HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Konopka & Canucks????

Old
01-16-2011, 10:25 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

vCash: 500
Konopka & Canucks????

http://twitter.com/BComptonNHL/status/26848242369040384

01-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Antidote

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL8116 View Post
OK, we'll take Luongo back if you grovel a bit. And throw in a 2nd.

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:32 PM
OpAck

Na nahhh na na na...

I wonder if that would mean we could change our goal song...again.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
part of me wants him to be reisgned, i like his impact in the room from what it looks like on teh outside and his game, namely his faceoffs and fights.

the other part is the fact that colliton has impressed me, so if they are cool with trading konopka, its nice to know that colliton is there to step right in. he wont replace his FO% or fighting majors but is a better player.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Am I the only one who doesn't care for Colliton? He's taking penalties because he can't keep up with the play.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:56 PM
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

Please no. I think Konopka is a good asset to this team. Great on the faceoffs and great in the locker room. The Isles should re-sign him.

KingLio21093 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Renbarg

I wouldn't mind trading him. Konopka is a poor 4th liner. We need someone who can also kill penalties competently to play that position.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:28 PM
4Isles4*

Hes has a lot of value to the islanders....Faceoffs in key situations fights lockerroom guy high energy kills penalties and knows his place as a player on the fourth line.....I love Z and think hes perfect for the isles in the situations hes being used......every team needs role players like this....and hes awsome at his roles.....it would be a major blow to the locker rooif he was dealt.....it would kill moral....

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:31 PM
4Isles4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't care for Colliton? He's taking penalties because he can't keep up with the play.
no your not....I cant stand him....would of rather gave ullstrum a look to be honest.....I think everyone was just high off of the 2 goal game he had first coming up.....

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:33 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
I wouldn't mind trading him. Konopka is a poor 4th liner. We need someone who can also kill penalties competently to play that position.
It's not the smartest asset management to trade the #5 faceoff man in the NHL when you're not going to get much in return for him.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:37 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
It's not the smartest asset management to trade the #5 faceoff man in the NHL when you're not going to get much in return for him.
Seriously. Unless we get Steckle somehow, Id like Z resigned.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:46 AM
ledzep1212
COYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
lol, anyway this would be completely stupid. If Snow doesn't resign Z for 1 or 2 years I will be really disappointed.

ledzep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:33 AM
BillD

Z is a real good team guy........and outstanding on the draws.
But if we get good value in return, then pull the trigger.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:51 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Makes sense for Vancouver. Seems to fit what they want for the 4th line. What does NYI need in return? Shirokov? He's getting called up right now but I can't see how he'll get a legit shot in Vancouer. Might make sense to move a bottom 6 piece if they think they'll get something with higher upside comming back. I don't really follow the Isles though, so I don't really know your perspective.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 06:21 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
I think Colliton is a mediocre player at best. Konopka brings energy, leadership, and faceoffs. Doesn't hurt the team out there and would be missed greatly if traded.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 06:36 AM
Hip Of Rick

Colliton is good for a 1-2 game emergency call up. He is not an NHL player but can blend in for a game or 2. Right now with the crap Garth has brought in he is one of the top 12 forwards in the organization. So sad when Colliton is your 3rd line center

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:56 AM
GilliesGirlie

Please no, I would like to keep Z! He's far too important to the Isles, they will never get decent value for him.

Old
01-17-2011, 07:57 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

colliton can't skate. this team can't keep loading up on non-skaters.
we shouldn't trade konopka unless we are offered a ridiculous overpayment like a team's late first rounder or a prospect that would've made the Isles out of training camp over someone else on the team and who's projected to develop into a better player than konopka. and since we know the likelihood of that happening is about nil, we move along.

the only way i see a ridiculous overpayment happening is if a team like vancouver decides that there's no one to be chosen in the late first round that will help them any time soon; basically, an indictment of the weak draft class that is 2011. should they decide that's the case, then maybe, just maybe, they part with a pick to nab someone they think can put them over the top- but i'm sure they can do better than zk.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:05 AM
Chardo

He fills some key roles, has legitimate value on the ice, is liked by the team, has a low salary, and likes playing here. Why would you trade that away? He's exactly the kind of guy you re-sign.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
He fills some key roles, has legitimate value on the ice, is liked by the team, has a low salary, and likes playing here. Why would you trade that away? He's exactly the kind of guy you re-sign.
This^

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:20 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
Since the rumor looks to be coming out of Vancouver and not LI,I'm hoping there's not much substance behind it.

I'd like to see him re-signed for next season.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ho...#ixzz1BICB42jR
The Canucks will temporarily fill his spot and are expected to recall a forward from Manitoba this week. Maybe it will be Sergei Shirokov or Viktor Oreskovich. But Vancouver will look for ways to do better. A name getting some traction locally is Islanders centre Zenon Konopka.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

1) Depends on what we'd get in a trade. If Vancouver is offering a third, I almost fear that'd be enough for Snow, if he feels Colltion can finish this season here. I feel it'd be the wrong signal to send to this fanbase, much less a young and physically weak locker room in which there seems to be no time line for a return of Weight, Nielsen or Hunter, and where the Okposo situation is cloudy, at best. However, if Vancouver says we'll send you Hansen for Konopka and say a 5th, Snow should pull the trigger. The Canuckers have got scorers out there... Hansen is a guy on the bubble, but everyone knows he's got real potential and would likely be a top 9 forward on 80% of the rosters around the league.

2) Re-signing. A trade does not mean a guy can't sign as a UFA in the off-season, although it rarely seems to happen. Last time I saw that was Weight and Tkachuk resigning with St. Louis after having been sent to Carolina and Atlanta, respectively. Still, technically, there's nothing stopping Snow from having handshake agreements with the likes of Moulson, Martinek and Konopka, trading them and then resigning them in the off-season.

I've always wondered why this isn't done with great regularity. Fact is, if a guy likes his team and the area he's living in, he can often be sent somewhere with a shot at playing in the playoffs and maybe even going far. His team gets something in return and then he goes right back home in the summer.

Still, this team must field four somewhat verifiable lines. Konopka has - for the most part - been very good in his role. Unfortunately, he's a very poor skater and although often used there, not the best penalty killer. There's no doubt he's always ready for any task and is one of the few guys on the team who 'sends messages'.

Of course, if this team could ever get at least three of Okposo, Nielsen, Hunter and Weight in the line-up at the same time, then there'd be room to wiggle.

Sidenote:
Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Cizikas on the Island before season's end.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:21 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post

2) Re-signing. A trade does not mean a guy can't sign as a UFA in the off-season, although it rarely seems to happen. Last time I saw that was Weight and Tkachuk resigning with St. Louis after having been sent to Carolina and Atlanta, respectively. Still, technically, there's nothing stopping Snow from having handshake agreements with the likes of Moulson, Martinek and Konopka, trading them and then resigning them in the off-season.
Last season when Weight's name was coming up in trade rumors,Weight reportedly said if they dealt him,he would not re-sign with the isles..

I'm not saying Konopka or Moulson would not return if dealt,but keep in mind that players don't look at being dealt as a show of loyalty from a team.Moulson has said a few times he's loyal to nyi and appreciates the opportunity they gave him when signing him.

Also,by moving these players to playoff teams,it gives them the excitement of a playoff race and other teams making them contract offers.Why risk losing them?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:24 AM
BillD

Hansen would be a very nice return for Konopka, but he plays a different role that we may already have enough of. Skilled depth wing that has good hockey sense, but doesn'y play with enough jam. Is a passer rather than shooter. Sound anything like Bailey? Do we need that to sacrifice the draws that Konopka wins?
If he was really high skilled passer that had speed and played hard on the puck, I would like that on JT's LW to go with KO on the RW.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Last season when Weight's name was coming up in trade rumors,Weight reportedly said if they dealt him,he would not re-sign with the isles..

I'm not saying Konopka or Moulson would not return if dealt,but keep in mind that players don't look at being dealt as a show of loyalty from a team.Moulson has said a few times he's loyal to nyi and appreciates the opportunity they gave him when signing him.

Also,by moving these players to playoff teams,it gives them the excitement of a playoff race and other teams making them contract offers.Why risk losing them?
The bolded part is a real risk.

The part above it is theoretically easily avoided. A GM simply has a little meeting with the player and his agent, discusses the desire to have the player stay long-term and that once they roughly agree on what a future contract would look like, the GM lets the player know that there's a possible deal for him where he'd go to a contender and the team would get assets in return.

In other words, the GM asks the guy if he's willing to spend 2-3 months with a contender in order to get this team more assets and then resign with it at the theoretically agreed upon terms in the summer.

As long as all are in agreement, it's no problem. Shake hands and get on with it.

Obviously, if the player doesn't want to finish the season elsewhere, then the GM can't risk a trade if he really wants to keep the guy.

But true, there's never a legally stipulated guarantee that the guy will return and you're right: Even if they do come to a gentleman's agreement, the GM never knows if the player will find the new team and surroundings more to his liking.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote