HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Can we please spend some money

Old
01-17-2011, 02:56 PM
islandersfan1677

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
If you give these free agents a blank check, would they even come here?
nope they wouldn't. Would you wanna play infront of more empty seats then actual people in the prime of your career. A player like brad richards would never ever come here. The OP put in alota thought and effort and I agree but reality its a pipe dream.

islandersfan1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Isles75

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
Yes, we're lacking a backup like, like, wait for it......Roloson.
No, actually since the departure of Roloson we are lacking a starter!

DP is not, nor will he ever be a starter again. Time for everyone to let that reality settle in. DP could have been a great one, but injuries have settled that pursuit.

We now need a legitimate starter for at least the next year to allow Poulin, Kaskinen more time. Also Nilsson looks like he could be promising in the future too.

Isles75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 06:04 PM
majormet

At this point, resigning and overpaying Roloson to come back here would be a wise move for next year, it almost seems like a no-brainer.

I have always maintained that Connolly and Laich would be the right pieces along with De Haan and Nino here next year.

Connolly/JT/Okposo
Bailey/Laich/Comeau
Grabner/Nielsen/Nino
Martin/Colliton/Hunter

Steit/MacDonald
Eaton/Hamonic
De Haan/Jurcina

Bench: Mottau, Parenteau

Goalies; Roloson/DP

I am still all for hiring Tony Granato as head coach.

Connolly is injury prone but I think he would be likely to give the Island a 2nd chance. Laich likes the makeup of the Islanders.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post

Connolly is injury prone but I think he would be likely to give the Island a 2nd chance. Laich likes the makeup of the Islanders.
Laich is not coming here.

Connolly is a waste of time and money.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
Steit/MacDonald
Eaton/Hamonic
De Haan/Jurcina

Bench: Mottau
I still don't think that defense produces enough offensively to allow the Isles to compete for a playoff spot. Just IMO, of course. If you look at the teams around the league, the good ones tend to get a lot of production from their blueline. I don't see much offense from the above defensive corps.

This year's Isles' blueline has scored a grand total of 8 goals in 44 games. You can also minus 3 of those goals after the trade of Wisniewski. And apart from MacDonald, not a single defenseman has hit 10 assists on their current blueline. Granted, Streit being out is a huge reason for this, but even still, having one guy who can help out on the offense isn't enough.

The Isles definitely need help up front in terms of veteran skill in their top six, but I do think anyone who thinks their defense is fine as is is underrating just how valuable a mobile and offensively skilled blueline is in the "new NHL".

I said it in a different thread, but I think the Isles defense is still at least a #2 defenseman away (think someone like a Hamhuis or Ballard-type) from being a legitimate playoff team, but more likely a #2 and a #3 away. Right now, the Isles have Mark Streit, and then a bunch of #4-6 dependable, safe defensemen.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post

I said it in a different thread, but I think the Isles defense is still at least a #2 defenseman away (think someone like a Hamhuis or Ballard-type) from being a legitimate playoff team, but more likely a #2 and a #3 away. Right now, the Isles have Mark Streit, and then a bunch of #4-6 dependable, safe defensemen.
Absolutely, 100% spot on.

I wish more people can understand these things like you and the few members of this board do.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:29 AM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
Absolutely, 100% spot on.

I wish more people can understand these things like you and the few members of this board do.
Ditto this.....but as far as FA's go, this is why I brought up going after Joni Pitkanen - one can't just neglect to make offers 'cos of a streak of bad luck with UFA's, however unlikely they are to sign.

Random thought: a name that no one's thrown out (since his game's gone to crap in Tampa) in Simon Gagne. While I don't really want him here having seen him decline, he's an ex-40 goal scorer unlikely to get as much from another team as he could here. I don't own a crystal ball, but it looks WAY too much like the kind of tier-2 retread they'd target.

If you don't try, you never know.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:21 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Care to donate?

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:24 AM
ShiggityShwa22

im a die hard isles fan but i think we have to face reality;

there is very little appeal in coming to long island to play in a dump of a stadium and the prospect of getting a new one is almost an afterthought at this point. signing UFA's is going to be extremely difficult, even if we do have a great group of young talent.

ShiggityShwa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 06:29 AM
biturbo19

specific $$$ figures aside...

Biggest problem with this idea is that if i'm the agent for guy like Ehrhoff who will be an incredibly sought after FA if he even hits the market...i'm not even going to be seriously fielding calls from a Mr.G.Snow on that opening frenzy of free agency. Sure, by later in the day or the next, or later that week players and their agents might start listening to offers from NYI if they haven't found a fit that they like. But that top-tier of free agents are likely going to have bigger fish to fry and vastly preferred alternative destinations. The Islanders aren't competetive, have a crummy building and seemingly subpar support staff, and just a general reputation for having poor ownership and management all through the organization.

The fact of the matter is: the Isles have to prove they can walk before they run.

ie. as that young core starts to mature and show some real promise, THEN the team can start swinging for the fences, luring in some top-tier UFAs. in the meantime, any money that gets thrown would probably better be spent on player development, scouting, etc., and bringing in some decent lower tier free agents who can provide experience and support the young guys. if all that goes well, in due time...some quality free agents will give long island a look, as they'll be the 'promising young team' and have the cap space to burn.

how long that will take...could be another year, could be another 5 years, could be never. and whether the team can survive financially until then...is another issue entirely.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 08:21 AM
pens83*

Well at least they don't have to worry about spending over the cap

pens83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
be another year, could be another 5 years, could be never. and whether the team can survive financially until then...is another issue entirely.
My money is on 'will be never'. It's 2011. Even assuming excellent development of young players, returns from injury, and a NHL-ready 1st-round forward, this team can be no better than 10th in the conference in 2011-2012. In offseason 2012, Tavares is an RFA and Nielsen is a UFA. Those are our two best centers. Opening up the checkbook is going to be a serious problem at that point after another year of abysmal attendance. Keep in mind that Okposo, Bailey, and Comeau are RFA in this upcoming offseason. Expect one to try to force NYI's hand and demand a trade.

The Isles will not play a moment longer than necessary in NVMC (the words of Charles Wang and Gary Bettman). So, in offseason 2012, nobody will sign a UFA contract with the Isles that goes past 2015, assuming that the team will be sold or moved. Agents for our good RFA's won't want contracts extending further either.

What happened with Roloson was instructive, because the organization seems to be taking whatever opportunity it can to save salary.

Unless there's a shocking development with the Wilpons and Queens, I think what we're seeing is the beginning of the wrap-up before the move to Ontario or Quebec.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
2011-2012 Lineup:

Milan Hejduk - John Tavares - Matt Moulson
Can't say I like that first line at all. I like Hejduk as a player, but he's not a good fit with Tavares and Moulson. They all score goals essentially the same way. All 3 are all about having very good hands in close and around the net. Hejduk is not terribly creative or mobile, and he does not open up the ice for his linemates. In fact, he tends to play his best with a creative center who is able to open up the ice with either speed or physical play. Which is the kind of player we should be looking to play Tavares and Moulson with.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote