HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Msg Fios Hd

Old
01-15-2011, 12:05 PM
alkurtz

vCash: 500
Msg Fios Hd

I know this has likely been discussed before but I can't seem to get a straight answer so I thought I'd go straight to those who know best:

Is MSG HD available on Verizon FIOS in the downstate NY (Mahopac, Carmel) area?

My digust with Comcast knows no limit and the only thing keeping me with this sad excuse of a cable company is the availability of MSG HD.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:16 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

MSG will not provide the HD feed to any Fios service area. Foor instance I live 60 miles north of the city. Comcast and IO do not have territory here, not even close, but their cable buddies Time Warner do, so, no Fios HD.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:46 PM
broadwayblue

There's a big thread on this. Bottom line is it's in the courts and imo EVENTUALLY Dolan will be compelled to provide it to competitors. It was only through the "Terrestrial Loophole" that he was able to withhold it in the first place...and that was corrected last year. Now he's just trying to slow play it through the legal system...but at some point justice will prevail.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

I find it annoying, because I have Verizon in my house. Not my decision, but we do. It sucks. I go somewhere else to watch the game all the time. Like tonight I will be going to my friends house just to watch the game.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:00 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
I find it annoying, because I have Verizon in my house. Not my decision, but we do. It sucks. I go somewhere else to watch the game all the time. Like tonight I will be going to my friends house just to watch the game.
And it sucks for me because I can't switch to Verizon because of it. TWC is ok...but from everything I've read it seems as if the picture quality and price are better with FIOS.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:44 PM
ReggieDunlop68
hey hanrahan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
There's a big thread on this. Bottom line is it's in the courts and imo EVENTUALLY Dolan will be compelled to provide it to competitors. It was only through the "Terrestrial Loophole" that he was able to withhold it in the first place...and that was corrected last year. Now he's just trying to slow play it through the legal system...but at some point justice will prevail.
Look, I want FiOS + MSG HD as bad as everyone else on these board, but I do not understand why people are so surprised as to why Dolan withholds the HD feed. Should he give up one of his few bargaining chips to the competitor? Its not as if Verizon is innocent from playing hard ball while at the same time pissing off potential consumers, and this is coming from someone who holds a good amount of stock in the company. What I am trying to say is it astonishes me that people have trouble seeing why Dolan "won't just give it up" or "let justice prevail."

It benefits me in two major ways, if MSG HD is on FiOS, but I can also understand why he withholds the HD feed.

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:02 PM
gluvhand

The fact that Cablevision effectively owns MSG is the problem for Dolan. Being a producer AND provider of content got him in his mess. If Cablevision didn't own MSG on paper they could've just signed an exclusivity deal and there wouldn't have been a thing anybody could do about it. There are fair competition laws in place to avoid this kind of thing and that's where Dolans problem lies. Just how I see it.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:18 PM
BrutuS

We switched to FIOS over the summer. And of course the CSR was truthful when he told me that MSG HD would be available 'by the end of the year'.

I keep telling myself that I'm not suffering watching hockey not in HD. At least it's better than the Slingbox stream I've used over the past few years when I was out in California.

It's not THAT bad watching it in standard definition. AND it's a hell of a lot better overall than Cablevision.

BrutuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:23 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

This is my first Ranger season with FiOS... Previously on Cablevision for the past 3 years... I'm getting acclimated to no-HD but it sure would be nice to have the Rangers in HD again.

Pricing aside, I like Verizon's service better than Cablevisions which IMHO, is lacking.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:27 PM
bkNYR12

You get used to the SD feed. The other option available in the area (TWC) does not have NHL network which is a huge minus. I would rather deal with MSG SD with NHL network over MSG HD and no NHL Network. I love having the bonus live games and WJC coverage.

bkNYR12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:35 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

The FiOS boxes do a nice job upscaling the SD feed to your flat panel TV screens... I just miss the clarify of HD and the widescreen view of the ice surface.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:41 PM
blue2noise

DirecTV FTW

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:52 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
The FiOS boxes do a nice job upscaling the SD feed to your flat panel TV screens... I just miss the clarify of HD and the widescreen view of the ice surface.
Is there a method of doing this cause I feel that SD doesn't look so great on fios

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 01:32 PM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strauss View Post
Look, I want FiOS + MSG HD as bad as everyone else on these board, but I do not understand why people are so surprised as to why Dolan withholds the HD feed. Should he give up one of his few bargaining chips to the competitor? Its not as if Verizon is innocent from playing hard ball while at the same time pissing off potential consumers, and this is coming from someone who holds a good amount of stock in the company. What I am trying to say is it astonishes me that people have trouble seeing why Dolan "won't just give it up" or "let justice prevail."

It benefits me in two major ways, if MSG HD is on FiOS, but I can also understand why he withholds the HD feed.
Why does it surprise you that people are sick to death of corporate maneuvering that in no way benefits the people who pay for the service?

It's especially hypocritical for Dolan to withhold because every time he goes on a radio show it's to complain about how the NFL withholds their package from cable and how angry he is about it.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 01:34 PM
bettercallstaal
Stepan Stepan Stepan

They don't. It's the only reason why I say no everytime they call asking to switch from Comcast (daily basis... it's rather annoying.)

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote