HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Spezza to STL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2011, 03:48 PM
  #1
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8
 
heusy_79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,562
vCash: 500
Spezza to STL

I think the Sens and Blues make good trading partners, with the Blues needing a big piece to take a step forward and the Sens looking at a rebuild. I was thinking of a Spezza to STL deal something along these lines.

To STL:

Spezza (7.0)
Lee (.875)

To OTT:
Boyes (4.0)
Oshie (1.25, impending RFA)
Allen
Berglund (1.25)

St. Louis gets a very talented first line center who I think would flourish in a less intense media market. He's more than capable of producing at a point per game level and I could see him hitting those levels again playing with a slick playmaker like Perron and a net crasher with skill like Backes. Giving up Oshie would be tough for St. Louis fans but they would have a strong top 9 and plenty of grit to make up for his loss. They also still would have plenty of cap room to add to their roster.

Ottawa rids themselves of a 7 million dollar player who although talented, isn't living up to expectations or his contract. In return for Spezza they get a former 40 goal scorer in Boyes who has only had one strong season in the 3 since, but has the talent to break out again. They also receive a young, gritty player in Oshie who could replace a guy like Fisher if Ottawa decides to move him. In addition, they get Berglund, a talented young center who has yet to fufill his potential in three NHL seasons, and Jake Allen, who is a strong goaltender prospect made expendable by the acquisition of Halak. Ottawa also gets roughly a half million in cap space this off-season (most of which would go to Oshie) but could free up $4mil by letting Boyes walk next off-season.

heusy_79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:51 PM
  #2
Vujtek
Registered User
 
Vujtek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,272
vCash: 500
Spezza isn't worth that much.

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:54 PM
  #3
Nachoman AlfieSavage*
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eating nachos up top
Posts: 2,245
vCash: 500
Agree with the poster above me. Spezza isn't worth Oshie+Boyes, let alone throwing in Berglund and a prospect.

Nachoman AlfieSavage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:56 PM
  #4
Regina Pat
Didn't take Klimchuk
 
Regina Pat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The ODR
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,303
vCash: 500
I can't see the Blues dealing Oshie. Although St. Louis is an intriguing destination.

Regina Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:01 PM
  #5
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol
 
WalterSobchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,073
vCash: 500
but guys, the salaries even each other out in this deal...

:facepalm

Go with Boyes and prospects/picks and you have a better chance.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:03 PM
  #6
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Ian Cole
Jayden Schwartz
Salary dump/Expiring Contract

Is where I start from St. Louis' POV then go up from there, but then again, I'm cheap and I'm not a Spezza fan.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:04 PM
  #7
benjiv1
Registered User
 
benjiv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
Oshie is too much going to Ottawa, but the idea is there.

I would probably do Spezza+ for Berglund, Boyes and STL 1st under the right circumstances.

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:08 PM
  #8
The Grouch
Enraged
 
The Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
That proposal is laughable... I honestly don't think the Blues would be interested in Spezza, but if you're looking for a more realistic proposal...

Ottawa:

Jason Spezza


St. Louis:

Brad Boyes
Brett Sonne
1st in 2011(right now would be 11th overall)
3rd in 2012

I wouldn't offer anything more than this, it may already be too much. Spezza's current play combined with his contract is going to scare a number of teams away. I suspect Ottawa could get marginally more value at the trade deadline from a legitimate contender, but they would more than likely have to take back useless/unwanted salary.


Last edited by The Grouch: 01-16-2011 at 04:17 PM.
The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:10 PM
  #9
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!
 
Stealth JD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Safari Motor Motel
Country: United States
Posts: 6,196
vCash: 500
Jason Spezza (and his huge salary/cap hit along with the personnel cost it would take to acquire him) = DO NOT WANT

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:10 PM
  #10
Bluester
Registered User
 
Bluester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kansas City, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
I think the Sens and Blues make good trading partners, with the Blues needing a big piece to take a step forward and the Sens looking at a rebuild. I was thinking of a Spezza to STL deal something along these lines.

To STL:

Spezza (7.0)
Lee (.875)

To OTT:
Boyes (4.0)
Oshie (1.25, impending RFA)
Allen
Berglund (1.25)

St. Louis gets a very talented first line center who I think would flourish in a less intense media market. He's more than capable of producing at a point per game level and I could see him hitting those levels again playing with a slick playmaker like Perron and a net crasher with skill like Backes. Giving up Oshie would be tough for St. Louis fans but they would have a strong top 9 and plenty of grit to make up for his loss. They also still would have plenty of cap room to add to their roster.

Ottawa rids themselves of a 7 million dollar player who although talented, isn't living up to expectations or his contract. In return for Spezza they get a former 40 goal scorer in Boyes who has only had one strong season in the 3 since, but has the talent to break out again. They also receive a young, gritty player in Oshie who could replace a guy like Fisher if Ottawa decides to move him. In addition, they get Berglund, a talented young center who has yet to fufill his potential in three NHL seasons, and Jake Allen, who is a strong goaltender prospect made expendable by the acquisition of Halak. Ottawa also gets roughly a half million in cap space this off-season (most of which would go to Oshie) but could free up $4mil by letting Boyes walk next off-season.
For that reason alone you get nothing close to what you want. Oshie is untouchable because he is a fan favorite and the Blues can't take the PR hit.

I would do Boyes for Spezza straight up. Both under performing players. However Spezza has more upside but the worse of the 2 contract wise.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:16 PM
  #11
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?
 
wubwubwubwub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluester View Post
For that reason alone you get nothing close to what you want. Oshie is untouchable because he is a fan favorite and the Blues can't take the PR hit.

I would do Boyes for Spezza straight up. Both under performing players. However Spezza has more upside but the worse of the 2 contract wise.
Awful. At his worst, Spezza has proven to be a 70-80 pt center and he was one of our best defensive players for the past years

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:19 PM
  #12
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!
 
Highbrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Ian Cole
Jayden Schwartz
Salary dump/Expiring Contract

Is where I start from St. Louis' POV then go up from there, but then again, I'm cheap and I'm not a Spezza fan.
God awful proposal.

Highbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:20 PM
  #13
wilfred
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Bunswick
Posts: 1,298
vCash: 500
If Spezza is getting traded to St.Louis Berglund is a must coming back.

wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:20 PM
  #14
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!
 
Highbrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,685
vCash: 500
I'd like something around Berglund. Not Oshie for the sheer fact that STL won't trade him. But Berglund + 1st + something salary would be a good core IMO.

Highbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:26 PM
  #15
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,817
vCash: 500
As a Blues fan, just say no to Spezza unless it is for...at the max

Boyes
1st this year
Wannstrom

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:27 PM
  #16
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,817
vCash: 500
EDIT: Double post for some reason.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:34 PM
  #17
HooliganX2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,248
vCash: 500
Spezza is a good player but underperforming and has a huge contract. The Blues are not willing to give up enough to get Spezza.

The Sens wont currently get what they would want for Spezza. The Blues wont gut their organization they spent rebuilding just to be in a similar spot the Sens are in now by trading young talent for Spezza.

There is not trade to be made that both teams would be happy with.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:38 PM
  #18
White Goodman
smell that fitness?
 
White Goodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: England
Posts: 6,643
vCash: 50
Do not want Boyes.

Berglund ++ better be coming back.

White Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:38 PM
  #19
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Ian Cole
Jayden Schwartz
Salary dump/Expiring Contract

Is where I start from St. Louis' POV then go up from there, but then again, I'm cheap and I'm not a Spezza fan.
Jaden Schwartz would probably be the guy Ottawa demands in a deal like this. From what I gather this is a guy we had rated pretty high last year.

But like I keep saying no future 1st line C prospect and likely no Spezza trade.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:10 PM
  #20
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilencerX View Post
Do not want Boyes.

Berglund ++ better be coming back.
Do not want Spezza unless Boyes is going the other way.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:18 PM
  #21
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8
 
heusy_79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,562
vCash: 500
Knew the Oshie thing would happen. How would Blues/Sens fans feel about the following two packages for Spezza:

1) Boyes, Berglund, Allen, 2nd

2) Boyes, Berglund, Tarasenko

heusy_79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:19 PM
  #22
SoulPatch
Registered User
 
SoulPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,902
vCash: 500
Why does Ottawa want to rid themselves from Spezza again? Our pitiful offense is drastically worse without him. If we're going to rebuild, we can do it with this underrated center.

We clear a boatload in capspace next season. His $7mil does not hurt us, and we'll never get good value for him (on these boards anyway).

SoulPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:19 PM
  #23
JackBauer
Registered User
 
JackBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ont.
Posts: 2,399
vCash: 500
Berglund
Sonne
1st
Jackman

for
Spezza
Lee

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:20 PM
  #24
HooliganX2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Knew the Oshie thing would happen. How would Blues/Sens fans feel about the following two packages for Spezza:

1) Boyes, Berglund, Allen, 2nd

2) Boyes, Berglund, Tarasenko
No we DO NOT WANT SPEZZA.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:23 PM
  #25
Bluester
Registered User
 
Bluester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kansas City, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Awful. At his worst, Spezza has proven to be a 70-80 pt center and he was one of our best defensive players for the past years
He's been a negative player for the past 2 years. Boyes is currently outperforming Spezza. Also like someone mentioned above he isn't living up to his contract and 7M isn't chump change. Same production from Boyes at 4.5M. Also Spezza seems to be a bit injury prone. Has played in all 82 game only once in his career.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.