HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moulson wants to remain with Islanders

Old
01-17-2011, 09:34 AM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
Ignoring the question is the same as an answer in the negative.
Which is usually correct, but that's not what he did.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Riddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
We have a real winger already. His name is Kyle Okposo. I know it has been a while, but KO will be our 1st line RW for many years.
He is still just 22 years old after 1 2/3 seasons in the NHL. This could have been a breakout year for KO had he not been injured. Nino would look real good next to JT & KO. Moulson would do as well as he is now on a 2nd line.
theres no need for moulson on JT's line, they play very similar games. put nino and okposo on the first line, bailey with moulson and martin?

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Macch

Rule of thumb: Any player on the Islanders that publicly states he wants to stay on the Isles is lying...

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:06 AM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
Rule of thumb: Any player on the Islanders that publicly states he wants to stay on the Isles is lying...
My rule of thumb: We don't know what the players are thinking.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
We have a real winger already. His name is Kyle Okposo. I know it has been a while, but KO will be our 1st line RW for many years.
He is still just 22 years old after 1 2/3 seasons in the NHL. This could have been a breakout year for KO had he not been injured. Nino would look real good next to JT & KO. Moulson would do as well as he is now on a 2nd line.
I love Okposo but I think when it's all said and done and this crazy rebuild actually works he'll be on the second line with Moulson while Tavares will be flanked by Nino and another winger. I just don't think KO has that finish to be a legitimate first liner, right now he's the Isles best option for JT though.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:12 AM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
I love Okposo but I think when it's all said and done and this crazy rebuild actually works he'll be on the second line with Moulson while Tavares will be flanked by Nino and another winger. I just don't think KO has that finish to be a legitimate first liner, right now he's the Isles best option for JT though.
But we are viewing this from an almost grownup prospect retrospective. First of all, Okposo could have just been unlucky. It is one season after all. And how do we know Nino will have better finish?

Last edited by malPHONEY: 01-17-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old
01-17-2011, 10:21 AM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
My rule of thumb: We don't know what the players are thinking.
Circle gets the square!!!

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:33 AM
macleod50

I'd like to see him stick around.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:33 AM
redbull
game on

we don't have any insights into the negotiations at all. This could easily turn into a Jason Blake situation where Moulson feels he's worth more than what the Islanders think is fair.

I'm on the fence with Moulson. I like him as a player, I like what he brings to the team, I think he's consistent and reliable, no real weakness, but largely unspectacular.

On a team with little NHL talent, Moulson doesn't really stand out but he's certainly among the top 4-5 forwards on the team.

Not sure if he'd even make a really good team. I wonder what role, if any, he'd play on the Flyers, Wings, Canucks - so who knows. I remember Ponikarovsky getting points on a bad Leaf team only to disappear in Pitts and now in LA. Blake certainly lost all his game in Toronto and now Anaheim.

I don't think Moulson's a $4MM player. He's probably more than a $2MM player. I'd be comfortable at $3M or under, for 3 years absolute max, ideally 2 years.

The biggest problem will be in replacing Moulson. It's very likely that in order to get a replacement (or dare say, an upgrade) you'd have to pay far more. For example, if you wanted Hejduk (a far superior player to Moulson, despite his stats) it would probably cost you an additonal 2 years and another $2MM per! And you probably wouldn't get him anyway.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:35 AM
4Isles4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
Not for nothing, Carmelo Anthony being compared to a hockey player? Not a slight to Carmelo, but he seems to be of a different ilk.

I believe Moulson, he probably likes playing with one of his best friends, has developed a rapport with the young core, and is grateful for the Islanders giving him a chance; my only fear is that he demands more than what he's worth.

Also a little concerned about PaP's situation, management may look at him as a cheap re-up for the top-6, fooled by his force fed production, and modest chemistry with JT.
i was making the point that Carmelo Anthony has never stated that he wants to stay in Denver......so for the ppl saying its Standard "PR" to for MM to say he wants to stay I was trying to argue that its not just "PR" from mm Standpoint and if he did not want to be here he would not have said anything.....

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:38 AM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
we don't have any insights into the negotiations at all. This could easily turn into a Jason Blake situation where Moulson feels he's worth more than what the Islanders think is fair.

I'm on the fence with Moulson. I like him as a player, I like what he brings to the team, I think he's consistent and reliable, no real weakness, but largely unspectacular.

On a team with little NHL talent, Moulson doesn't really stand out but he's certainly among the top 4-5 forwards on the team.

Not sure if he'd even make a really good team. I wonder what role, if any, he'd play on the Flyers, Wings, Canucks - so who knows. I remember Ponikarovsky getting points on a bad Leaf team only to disappear in Pitts and now in LA. Blake certainly lost all his game in Toronto and now Anaheim.

I don't think Moulson's a $4MM player. He's probably more than a $2MM player. I'd be comfortable at $3M or under, for 3 years absolute max, ideally 2 years.

The biggest problem will be in replacing Moulson. It's very likely that in order to get a replacement (or dare say, an upgrade) you'd have to pay far more. For example, if you wanted Hejduk (a far superior player to Moulson, despite his stats) it would probably cost you an additonal 2 years and another $2MM per! And you probably wouldn't get him anyway.
We have to start somewhere, though. Unfortunately, there is not currently a better option than Moulson.

We need high character guys who can lead the way anyway. This is a guy I want to be that veteran presence on a playoff team a few years on (Hopefully he does not singularly carry out that burden).

Old
01-17-2011, 10:39 AM
4Isles4*

Quote:
yOu said pretend your MM and HE DOES NOT WANT TO BE HERE.....

Old
01-17-2011, 10:42 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Last season,when it looked like Matt Martin would be lost back into the draft over a contract impasse,he was asked several times about whether he'd sign with the isles or go back into the draft.

Martin's repeated response:I'm leaving contract talks to my agent and Garth Snow.I'm concentrating on this season.

I don't think a player has to ignore the question.Just indicate his reps are working on contract talks and he(the player),is focusing on playing.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:52 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
I know where you are coming from, but I do not want to sell KO short this early in his career. He has all the tools to be a finisher, speed, size, mobility, balance, shot. He was working out over the summer with Zach Parise with the stated intention of learning what it took to finish his chances. He was on the right track because what was missing was what Zach has, and can be copied: 2nd, 3rd effort, determination, never give up, and a bit of snarl. If KO can incorporate that into his game, he can elevate his scoring touch. If he can't or won't, isn't hungry for the goal like all the great scorers, then you will be correct, he will be a 2nd line wing.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:01 AM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
We have to start somewhere, though. Unfortunately, there is not currently a better option than Moulson.

We need high character guys who can lead the way anyway. This is a guy I want to be that veteran presence on a playoff team a few years on (Hopefully he does not singularly carry out that burden).
Believe me, I have no problem re-signing Moulson and paying more than what others deem to be "fair". Unlike Blake, Moulson is actually a good player. I always felt Blake was a puck-hog and not a team player, took low percentage shots and I wasn't upset when he wasn't re-signed.

Moulson's a good player, good character, honest effort, consistent game, consistent scorer - he can play in any of the top four lines and still be effective IMO. Nothing wrong with a player like Moulson in your lineup - to contrast similar money could be spent on a guy like Frolov, Zherdev, etc.

I'd like to see the Islanders upgrade and get 2-3 guys like:
Brad Richards, Milan Hejduk, Simon Gagne, Ville Leino, Marco Sturm, Justin Williams or even Corey Stillman but history tells me not to get my hopes up.

I'd also like to see Andrei Markov, Chris Phillips or Christian Ehrhoff but I digress.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:10 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:

The Isles have to spend this offseason and the UFA market is weak. Throw in the isles typical issues in that market and it leaves NYI with minimal options beyond trading for someone's elses undesireable.

With Moulson, you know what you have in your current situation. That's worth something more than fans think.

The issue will be where he fits in his comparables and the overall salary structure. For now, Streit is the highest paid (and most deserving).

Sign Moulson for 3,4,5 years. 4 yr, 13 mil deal.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Isles4 View Post
yOu said pretend your MM and HE DOES NOT WANT TO BE HERE.....
But you think MM would answer in the negative if he doesn't want to be here?

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:

Well said, only thing I'll point out is that he's making $2.45M this year and pending a horrific collapse in production over the remainder of the season, he'll probably end up around 25-30 G and 25-30 A, quite possibly bettering the 30/18/48 that netted him the raise this past off-season. Point being, I don't see him signing for under $3M at a minimum. Think we can almost use that as the starting point for the "Is he worth it?" discussion that will ensue this off-season.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:53 PM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
thats almost identical to what andy sutton said before he was traded. just a thought...

that being said, i really hope we resign moulson. a slight decrease in pay for a longer time, like someone said 3 years/9-10mil.
and after he got traded he said he wanted to re-sign with the islanders

thanks for playing

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:24 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rompus Rex View Post
and after he got traded he said he wanted to re-sign with the islanders

thanks for playing
Yeah,the press did say Sutton wanted an extension.

But he'd only had one healthy,productive season out of three.I could see why Snow was leery of tying up millions, on a multi yr deal for a 35 yr old.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:45 PM
4Isles4*

Quote:
But you think MM would answer in the negative if he doesn't want to be here?
no...I think he would have said exactly what i said in the first post....

Old
01-17-2011, 02:38 PM
islandersfan1677

Its great a player wants to stay but we all know damn well that he wants to get paid. On the open market some team would be dumb enough to give him 3 years/15-16 mil. That's why garth needs to get him signed before july 1st. To me he's only worth 3 years/12 mil.

islandersfan1677 is offline   Reply With Quote