. Signed as a UFA to come home. Won't backstab him.
-Ehrhoff. He's one guy we could part with.
-Ballard. He's another guy we could part with. NTC probably included SJ as ok at the start of the year.
-Bieksa. Our #2 minute shutdown guy. I'd trade him for Boyle.
-Salo. NTC and not worth that much.

The Canucks can afford to trade two legitate top 4 dmen because we have 6 guys who have historically played that role and have Alberts + Rome for cover.

IMO, you guys still in it and just need to add some good depth on D and you're back on track.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Winky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blane Youngblood View Post
Have Sharks fans really given up on the season? That's crazy IMO. I made the trade proposal thinking it would help get you guys into the playoffs. You just don't have two d-pairs you can reasonably throw over the boards.

If Error is the problem, the Canucks would probably send Bieksa + Ballard.

Basically it's two of our "top 4 caliber" dmen:
-Edler. At this point wouldn't trade him for almost anyone.
-Hamhuis. Signed as a UFA to come home. Won't backstab him.
-Ehrhoff. He's one guy we could part with.
-Ballard. He's another guy we could part with. NTC probably included SJ as ok at the start of the year.
-Bieksa. Our #2 minute shutdown guy. I'd trade him for Boyle.
-Salo. NTC and not worth that much.

The Canucks can afford to trade two legitate top 4 dmen because we have 6 guys who have historically played that role and have Alberts + Rome for cover.

IMO, you guys still in it and just need to add some good depth on D and you're back on track.
No, Ehrhoff isn't the problem with your trade proposal. Boyle is the problem.

Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 08:20 PM
wtfisthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blane Youngblood View Post
Bieksa + Ballard
That's even worse. I think we would all gladly take Ehrhoff back just not at the cost of Boyle. And yes, we need depth on D and it's our biggest problem but you don't give up your best Dman for depth. If anything, they need to trade one of their forwards for depth D and not their #1 dman.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:10 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

The problem isn't Ehrhoff. it's that your solution for "improving" the D begins with the Sharks trading away their best d-man for two other who (no matter which package you use) are not as good. This creates more depth by virtue of replacing Wallin's spot in teh lineup with Ballard (and shifting Wallin to the bench instead of someone like Joslin), but it does not create worthwhile improvement in the overall skill level of the D (since the low-end upgrade is accompanied by a high-end downgrade from Boyle to Ehrhoff. An even further downgrade if you put in Bieksa instead).

And you're not convincing me with the way he's played this year that Ballard is top 4.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:16 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
The problem isn't Ehrhoff. it's that your solution for "improving" the D begins with the Sharks trading away their best d-man for two other who (no matter which package you use) are not as good. This creates more depth by virtue of replacing Wallin's spot in teh lineup with Ballard (and shifting Wallin to the bench instead of someone like Joslin), but it does not create worthwhile improvement in the overall skill level of the D (since the low-end upgrade is accompanied by a high-end downgrade from Boyle to Ehrhoff. An even further downgrade if you put in Bieksa instead).

And you're not convincing me with the way he's played this year that Ballard is top 4.
Ballard was top 4 last year, easily. Not so this year. Ehrhoff is not that far below Boyle by the numbers (not points alone).

The other issue that isn't being addressed is rebuild. A rebuild would take the Sharks at least a couple of years. At that point, Boyle will be falling off. Rebuilding would mean trying to get younger. I am not saying that it is time to rebuild, but if it is then it is not so unpalatable to move Boyle.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:44 PM
lsx

Boyle gets traded and I stop watching.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Kitten Mittons

I'd do it if it was Edler and Ehrhoff w/an extension.

But I am pretty sure everyone would (outside of the two fanbases).

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
I'd do it if it was Edler and Ehrhoff w/an extension.

But I am pretty sure everyone would (outside of the two fanbases).
I don't think most Canucks fans would trade Edler for Boyle straight up considering age and contract.

I guess you guys better trade forwards for D and soon.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:13 PM
Kitten Mittons

I don't blame them. He has a ridiculously low contract and for 3 more years.

Old
01-16-2011, 04:49 AM
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
Getting rid of Ehrhoff was one of the best things to happen to this franchise in the last 5 years. I wouldnt want him back.
Like, do people not recognize sarcasm if the smiley isn't involved? Geez.

DW doesn't trade Boyle until after publicly threatening to waive him.

09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
Yeah, who needs an elite(lol!) #2(7) defenseman good for 15 (near)goals and 45 points a year(only when he's playing on the PP with the Sedins) with blinding speed(to turn over the puck 50% faster), great shot-blocking ability(dime a dozen in the NHL), one of the deadliest(and now most accurate(LOL)) slapshots in the league, capable of being the trigger man on any first PP unit in the NHL(except Pittsburgh, Washington, Philadelphia, Detroit, San Jose, Chicago, Anaheim, Atlanta, Tampa Bay)? I'm so glad Our Lord and Savior Sir Douglas Wilson dumped him for future superstars Patrick White and Daniel Rahimi cap space to bring in Dany Heatley!
FIFY

Last edited by Bizz06: 01-16-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Bizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
FIFY
I am simply amazed at your ridiculously warped view of Ehrhoff. The things lacking on D, even if you toss out all the stats that he is getting in Vancouver, are things that Ehrhoff brings.

With how much you hate Ehrhoff, you must hate everyone else on the team, as they're all just as prone to mistakes that you credit Ehrhoff with. And this year, there isn't anyone on our blue line that is playing better than Ehrhoff.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
FIFY
That's not even accurate. Ehrhoff was dumped to clear space for Rob Blake. The Heatley trade was essentially a washout from a cap perspective (it opened up a need for a bottom six to replace Cheechoo which was Ortmeyer for something like 850k). Even if it was for Heatley (which I just proved it wasn't. And, really, DW isn't the greatest GM but few general managers are so incompetent that they shed cap space for acquiring a player BEFORE acquiring said player, particularly in the offseason), you're blind if you don't think a defenseman of Ehrhoff's caliber would be infinitely more useful to this team right now than Heatley. He'd also be the trigger man on every power play you mentioned except Washington, Atlanta and Tampa Bay. There's no use even refuting you because it's so obvious you haven't seen a single Canucks game that Ehrhoff has played in.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Kitten Mittons

I am yet to hear a coherent explanation to why Bizz06 hates him so much.