Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikkleson

Old
01-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Body Checker

vCash: 500
Mikkleson

I don't know about everyone else but I like Brendan Mikkleson more than Sarich, Staois and Pardy.

At a cheaper price and younger upside I think he brings the same as the above guys and even more speed.

After watching Sarich lose a foot race to Winchester last night it's time the Flames made Brendan a permanent member of the 3rd pairing.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

Pardy, yeah I'll agree. Pardy has been pretty bad lately. Staios yeah probably, younger, cheaper, provides the same stuff, and I'll disagree about Sarich though.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Signature
One brick at a time.

vCash: 50
Sarich > Mikkelson > Staios > Pardy, I would say, regardless of foot speed - Sarich is a great defender for us. Plays his heart out even if his skating can't.

P.S. if you like him so much, at least spell his name right. :p

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:40 PM
flames123

Sorry but Mikkelson is no where near Sarich's level. He may be the better bang/buck but I'd take Sarich any day over him.

Bo > Gio > Regehr > Sarich > Babchuk > Pardy > Mikkelson > Staios

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 03:31 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
I don't know about everyone else but I like Brendan Mikkleson more than Sarich, Staois and Pardy.

I'll take Sarich over Mikkelson every day. No knock on Mikkelson, I like him, but he's not better than Sarich. More foot speed yes, but not as good defensively.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 05:40 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Hasn't shown that he's anything special. Sarich is better for sure and personally I like Pardy better too.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 07:03 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 308
I think he's going to be a good dmen in a season or two, but atm I'd take both Sarich and Pardy over him

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Sarich is better than Mikkelson, however Mikkelson makes $687,500 and Sarich makes 3.6 million. Mikkelson's contract is up at the end of this season and will likely get a moderate pay raise. I'm thinking in the area of 850-900k. Sarich is still under contract for next season. Given the depth on the blueline that the Flames have, I would not hesitate to trade Sarich if the return was a 2nd round pick. The fact that Brodie and Erixon will likely be ready next season is another reason Sarich can be traded now. Although Sarich is better, Mikkelson is more than capable of filling in for Sarich down the stretch. Having a big, slower defence has not worked out for the Flames post lockout. Personally I'm looking forward to seeing the Flames shift towards a more mobile defence.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:48 AM
Lunatik*

Sarich is infinitely better than Mikkelson... i'm not saying anything else or i will go into a tirade and call you names

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Body Checker

boring everybody, all i hear is we're too old and too slow but Sarich is just great I guess, at $3.6 million a year he takes up way too much cap space.

funny how everyone jumps on the Sutters not giving young guys a chance but posters on here disregard any mention of playing anyone young in the current system over some veterans

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:17 PM
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty

Sarich is a warrior. Yes he takes up alot of cap space but I am a big Sarich fan and I see quite a few people on HF are too. I do like what Mikkelson brings but it's hard to say if we can slot him ahead of Pardy yet. I would hang on to him for sure.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 0
Quote:
boring everybody, all i hear is we're too old and too slow but Sarich is just great I guess, at $3.6 million a year he takes up way too much cap space.

funny how everyone jumps on the Sutters not giving young guys a chance but posters on here disregard any mention of playing anyone young in the current system over some veterans
Most of the talk is about the youngsters getting a spot over veterans when they are the same skill level. I wouldn't be opposed to see
Pardy take a spot over Staios. Many fans got mad over the Amonte/Freisen style signings as we had decent prospects we could have developed.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:

when Mikkelson is inferior to Sarich in every facet of the game their age is a non-factor... Sarich is a clear 4/5 guy... Mikkelson is a borderline NHLer

Old
01-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I actually really like Mikkelson. He is a good skater and good at moving the puck out of his zone. His passing is pretty decent and he is also surprising physical at times. And as others have noted, he is young and cheap. I hope that he stays on with the Flames.

Old
01-16-2011, 07:06 PM
GaryTheGreatRoberts

sarich is a high paid defencemen who the flames can afford to loose with the likes of pardy,mikkleson and staios

Sarich for Souray

GaryTheGreatRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Noori

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr3000gt View Post
Sarich for Souray
Not necessary with Babchuk on this team. Kotalik also has a booming shot which Sutter has started to use on the PP.

Souray brings his shot and not much else.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
Not necessary with Babchuk on this team. Kotalik also has a booming shot which Sutter has started to use on the PP.

Souray brings his shot and not much else.
Not true, he brings a Sutter type of contract.

Old
01-16-2011, 09:14 PM
GaryTheGreatRoberts

sourays contract is at half now to

GaryTheGreatRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Noori

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Not true, he brings a Sutter type of contract.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 03:23 AM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
when Mikkelson is inferior to Sarich in every facet of the game their age is a non-factor... Sarich is a clear 4/5 guy... Mikkelson is a borderline NHLer
He has that in common with Pardy and Staios... But his skillset is still better-suited to be in the lineup in a 'borderline' capacity than either of those guys.

HarrySPlinkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 03:27 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
He has that in common with Pardy and Staios... But his skillset is still better-suited to be in the lineup in a 'borderline' capacity than either of those guys.
I have never been a fan of Pardy but I really don't dislike his play this year

Old
01-17-2011, 03:31 AM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I have never been a fan of Pardy but I really don't dislike his play this year
He's a player who needs to be protected even in the bottom pairing. Babchuk isn't great defensively, but he provides an offensive weapon that kinda balances the scales a bit. When he and Pardy are paired together, it's often times license for a fire drill in the defensive zone, mainly because neither are particularly quick-footed or good puck-movers. Mikkelsson, for all his faults, is better suited to play with Babchuk because he's at least more mobile and makes a decent first pass. Better than Pardy, anyway.

HarrySPlinkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:16 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
He's a player who needs to be protected even in the bottom pairing. Babchuk isn't great defensively, but he provides an offensive weapon that kinda balances the scales a bit. When he and Pardy are paired together, it's often times license for a fire drill in the defensive zone, mainly because neither are particularly quick-footed or good puck-movers. Mikkelsson, for all his faults, is better suited to play with Babchuk because he's at least more mobile and makes a decent first pass. Better than Pardy, anyway.
What about the fact that Pardy is hitting now? or the fact he blocks more shots?... or even takes more shots...

while Mikkelson may make a better first pass and skates better he is not better defensively... Pardy blocks alot more shots and is actually using his size... Mikkelson isn't... Mikkelson right now is Adam Pardy from 2 seasons ago... I wouldn't give up on him but he isn't ready to be part of the daily lineup... Pardy has matured alot this season and its shows

Old
01-18-2011, 07:27 PM
AfricanHerbsman

bo> gio > reggie > babs > sarich > mikkleson > staios > pardy. Pardy is the biggest duster in the league.

AfricanHerbsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 08:06 PM
SaintMorose

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokedick View Post
bo> gio > reggie > babs > sarich > mikkleson > staios > pardy. Pardy is the biggest duster in the league.
because of some bad luck against Montreal?

The guy has stepped up into Regher's minutes in Toronto and was the best d-man on the ice. His only problem seems to be consistency as he continues to get better and better as a shutdown guy.

SaintMorose is offline   Reply With Quote