HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emelin's requirements to come in NA

Old
01-20-2011, 01:07 PM
shutehinside

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
I get it (and you're consistently making valid points)

But since we're debating this at all, we both know Emelin does not have his optimal development path as his #1 priority

So keeping this in mind, do we still want Emelin to get a chance to play with the Habs? I know I do
Dude, you're preaching to the choir over here. I would love nothing more than to get his butt in a Habs jersey. I just don't think that he's good enough to make the jump with no adjustment period. And if he has the option to bolt and go back to Russia to make millions more dollars then he's gone and we won't ever see him again imo.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
How exactly did he earn this right? He has proven absolutely nothing at the NHL level and so I have trouble understanding why he gets to call his shots. Please don't use Malkin in this arguement because it has nothing to do with Emelin. Malkin wasn't "lured" here by the Pens saying they wouldn't send him down to the minors. It's a completely different situation as Malkin was going to play in the NHL no matter what. The same can not be said for Emelin who is still a huge question mark.

As for it not sending a bad message i completely disagree again. By giving in to these kinds of demands, drafted players can then dictate who they can pay for and under what terms. What if a top round pick decides to go to the KHL instead of signing with his NHL team so he can start making millions of dollars tax free. After a few years he approaches his club and says he'll come play IF he decides how he's going to be developed and that they won't be able to send him down. Meanwhile, where it does send a bad message is all the other players in the organization, who bust there butts for little to know money and no guarentee that they'll even make the NHL but give it there all anyways, lose a roster spot for a guy who has never struggles and paid his dues. That's a bad message if I've ever seen one and one I don't think the Habs need to comply for the player that's asking for it. If he was a Malkin/Ovy style player then hell yes I'd give it to him, but then again, he wouldn't need that assuance.
Welcome to the new hockey landscape where players have more options!!!

If NHL teams are serious about signing or retaining their eastern block talent, they will be forced to become more contract creative while doing away with the "our way to the highway" development/contract process.

It's not the 1990s anymore. In a hockey world where the NHL no longer has a stranglehold on all available talent, I don't think a bad precedent is being set if Emelin is signed. If anything we're seeing that 'precedent' slowly change as it adapts to the new hockey landscape.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:10 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
He has struggled in the KHL since leaving Lada, last year he started to turn things around in the playoffs and he's carried that over to this year. So one could guess that the Habs were not overly keen to give into his demands (although I heard it had to do money) since he wasn't playing all that great. From what I hear, he's having a breakout year so one would think the Habs would be more interested now then in the past.

Well it's not hard to guess, since he can only get the rookie max.

I mis spok/typed. I meant to say we don't know what a UFA will ask for and if it would actually be double of what Emelin would make.

Old
01-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Dude, you're preaching to the choir over here. I would love nothing more than to get his butt in a Habs jersey. I just don't think that he's good enough to make the jump with no adjustment period. And if he has the option to bolt and go back to Russia to make millions more dollars then he's gone and we won't ever see him again imo.
You and Emelin both...

On the bright side, if he ends up bolting Carle will be able to start his Norris career

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:39 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Welcome to the new hockey landscape where players have more options!!!

If NHL teams are serious about signing or retaining their eastern block talent, they will be forced to become more contract creative while doing away with the "our way to the highway" development/contract process.

It's not the 1990s anymore. In a hockey world where the NHL no longer has a stranglehold on all available talent, I don't think a bad precedent is being set if Emelin is signed. If anything we're seeing that 'precedent' slowly change as it adapts to the new hockey landscape.
Well the nice part of an open market is the ability to pick and choose who you want to play for you as well.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. It's been going on for 6+ years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
You and Emelin both...

On the bright side, if he ends up bolting Carle will be able to start his Norris career
Between PK, Weber, Wiz, Markov, Gorges, Spacek and an entire market of possible defenders I think we'll be okay on the back end going forward with or without Emelin. Like I said, I think he'd eventually make a great partner for Markov a la Komi circa 2007-2008.

Carle, well that's just too bad he can't stay healthy long enough to see if he can be a player or not. In any case, I just hope we continue to get batter and improve.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:46 PM
HCH

I can't believe everyone is whining about this.

Let's say he wants a shot at the NHL which might cost us $2 million or maybe a little more but if he doesn't make the team it costs us nothing. Where's the downside here? To me it's all upside...

When you look at what some of our other free agent signings have been guaranteed, this is insanely cheap.... and we wouldn't be locked into a bad long term contract.

Cammalleri and Gionta were guaranteed $30 million and $25 million respectively. I know they were proven NHL peformers but how effective will either of them be during the last two years of their contracts. There is a good chance that they won't be as effective as they are today when they are closer to their peak production years.

I'm not saying that either of these are bad contracts but let's put things in perspective.

Those who say Emelin is on a power trip should take a good look in the mirror. Make him toe the line, make him conform, make him follow the same route as everyone else etc. does not sound like an open mind. The fact is that there is no one right way that applies to everyone who is trying to earn a spot in this league. There are lots of different avenues.

It really sounds like some guys would sooner teach Emelin a lesson than give him an opportunity.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Between PK, Weber, Wiz, Markov, Gorges, Spacek and an entire market of possible defenders I think we'll be okay on the back end going forward with or without Emelin. Like I said, I think he'd eventually make a great partner for Markov a la Komi circa 2007-2008.

Carle, well that's just too bad he can't stay healthy long enough to see if he can be a player or not. In any case, I just hope we continue to get batter and improve.
I don't want it to be "ok" I want it to be among the best in the NHL. We won't get that by shopping the UFA market because you pay for more than you get, just ask Toronto.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 04:07 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I can't believe everyone is whining about this.

Let's say he wants a shot at the NHL which might cost us $2 million or maybe a little more but if he doesn't make the team it costs us nothing. Where's the downside here? To me it's all upside...

When you look at what some of our other free agent signings have been guaranteed, this is insanely cheap.... and we wouldn't be locked into a bad long term contract.

Cammalleri and Gionta were guaranteed $30 million and $25 million respectively. I know they were proven NHL peformers but how effective will either of them be during the last two years of their contracts. There is a good chance that they won't be as effective as they are today when they are closer to their peak production years.

I'm not saying that either of these are bad contracts but let's put things in perspective.

Those who say Emelin is on a power trip should take a good look in the mirror. Make him toe the line, make him conform, make him follow the same route as everyone else etc. does not sound like an open mind. The fact is that there is no one right way that applies to everyone who is trying to earn a spot in this league. There are lots of different avenues.

It really sounds like some guys would sooner teach Emelin a lesson than give him an opportunity.
He would come here on a Rookie Entry level contract, not $2M.

You don't need an open mind to sign him. All you need is a commitment from him that he wants to have a serious shot at the NHL and not a half assed one which is what that clause will make it.

Old
01-20-2011, 04:23 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
He would come here on a Rookie Entry level contract, not $2M.

You don't need an open mind to sign him. All you need is a commitment from him that he wants to have a serious shot at the NHL and not a half assed one which is what that clause will make it.
He could make up to 2.85M, just that it would be under 1M of actual salary.

I don't see it as a half assed clause. Would you want to give up making a couple million a year to play in the AHL for 62K?

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I agree with those that say give him the clause and allow him to sink or swim. I would inform him though that we intend on issuing him a 2 week conditioning assignment in the AHL to adjust to the North American rink, but after that its sink or swim. I mean even if he doesn't pan out he has to be better than Weber and Picard.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I agree with those that say give him the clause and allow him to sink or swim. I would inform him though that we intend on issuing him a 2 week conditioning assignment in the AHL to adjust to the North American rink, but after that its sink or swim. I mean even if he doesn't pan out he has to be better than Weber and Picard.
Isn't that what training camp and preseason is for?

Old
01-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

I don't see it as a half assed clause. Would you want to give up making a couple million a year to play in the AHL for 62K?
Is there a limit to the type of clauses taht acn be built in? ...or does it have to be standard ones like x amount of points, winning ROY or being on the all-rookie team?

Old
01-21-2011, 12:40 AM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Quote:
It's the 2nd time you've made that statement and I still have no idea were you came up with that. I never said anyting close to that or inferred it. In fact I think it's ridiculous to start off with so please stop attributing that statment with me as I never said it or anything like it.

You're making wild, unproven assumptions that a) another team would sign him and give him the clause, b) that any team would pay him $2M (on a two way contract I would suppose??) and c) that he'd be an NHL quality defender out of the box with no adjustment time what so ever. Those are some pretty lofty assumptions and as such I can't take that statement seriously as it's not based in reality.

He wouldn't spend it in the AHL for no reason. He'd be sent down to adapt and develop into an NHL player. It's not an easy transition to make from Russia to North America. Many players struggle for years to get comfortable. The language, the culture, the media and venues are far great then in Russia as is the expectations and the pressure. To not have that option in developing a player is a mistake imo, especially for one who's never played consitantly on NA ice.

If his agent wanted him in NA so badly then he'd drop the stupid demand for that clause.

How many posters here thought Avtsin was going to start with the Habs this year and how incredible a player he was in Russia and a natural talent. What's he done in the AHL. Sweet dick all is what. So until a player comes here, proves he can play at an elite level in the NHL then I wouldn't guarentee they ANYTHING. Brunstrom is another great example of an older player who had incredibel success in a pro league that just didn't translate in the NHL. He was actually highly sought after with several teams bidding for his services and he or his agent never asked for that ridiculous clause in his contract because no sane GM would give it to him. Fast forward and low and behold, Brunstrom was sent down to the AHL to develop further.

If Emelin amd his agent want to make the move to the NHL then they can. They can do it on the same terms that EVERY other NHL player has done it on. If he's good enough to make it and be a servicable defensman off the bat like you suggest then he shouldn't need the clause to begin with. I just don't get why so many of you want to accomadate a player who hasn't proven anything and start giving him concessions that NO OTHER PLAYER has. It just baffles me, but again, that's just my opinion.
You stated that he hasn't earned his spot. Neither did Crosby et al. They literally were drafted and thrown into the mix based on their talent. You are being a hypocrite if you make that exception for them but not Emelin. I don't know where I'm not clear on this.

It's easier to transition from big ice then to smaller ice as on bigger ice you need to move far more, yes you have more time to think but endurance plays a huge factor.

I don't understand what the consequences of giving Emelin the clause are. Radulov HAD a position and contract with Nashville and he took off despite the NHL opposing it. So what's to say, other players won't leave for more money.
His demand is not to spend execessive amounts of time in the AHL, which is reasonable seeing how he can easily get $4m/year in the KHL. He knows the Habs are going to give him the minimum and nothing more.
But as per usual most Habs fans are always afraid of taking a risk no matter how small it is. The kid can play. He can shoot and loves to hit.

The pros out weigh the cons on this and there is no valid reason not to give him a clause. It could be as simple as "10-15 games in the AHL for conditioning, X amount of NHL games based on performance."

Old
01-21-2011, 01:22 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Isn't that what training camp and preseason is for?
not the same thing, especially this late into the season.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:15 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
not the same thing, especially this late into the season.
What are you talking about? "this late in the season"?

Old
01-21-2011, 08:43 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
You stated that he hasn't earned his spot. Neither did Crosby et al. They literally were drafted and thrown into the mix based on their talent. You are being a hypocrite if you make that exception for them but not Emelin. I don't know where I'm not clear on this.

It's easier to transition from big ice then to smaller ice as on bigger ice you need to move far more, yes you have more time to think but endurance plays a huge factor.

I don't understand what the consequences of giving Emelin the clause are. Radulov HAD a position and contract with Nashville and he took off despite the NHL opposing it. So what's to say, other players won't leave for more money.
His demand is not to spend execessive amounts of time in the AHL, which is reasonable seeing how he can easily get $4m/year in the KHL. He knows the Habs are going to give him the minimum and nothing more.
But as per usual most Habs fans are always afraid of taking a risk no matter how small it is. The kid can play. He can shoot and loves to hit.

The pros out weigh the cons on this and there is no valid reason not to give him a clause. It could be as simple as "10-15 games in the AHL for conditioning, X amount of NHL games based on performance."
You make too much sense.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:07 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post

I don't understand what the consequences of giving Emelin the clause are. Radulov HAD a position and contract with Nashville and he took off despite the NHL opposing it. So what's to say, other players won't leave for more money. His demand is not to spend execessive amounts of time in the AHL, which is reasonable seeing how he can easily get $4m/year in the KHL. He knows the Habs are going to give him the minimum and nothing more.
But as per usual most Habs fans are always afraid of taking a risk no matter how small it is. The kid can play. He can shoot and loves to hit. The pros out weigh the cons on this and there is no valid reason not to give him a clause. It could be as simple as "10-15 games in the AHL for conditioning, X amount of NHL games based on performance."
So I'm being a hypocrite for thinking that Crosby and Emelin shouldn't be put in the same category? Okay, well I think that speaks for itself.

How do you know it's easier to go form big to small ice? Every hockey player, scout and hockey professional says the exact opposite of that statement so once again, I'll disregard that statement.

Radulov left BEFORE (or close to the time) the NHL and KHL had an agreement in place to respect each others contracts. Since then, other than it happeneing to Valentenko, I can't think of anyone else it's happened to.

His demand from what I understand is not to spend any time in the AHL. I don't think that should be up to him or any other player to decide but rather managements.

I don't see it as a "bold" move for the Habs to sign him but rather a capitulation to a player who hasn't proven anything other than insighting the dreams and fantasies of the Habs fan base.

If there was "no valid reason" for not giving him the clause, they would have given it to him. It's not like he's asking for clean towles after a shower to be guarentees in his contract. He's demanding to dictate his own development. How do you not see this as a valid reason!? If you think were to sit down and really think about the possible ramifications of that, I mean really put yourself at the other side of the table, I'm sure you'll be able to see why these clause would pose a problem to ANY teams management. Stop thinking about it as a nonsense clause that has no bearing on his development because it absolutly does. Not jusy his but future players who we want to sign whether it be rookies, RFA's or UFA's.

Old
01-21-2011, 10:13 AM
shutehinside

Quote:

Even better, not exactly a "deal" for an unknown commodity or half of what a comparable Dman would make.

That stands true for ALL NHL players. Trotter went to the KHL for the same reason, he knew he wouldn't make the NHL and took the money in Russia. If Emelin doesn't think he's good enough to make the NHL then he'll leave anyways to go back to Russia and make the big bucks.

I think it's a ridiculous clause becuase as I said numerous times, it should not be up to a player to dictate their development. If he needs more time in the AHL to adapt then so be it. If that's what he needs to be a better player then that's what he needs. For what Emelin is saying is basically "I'll come to the NHL as long as I make as much as I do here, if I'm not good enough I'll go back and keep making the money." The problem I have with that is that it's all or nothing. If he has the potential to be a good defenseman but needs time to adjust then he won't do it and we'll lose him forever.

That's why it's such a terribel idea. If players know they can pull this with an NHL team, then far more players will try to pull this in the future and the NHL will lose even more talent to the KHL imo.

Old
01-21-2011, 10:35 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Is there a limit to the type of clauses taht acn be built in? ...or does it have to be standard ones like x amount of points, winning ROY or being on the all-rookie team?
I'm not aware of a limit on the number of clauses, just the limit on the amount he can make if he hits all of them.

Quote:
That stands true for ALL NHL players. Trotter went to the KHL for the same reason, he knew he wouldn't make the NHL and took the money in Russia. If Emelin doesn't think he's good enough to make the NHL then he'll leave anyways to go back to Russia and make the big bucks.

I think it's a ridiculous clause becuase as I said numerous times, it should not be up to a player to dictate their development. If he needs more time in the AHL to adapt then so be it. If that's what he needs to be a better player then that's what he needs. For what Emelin is saying is basically "I'll come to the NHL as long as I make as much as I do here, if I'm not good enough I'll go back and keep making the money." The problem I have with that is that it's all or nothing. If he has the potential to be a good defenseman but needs time to adjust then he won't do it and we'll lose him forever.

That's why it's such a terribel idea. If players know they can pull this with an NHL team, then far more players will try to pull this in the future and the NHL will lose even more talent to the KHL imo.
Not sure why you bring up Trotter, he was kicked out of the NCAA and was playing in the AHL for some 60K. He's making something like 300K now. Emelin has been in the RSL/KHL since he was drafted, and makes a couple million, huge huge difference.

I look at is as job security. If your making millions at home (winning back to back to back championships) there's no way you would want to leave all that to ride a bus for long hours and make some 60K. It's just not logical. These are new times we live in, so you either adjust or get left behind.

I don't see it as a prospect telling us what he's going to do. To me the Habs should look at it as they have a player that wants to come over, if he is good enough to make the team, then it's good for us, if not then we can loan him back to the KHL while keeping his rights for a couple years. There is very little risk in this as it's very rare that one of your prospects is going to be making millions of dollars in another league. They only downside is that you lose a body and he takes up a contract spot out of the 50.

Old
01-21-2011, 01:43 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
I'm not aware of a limit on the number of clauses, just the limit on the amount he can make if he hits all of them.

Not sure why you bring up Trotter, he was kicked out of the NCAA and was playing in the AHL for some 60K. He's making something like 300K now. Emelin has been in the RSL/KHL since he was drafted, and makes a couple million, huge huge difference.

I look at is as job security. If your making millions at home (winning back to back to back championships) there's no way you would want to leave all that to ride a bus for long hours and make some 60K. It's just not logical. These are new times we live in, so you either adjust or get left behind.

I don't see it as a prospect telling us what he's going to do. To me the Habs should look at it as they have a player that wants to come over, if he is good enough to make the team, then it's good for us, if not then we can loan him back to the KHL while keeping his rights for a couple years. There is very little risk in this as it's very rare that one of your prospects is going to be making millions of dollars in another league. They only downside is that you lose a body and he takes up a contract spot out of the 50.
The reason I brought up Trotter was for exactly what you pointed out in your post about how he only made $60,000 in the AHL and is now making substantially more in the KHL. It was to support that Emelin would definately choose to go back to Russia rather then the AHL and that's why the decision should not be left to him but rather it should be management as they won't make a decision based on dollars but rather what's best for Emelin to be the best he can be in the NHL.

I appreciate your perspective that you don't see it as a prospect telling us what he's going to do but it doesn't change the fact that that's exactly what it does do. If you can't send him down for fear of him bolting and you don't want him sitting in the box watching the game as a 7th defenseman and not learning, what they hell do you do with him? By putting in that clause you're basically limiting his develpment to practise with little to no game action if the coach isn't comfortable putting him in there. I see a problem with that but again, that's obviously just me.

I dunno, maybe I'm weird for trusting management with the care and development of our prospects and not letting them do what they want to. Maybe it's good for them to start a new trend of letting unsigned prospects dictate the terms of their contracts. Whats do I know.

Old
01-21-2011, 01:44 PM
paddy

Quote:

That makes too much sense for the JM wannabes "my way or the highway" fans.

paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:57 PM
guest1467

Quote:

Not that I necessarily disagree with anything you said, but there is also very little risk for Emelin either. If he gets sent down, or doesn´t like the situation, he can leave and re-sign with a Russian club.

To me, it just sounds like he is making an excuse. If he wants to play in the NHL, come over, who cares about the clause.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:04 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
That makes too much sense for the JM wannabes "my way or the highway" fans.
I think that's the way it should always be in all professional organization despite what your personal opinion is of Martin. I'd just as soon not have it where the inmates are running the prison, even if you don't personally like the Warden or Head Guard.

Besides that, JM has absolutley NOTHING to do with the contract so your comment is based solely on your hate of JM and not on any fact that I can see. It's PG's job to go over the contracts, not JM.

Old
01-21-2011, 02:28 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Not that I necessarily disagree with anything you said, but there is also very little risk for Emelin either. If he gets sent down, or doesn´t like the situation, he can leave and re-sign with a Russian club.

To me, it just sounds like he is making an excuse. If he wants to play in the NHL, come over, who cares about the clause.
Didn't you read this thread? People are freaking out.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:59 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
The reason I brought up Trotter was for exactly what you pointed out in your post about how he only made $60,000 in the AHL and is now making substantially more in the KHL. It was to support that Emelin would definately choose to go back to Russia rather then the AHL and that's why the decision should not be left to him but rather it should be management as they won't make a decision based on dollars but rather what's best for Emelin to be the best he can be in the NHL.

I appreciate your perspective that you don't see it as a prospect telling us what he's going to do but it doesn't change the fact that that's exactly what it does do. If you can't send him down for fear of him bolting and you don't want him sitting in the box watching the game as a 7th defenseman and not learning, what they hell do you do with him? By putting in that clause you're basically limiting his develpment to practise with little to no game action if the coach isn't comfortable putting him in there. I see a problem with that but again, that's obviously just me.

I dunno, maybe I'm weird for trusting management with the care and development of our prospects and not letting them do what they want to. Maybe it's good for them to start a new trend of letting unsigned prospects dictate the terms of their contracts. Whats do I know.
Who wouldn't want to play for millions over 60K? You act like it's a bad thing.

I think it's an easy situation. If you think he can play in the NHL, you bring him over, knowing that he either is in the top 7 or he continues his development in the KHL on loan. It's not like he's telling the Habs he has to play, just that he doesn't want to play in the AHL. If the Habs aren't ok with that, fine. I just don't see it as a big deal since it's a minor risk to the team. If he can't make the top 7, I don't see it as a big deal if he's in Russia over Hamitlon since it's logical to assume that no one would want to give up millions for 60ishK. While the only concern I would have is that he would still count on the 50 contracts limit, it wouldn't be enough of a concern not to bring him over, when we could be in a position to sorely need some bodies on D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post

Not sure I agree. I think there's a good bit of risk on his part. He's got a family to think of, up rooting them to a new country, culture, language. Plus his spot could be filled when he leaves since AK Bars has been one of the top teams in the KHL, so he would surely be making a big move in his life, granted if it didn't work out he would likely be able to continue to make millions in Russia but it's a lot to put a young family through when they are already in a good position.