HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kaberle for Wheeler

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2011, 05:34 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
Assuming we were out of the playoffs and Kabs was a UFA, I'd consider it.
I would probably want a little more though. A decent pick, late 1st, maybe early 2nd.

If Kabs isn't traded (or, I guess, even if he is), any idea on his intentions for next year? Any indication he will re-sign with the Leafs?
He seems to state every single time he is questioned that he wants to stay a Leaf for life. I have no idea what would happen if we traded him though, who knows where his loyalties would lie after that.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:37 PM
cneely

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
He seems to state every single time he is questioned that he wants to stay a Leaf for life. I have no idea what would happen if we traded him though, who knows where his loyalties would lie after that.
And that's the scary part to me.
I wouldn't love giving up valuable assets for a pure rental who would turn around and re-sign with a divisional rival in the off season.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:37 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
I think that sounds fair, but as a Bruins fan I would probably push for it to be that Wild 2nd due to the risks of him not fitting in Julien's system or not re-signing.
Yeah fair enough. I just thought since the Bruins own two first round picks, and with one being as high as it will be, they would be a little more flexible with their willingness to give up one of them.

I guess it also partially depends on whether Chiarelli thinks the Bruins are ready to make their run this year or not. It would be a pretty risky move giving up a 1st round pick for a player that may not re-sign.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:38 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
Inferior players often put up more points on inferior teams. It's not a new thing, but still something Leafs fans have a hard time comprehending.

Inferior players often put up more points on superior teams. It's not a new thing, but still something Bruins fans have a hard time comprehending.

See, it works both ways!

Old
01-17-2011, 05:40 PM
cneely

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Inferior players often put up more points on superior teams. It's not a new thing, but still something Bruins fans have a hard time comprehending.

See, it works both ways!
Generally inferior players don't get the same offensive opportunity (ice time in general, PP time specifically) on better, deeper teams.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Nedved1*

Quote:
Fair enough, although I wouldn't call him a defensive forward. He's solid offensively as well, and IMO would thrive given more ice time and PP time.

The point is that a good young winger like Wheeler is pretty close to fair value for a very good defenceman who is 2 months from free agency.
You have to be a ridiculous leafs SUPER HOMER to believe the bruins are giving up a 5th overall 6 ft 5 24 year old solid 2 way forward to RENT a guy who hasn't played a playoff game in SEVEN YEARS for a couple of months.

Why? Hell, if the bruins are willing to do this, we Canuck fans will trade you the rights to Erhoff for Wheeler if you want.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:42 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Assuming we were out of the playoffs and Kabs was a UFA, I'd consider it.
I would probably want a little more though. A decent pick, late 1st, maybe early 2nd.

If Kabs isn't traded (or, I guess, even if he is), any idea on his intentions for next year? Any indication he will re-sign with the Leafs?
That's exactly why I posted that question, why would anyone expect the Leafs to ask for less?

Not much on the Kaberle front as of late but Burke will get around to doing so. In my opinion the priority right now will be moving someone like Beauchemin or possibly Gunnarsson then re-signing Kaberle.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:43 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Yeah fair enough. I just thought since the Bruins own two first round picks, and with one being as high as it will be, they would be a little more flexible with their willingness to give up one of them.

I guess it also partially depends on whether Chiarelli thinks the Bruins are ready to make their run this year or not. It would be a pretty risky move giving up a 1st round pick for a player that may not re-sign.
Don't get me wrong though. Kaberle would be a great pickup and I am sure Chiarelli would consider adding that pick to Wheeler if it would make or break that deal. Although another problem would be the cap. I don't think we could take the difference between Kaberle and Wheeler. Maybe Paille could be added.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:45 PM
Nedved1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
This has gotten to the point of the absurd. Okay so I check out faceoff.com and Wheeler is on pace for 36 points this year as a forward and Kaberle is on pace for 53 as a defensemen! Are you kidding me, on what planet is this a good trade for the Leafs? Wheeler had 38 points last year as well, he is what he is so why would Toronto want him. Not a chance Burke makes this deal one for one, no f'ng way.

you will NEVER get Blake Wheeler from the Bruins to rent Kaberlae for a couple of months. What a rip off for the Bruins.

I take it the RENTAL part eludes you right? Kaberlae will no longer be a leaf the moment they are HAMMERED out of playoff contention YET AGAIN this year.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:46 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved1 View Post
then go to hell and keep kaberale. You think hes worth so much, shove him up your azz.

you will NEVER get Blake Wheeler from the Bruins to rent Kaberlae for a couple of months. What a rip off for the Bruins.

I take it the RENTAL part eludes you right? Kaberlae will no longer be a leaf the moment they are HAMMERED out of playoff contention YET AGAIN this year.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Nedved1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
Don't get me wrong though. Kaberle would be a great pickup and I am sure Chiarelli would consider adding that pick to Wheeler if it would make or break that deal. Although another problem would be the cap. I don't think we could take the difference between Kaberle and Wheeler. Maybe Paille could be added.
Are you honestly a bruins fan?

Old
01-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Nedved1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbloodhockey View Post
That's exactly why I posted that question, why would anyone expect the Leafs to ask for less?

Not much on the Kaberle front as of late but Burke will get around to doing so. In my opinion the priority right now will be moving someone like Beauchemin or possibly Gunnarsson then re-signing Kaberle.
I cant believe some fans think 32 year old Kaberle is worth anything more than a second rounder. He is a RENTAL and hasn't played a playoff game in 7 years.

7 years.

Only a fool gives up a first rounder or someone like Blake Wheeler for that.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:49 PM
paradeofwolves

Trading Kaberle within the division, let alone to Boston for Blake Wheeler (lol), is stupid stupid stupid. I can't even imagine Burke would be this retarded.

Kaberle should be re-signed.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:53 PM
cneely

Quote:
I cant believe some fans think 32 year old Kaberle is worth anything more than a second rounder. He is a RENTAL and hasn't played a playoff game in 7 years.

7 years.

Kaberle is still arguably a top 10 offensive defenceman. And that's something the Bruins need.

You have to give to get. You are seriously underrating Kaberle.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:54 PM
cneely

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreaming View Post
Trading Kaberle within the division, let alone to Boston for Blake Wheeler (lol), is stupid stupid stupid. I can't even imagine Burke would be this retarded.

Kaberle should be re-signed.
That's why I think it might not happen. Not that the value isn't fair, or very close to fair, but in the short term, it helps the Bruins and hurts the Leafs. Being that the Bruins hold the Leafs 1st rounder, that's a huge positive for the B's.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:55 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
this thread went the way I thought it would

Old
01-17-2011, 05:56 PM
cneely

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbloodhockey View Post
That's fair, and I can't say I disagree with you.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:56 PM
Eennad142

Quote:
7 years.
The only way Toronto gets Wheeler and a 1st rounder from Boston is through the dream sequence on this fantasy trade board. If the Leafers keep on dreaming it will happen, why, it's the next best thing to being real. Halfway home.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:

7 years.

Not sure if serious? Kaberle is a top offensive d-man and a top puck mover. Wheeler has been garbage. You need a reality check. And WTF does Kaberle not being in the playoffs have to do with anything?

Old
01-17-2011, 05:58 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eennad142 View Post
The only way Toronto gets Wheeler and a 1st rounder from Boston is through the dream sequence on this fantasy trade board. If the Leafers keep on dreaming it will happen, why, it's the next best thing to being real. Halfway home.
Ah yes, yet another fan with superiority complex. Leafs fans are so dumb ahaha we're so smart. DERP.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:59 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:

7 years.

He also has 5 more pts then any Bruin defenseman, and would rank 3rd in team scoring.

Hes still an elite PMD, on a very reasonable contract. You have to pay well to get a player like that.

Old
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Not sure if serious? Kaberle is a top offensive d-man and a top puck mover. Wheeler has been garbage. You need a reality check. And WTF does Kaberle not being in the playoffs have to do with anything?
That's not really fair, or accurate at all.

Old
javier

Quote:

From your lips to God's ears, please let it be so. I dont want a 36 point forward on the top six on the Leafs, do you understand?

Old
cneely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
LOL

Wheeler has been anything but garbage. He's playing excellent hockey.

Old
01-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
LOL

Wheeler has been anything but garbage. He's playing excellent hockey.
Wheelers game the last few years has been anything but excellent. He's had stretches like every player does but the what have you done for me lately factor seems to be applied by some. Not long ago Bruins fans would have dealt the guy for anything.

Closed Thread