Notices

New England Patriots/NFL Official 2010 Thread : Part 3

Old
02-06-2011, 09:21 PM
FutureConsiderations

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
That's the thing though, he's really not a great HC. 17 seasons, 6 trips to the playoffs, 5-6 in the playoffs, no championships. 6 losing seasons, 5 8-8 seasons. FIVE. Career record of 142-120. he's not a bad coach and I do like the guy, but he's not great either. I think he lasted in Tenn so long because its a small market by NFL standards and frankly did enough to keep his job on a yearly basis. Yes the players on the field and the talent level has something to do with it, but a good coach is just as important, I mean look what BB did with the 2001 Pats squad. 11-5 and a SB upset with a cast of mid-level talent and a rookie QB who at the time was 4th on the depth chart (obviously hd the skills, but still you get my point). THAT is a good coach.

He'll definitely get another HC gig no doubt, but I don't think he's a great coach by any means.
As in-game head coaches go, he's one of the better ones. Bud Adams is a meddling, cheap owner, so you have to keep that in mind when evaluating what Fisher has done. Who knows what this team would have looked like with another QB, but I have a tough time imagining they would have done any worse than they did with Young.

I'm glad the Packers won, and I think the NFL is as well. Entertaining game, plenty of momentum changes - overall a pretty good Super Bowl.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:23 PM
LucicTrain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
The Patriots would've been favored by at least ten points against either of these teams, and rightfully so.
yeee... no. 10+ point favorite in a SB is crazy.

LucicTrain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:23 PM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Hopefully, this will put to rest all of the "Roethlisberger is as good as Brady" talk...

QB rating of 77.4 is not dismal, but I did not think he looked very good tonight and the difference was Rodgers (not Sanchez) was the opposing QB.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:26 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Hopefully, this will put to rest all of the "Roethlisberger is as good as Brady" talk...

QB rating of 77.4 is not dismal, but I did not think he looked very good tonight and the difference was Rodgers (not Sanchez) was the opposing QB.
It's only going to feed the same talk about Rodgers, though. At least that has merit. So often the media overreacts an anoints the Super Bowl winning QB as the best in the game (see: Brees, Drew) but with A-Rodg, I think it has merit.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:28 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
The Patriots would've been favored by at least ten points against either of these teams, and rightfully so.
And it would have made your pouting when they lost even better.

GarbageGoal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Arthur*
U MAD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
And it would have made your pouting when they lost even better.
Do you have this thread bookmarked so you can troll every time I make a post?

Arthur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:32 PM
LucicTrain*

no one is the same conversation as Brady, expect for Montana. only two QBs with multiple SB Rings, MVPs and SB MVPs. no one will ever be in the same conversation as him until they rack up that hardware

LucicTrain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:32 PM
KillerKampfer*

Fisher is a good coach.

What more do you expect from someone coaching so long without one of the leagues elite QB's. Won with McNair and VY and the guys inbetween. I think they are going to struggle badly and be a >5 win team despite the good D and Johnson next season. I think Jax, Indy, and Houston should beat them twice.

He bridged the gap for a long time between having (one of) the best running backs in the NFL in Eddie George and CJ. From when George went downhill (year after SuperBowl or being on Madden it was a long time ago) to CJ's emergence is a very long period of time to keep a running oriented NFL team winning.

KillerKampfer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Mr Cartmenez

Thank god Rapelisberger didn't achieve his 3rd Ring, I don't want him in the same class as Brady.

But I am really happy for the Packers, they've come a long way. Made the playoffs in the last week of the season, won in Philly (strong team), won in Atlanta and won against their big rivals in Chicago...and finally in the SB against a great team with history of winning. You've gotta admit, that's one hell of a way. Probably can't do it twice...

Mr Cartmenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Arthur*
U MAD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STURMnRYDA2PROV View Post
Fisher is a good coach.

What more do you expect from someone coaching so long without one of the leagues elite QB's. Won with McNair and VY and the guys inbetween. I think they are going to struggle badly and be a >5 win team despite the good D and Johnson next season. I think Jax, Indy, and Houston should beat them twice.

He bridged the gap for a long time between having (one of) the best running backs in the NFL in Eddie George and CJ. From when George went downhill (year after SuperBowl or being on Madden it was a long time ago) to CJ's emergence is a very long period of time to keep a running oriented NFL team winning.
Drafting Vince Young was the worst thing that franchise ever did. He's a total moron and can't throw to save his life.

Old
02-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Shaun
beauty

congrats to the Packers

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:43 PM
KillerKampfer*

Quote:

He is not better. If hes a top 5 NFL QB its on intangibles and the team around him not Big Ben's actual ability. But he is tougher than Brady and the leagues best.

I wont say Bens a better leader but QB's are all about thier egos and the established guys have chinks in their armour football related unlike Big Ben when his embarrasing moments are off the field.

Drew Henson punked our golden boy his senior year at Michigan.

Rodgers had to sit in the backroom of the NFL Draft for hours and actually benefitted from not playing for a few years he went to freakin Cal and still no 49ers fans complain about not drafting him (they will now kinda late though).

Tennessee won the National Championship the year after Peyton left with Tee Martin.

Brees was told to screw in favor of Rivers.

Ben is like a Bledsoe who can run. And hes on a good team. Keep those thing about the truly elite guys as well as Cutler's situation and your going to have a hard time coming up with guys better than him.

Old
02-06-2011, 09:43 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Do you have this thread bookmarked so you can troll every time I make a post?
Why would I have to? It's at the top of the forum right now.

But I'm kinda honored you just called me a troll.

I mean really, you just bashed Colts fans a few posts ago but you sound like one harping about a 14-2 season that ended with a first game playoff exit talking about how if your team were in the Super Bowl, you'd be clearly the dominant team. I mean, you see teh funny there, no?

Old
02-06-2011, 09:45 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

That last drive by Pittsburgh was ugly. They totally looked like they were on eight different kinds of pages.

Very pleased for Green Bay. Predicted they'd make the Super Bowl before the season started (along with Baltimore) and I guess I should have gone to Vegas and put some money down then.

Old
02-06-2011, 09:46 PM
lostinthebronx

I'm genuinely happy for GB - terrific organization and with his performance today Rodgers has really elevated himself to elite QB status.

lostinthebronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Arthur*
U MAD?

Quote:
Why would I have to? It's at the top of the forum right now.

But I'm kinda honored you just called me a troll.

I mean really, you just bashed Colts fans a few posts ago but you sound like one harping about a 14-2 season that ended with a first game playoff exit talking about how if your team were in the Super Bowl, you'd be clearly the dominant team. I mean, you see teh funny there, no?
There's a big difference between celebrating a season that ended in failure by getting all giddy over awards and making the statement that had they not choked, they would clearly be favorites to win.

But reading comprehension and logic were never your strong suit.

Old
02-06-2011, 09:50 PM
KillerKampfer*

Quote:
Drafting Vince Young was the worst thing that franchise ever did. He's a total moron and can't throw to save his life.

My friend knows someone who was on Tennessee for a few years. He said every day Young is like "Damn I gotta play Quarterback today."

VY would be OK for that team the personel is pretty suited to him but I think the attitude is too far out there. And by now hes surely pissed off too many teammates for him to have that kind of leadership role

Id keep him as a backup. Hes still pretty effective when he plays despite all the negatives, hes a change of pace and as a D you prepare a lot differently for playing him than a more traditional QB.

Old
02-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Way to go Packers!!

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 10:01 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
There's a big difference between celebrating a season that ended in failure by getting all giddy over awards and making the statement that had they not choked, they would clearly be favorites to win.

But reading comprehension and logic were never your strong suit.
Nice try, but my comparison was not exactly a direct one, just to the mentality of a fanbase. We all know how many 14-2 and 13-3 seasons the Colts had that ended the same way as the Patriots season did this year. If a Colts fan said the same thing you just did about being a ten point fave "had we been there" (And I'm sure plenty of them did at the time) you'd be "trolling" them......and rightfully so.

"If <insert team here> had been in that game" is the single dumbest line in sports, and invalidates just about anything said after it. <Insert team here> wasn't there, and likely for a very good reason.

Old
02-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Lordstanley
Bandwagonaire

Not a good day for the Steel city teams today. At least 1/3 of my combination came through today. Ten to make 5 grand
With G.B winning !

Lordstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 10:18 PM
GloryDaze4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by STURMnRYDA2PROV View Post
He is not better. If hes a top 5 NFL QB its on intangibles and the team around him not Big Ben's actual ability. But he is tougher than Brady and the leagues best.

I wont say Bens a better leader but QB's are all about thier egos and the established guys have chinks in their armour football related unlike Big Ben when his embarrasing moments are off the field.

Drew Henson punked our golden boy his senior year at Michigan.

Rodgers had to sit in the backroom of the NFL Draft for hours and actually benefitted from not playing for a few years he went to freakin Cal and still no 49ers fans complain about not drafting him (they will now kinda late though).

Tennessee won the National Championship the year after Peyton left with Tee Martin.

Brees was told to screw in favor of Rivers.

Ben is like a Bledsoe who can run. And hes on a good team. Keep those thing about the truly elite guys as well as Cutler's situation and your going to have a hard time coming up with guys better than him.
I hope you aren't serious about Ben being the "best" (because it also means you are contradicting yourself) and mean that he's the toughest QB in the NFL?

Also, not exactly sure how things from the distant past (college) have any impact whatsoever of the "armor" of the NFL's top QB's? If anything, the things you referenced probably lit a fire under those QB's a$$es, and made them better today, not worse.

If you are going to talk about old "chinks" with BR, I guess it would be that the guy couldn't even get a scholarship witha decent D-One football program and had to settle for playing for a MAC program...seems to have affected his confidence about as much as the events you referenced affected Brady, Brees, and Rodgers

Old
02-06-2011, 10:37 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
I hope you aren't serious about Ben being the "best" (because it also means you are contradicting yourself) and mean that he's the toughest QB in the NFL?
I think he meant he's tougher than "Brady and the other top QB's in the league, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, et al.". And I would agree that he is the toughest QB in the league, to the point he does not get the roughing calls that others would. Heck, tonight he got grazed near the head and facemask once or twice which if it had been Manning or Brady, there would have been yellow out.

Face it, the best QB's now are in the end, products of their system devised by good coaches who see the strengths and weaknesses of the player and adjust. And Roethlisberger, while not putting up great numbers, fits the Steelers "no star" system pretty well. I don't know that he'd be as good on any other team, but I think there are a lot of potentially talented quarterbacks who ended up as busts because they were stuck with incompetent coaches who had no idea how to formulate a workable system for them to showcase their abilities. That's why I found the final drive so shockingly poor from Pittsburgh. I can't imagine Tomlin is very happy right now with how the final two played out.

Old
02-07-2011, 06:54 AM
GloryDaze4877

Quote:
I think he meant he's tougher than "Brady and the other top QB's in the league, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, et al.". And I would agree that he is the toughest QB in the league, to the point he does not get the roughing calls that others would. Heck, tonight he got grazed near the head and facemask once or twice which if it had been Manning or Brady, there would have been yellow out.

Face it, the best QB's now are in the end, products of their system devised by good coaches who see the strengths and weaknesses of the player and adjust. And Roethlisberger, while not putting up great numbers, fits the Steelers "no star" system pretty well. I don't know that he'd be as good on any other team, but I think there are a lot of potentially talented quarterbacks who ended up as busts because they were stuck with incompetent coaches who had no idea how to formulate a workable system for them to showcase their abilities. That's why I found the final drive so shockingly poor from Pittsburgh. I can't imagine Tomlin is very happy right now with how the final two played out.
That's what happens when you only play 30 minutes of football. PIT got away with it against the Ravens, got away with it against the Jets, and almost got away with it yesterday. You go to that well too many times and eventually it's going to be dry. IMO, the Mendenhall fumble saved the Packers.

Old
02-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Rocko604

Quote:
That's what happens when you only play 30 minutes of football. PIT got away with it against the Ravens, got away with it against the Jets, and almost got away with it yesterday. You go to that well too many times and eventually it's going to be dry. IMO, the Mendenhall fumble saved the Packers.
As a Steeler fan, that pretty much hits the nail on the head. Not only does playing 30 minutes not win you a game, but neither does coughing up the ball 3 times, and having the other team score EVERY time off those turnovers.

On top of all that, their final drive was down right horrible. If you're going to rely on your last drive to win you a game, at least get past the 50 yard line.

But congrats to Green Bay, they deserved it. Plus it's an NFC team I don't mind at all, so I'm more pissed off with the Steelers performance than I am with the Pack holding the trophy. Thank god it's not Seattle.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

I was rooting for the Steelers against the Jets and I was rooting for the Packers against the Steelers so things went pretty well after that awful Pats game.

Bizarro Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote