Notices

Iginla for..

Old
01-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Iginla for..

Just a peaceful curious Habs fan here.
I've always been a fan of Iginla, and with your team's struggles this year, if they were to continue, with a new GM and possibly a revamp/rebuild attitude, what would you guys think Iginla would cost the Habs??..

A lot of Habs fans feel we'd need to overpay, I see nothing different than any other deadline trade where overpayment is a requirement.

So, out of curiosity, what could the Habs package your way??..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:38 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

There's no interest on my part to see Iginla traded. There are other core players here that could be moved if the Flames decide that is the route they need to take.

I'd say the only proposal that could even have me think about possibly moving Iginla would have to be one centered around Toronto's 1st or Brayden Schenn.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Lunatik*

The more I think about it, the less I think the Flames and Habs would be good trading partners for Iginla... not unless the Habs are willing to give up an even larger piece of their future than has been previously discussed...

In other threads I have suggested this package for Iginla

- Lars Eller
- 1st in 2011 or 2012 (Flames Choice, can be invoked up until Montreal's pick comes up in 2011)
- 3rd in 2011
- Salary Dumps... up to $6,500,000 this year and $4,000,000 in 2011/12 (included Estimated RFA contracts)

but the more I think about it the more I think we need a prospect with more potential than Eller... nothing against Eller as he is a very good prospect... but Eller isn't even as highly regarded as Backlund... or if Eller is involved then another very good prospect...

I am leaning more towards this kind of deal now...

- Lars Eller
- Louis Leblanc/Yannick Weber
- 1st in 2011
- Conditional 1st in 2013 (If Habs reach finals, 3rd if they don't)
- Salary Dump (Spacek?)

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:43 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 410
Hint: The answer is not Iginla for Kostitsyn.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
The more I think about it, the less I think the Flames and Habs would be good trading partners for Iginla... not unless the Habs are willing to give up an even larger piece of their future than has been previously discussed...

- Lars Eller
- 1st in 2011 or 2012 (Flames Choice, can be invoked up until Montreal's pick comes up in 2011)
- 3rd in 2011
- Salary Dumps... up to $6,500,000 this year and $4,000,000 in 2011/12 (included Estimated RFA contracts)

but the more I think about it the more I think we need a prospect with more potential than Eller... nothing against Eller as he is a very good prospect... but Eller isn't even as highly regarded as Backlund... or if Eller is involved then another very good prospect...

- Lars Eller
- 1st in 2011
- Salary Dump (Spacek?)
If it's Leblanc and we end up reaching the finals, it would mean you guys traded Iginla for four 1st round picks. Crosby is about the only guy I'd be willing to give up that much for, and even then, I'd hesitate.

Iginla is 33, his production has dropped over the past 3years. He only has 2 extra years remaining in his contract.

I really don't see how a 33yo player that has put up 69pts last year and is on pace for a little over 70 this year is worth 4 first rounders (or even 3 for that matter) + a veteran Dman.

If I were CGY I would jump on that deal right away. As a Habs though, I'd feel ripped off quite a bit.

Old
01-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by C For Choke View Post
Hint: The answer is not Iginla for Kostitsyn.
Of course not. Although AK would have to be included from our side.

Old
01-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Of course not. Although AK would have to be included from our side.
then we would look at other offers from other teams... AK is the last player you want in a rebuild.... I'd rather take Spacek than that piece of crap

Old
01-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
If it's Leblanc and we end up reaching the finals, it would mean you guys traded Iginla for four 1st round picks. Crosby is about the only guy I'd be willing to give up that much for, and even then, I'd hesitate.

Iginla is 33, his production has dropped over the past 3years. He only has 2 extra years remaining in his contract.

I really don't see how a 33yo player that has put up 69pts last year and is on pace for a little over 70 this year is worth 4 first rounders (or even 3 for that matter) + a veteran Dman.

If I were CGY I would jump on that deal right away. As a Habs though, I'd feel ripped off quite a bit.
thats ok... I just don't believe Eller will be good enough to make it worth while

Old
01-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
then we would look at other offers from other teams... AK is the last player you want in a rebuild.... I'd rather take Spacek than that piece of crap
I didn't say AK would be the most important piece coming your way, that's obviously never going to happen. Feaster is not an idiot.
But you did mention a salary dump, I'd throw AK in there.

Quote:
thats ok... I just don't believe Eller will be good enough to make it worth while
After watching Eller so far this year, I'd have to disagree. There is no doubt in my mind he will become a solid top 6 player. I'm not too fond of the way Martin's been using him this season, as well as other players on our team, but there's no reason for me not to think he'll reach that top6 level.
Top line center potential?..I wouldn't go as far. Without a doubt a top 2 Center though.
I'm looking forward to seeing him play with two skilled top 6 wingers regularly. Only 21, with more muscles over the years, he will become very solid.

Old
01-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
I didn't say AK would be the most important piece coming your way, that's obviously never going to happen. Feaster is not an idiot.
But you did mention a salary dump, I'd throw AK in there.

After watching Eller so far this year, I'd have to disagree. There is no doubt in my mind he will become a solid top 6 player. I'm not too fond of the way Martin's been using him this season, as well as other players on our team, but there's no reason for me not to think he'll reach that top6 level.
Top line center potential?..I wouldn't go as far. Without a doubt a top 2 Center though.
I'm looking forward to seeing him play with two skilled top 6 wingers regularly. Only 21, with more muscles over the years, he will become very solid.
Like I said I would decline ANY offer with AK in it... he is not a player you want involved in a rebuild... we already have enough lazy streaky players without taking on yours as well

as for Eller... I see him as a #2 center in the future... I want a guy that has solid 1st line potential... we already have a bunch of #2 centers

Old
01-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
The thing with Iggy is, I think the majority of Flames fans would only be willing to trade him for a young, future franchise player (ie. Schenn). Eller, while he is good, has not really shown he is going to be that guy and we already have almost an identical version of him in Backlund.

Calgary is looking for more than just a 1st round pick if they move Iginla, they would be looking for their next face of the franchise. I believe that is why Lunatik is saying that the 2 teams would be poor trading partners because the Habs do not that guy in their system.

Giving up basically 4 x 1st round picks is too much from Montreal's stand point, and the Flames still would not be getting that bluechip prospect in the trade. It is unlikely the teams could make a deal.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
The thing with Iggy is, I think the majority of Flames fans would only be willing to trade him for a young, future franchise player (ie. Schenn). Eller, while he is good, has not really shown he is going to be that guy and we already have almost an identical version of him in Backlund.

Calgary is looking for more than just a 1st round pick if they move Iginla, they would be looking for their next face of the franchise. I believe that is why Lunatik is saying that the 2 teams would be poor trading partners because the Habs do not that guy in their system.

Giving up basically 4 x 1st round picks is too much from Montreal's stand point, and the Flames still would not be getting that bluechip prospect in the trade. It is unlikely the teams could make a deal.
Given the circumstances, the fact that Iggy will be 34 at the beginning of the next season, that his production has declined over the past three years, and that he only has 2 extra years on his contract, I'm not so convinced Iggy would bring such a huge return.

Old
01-16-2011, 07:15 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 100
Quote:
Given the circumstances, the fact that Iggy will be 34 at the beginning of the next season, that his production has declined over the past three years, and that he only has 2 extra years on his contract, I'm not so convinced Iggy would bring such a huge return.
Iggy is still good for 30-39 Goals and 70-82 pts on the flames, let alone a team with better support. His conditioning is top notch, and don't forget, Cammy had his best yr when he was put with Iggy, no doubt in my mind, if you put them together, both would be PPG players.

This is all without mentioning the intangibles and locker room presence Iginla brings.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Iggy is still good for 30-39 Goals and 70-82 pts on the flames, let alone a team with better support. His conditioning is top notch, and don't forget, Cammy had his best yr when he was put with Iggy, no doubt in my mind, if you put them together, both would be PPG players.

This is all without mentioning the intangibles and locker room presence Iginla brings.
Sure, he's still a great player for so many reasons, hence my interest. But a high end top line potential prospect + one or two 1st rounders and a salary dump of decent quality??...No way.

Old
01-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Iginla's production is actually up from last year and that is after having a horrendous start and while having Stajan and Jokinen as his centre. He is one of the best conditioned athletes in the NHL year after year, IMO he will still be productive until late in his 30's similar to Sakic.

What you and other fans and media need to realize is that the Flames do need to trade Iggy. It only makes sense to do so for the right offer, and I do not feel that Montreal has the assets to make that offer. I think the only teams that do have the right available assets are LA and Boston. And Iginla would fit in great on both of those teams.

I'm sure ATL would love Iginla as well (as would most teams). But again it is unlikely they have the right pieces to make a deal.

Old
01-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Iginla's production is actually up from last year and that is after having a horrendous start and while having Stajan and Jokinen as his centre. He is one of the best conditioned athletes in the NHL year after year, IMO he will still be productive until late in his 30's similar to Sakic.

What you and other fans and media need to realize is that the Flames do need to trade Iggy. It only makes sense to do so for the right offer, and I do not feel that Montreal has the assets to make that offer. I think the only teams that do have the right available assets are LA and Boston. And Iginla would fit in great on both of those teams.

I'm sure ATL would love Iginla as well (as would most teams). But again it is unlikely they have the right pieces to make a deal.
I know you guys are in no rush to trade Iggy, why would you honestly?..
I'm also aware that we might not have much that is of interest seeing as we are both teams with offensive issues. But, if a team enters a rebuild, stocking up on prospects and picks is always the goal. Even if a top end prospect might not be included, a few good ones + picks might work.
I was thinking along the lines of Leblanc+Kristo+AK+1st rounder as a possible package even if I feel it's giving up quite a lot for a 33yo player guaranteed for 2years only.
But from what I gathered, it doesn't seem like it would be anything interesting.

Old
01-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
I know you guys are in no rush to trade Iggy, why would you honestly?..
I'm also aware that we might not have much that is of interest seeing as we are both teams with offensive issues. But, if a team enters a rebuild, stocking up on prospects and picks is always the goal. Even if a top end prospect might not be included, a few good ones + picks might work.
I was thinking along the lines of Leblanc+Kristo+AK+1st rounder as a possible package even if I feel it's giving up quite a lot for a 33yo player guaranteed for 2years only.
But from what I gathered, it doesn't seem like it would be anything interesting.
The fact that Iginla is on contract for only 2 more years makes him all that much more attractive to other teams. It means he won't walk away at the end of this or next year. And it also means that he is not locked up to a horrible long term contract. So really you are getting the best of both worlds with his remaining term.

And your offer is far from horrible, I have seen alot worse proposals out there for Iggy. But there are other teams that could offer more, and if Calgary trades Iggy it will be for a TOP prospect and draft picks. I honestly think if he goes, that it will be to LA for Schenn +. It is the one deal that makes for the most sense for everyone.

Old
01-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Andy

I understand the importance of Iginla to the flames and the fact they would like to rebuild, but I think the closest comparison that could be made with a potential trading of Iginla is to look at the Kovalchuk deal. He was highly coveted and is much younger than Iginla. Although he was a UFA.

I think it would be reasonable to start thinking about the return could by looking at this trade. Also, Heatley is another comparable. His value probably declined because he asked for a trade, but still yeilded a top 6 winger and a declining one. Also it was reported Edmonton offered Cogliano and Penner if I'm not mistaken?

I think a deal of Eller+Andrei Kostitsyn+1st and maybe a b type prospect is a good starting point for discussions.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I understand the importance of Iginla to the flames and the fact they would like to rebuild, but I think the closest comparison that could be made with a potential trading of Iginla is to look at the Kovalchuk deal. He was highly coveted and is much younger than Iginla. Although he was a UFA.

I think it would be reasonable to start thinking about the return could by looking at this trade. Also, Heatley is another comparable. His value probably declined because he asked for a trade, but still yeilded a top 6 winger and a declining one. Also it was reported Edmonton offered Cogliano and Penner if I'm not mistaken?

I think a deal of Eller+Andrei Kostitsyn+1st and maybe a b type prospect is a good starting point for discussions.
The fact that Kovy was a upcoming UFA at the end of last season makes it a completely different scenerio. Because he could of walked away when the season finished has a huge impact on what a team would give up to aquire him.

Also, Heatly was viewed as somewhat of a locker room problem with a huge contract. He really handcuffed Murray's ability to make a fair deal for the Sens. Iginla's reputation, leadership qualities, past accomplishments and the fact he is still producing at a high level, dictates that his return would be a significant one.

Old
01-17-2011, 01:00 AM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
Quote:

- Lars Eller
- 3rd in 2011

- Lars Eller
- 1st in 2011
- Salary Dump (Spacek?)
To
Lars Eller
Louis Leblanc
1st 2011
1st 2013
Jaroslav Spacek

To
Jarome Iginla

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:04 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I don't.

Honestly, if we're moving the face of our franchise, we need an impact player back. After the public backlash in Calgary from the Phaneuf trade, I don't think Feaster will be looking to make the same mistake Sutter did when trading a core team member. Feaster will take his time on this and do it right.

Because of this, I don't see Montreal as being high on the list of teams I want to be talking to, if I'm the Calgary Flames. I also don't see Kostitsyn being high on Feaster's list. He's a guy I would have ZERO interest in bringing in. Montreal can keep him.

Los Angeles, Atlanta, possibly New York and Pittsburgh.... these are teams that can provide some quality players back in return. Brayden Schenn is obviously the most intriguing from Calgary's POV.

I firmly believe that a bidding war, even a small one, for Iginla's services will result in Calgary getting a very quality deal in return.

Ice Cream Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:05 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number Eight View Post
To
Lars Eller
Louis Leblanc
1st 2011
1st 2013
Jaroslav Spacek

To
Jarome Iginla

Value is probably fair, but I wouldn't do it. I'd look to a different team if I were Calgary. Schenn is infinitely more interesting to Calgary.

Ice Cream Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:58 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
god I hate this "production is declining' ********... the only people spouting it are completely unaware of the situations at hand...

in 2007/08 Iginla put up 50 goals & 98 points... a career season

in 2008/09 Iginla put up 35 goals & 89 points... is 9 points lower after a career year and changing your role on the team really a decline?... people forget Iginla was playing setup man for Cammalleri this season and that is why his goals dropped

in 2009/10 Iginla had 32 goals and 69 points... yeah the numbers are way down... but Iginla has been prone to 35g/70pt seasons in the past (02/03, 03/04 & 05/06 saw Iginla in that same range)... also consider they had changed from Keenan's run and gun style of offense to a smothering Sutter defense

in 2010/11 Iginla has 18 goals and 40 points... on pace for 33 goals and 72 points, slightly up from last year... and keep in mind this is after Iginla's first 15 games where he had a horrible 2g/8pts... so in the last 30 games Iginla has scored 16 goals and 32 points...

I also find it nothing short of hilarious when Habs fan tries calling Iginla a 'declining' player to somehow lower his value... when the reality is even if he was declining he would still be 1st on your team in Goals, Assists and Points...

in related news a Bruins fan offered the following deals for Iginla...

- 1st in 2011 (BOS)
- 2nd in 2011 (MIN)
- David Krejci
- Michael Ryder
- Joe Colborne

or...

- 1st in 2011 (TOR)
- 2nd in 2011 (MIN)
- Mark Stuart
- Michael Ryder
- Joe Colborne

so I countered with this... not that I would reject either of the deals offered... but you have to negotiate

- 1st in 2011 (TOR)
- David Krejci
- Michael Ryder
- Joe Colborne

Old
01-17-2011, 02:06 AM
Noori

vCash: 751
I'm confused. Your counter seems to land us less than the original offers.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:14 AM
BurnEmUp

Quote:
god I hate this "production is declining' ********... the only people spouting it are completely unaware of the situations at hand...

in 2007/08 Iginla put up 50 goals & 98 points... a career season

in 2008/09 Iginla put up 35 goals & 89 points... is 9 points lower after a career year and changing your role on the team really a decline?... people forget Iginla was playing setup man for Cammalleri this season and that is why his goals dropped

in 2009/10 Iginla had 32 goals and 69 points... yeah the numbers are way down... but Iginla has been prone to 35g/70pt seasons in the past (02/03, 03/04 & 05/06 saw Iginla in that same range)... also consider they had changed from Keenan's run and gun style of offense to a smothering Sutter defense

in 2010/11 Iginla has 18 goals and 40 points... on pace for 33 goals and 72 points, slightly up from last year... and keep in mind this is after Iginla's first 15 games where he had a horrible 2g/8pts... so in the last 30 games Iginla has scored 16 goals and 32 points...

I also find it nothing short of hilarious when Habs fan tries calling Iginla a 'declining' player to somehow lower his value... when the reality is even if he was declining he would still be 1st on your team in Goals, Assists and Points...

in related news a Bruins fan offered the following deals for Iginla...

- 1st in 2011 (BOS)
- 2nd in 2011 (MIN)
- David Krejci
- Michael Ryder
- Joe Colborne

or...

- 1st in 2011 (TOR)
- 2nd in 2011 (MIN)
- Mark Stuart
- Michael Ryder
- Joe Colborne

so I countered with this... not that I would reject either of the deals offered... but you have to negotiate

- 1st in 2011 (TOR)
- David Krejci
- Michael Ryder
- Joe Colborne

A-fricken-men with the Iginla spiel.

I'm getting to the point where I want to kick the next poster who says he's declining, right in the junk.

I'd take all three of the above proposals.......

I had one a while back somewhere, where I added Negrin and a 2nd with Iginla for...

Bos 1st
Krejci
Colborne
Ryder

....I figured Iggy was worth Krejci, Colborne and the 1st, and while Ryder is thrown in for cap reasons, he's still a quality player so we add what I think his value would be as a rental (2nd + prospect), and then try to flip him if there is time.

...but hell, if the B's fan is willing to give us all that without the 2nd and Negrin, I'd be more than happy to take it......TO's 1st is even better.

BurnEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote