HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Moulson wants to remain with Islanders

Old
01-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

vCash: 500
Moulson wants to remain with Islanders

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ders-1.2614875

Quote:
"I personally love it here. I love the guys, I like the way the organization treats us and I like the direction we're heading. We have a good group of guys, and that's the key. Everyone wants to win with each other, and I don't know if you find that too often in professional sports," said Moulson, who has 14 goals and 12 assists in 43 games for the Islanders this season. "Over the past two years, I've made some good friendships with guys and I want to be part of this team moving forward to where we'll be a playoff-contending team every year."
Quote:
"That's something I'd probably have to sit down and talk about with my agent," Moulson said when asked if he'd like to have his contract resolved sooner rather than later. "That's why we pay the agents the big bucks to deal with it. He'll talk to Garth about what's best and I'm sure they'll figure that out. I just want to worry about making a miracle comeback and getting us to the Stanley Cup playoffs. Whether I'm in a contract year or not, I want to score and I want to win."
Quote:
"My loyalty to this team is pretty much because I like playing here,'' he said. "I was very fortunate to get a shot with the Islanders. Maybe why I like it here so much is because of how they treated me and the type of opportunity that I got, but I think I'm loyal for a lot more reasons than that."
Get to it Garth.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:59 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

Good, sign him to a 3 year deal. This kid's a keeper and I love the way he plays. If he does sign an extension, then it shows who Garth really wants on this team. I think he wants to keep Moulson.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:05 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Just wait for all the people who'll say, "this doesn't mean anything" "what else is he supposed to say" "he's still bolting this summer" etc.

Great to hear, however.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Renbarg

It doesn't mean anything.

Wake me up when someone decides to say "I want to play this season out and then I'm gonna try my luck somewhere else."

Standard P.R.

I'm still not convinced in Moulson anyway. I would like him back for the right price but I certainly wouldn't cry if he went somewhere else.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:18 PM
cjdv16

Pay him 2nd line winger money and call it a day.

3 years / 9-10M

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:23 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
It doesn't mean anything.

Wake me up when someone decides to say "I want to play this season out and then I'm gonna try my luck somewhere else."

Standard P.R.

I'm still not convinced in Moulson anyway. I would like him back for the right price but I certainly wouldn't cry if he went somewhere else.
If Moulson doesn't want to stay then nothing would have been said.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Seems like a great kid! Hope to see him stick around and produce. Come on Garth, lock him up!!!!

01-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Okay lets role play. You be Matt Moulson and pretend you are not interested in the Islanders, I'll be Katie.

Katie: "Hey Matt do you want to play for the Islanders next year?"

Old
01-16-2011, 10:59 PM
CREW99AW

I'm glad to read Moulson wants to stay.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:10 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Okay lets role play. You be Matt Moulson and pretend you are not interested in the Islanders, I'll be Katie.

Matt: Hopefully Garth and my agent can agree on an extension.

But of course, everything he said about loving the team and organization is all ******** in some opinions. Is it that hard to realize that he doesn't have to say any of it?

I think this board has reached a even deeper level of pessimism.

Old
01-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Matt: Hopefully Garth and my agent can agree on an extension.

But of course, everything he said about loving the team and organization is all ******** in some opinions. Is it that hard to realize that he doesn't have to say any of it?

I think this board has reached a even deeper level of pessimism.
These guys aren't stupid. They give the reporter what they want in whatever situation. I mean I bet you can map out all the questions and answers prior to them being asked. Most players are very PR savvy, although it doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

What he said is not necessarily ******** but it is spoken in a medium that is not conducive to the truth. Anything that resembles controversy is dissected and leads to ten more questions. So why not just give the reporter what she wants and she is out of your hair for the rest of the day (it may or may not be true, the truth is irrelevant).

Old
01-16-2011, 11:23 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
These guys aren't stupid. They give the reporter what they want in whatever situation. I mean I bet you can map out all the questions and answers prior to them being asked. Most players are very PR savvy, although it doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

What he said is not necessarily ******** but it is spoken in a medium that is not conducive to the truth. Anything that resembles controversy is dissected and leads to ten more questions. So why not just give the reporter what she wants and she is out of your hair for the rest of the day (it may or may not be truth).
What is your point? Are you actually claiming that this doesn't mean anything? All professionalism by an athlete goes down the drain and gets chalked up as fake?

I see the same **** all the time about Tavares. What is the reason for being negative? Here we see an article about one of our most talented forwards showing his dedication to the team, but it needs to be twisted into what it is not.

Pessimism never won any battle.

Old
01-16-2011, 11:28 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
What is your point? Are you actually claiming that this doesn't mean anything? All professionalism by an athlete goes down the drain and gets chalked up as fake?

I see the same **** all the time about Tavares. What is the reason for being negative? Here we see an article about one of our most talented forwards showing his dedication to the team, but it needs to be twisted into what it is not.

Pessimism never won any battle.
Thats exactly what I'm saying, it means nothing. I'm not saying its not true but he would be saying something along the same vein if he didn't want to be back next year.

The same goes true for all player interviews except when something is said that is not on the script. That is the only time that you know for sure the player is speaking his mind and not ************.

Old
01-16-2011, 11:36 PM
4Isles4*

3 year for 3-3.25 mill a year should do it and I think its fair for both sides....I love MM and his attitude.....plus its not often you find guys who actually want to be here.....

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:39 PM
4Isles4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
agree 100% he would of just said thats between garth and my agent im just focusing on hockey right now and im still and islanders.....think carmelo anthony......If he didnt want to stay he wouldnt of said he wants to be hear and enjoys it hear.....

Old
01-16-2011, 11:42 PM
4Isles4*

Quote:

MM: "Hey Katie.....what did you say???/ Right now im just focusing on playing my game and the team winning....How bout johnny??? he had a hat trick last night.....hes the man to talk to....."

Old
01-17-2011, 12:02 AM
malPHONEY

Well, duh, it means something. It's not like Moulson going to reject a deal to sign with another team now that he's said this.

Narcissists, cue the inevitable joke about SnoWang...

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:54 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Not for nothing, Carmelo Anthony being compared to a hockey player? Not a slight to Carmelo, but he seems to be of a different ilk.

I believe Moulson, he probably likes playing with one of his best friends, has developed a rapport with the young core, and is grateful for the Islanders giving him a chance; my only fear is that he demands more than what he's worth.

Also a little concerned about PaP's situation, management may look at him as a cheap re-up for the top-6, fooled by his force fed production, and modest chemistry with JT.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:07 AM
BillD

Fantasy league GM's want to act "business tough and savvy" on the computer.
If Moulson is offered a fair deal he will not hesitate to sign here. That is what he means. If Garth low balls him by any amount that has meaning, he will have to consider his options, which is to be expected. I don't think $50K +/- will be a deal breaker.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 06:33 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Pay him 2nd line winger money and call it a day.

3 years / 9-10M
That looks like a good deal for both sides. Keeping Moulson around is a double bonus in that he looks like a legit 25 goal guy and he is good friends with JT. Even if we over pay him by a million long term, we have plenty of cap room and you know that Garth and co can not attract anyone to play here.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Riddick

thats almost identical to what andy sutton said before he was traded. just a thought...

that being said, i really hope we resign moulson. a slight decrease in pay for a longer time, like someone said 3 years/9-10mil.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

It'd be a shock if he isn't resigned by this summer.

Even Garth knows this team
A) must spend some money to be at the cap level next fall
B) must give Tavares at least some sign of this nature that they've 'got his back' and 'his interests in mind'.

There's no doubt that Moulson can compliment Tavares to a certain degree. Get a real right winger in here and there could be a half-way legitimate first line on this team.

And I write this in full recognition of Parenteau pretty much overachieving at the moment.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
thats almost identical to what andy sutton said before he was traded. just a thought...

that being said, i really hope we resign moulson. a slight decrease in pay for a longer time, like someone said 3 years/9-10mil.
From what I remember Sutton isn't exactly doing too good in his current situation. Miss his physicality but this was the right move by Garth.

3 years 9-10 mil is what I would think he would sign for as well. He deserves it.

Of course Parenteau is going to be resigned. Plus he'll get a raise too because he "proved" he could play here. Damn shame too because if the Islanders didn't sign a real winger(which they won't let's be serious) I was hoping Nino would get a look there next year. Figure another year of growth even though he would be a rookie he wasn't out of place up here and figures to be better next year.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Isles4 View Post
MM: "Hey Katie.....what did you say???/ Right now im just focusing on playing my game and the team winning....How bout johnny??? he had a hat trick last night.....hes the man to talk to....."
Ignoring the question is the same as an answer in the negative.

Old
01-17-2011, 09:34 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
From what I remember Sutton isn't exactly doing too good in his current situation. Miss his physicality but this was the right move by Garth.

3 years 9-10 mil is what I would think he would sign for as well. He deserves it.

Of course Parenteau is going to be resigned. Plus he'll get a raise too because he "proved" he could play here. Damn shame too because if the Islanders didn't sign a real winger(which they won't let's be serious) I was hoping Nino would get a look there next year. Figure another year of growth even though he would be a rookie he wasn't out of place up here and figures to be better next year.
We have a real winger already. His name is Kyle Okposo. I know it has been a while, but KO will be our 1st line RW for many years.
He is still just 22 years old after 1 2/3 seasons in the NHL. This could have been a breakout year for KO had he not been injured. Nino would look real good next to JT & KO. Moulson would do as well as he is now on a 2nd line.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote