HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

#1B Defenseman OR A Shutdown Partner for Myers to Buffalo

Old
01-17-2011, 12:52 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

vCash: 500
#1B Defenseman OR A Shutdown Partner for Myers to Buffalo

While most other promising young defensemen are playing more vanilla even strength minutes and logging a lot of ES+PP time, Tyler Myers is one of the only young blueliners who is his team's primary shutdown defenseman and PKer.

Unfortunately, he's also expected to contribute a lot of offense, while making his partner better (at least at the beginning of the year) and the workload has proven to be too much, even with Jordan Leopold and Steve Montador having good seasons behind him. Making matters worse, is that Andrej Sekera, the only guy Myers has found consistent chemistry with, is just as accustomed to jumping into the play as Myers, which has cut down on the kid's impressive rushes. Not to say Sekera has been bad, because he's been one of the team's best defensemen, but I'd like Myers to lug the puck more and Sekera directly takes away from that.

The Sabres could use one of three types of defensemen.
A.) A shutdown guy who can move the puck through a strong breakout pass, (the only thing I really miss about Tallinder) rather than lugging the puck out, NOT named Henrik Tallinder.
B.) A shutdown defenseman to play with Sekera or whoever that would allow Myers to play the same offensive-based minutes that guys like Yandle and Edler are thriving in.
C.) A 1B defenseman who can log a lot of minutes at even strength and is offensively productive in that role.

So who's available?
Also, I should note that this isn't a move that's trying to get this team to the playoffs this year. It would be a trade for the future so guys like Roy, Ennis and Kassian are basically untouchable. This deal could also happen at the draft/in the summer.

Last edited by struckbyaparkedcar: 01-17-2011 at 01:15 AM.
struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:53 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Jan Hejda? Decent 2nd pairing shutdown defenseman. UFA at the end of the season. He's on for about $2 million per right now. We'd probably want a 2nd coming back.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:55 AM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 50
Kaberle.

Connor McDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:56 AM
thrillermiller89

go get jaybo

thrillermiller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:56 AM
JTK1967

If your looking for someone who can develop with Myers leafs Aullie is available for the right price. They had unreal chemistry at the W.J. Hes got the leggs and hits like a truck, but needs a year to season as a #5/6 before he can move up. Think those two giants (both over 6'5) would make a scary duo for years to come.

JTK1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:58 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
sign Erhoff

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Brozak
i scoreded a goal

Mike Komisarek, and no I am not joking.

Komisarek for a 4th round pick.

Last edited by Brozak: 01-17-2011 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Changed draft pick. Komisarek was not worth a 2nd rounder. Hahahahahaha lololol
Brozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:04 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
sign Erhoff
good luck with that.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:06 AM
JTK1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Put Goose Stuffs In View Post

Im a Leaf fan and hell no on the behalf on the Sabres. Komi is worth maybe a decent prospect and a 4th, not a second. maybe a third. Issue is he is a Burke pickup so it will take a second or better. Hence it wont happen

JTK1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:07 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Jan Hejda? Decent 2nd pairing shutdown defenseman. UFA at the end of the season. He's on for about $2 million per right now. We'd probably want a 2nd coming back.
Hejda was certainly a guy I was thinking about. He had a crazy two year run from 07/09 and seems to have lost his spot to Klesla as Columbus' shutdown guy more recently. Perhaps a change of scenery brings him back to "+20 on a borderline playoff team playing shutdown minutes" form. Anything specific make him lose a step?

And almost every response here was along my train of thought. Erhoff/Pitkanen/JBo/Kaberle/Hejda were all guys I considered while typing this out.

Old
01-17-2011, 01:08 AM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTK1967 View Post
If your looking for someone who can develop with Myers leafs Aullie is available for the right price. They had unreal chemistry at the W.J. Hes got the leggs and hits like a truck, but needs a year to season as a #5/6 before he can move up. Think those two giants (both over 6'5) would make a scary duo for years to come.
Aulie is a long way from being a genuine NHL defenceman, let alone a 1B guy. In Calgary, he had bascially fallen off the depth chart.

Calgary has Regehr to offer. A pure shut down guy, but could be available shortly for the right price.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:09 AM
Johnnybegood13

Not cheap at $3.6 but Sarich can be very effective and love to crush opposing "star" players.

Make an offer!

Johnnybegood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:10 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
While most other promising young defensemen are playing more vanilla even strength minutes and logging a lot of ES+PP time, Tyler Myers is one of the only young blueliners who is his team's primary shutdown defenseman and PKer.

Unfortunately, he's also expected to contribute a lot of offense, while making his partner better (at least at the beginning of the year) and the workload has proven to be too much, even with Jordan Leopold and Steve Montador having good seasons behind him. Making matters worse, is that Andrej Sekera, the only guy Myers has found consistent chemistry with, is just as accustomed to jumping into the play as Myers, which has cut down on the kid's impressive rushes. Not to say Sekera has been bad, because he's been one of the team's best defensemen, but I'd like Myers to lug the puck more and Sekera directly takes away from that.

The Sabres could use one of three types of defensemen.
A.) A shutdown guy who can move the puck through a strong breakout pass, (the only thing I really miss about Tallinder) rather than lugging the puck out, NOT named Henrik Tallinder.
B.) A shutdown defenseman to play with Sekera or whoever that would allow Myers to play the same offensive-based minutes that guys like Yandle and Edler are thriving in.
C.) A 1B defenseman who can log a lot of minutes at even strength and is offensively productive in that role.

So who's available?
Robyn Regehr?

say Regehr for Kassian and a 2nd?

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:14 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Robyn Regehr?

say Regehr for Kassian and a 2nd?
I like Regehr, but Kassian isn't getting moved and getting Regehr for this season would be a waste.

Old
01-17-2011, 01:26 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrockztheworld View Post
good luck with that.
Thanks but don't wish me, wish Darcy Regier and the Sabres management team.

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:28 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
Not cheap at $3.6 but Sarich can be very effective and love to crush opposing "star" players.

Make an offer!
Fantastic depth defenseman who can complement a second pairing well (exactly what he's doing now with Gio), but he doesn't really fit any of the categories I mentioned. He's not exactly a shutdown guy and he's not going to carry a pairing's offense.

I can watch this forever though.

Old
01-17-2011, 02:13 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
I like Regehr, but Kassian isn't getting moved and getting Regehr for this season would be a waste.
it's a good thing he has a contract for 2 more years then eh?

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Chalfdiggity3

hey, not a sabres fan, huge rangers fan actually but thought i would throw an idea out there for you guys, who actually i want the rangers to acquire at the deadline.. Chris Phillips, UFA at the end of the season and is a dominant defensive force

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Sarich and Hejda... both ex-Sabre property.

The guy they need is probably the guy they wouldn't give the third year to in his last contract, that being Toni Lydman. The Ducks won't part with him. Oh well.

01-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Hejda was certainly a guy I was thinking about. He had a crazy two year run from 07/09 and seems to have lost his spot to Klesla as Columbus' shutdown guy more recently. Perhaps a change of scenery brings him back to "+20 on a borderline playoff team playing shutdown minutes" form. Anything specific make him lose a step?

And almost every response here was along my train of thought. Erhoff/Pitkanen/JBo/Kaberle/Hejda were all guys I considered while typing this out.
I think it was mostly his defensive partners stinking. He was mostly paired with Commodore and Stralman.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Put Goose Stuffs In View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTK1967 View Post
Im a Leaf fan and hell no on the behalf on the Sabres. Komi is worth maybe a decent prospect and a 4th, not a second. maybe a third. Issue is he is a Burke pickup so it will take a second or better. Hence it wont happen
Komi's also a rightie and that presents the problem of having one of them playing his off-hand side. Francois Beauchemin on the other hand might be a better fit.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:30 AM
RainingRats

Bryan Allen

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:47 AM
CaptainCrunch67

Quote:
Fantastic depth defenseman who can complement a second pairing well (exactly what he's doing now with Gio), but he doesn't really fit any of the categories I mentioned. He's not exactly a shutdown guy and he's not going to carry a pairing's offense.

I can watch this forever though.
One thing with Sarich is there is the intangible that the guy is a fantastic mentor with young defenseman. You're right though, Sarich wouldn't be a first line guy who could play with Myer's on the first pairing. But Sarich is also very effective when he plays his game and doesn't get over saturated with minutes.

If I had a young blue line, I'd bring Sarich in to bring them along.

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:56 AM
CanadienKid25

Any interest in a Jason Demers for Connolly deal?

CanadienKid25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:03 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Bouwmeester for Vanek

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote