HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Why did Nolan and Flynn not stick?

Old
01-16-2011, 12:14 AM
76ftw

vCash: 50
Why did Nolan and Flynn not stick?

Ted Nolan led the Islanders to the playoffs as their coach, something they have not even come close to since, why was he let go? I can't believe I don't remember seeing as it was only a few years ago haha. I know the team was bad in 08, but not bad enough to warrant his firing imo.

I am from Moncton and remember following the Isles closely that year due to the fact that Nolan, Flynn and Lacroix were Moncton's coaches the year before in the Quebec league, and Flynn is currently their head coach now (best coach in the QMJHL, by far if I do say so myself haha).

76ftw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 12:16 AM
malPHONEY

vCash: 500
It was said that he wouldn't play the kids enough. Honestly, that's a crock of B.S. The roster was competitve and filled with veterans at this point. What kids were there to play? Okposo and Comeau got their opportunities.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 01:11 AM
Groin Of Bates

2 things (for Nolan):

1) DiPietro

2) Nolan wanted to win. Snow wanted to rebuild (aka Wang wanted to save).

Instant clash. Bye Ted.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 01:15 AM
hgo

Flynn left after one season, by the way. Nolan wasn't as effective without him. It was a little like Brian Clough without Peter Taylor. (OK, probably not that severe, but you get the idea.)

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:02 AM
76ftw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzo View Post
Flynn left after one season, by the way. Nolan wasn't as effective without him. It was a little like Brian Clough without Peter Taylor. (OK, probably not that severe, but you get the idea.)

haha being a Wildcats fan I probably should have known that...

Thanks for the answers, fellas. It seems Nolan's, I wouldn't call it stubbornness, more than I would call it, I guess, want to do things his way, has gotten in the way of his NHL success twice. You gotta feel for him.

Quote:
1) DiPietro
Like how it was with Hasek? RD didn't see eye to eye with him? If that is the case that is stupid, at least Hasek was, you know, the best goalie int he world, DiPietro on the other than, I think you can agree;

76ftw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:32 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
haha being a Wildcats fan I probably should have known that...

Thanks for the answers, fellas. It seems Nolan's, I wouldn't call it stubbornness, more than I would call it, I guess, want to do things his way, has gotten in the way of his NHL success twice. You gotta feel for him.

Like how it was with Hasek? RD didn't see eye to eye with him? If that is the case that is stupid, at least Hasek was, you know, the best goalie int he world, DiPietro on the other than, I think you can agree;
Oh man,we're gonna open this whole can of worms again?

Ok.

1.After being rejected by Ryan Smith and a few other top ufas,Snow and Wang decided they were gonna rebuild with homegrown youngsters.Nolan was very slow to embrace this youth movement idea and it led to Wang questioning whether the reluctant Nolan, was the right choice for his youth movement.I think there was 1 yr left on Nolan's deal at this point.

2.Nolan was reportedly trying to publicly distance himself from the losing in his last yr.IHe was basically telling people that he could only work with what he was given.Imo,while this is true,it probably isn't what a gm/owner want to hear about their head coach.

3.A vet player(no he wasn't identified as DiPietro),told how he went to Nolan about the state of the team/playing time and was told that Wang was calling the shots.The player asked to meet witn Nolan and Wang.At that meeting,Nolan denied making the statement.The player said he lost all respect for Nolan.

Have Snow and Wang made mistakes as gm and owner? Yes.But Nolan made his own share of blunders,which led to Wang's decision not to offer him a contract extension.

Last edited by CREW99AW: 01-16-2011 at 07:39 AM.
CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:33 AM
E_Godard

I remember it a bit differently. Something along the lines of ted saying his plan was to field his best players which at that point were vets. Snow disagreed and wanted the kids played more and that essentially turned to his layoff.

I wish he was still here. He was a great coach.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:37 AM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Oh man,we're gonna open this whole can of worms again?

Ok.

1.After being rejected by Ryan Smith and a few other top ufas,Snow and Wang decided they were gonna rebuild with homegrown youngsters.Nolan was very slow to embrace this youth movement idea and it led to Wang questioning whether the reluctant Nolan, was the right choice for his youth movement.I think there was 1 yr left on Nolan's deal at this point.

2.Nolan was reportedly trying to publicly distance himself from the losing in his last yr.IHe was basically telling people that he could only work with what he was given.Imo,while this is true,it probably isn't what a gm/owner want to hear about their head coach.

3.A vet player(no he wasn't identified as DiPietro),told how he went to Nolan about the state of the team/playing time and was told that Wang was calling the shots.The player asked to meet witn Nolan and Wang.At that meeting,Nolan denied making the statement.The player said he lost all respect for Nolan.

Have Snow and Wang made mistakes as gm and owner? Yes.But Nolan made his own share of blunders,which led to Wang's decision not to offer him a contract extension.
On my cell so only commenting on your last statement. Nolan still had time left on his contract and was sent walking. Snow wouldn't even release him from his contract so he could pursue other work. So not sure what you're talking about.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:16 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
On my cell so only commenting on your last statement. Nolan still had time left on his contract and was sent walking. Snow wouldn't even release him from his contract so he could pursue other work. So not sure what you're talking about.

I forgot he had 1 yr left on his deal.
I don't ever remember reading that the isles wouldn't let Nolan pursue other work after he left the organization.What other teams expressed interest in him?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/...landers_nolan/

Nolan and Snow disagreed over the reasons for the disappointing record. Snow said he believed the team was underachieving and had the makeup to be a playoff team again. Nolan felt he didn't have the necessary personnel to win and took a clear shot at Snow when he said in February, "We don't have natural 50-goal scorers. We have guys who work for everything they get. That's the way we play.""We disagreed on that," Snow said Monday. "I thought Bill Guerin and Miro Satan were pretty good goal-scorers. That's all water under the bridge. It doesn't do anyone any good now to comment about it, but last summer Ted was in on the process of bringing in free agents.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:30 AM
OlTimeHockey

"It doesn't do anyone any good now to comment about it, but last summer Ted was in on the process of bringing in free agents."

Snow essentially deflecting blame on Nolan.....Nolan couldn't get better free agents for him. Yep. Good GM, Garf Garf, good GM. *woof*

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
"It doesn't do anyone any good now to comment about it, but last summer Ted was in on the process of bringing in free agents."

Snow essentially deflecting blame on Nolan.....Nolan couldn't get better free agents for him. Yep. Good GM, Garf Garf, good GM. *woof*
Ya the coach is in full and complete charge in bringing in UFAs. the GM is just along for the ride

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:55 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Ya the coach is in full and complete charge in bringing in UFAs. the GM is just along for the ride
I wonder what Flounder gets us this summer.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 01:41 PM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
"We disagreed on that," Snow said Monday. "I thought Bill Guerin and Miro Satan were pretty good goal-scorers.
They were, five or six years earlier

01-16-2011, 01:54 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles View Post
They were, five or six years earlier
haha, lol. Kind of matches his comment in today's paper on how he thought "our defense is one of the best in the conference and that they never got to see the team they envisioned play because of the injuries. The scary part of those comments is that he really thinks THIS team without injuries could have made the playoffs. LOLLOLOLOLOLOL.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:33 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
haha, lol. Kind of matches his comment in today's paper on how he thought "our defense is one of the best in the conference and that they never got to see the team they envisioned play because of the injuries. The scary part of those comments is that he really thinks THIS team without injuries could have made the playoffs. LOLLOLOLOLOLOL.
This team without injuries could have made the playoffs. We've lost a lot of close games this year. It's silly to think that a lineup that included KO and Streit wouldn't have helped turn some of those around (and added a higher level of consistency.) Of course, we weren't going to be doing anything other than fighting for that last spot.

If we actually added some legitimate offensive weapons, and were healthy, perhaps we could have raised our expectations. Would have, could have, should have.

The GM is responsible for putting the team on the ice that has the greatest chance of success. Snow and Wang have failed to put the best team on the ice that would be possible.

If this team finds any success, it will be because the players willed it (not the GM and Owner.)

OK, sorry I derailed the thread a little bit. Carry on.

Semi-on-topic, I actually think Capuano is a better game coach than Gordon in what little I've seen of Cap'n Jack. Nolan never impressed me behind the bench. I think Gordon's skills are best when it comes to preparation and review. I think Nolan found ways to motivate players on an individual basis.

I think the art of manning the ship behind the bench wasn't a strong point of Gordon or Nolan. The fact that I think Capuano is a better in-game coach probably says something (especially considering the small sample size that I'm dealing with.)

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
This team without injuries could have made the playoffs. We've lost a lot of close games this year. It's silly to think that a lineup that included KO and Streit wouldn't have helped turn some of those around (and added a higher level of consistency.) Of course, we weren't going to be doing anything other than fighting for that last spot.

If we actually added some legitimate offensive weapons, and were healthy, perhaps we could have raised our expectations. Would have, could have, should have.

The GM is responsible for putting the team on the ice that has the greatest chance of success. Snow and Wang have failed to put the best team on the ice that would be possible.

If this team finds any success, it will be because the players willed it (not the GM and Owner.)

OK, sorry I derailed the thread a little bit. Carry on.

Semi-on-topic, I actually think Capuano is a better game coach than Gordon in what little I've seen of Cap'n Jack. Nolan never impressed me behind the bench. I think Gordon's skills are best when it comes to preparation and review. I think Nolan found ways to motivate players on an individual basis.

I think the art of manning the ship behind the bench wasn't a strong point of Gordon or Nolan. The fact that I think Capuano is a better in-game coach probably says something (especially considering the small sample size that I'm dealing with.)

Mitch
Too much would of had to go right this season for this team to make the playoffs.

1. No injuries- At least half of the teams in the league suffer 1 devastating injury, the good teams with depth can play through bad teams like us and the Oilers will sink. Look at the long term IR around the league Getzlaf, Spezza, Roy, Datsyuk, Stewart, Markov, Oshie, Perron and I am sure I am missing some.

2. DP playing like he did before the injuries

3. One of the young guys breaking out in a big way. JT, Nielson, and Comeau have made strides and have been looking better but they are not gamebreakers yet.

4. Snow/Wang actually adding payroll to get a veteran offensive threat

Old
01-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Isles Drive 4 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Too much would of had to go right this season for this team to make the playoffs.

1. No injuries- At least half of the teams in the league suffer 1 devastating injury, the good teams with depth can play through bad teams like us and the Oilers will sink. Look at the long term IR around the league Getzlaf, Spezza, Roy, Datsyuk, Stewart, Markov, Oshie, Perron and I am sure I am missing some.

2. DP playing like he did before the injuries

3. One of the young guys breaking out in a big way. JT, Nielson, and Comeau have made strides and have been looking better but they are not gamebreakers yet.

4. Snow/Wang actually adding payroll to get a veteran offensive threat
those teams with depth that u mentioned didn't have Mike Milbury setting them back at least 10 years with his genius moves ..just sayin..and to rebuild a team strictly thru free agency is very expensive and doesn't guarantee any thing..just ask the rangers...yagr, bure gretsky,gaborik etc..in the past 10 years they won as many cups as we did..our core /farm was desimated by milbury, we had no depth and when wang did get osgood,peca, smythe (sp) we still barley made the playoffs only to be knocked in the first round..while mind you he's financially losing his shirt with empty promises from the politicians on a LHP that would help all people involved

Isles Drive 4 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 06:52 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Drive 4 5 View Post
those teams with depth that u mentioned didn't have Mike Milbury setting them back at least 10 years with his genius moves ..just sayin..and to rebuild a team strictly thru free agency is very expensive and doesn't guarantee any thing..just ask the rangers...yagr, bure gretsky,gaborik etc..in the past 10 years they won as many cups as we did..our core /farm was desimated by milbury, we had no depth and when wang did get osgood,peca, smythe (sp) we still barley made the playoffs only to be knocked in the first round..while mind you he's financially losing his shirt with empty promises from the politicians on a LHP that would help all people involved
I was saying that injuries happen to all teams. Top players get hurt all around the league. The good teams with depth can overcome the injuries the bad teams like us can not. Even with a 100% healthy lineup for a full season this team would be lucky to sniff the 8th seed and we would probably finish 11. How many teams have a lineup with guys like Gillies, JJ, and Collinton taking a shift every night?

Enough with the Milbury BS excuses, he has been gone for 4 years. The Milbury excuse is over, we all know he was a terrible GM but it was 4 years ago. Did Milbury stop Snow from bringing in cheap vets like Belanger, Morrison, Torres, etc... Snow honestly thought this was a playoff team and said anything but the playoffs is a failure. Milbury was a failure 4 years ago. Snow IS a failure today.