HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Spezza to CLB

Old
01-18-2011, 02:47 PM
blahblah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I take a moment to call for reinforcements so together we can pull people out of both buildings.
So lee is #3...

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
I take a moment to call for reinforcements so together we can pull people out of both buildings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Four Seven View Post
I call the fire department because GOOD GOD WHY HASN'T SOMEBODY DONE THAT YET!?
Both of the above, then start on #2 and delegate #1 to others. Because in the real world, options and circumstances are never that limited, no matter how much we may want them to be. It's like the old joke of all physics quizzes that talk about frictionless, massless objects - just ignore some of these other rules and then you can answer the question!

A forest isn't just a bunch of trees either.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:52 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Both of the above, then start on #2 and delegate #1 to others. Because in the real world, options and circumstances are never that limited, no matter how much we may want them to be.

So you are a #3. I'm really beginning to understand the Howson support now. And have emergency and military people explain triage to you.

However, it was a personality test. They are always limited.

Old
01-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

So you are a #3. I'm really beginning to understand the Howson support now. And have emergency and military people explain triage to you.

However, it was a personality test. They are always limited.
Breaking out of arbitrary limits is the fundamental basis for creativity.

Old
01-18-2011, 03:45 PM
CapnCornelius

I just had flashbacks to the LSAT many moons ago...

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 04:05 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Breaking out of arbitrary limits is the fundamental basis for creativity.
It's not a test of creativity. You can be creative in all of the categories. GM'ing and Spezza isn't an emergency and not a case where you would have arbitrary limits.

And for the record, in certain emergency situations limits will be placed on you and they won't be arbitrary. I hope you are prepared in case you are ever in one.

You are trying to be clever, but in reality you are revealing your tendencies just like everyone else. You like to think of yourself as an outside-of-the-box thinker. This conversation reveals that you probably aren't as much of one as you would like to think.

Old
01-18-2011, 04:06 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I just had flashbacks to the LSAT many moons ago...
Not good.

Old
01-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
It's not a test of creativity. You can be creative in all of the categories. GM'ing and Spezza isn't an emergency and not a case where you would have arbitrary limits.

And for the record, in certain emergency situations limits will be placed on you and they won't be arbitrary. I hope you are prepared in case you are ever in one.

You are trying to be clever, but in reality you are revealing your tendencies just like everyone else. You like to think of yourself as an outside-of-the-box thinker. This conversation reveals that you probably aren't as much of one as you would like to think.
I'm certainly not as much of one as I aspire to be, but we were taking about thought exercises. Theory and practice are different.

I just have a tendency to twitch whenever folks quote numbers like that and declare them to be set. I've had supposed absolutes pulled out from under me so many times that I find them inherently untrustworthy.

Old
01-18-2011, 05:02 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
So lee is #3...
No. I'm the one who doesn't accept standard answer A and standard answer B as my only options. For example, we keep going around in circles here asking who in the NHL can we get and would solve our problems. Have we tried looking OUTSIDE the NHL? Euro leagues, KHL, etc. Are there any elite centers or defensemen in Germany for example?

If Howson doesn't make a move soon, say hello to your new general manager... Ken Hitchcock!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:01 PM
FANonymous

Where's option 5: Let them all burn?

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:08 PM
blahblah

Quote:
No. I'm the one who doesn't accept standard answer A and standard answer B as my only options. For example, we keep going around in circles here asking who in the NHL can we get and would solve our problems. Have we tried looking OUTSIDE the NHL? Euro leagues, KHL, etc. Are there any elite centers or defensemen in Germany for example?

If Howson doesn't make a move soon, say hello to your new general manager... Ken Hitchcock!
Those questions are meant to be restrictive. Whether you choose to answer it or not (or like it), you'll have a tendency to be in one of the groups the vast majority of the time.

But yes, Howson has looked outside the NHL. I know of one Euro player, specifically, they tried to sign a year or two ago.

Old
01-18-2011, 06:21 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:

Scouting a place like Germany, for example, is difficult given the scarcity of resources. I've often wondered why teams don't invest a few thousand dollars more on extra scouts, but clearly someone has done a cost-benefit analysis and determined it makes more sense to stick with the traditional markets.

I'm sure we do scout the KHL, SEL and probably the Finnish league. Outside of those? Not sure.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

I wonder if they lean on ex players like Knutsen and Vyborny to name few, to give them a heads up.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 07:27 PM
umbyforpresident

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Scouting a place like Germany, for example, is difficult given the scarcity of resources. I've often wondered why teams don't invest a few thousand dollars more on extra scouts, but clearly someone has done a cost-benefit analysis and determined it makes more sense to stick with the traditional markets.

I'm sure we do scout the KHL, SEL and probably the Finnish league. Outside of those? Not sure.
I imagine we rely on the WJC for the rest of Europe. It happens in high school sports. Colleges rely as much on stats and all-star games as they can. Soccer is usually all about club rather than HS because you can watch one game and watch 13 players instead of just one in a HS game.

umbyforpresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 07:29 PM
umbyforpresident

Quote:
Those questions are meant to be restrictive. Whether you choose to answer it or not (or like it), you'll have a tendency to be in one of the groups the vast majority of the time.

But yes, Howson has looked outside the NHL. I know of one Euro player, specifically, they tried to sign a year or two ago.
Wasn't Wesslau (sp) a pull straight out of the SEL?

umbyforpresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:13 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
That's why I've always sucked at those kinds of test questions, but it's served me well in real life.

Old
01-18-2011, 10:16 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

One of the best moves GMSH has made was trading the 19th pick and a third rounder for RJ Umberger. The third rounder, if picked by us, would be making pizzas somewhere right now and the first round would still be toiling in the minors or randomly playing on the 4th line.

More please! Trade picks for real NHL players.

Old
01-18-2011, 10:19 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbyforpresident View Post
Wasn't Wesslau (sp) a pull straight out of the SEL?
You're right. Now let's go get a defenseman! Gotta figure if they can defend well on that big ice, they stand a chance of being successful in North America.