HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can we please spend some money

Old
01-17-2011, 12:22 AM
blinkman360
Norris

vCash: 500
Can we please spend some money

next offseason? Not a ton, but enough to grab a couple of solid players to add to this team. I really think the pieces are in place, especially with another top-5 pick coming up this offseason, to ice a competitive team, we just need to add some sort of veteran leadership who aren't guys a year or two from retirement like Weight and Guerin.

The Streit and Moulson signings were great, but Wang/Snow can't go into every offseason trying to catch lightning in a bottle like that and expect great results. Right now there are a few names that interest me in the upcoming UFA class. Obviously there are the Semin's and Markov's of the world who are great players but will absolutely be out of this team's price range. However, there are several players who are a notch or two below that level that I still think would be great additions for this team while not commanding an absurd amount of money.

First of all, we need to establish this team's biggest needs. Obviously the list of needs is a long one, but many of them I see being solved by either implementing youth and/or counting on improvement and growth from young players already on the roster. Since free agent spending has been pretty non-existent for this current regime, I'll limit the UFA signings to two(which still might be pushing it, honestly).

Need #1: A veteran winger to skate alongside Tavares who can still play the game. I thought long and hard about several options here outside of going the UFA route. Anyone from Okposo, to Nino or Landeskog(who is my top choice for our draft at the moment, but I digress), to bumping Bailey up to 1st line LW and shopping around for a #2 center. I came close to just saying ******* it and sticking Okposo on the wing, but I really like the chemistry he has shown with Bailey and feel that JB is on the cusp of breaking out, and having that consistent talent on his wing will really help him start tapping into his potential. In turn, I chose the UFA route and went with Milan Hejduk. Now, I know he is getting older(he is currently 34) but I think he still has a few years left in the tank, and honestly by the time he runs out of gas I think A) his contract with us will most likely be up, and B) at that point one of Nino or Landeskog will be ready to hold down quality top-6 minutes.
Hejduk is currently making $3M and I don't see him commanding much more than that, however it has become apparent that in order for the Isles to be able to lure in quality players through the UFA market, they need to overpay. Therefor I think $4.5M per year over 2 years would be a very doable deal for both parties. As far as what I think Milan could bring to this team, I think the most important thing is just giving Tavares someone he can rely on to make plays as well. For the majority of the time, JT has to try and create his own offense and many times he has gone into scoring droughts. Right now he is hot, which is great, but once he cools off that line could become non-existent. Hejduk will give Tavares a player that can make sure JT is still hitting the scoresheet even when Tavares isn't necessarily playing well. Same with Moulson. And when all players are clicking, this line could be very good. I also like that Hejduk has been around for a while and has won a Cup, which is huge for a team full of youngsters. I like the young talent we have but I feel that it's necessary to have at least a few guys around who have been through the grind of the postseason before and have had success doing it.

Need #2: This one will probably be the much tougher of the two signings since this guy is just entering his prime and has played very well so far in his career, but I would love for this team to add Christian Ehrhoff to our blue-line core. He's a guy that could get lost behind the Markov's, the Kaberle's, and Lidstrom's of this UFA class. Even Doughty is a RFA that some team could try to make a play on. But Ehrhoff is just a very solid defenseman in all aspects of the game but probably won't break the bank because he isn't very flashy. He has good size for a defenseman at 6'2, 200; He plays sound positional hockey and from the times I've seen him play I have rarely seen him get beat or out of position; Numbers-wise he is also getting it done: 7-18-25 in 41 games and is a +11. Granted those are numbers he has playing for a much better team than ours, but I still think he'd be one of our better offensive contributors out of the defensive group we have now. Ehrhoff could become a little too expensive for Wang's taste, but I could see us being able to land him on maybe a 4 year deal at $5M per, and IMO that contract would look like a steal in a couple of years.
I really like what we are building defensively with guys like Hamonic, MacDonald, Streit and deHaan waiting in the wings. However the need for one more consistent veteran who can play top-4 minutes(and top-2 if he has to) is definately there and needs to be addressed. I like Martinek and will like to hang onto him but definately in more of a 3rd pairing role. Same with Jurcina. I think next year will basically be a "tryout" year of sorts for the ladder two, and whoever shows that they could be a part of this team when the turn the corner will stick, and whoever shows they can't should be replaced by deHaan the following season, if he appears ready(hopefully at that point he will be). Ultimately, I would love to see a defensive unit consisting of Streit, Hamonic, MacDonald, Ehrhoff, deHaan and one of Martinek/Jurcina. I think that could be a very good crew for us, especially as the younger guys there progress, and I think our goaltending instantly improves by having a blue-line they can count on.

So those are the 2 main signings I would like to see this offseason. Nothing too crazy, but definitely "big" signings by this fanbase's viewpoint. However, I kind of lied, I tried putting the full lines together for 11-12 and I was one man short. It's a 4th line player so I didn't find it necessary to list in detail but I would love for the Isles to reacquire Aaron Asham for that role. He will probably come very cheap, most likely for under $1M, but would provide us a legitimate 4th line player and not a guy like Rob Schremp trying to play in a 4th line role.

2011-2012 Lineup:

Milan Hejduk - John Tavares - Matt Moulson
Kyle Okposo - Josh Bailey - Gabriel Landeskog(can he? I think so, but that's another thread)
Jesse Joensuu - Frans Nielsen - Blake Comeau
Aaron Asham - Zenon Konopka - Matt Martin
**You guys might disagree with Joensuu getting the 3rd line spot but I'd like to see what he's capable of if given a legit chance. If you want sub him out with one of the BPort guys)

Travis Hamonic - Mark Streit
Martinek - Ehrhoff
MacDonald - Jurcina
**I only listed Martinek above A-Mac to balance out the lefty-right rotation. If you disagree with that just imagine them swapped, it really makes no difference.

DiPietro
Poulin
**DP will start, but Poulin will definitely get his share of PT. I think he'd progress more with 40% of the NHL games as opposed to 70% of the AHL games. Plus, and most importantly, he seems like a better backup option than any other goalie we have currently. The goal is to win games, isn't it?

***Not listed are Hunter(trade), Schremp(cut), Eaton(trade), Grabner(AHL), Hillen(AHL).

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:44 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
next offseason? Not a ton, but enough to grab a couple of solid players to add to this team. I really think the pieces are in place, especially with another top-5 pick coming up this offseason, to ice a competitive team, we just need to add some sort of veteran leadership who aren't guys a year or two from retirement like Weight and Guerin.

The Streit and Moulson signings were great, but Wang/Snow can't go into every offseason trying to catch lightning in a bottle like that and expect great results. Right now there are a few names that interest me in the upcoming UFA class. Obviously there are the Semin's and Markov's of the world who are great players but will absolutely be out of this team's price range. However, there are several players who are a notch or two below that level that I still think would be great additions for this team while not commanding an absurd amount of money.

First of all, we need to establish this team's biggest needs. Obviously the list of needs is a long one, but many of them I see being solved by either implementing youth and/or counting on improvement and growth from young players already on the roster. Since free agent spending has been pretty non-existent for this current regime, I'll limit the UFA signings to two(which still might be pushing it, honestly).

Need #1: A veteran winger to skate alongside Tavares who can still play the game. I thought long and hard about several options here outside of going the UFA route. Anyone from Okposo, to Nino or Landeskog(who is my top choice for our draft at the moment, but I digress), to bumping Bailey up to 1st line LW and shopping around for a #2 center. I came close to just saying ******* it and sticking Okposo on the wing, but I really like the chemistry he has shown with Bailey and feel that JB is on the cusp of breaking out, and having that consistent talent on his wing will really help him start tapping into his potential. In turn, I chose the UFA route and went with Milan Hejduk. Now, I know he is getting older(he is currently 34) but I think he still has a few years left in the tank, and honestly by the time he runs out of gas I think A) his contract with us will most likely be up, and B) at that point one of Nino or Landeskog will be ready to hold down quality top-6 minutes.
Hejduk is currently making $3M and I don't see him commanding much more than that, however it has become apparent that in order for the Isles to be able to lure in quality players through the UFA market, they need to overpay. Therefor I think $4.5M per year over 2 years would be a very doable deal for both parties. As far as what I think Milan could bring to this team, I think the most important thing is just giving Tavares someone he can rely on to make plays as well. For the majority of the time, JT has to try and create his own offense and many times he has gone into scoring droughts. Right now he is hot, which is great, but once he cools off that line could become non-existent. Hejduk will give Tavares a player that can make sure JT is still hitting the scoresheet even when Tavares isn't necessarily playing well. Same with Moulson. And when all players are clicking, this line could be very good. I also like that Hejduk has been around for a while and has won a Cup, which is huge for a team full of youngsters. I like the young talent we have but I feel that it's necessary to have at least a few guys around who have been through the grind of the postseason before and have had success doing it.

Need #2: This one will probably be the much tougher of the two signings since this guy is just entering his prime and has played very well so far in his career, but I would love for this team to add Christian Ehrhoff to our blue-line core. He's a guy that could get lost behind the Markov's, the Kaberle's, and Lidstrom's of this UFA class. Even Doughty is a RFA that some team could try to make a play on. But Ehrhoff is just a very solid defenseman in all aspects of the game but probably won't break the bank because he isn't very flashy. He has good size for a defenseman at 6'2, 200; He plays sound positional hockey and from the times I've seen him play I have rarely seen him get beat or out of position; Numbers-wise he is also getting it done: 7-18-25 in 41 games and is a +11. Granted those are numbers he has playing for a much better team than ours, but I still think he'd be one of our better offensive contributors out of the defensive group we have now. Ehrhoff could become a little too expensive for Wang's taste, but I could see us being able to land him on maybe a 4 year deal at $5M per, and IMO that contract would look like a steal in a couple of years.
I really like what we are building defensively with guys like Hamonic, MacDonald, Streit and deHaan waiting in the wings. However the need for one more consistent veteran who can play top-4 minutes(and top-2 if he has to) is definately there and needs to be addressed. I like Martinek and will like to hang onto him but definately in more of a 3rd pairing role. Same with Jurcina. I think next year will basically be a "tryout" year of sorts for the ladder two, and whoever shows that they could be a part of this team when the turn the corner will stick, and whoever shows they can't should be replaced by deHaan the following season, if he appears ready(hopefully at that point he will be). Ultimately, I would love to see a defensive unit consisting of Streit, Hamonic, MacDonald, Ehrhoff, deHaan and one of Martinek/Jurcina. I think that could be a very good crew for us, especially as the younger guys there progress, and I think our goaltending instantly improves by having a blue-line they can count on.

So those are the 2 main signings I would like to see this offseason. Nothing too crazy, but definitely "big" signings by this fanbase's viewpoint. However, I kind of lied, I tried putting the full lines together for 11-12 and I was one man short. It's a 4th line player so I didn't find it necessary to list in detail but I would love for the Isles to reacquire Aaron Asham for that role. He will probably come very cheap, most likely for under $1M, but would provide us a legitimate 4th line player and not a guy like Rob Schremp trying to play in a 4th line role.

2011-2012 Lineup:

Milan Hejduk - John Tavares - Matt Moulson
Kyle Okposo - Josh Bailey - Gabriel Landeskog(can he? I think so, but that's another thread)
Jesse Joensuu - Frans Nielsen - Blake Comeau
Aaron Asham - Zenon Konopka - Matt Martin
**You guys might disagree with Joensuu getting the 3rd line spot but I'd like to see what he's capable of if given a legit chance. If you want sub him out with one of the BPort guys)

Travis Hamonic - Mark Streit
Martinek - Ehrhoff
MacDonald - Jurcina
**I only listed Martinek above A-Mac to balance out the lefty-right rotation. If you disagree with that just imagine them swapped, it really makes no difference.

DiPietro
Poulin
**DP will start, but Poulin will definitely get his share of PT. I think he'd progress more with 40% of the NHL games as opposed to 70% of the AHL games. Plus, and most importantly, he seems like a better backup option than any other goalie we have currently. The goal is to win games, isn't it?

***Not listed are Hunter(trade), Schremp(cut), Eaton(trade), Grabner(AHL), Hillen(AHL).
I like both guys you are looking at. However i would in no way want to Pay Milan 4.5 a year. i like him as a player but i think that isa huge overpayment.

I love the idea of Ernhoff and i thinkk at 5m a year for4 years thats a real solid deal.
However i think someone will over hima longer term then that.
I am sure there are other guys out there that can help us.
I am not sure who is going to a FA but im sure there is around 5 or 6 guys that could help us.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:46 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
I like Milan's game, think his creativity and mobility would be a welcome addition to the young core. He's having a good year, I'd expect him to command 4 mil. from NYI, at the least.

I'd also look at Bieksa, has turned his game around; contributes in different ways, could be affordable, tier 2/3.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:35 AM
Groin Of Bates

Ehrhoff, arguably, has been one of Vancouver's best defensemen since being acquired. Hejduk has been an Av his entire career, he will most likely retire with them...or be a year or two removed from doing so.

Now, being a realist, do you honestly believe that Colorado and Vancouver are going to let go of two of the biggest cogs from their respective machines?

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 03:57 AM
Augscura

Put Joensuu in the AHL and keep Grabner up then that line up looks alright.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 06:44 AM
Hip Of Rick

vCash: 50
I want the Isles to spend money as much as the next guy. Bringing in proven vets that can still play (not Weight) is what this team needs more than anything. In saying that I see no us having no chance at signing either one of those guys, Hejduk will stay with the Avalanche or at least stay out west. Ehrhoff could be had for the right amount I suppose, I just do not see it here.

JJ sucks. He is getting his chance this year and the guy is not a player. He sees the game too slow at this level. Other than his size, which he does not use he has zero NHL qualities. If a guy like JJ makes the team opening night next year I would be thinking draft lotto again.

I do not want to see Poulin as a backup next season. Look at Bernier and Schneider, there is nothing wrong with letting a guy dominate the AHL for an extra year. A good backup is easy to sign especially with DP as the number 1. A good backup would jump at a chance to play here as they may get 40 games. We should go after Raycroft, Theodore, or someone like that.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:51 AM
BillD

The reason's for FA's not wanting to come here have not changed, and will not change by 7/1. It is poor reputation of the owner/management/franchise that keeps FA's away.
This is what our forward situation will loook like for 2011-12, assuming we re-up some of our own, which is likely given that we will not be able to replace them on the open market:

Moulson (re-signed to a probable 3 year deal)
Tavares
Okposo (RFA re-signed to a 5 year deal or just given a QO so he can re-up next year)
Comeau (he will hit 20 goals, maybe 25 and will get re-signed to QO or 3 year deal)
Schremp (will likely get a QO if he can't be replaced)
Grabner (cpould hit 20 goals and will likely get a QO to see what he can do in a full year)
Nielsen (signed)
Hunter (signed)
Bailey (will get at least a QO with the hope he comes around next year)
PAP (a wild card and most likely to get shown the door, but stats could get him a 1 year deal like Moulson got this year).
Martin (will be back as 4th/3rd liner)
Konopka (question mark)
Colliton (possible 13th forward for depth. 1 year 2 way deal)

That's 12 and no change of faces. Snow will bank on growth of the core youngsters and will have to hope that possibly a Nino or Petrov can push into a spot and push Schremp out (replaced by Baiiley at center).

The defense will be:
Streit (signed)
AMac (signed)
Jurcina (signed)
Hamonic (2nd year of ELC and should go to B'Port but will likey stay)
Martinek (??? reported to be going home next year. Possible 1 year deal).
deHaan (???? B'Port or LI, but I guess LI unless he bombs at training camp)
Hillen ( one more chance for 7th Dman)

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:00 AM
Chardo

If you give these free agents a blank check, would they even come here?

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Ehrhoff would be a wonderful addition.

I can't see him having any motivation to come here short of a 6 million per season offer at Campbellian like years.

Not wise and even then, not likely.

I'll say this though:
I'd salivate at a blueline featuring Streit, Erhoff, MacDonald, Hamonic, Jurcina, Eaton and Martinek (upcoming UFA) with Mottau and de Haan as depth guys.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
The defense will be:
Streit (signed)
AMac (signed)
Jurcina (signed)
Mottau (signed)
Eaton (signed)

Hamonic (2nd year of ELC and should go to B'Port but will likey stay)
deHaan (Signed - B'Port or LI, but I guess LI unless he bombs at training camp)
Hillen (Signed - one more chance for 7th Dman)
Martinek (UFA - some fans have mentioned he be going to Europe next year. Possible 1 year deal).
The bolded is just to add a wee bit more clarity to your list above...

In addition:
Wishart, Reese, Gervais and Kohn are, I believe, all RFAs. Maybe Gervais is an UFA.

Katic has one more year on his ELC.

The team will have to make a decision on Dice's favorite Shane Sims this summer. By the way, where has Dice been lately???

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
I think I figured out Snowang's plan in order to make people think they are open to spending money. They only throw offer's to the upper tier free agents knowing they won't come here to show that they are willing to spend. They won't spend on mid range free agents because I feel no matter what if they get shown the money they will definitely come here. Then after all is said and done they pick off the garbage pile and see what they can get on the cheap and sign them to one year deals hoping that the **** that they throw at the wall will stick.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:36 AM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

"Project Offseason"

Quote:
I think there are legit ways to bolster our chances.....

Here's the order I'd work in, along with a few players I'd go after:

Have a remarkably strong finish to the season - especially after the trade deadline. As much as I doubt they'll successfully climb back in the playoff race (and this happening so well at all but we can hope), a little bit of press about how the Isles managed to go something like 21-14-6 over the last 41 games with a healthier lineup would make the horrible start look more injury related than crappy team related. Negate the "yellowbellies" & pundits calling the Isles a doormat and saying the best thing to do is tank. Make the 8th & 9th seeds a little nervous looking over their shoulders down the stretch and all that....create good press going into the offseason, on the backs of this roster, if possible. Unless a drop-dead good deal comes our way, keep trades minimal at the deadline - "picks for picks" or "picks for players." No dumping bodies or salary - send the right message.

Front office: Hire a respected head coach. Not that I don't like a decent amount of what the team's done under Capuano (who's 'interim' title has been removed for the time being on islanders.nhl.com), but if you want respect, get a respected staff and either reward Capuano (if the Islanders continue to play well) by bringing him up as an assistant or keep him in Bridgeport knowing that he actually can handle an NHL coaching position (sort of.....I think he pulls goalies too much, but that something else.)

Name Streit captain. Haven't had a true captain "C" on the ice since Weight went down. They need to do something abouf that.

Suddenly, they look a tad more professional - right before free agency time. By no means do I expect Snow to get every free agent he courts, but if you don't try and try hard, you never know.

Assuming real money is spent, I'd like to see if any of these forwards make it to free agency: Erik Cole (CAR), Brad Richards (DAL), Brooks Laich (WAS), Michael Ryder (BOS), Radim Vrbata (PHX). Cole and Richards primarily because they're known for either being solid leaders (Richards) and/or being respected within the NHLPA (Cole) on top of being solid players. Laich I'd shoot for just because apples that shiny rarely make it to the ground (if at all) and Ryder would be the fanbase mercy**** if/hopefully not when we get burned the high-end FA's.

(I can totally see us landing Vrbata, and I don't think he could possibly look as clueless as Parenteau.)

Defense is a little different. With a healthy Streit, we have a #1 (but I'll always take more), with Hamonic (whom, while I wouldn't mind letting him get more seasoning in the AHL, has done nothing but impress) we have half a shutdown duo, which MacDonald completes. Jurcina's in for another year and Gervais & Hillen are....Gervais and Hillen.

To complete the D and move some of the less reliable pieces to Bridgeport, I'd hunt for Joni Pitkanen (CAR), Jim Vandermeer (EDM), Mark Stuart (BOS) and, if he makes it that far, Kevin Bieksa (VAN). Vandermeer and Stuart are again, 'tier 2' options, but considering the offered improvement, they'd still be honest signings. Bieksa or Pitkanen would be the obvious 'home run' signings.

Again, I don't mean get ALL these names -all just a list (in no order) that I'd work through as players re-sign with their current clubs or pick other teams entirely.

Moulson - Tavares - ______
Bailey - ______ - Okposo
Grabner - Nielsen - Comeau
Martin - Konopka - Colliton

Streit - _____
MacDonald - Hamonic/Martinek
Jurcina - Wishart/______

DP
Lawson (mostly)/Poulin (cup of coffee)

Fill those 4 blanks with any 2F/2D combo from above and the team looks like it took anything from a fair step forward to "BANG!". Since I know we're not getting both Laich & Richards the same offseason, think of guys like Cole as the sort of FA's that may help the team 'not stumble' if/when they have to walk on the progression of the youth a little heavier than best case scenario would suggest.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:41 AM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
I think I figured out Snowang's plan in order to make people think they are open to spending money. They only throw offer's to the upper tier free agents knowing they won't come here to show that they are willing to spend. They won't spend on mid range free agents because I feel no matter what if they get shown the money they will definitely come here. Then after all is said and done they pick off the garbage pile and see what they can get on the cheap and sign them to one year deals hoping that the **** that they throw at the wall will stick.
Yes, it looks like this pretty often. I'm hoping that last year's twitters were right: Garth offering the most money of any team to at least 2 FA's who chose the Canucks & Penguins, respectively. If someone actually says yes, we can all rejoice when Wang has to write the check.

Old
01-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmine Springs View Post
Name Streit captain. Haven't had a true captain "C" on the ice since Weight went down. They need to do something abouf that.

I think having the captaincy available could be a plus. For the right player, the opportunity to be captain could be very attractive to a potential free agent. It worked for Peca and Guerin.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:14 AM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

Quote:
I think having the captaincy available could be a plus. For the right player, the opportunity to be captain could be very attractive to a potential free agent. It worked for Peca and Guerin.
Very good point....it's a gambit, though.

While I'd offer a guy like Richards the captaincy with his contract in a heartbeat, Streit's already here - a vocal leader. I wouldn't want to disrespect Streit when the most likely reason he didn't already have it is the shoulder injury. Plus, that whole 'strong biz persona' model thing, how a strong organization should look to promote the best leader from within it's ranks as a way of avoiding losing face....like how some politicos who libel themselves will then say 'no, I always said that. I never contradict myself.'

The only guy I'd offer that to I can think of at the moment who I'd offer that to would be Richards. I don't see any other UFA of 'commendable character' enough, other than Cole getting a "A".

Old
01-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:

DP
Lawson (mostly)/Poulin (cup of coffee)

I do not want to quote the entire message. If our goalies look like that going into next season expect big problems and a bottom half finish. DP may only be good for 40 games. Poulin looks promising but he needs another year in the AHl, why rush him. Lawson flat out sucks. No one should be happy going into the season without a solid veteran backup

Old
01-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
I do not want to quote the entire message. If our goalies look like that going into next season expect big problems and a bottom half finish. DP may only be good for 40 games. Poulin looks promising but he needs another year in the AHl, why rush him. Lawson flat out sucks. No one should be happy going into the season without a solid veteran backup
And no veteran forwards (unless you count the maturation of Bailey/Tavares/KO, etc....which I wouldn't)

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
And no veteran forwards (unless you count the maturation of Bailey/Tavares/KO, etc....which I wouldn't)
Need vets all over the lineup. Colliton sucks and should only be used as a 1-2 game emergency call up. Martin is not NHL material yet and should be in the AHL learning and seeing if he can score instead of being a taller Steve Webb. Those spots should be filled by vets and should be easy to find. Of course we still need a first and 2nd line winger and a number 1,2,or 3 dman.

Old
01-17-2011, 10:53 AM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

Quote:
Oops, forgot that. Agreed...and, for the record, I was all about picking up Leighton, who isn't Partick Roy, but got pushed to waivers more because of Bobrovsky than being a crap goalie.

I haven't looked at the UFA list for goalies much yet. Who'd you approach?

Old
01-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Oops, forgot that. Agreed...and, for the record, I was all about picking up Leighton, who isn't Partick Roy, but got pushed to waivers more because of Bobrovsky than being a crap goalie.

I haven't looked at the UFA list for goalies much yet. Who'd you approach?
We should be able to land a top backup as they know they will get playing time with DP around.

Looked at the UFA list some interesting names that may be good be a good ft

Mathieu Garon, Josh Harding, Jose Theodore,Antti Niemi, Ty Conklin, Mike Smith

Last edited by Hip Of Rick: 01-17-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old
01-17-2011, 10:59 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
The bolded is just to add a wee bit more clarity to your list above...

In addition:
Wishart, Reese, Gervais and Kohn are, I believe, all RFAs. Maybe Gervais is an UFA.

Katic has one more year on his ELC.

The team will have to make a decision on Dice's favorite Shane Sims this summer. By the way, where has Dice been lately???
Yeah, thanks. I knew I missed someone on D.......the surgery brigade. Looks like we are pretty well set then for next year. Not much room for any FA's even if we could convince Wang to spend or the FA's to take.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:20 AM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

Quote:
We should be able to land a top backup as they know they will get playing time with DP around.

Looked at the UFA list some interesting names that may be good be a good ft

Mathieu Garon, Josh Harding, Jose Theodore,Antti Niemi, Ty Conklin, Mike Smith
Good call on that - I'd dig Harding or Smith in net. Tampa has enough of our players, might as well equalize.

(Random point: The Tampa Bay Lightning will win the Stanley Cup this year, fulfilling the standard that since the lockout, every cup winner has carried 3 Isles on the roster, except in the case of Anaheim, when they had Travis Green, the other Andy MacDonald and Ric Jackman. Coincidence? I think not.)

Old
01-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Good call on that - I'd dig Harding or Smith in net. Tampa has enough of our players, might as well equalize.

(Random point: The Tampa Bay Lightning will win the Stanley Cup this year, fulfilling the standard that since the lockout, every cup winner has carried 3 Isles on the roster, except in the case of Anaheim, when they had Travis Green, the other Andy MacDonald and Ric Jackman. Coincidence? I think not.)
Smith and Harding are coming from injuries and both would want to prove they could be a number 1. Type of guys worth the risk as a backup.

Old
01-17-2011, 12:03 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Yes, we're lacking a backup like, like, wait for it......Roloson.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:39 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
By the numbers, the Isles will have to spend something just to reach the cap floor.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote