2011 Australian Open

Old
01-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
2011 Australian Open

starts tomorrow, didn't see a thread for it.

here is the draw. http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis.../p1/index.html

Go Nole!

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:36 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Does anyone know US television times for this? I can't find it in my guide. It's not showing up correctly.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 03:38 PM
tmf2204

Links for ESPN2 TV schedule (No Mary Carillo), ESPN2 + Tennis Channel, and free live streaming.

The "Rally for Relief" exo to support victims of the massive flooding in Queensland takes place at 2 pm local time Sunday, 10 pm EST tonight. It'll be on Tennis Channel and streaming live on australianopen.com.

Nalbandian-Hewitt first round should be interesting.

tmf2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:18 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Thank you tmf. I absolutely love the Aussie Open. I just hate we have to wait allllll the way to the French once it's over. Hopefully we have some young guns step up and make a statement.

By the way, what the hell is up with American tennis? I'm not looking forward to the future of our young guys. I'm not totally sold.

Old
01-16-2011, 03:09 PM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
I went to see the qualification of some of the Canadian yesterday:

Frank Dancevic vs. Alex Bogomolov - Dancevic didn't played an extremely good game, but his service was strong and precice, which gave him an edge over Bogomolov. As for the american, he was very inconstant through the game and played himself out of it, throwing his his racket everywhere all through the game. I don't see Dancevic making it a close contest against Richard Gasquet in the first round.

Milos Raonic vs. Andrej Martin - I just saw the third and final set against those two (Was watching Dancevic-Bogomolov), but I was left very impress by the Canadian Raonic, who's got all the talent in the world. I've been told he had some difficulty early on, losing the first set to the Slovak, but in the 3rd set, Raonic outclass Martin to the point where they didn't looked in the same league. Raonic is only 21 years of age, and I've been told his worst enemy is himself, so he can get his head straight, he could make some noise in the following years.

Stéphanie Dubois vs. Sania Mirza - I'm a big fan of Dubois. She's not the most talented player out there, but she's a fighter and work very hard on every point. However, although she didn't played bad, she was just outclass by Mirza, who just played a marvellous game. She has a very strong forearm shot ('coup droit' in french, I don't know the best translation) and was very precise with it. I wouldn't be surprise to see Mirza breaking the service of Justine Henin at some point in the game and making it interesting.

Today, I have the chance to have 2nd row ticket to see the first round matchup of Maria Sharapova, Caroline Wozniacki and Roger Federer. I honestly don't see more than 7 sets being played all together in those three matchup.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:27 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

33 minutes away from the first service game of the new grand slam year!! Very excited.

Old
01-16-2011, 06:18 PM
bruinsfan46

Sharapova broken at love, missed her first five serves, took about a minute between each serve.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 06:22 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Sharapova broken at love, missed her first five serves, took about a minute between each serve.
She starts slow. I bet she comes on strong in about 20 more minutes. She looked really nervous.

Old
01-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Will Nadal win a 4th major in a row? He's already the only player to win majors on 3 surfaces in one year, what's to stop him from winning 4 in a row?

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 06:54 PM
kihei

Just took a quick glance at the men's draw. It looks weirdly even, though Murray draws a wild card in that he might have to face del Potro in the 3rd round. Other than that, it looks like a fair fight all the way around.

Go Rafa.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:12 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Got some action in the first day already. Monfils looks like he's on his way out. Fish wish a terrible start. Sammy is tied 1-1.

Some shockers occurring early.

Old
01-16-2011, 09:11 PM
bruinsfan46

Rough start for the American men. Fish down two sets, Harrison down a set and a break, Querrey in the fifth.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

American Tennis' best shot is Isner or Roddick lol (if they are playing, to be honest I haven't even looked at the field), and neither's won a major in years. This probably won't be the year either, at least for Aussie Open

Federer or Nadal takes it

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:51 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Some great matches in the early going. This is just amazing. Monfils comes back 2-0 down AND a break. He was 0-10 when up against that before.

Now Fish (0-18) was facing the same issue down 2 sets. He's up a break 4-3 in the fifth.

Aussie Open starts off with a bang.

Old
01-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Fish wins it. Didn't think he would, good for him

Old
01-17-2011, 12:19 AM
njdevscup30
Boom Boom

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
American Tennis' best shot is Isner or Roddick lol (if they are playing, to be honest I haven't even looked at the field), and neither's won a major in years. This probably won't be the year either, at least for Aussie Open

Federer or Nadal takes it
Isner can't win it. Only Roddick can but he's wildly inconsistent an will probably flop in the 3rd round.

njdevscup30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:09 AM
EagleBelfour

I had the chance to see three afternoon games, first row and behind the players, at the Rod Laver Arena. Here's my unprofessional takes on them:

Maria Sharapova def. Tamarine Tanasugarn (6-1 6-3): The widely inconstant Maria Sharapova was extremely lucky to draw an 'over the hill' opponent in Tanasugarn, because there's no doubt in my mind that a competent opponent would of upset the fourteen seed. The first time Sharapova served in the game was a total disaster. She lost all four points in a row, while making three double fault (Without looking, she probably done a dozen double fault, while serving only 8-time in the game). Her play was erratic from the start. However, she shown on occasion flashes of brilliance that demonstrate why she's recognize as one of the best tennis player in the world. All thing consider, Sharapova could be shown the exit as early as next few rounds if she doesn't improve her constancy. She's lucky to be in an easy part of the bracket, and hopefully this will enable her to regain her form. (On a personal note, Sharapova is bar none the most beautiful athlete I ever saw, she's stunning!)

Caroline Wozniacki def. Gisela Dulko (6-3 6-4): I have no doubt that this matchup was one of the most 'relevé' of the first round. Dulko was a formidable opponent, who probably could of upset quite a few opponent today. She just drew unlucky and had to face the #1 player in the world in Caroline Wozniacki. I was not very familiar with her, but I understand now how she was able to climb up to the #1 seed. Wozniacki isn't as spectacular as a Serena Williams or Roger Federer, but she's steady and rarely do any mistake. She's also very precise with almost all her shots. She's the #1 seed and definitely the girl to beat.

Roger Federer def. Lukas Lacko (6-1 6-1 6-3): In 20-25 years, I'll be happy to say to my children that I had the chance to see the best tennis player of all-time live. It was a walk in the park for Federer (who would of taught otherwise?) against the Slovakian who was able, not too long ago, to steal a set to Rafael Nadal. Federer was spectacular and won about a dozen point where you definitely taught at some point that he was beaten. He's a magician of the field.

Old
01-17-2011, 01:44 AM
tmf2204

In 14 slam appearances Querrey has lost in the first round 10 times. In a more surprising result Davydenko also went down, in four sets against Florian Mayer.

Old
01-17-2011, 06:19 AM
Tuggy

Canadians:

Marino is through to the second round and will face Schiavone. Very tough test but great to see the 20 year old win another match at a major.

Dancevic out in the first.

Raonic (another 20 year old - on the Men's side) still to play.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:32 PM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Canadians:

Marino is through to the second round and will face Schiavone. Very tough test but great to see the 20 year old win another match at a major.

Dancevic out in the first.

Raonic (another 20 year old - on the Men's side) still to play.
The way Dancevic played in his third round qualification match, there was no way he was going to win against Gasquet.

On the other hand, don't be surprise if Raonic win his first round match against the 85th best player in the world.

Old
01-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

I think I could beat this guy playing Nadal, horribly bad.

Old
01-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
I think I could beat this guy playing Nadal, horribly bad.
6-0, 5-0 ret. Seems to me like Nadal just beat him into submission.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:46 AM
tmf2204

Ivanovic is in quite the duel against Makarova. Currently 6 all in the 3rd set, Ana having already saved 4 match points.

Make it 5. Now 8 all. Credit to both women: many of the points being won at this late stage are off winners.

Unbelievable hitting to the very last point. Makarova wins it on her 6th chance, 10-8 in the final set.

Last edited by tmf2204: 01-18-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old
01-18-2011, 06:08 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
The way Dancevic played in his third round qualification match, there was no way he was going to win against Gasquet.

On the other hand, don't be surprise if Raonic win his first round match against the 85th best player in the world.
Straight sets win for Raonic!

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:08 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Haha I sat beside Milos in grade 12 calc...dude destroyed me in that course.

Funny to see him tearing **** up; his serve is unreal. Hopefully he beats Llodra tomorrow.

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote