HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Samuelsson might be traded

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2011, 06:38 PM
  #26
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator
 
Chairman Maouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fire Lake
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,677
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoWarrior View Post
Assuming the Nucks can keep their major roster players, there is no reason to trade Bieksa. Even if Bieska starts playing poorly again, they can just switch Salo into the number 4 spot and Bieksa into the number 5/6 spot. Bieksa has been playing his best hockey for the last 20 games since he was on the shutdown line with Mitchell. That being said, he was AWFUL for the first 20 games or so. HFboard criticisms were totally valid. A Bieksa dumb play drinking game would have got you drunk. Hopefully he plays like he is right now in the playoffs.
Bieksa was not awful the first 20 games. He played average to well considering his salary. Had a couple bad games - one when he had the flu. The scrutiny he was under from the HF crowd was immense and many of the judgments of his play were biased because of preconceived notions.

Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 06:43 PM
  #27
MAGICMAN1963
Registered User
 
MAGICMAN1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: RED DEER ALBERTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 935
vCash: 500
Just leave the team the way it is and hope Salo says i cant play this season.
Maybe a small move for the 4th line,but dont break the chemistry this team has right now.

MAGICMAN1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 06:49 PM
  #28
Nedved1*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Bieksa was not awful the first 20 games. He played average to well considering his salary. Had a couple bad games - one when he had the flu. The scrutiny he was under from the HF crowd was immense and many of the judgments of his play were biased because of preconceived notions.
I never thought he was bad either. Isn't the guy a 5th round draft pick? Hes turned out to be outstanding .

Nonis overpaid him but thats not Bieksa's fault. And hes one of our Alternate Captains. The team seems to think he is doing well.

Nedved1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 06:53 PM
  #29
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On
 
Winroba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved1 View Post
I never thought he was bad either. Isn't the guy a 5th round draft pick? Hes turned out to be outstanding .

Nonis overpaid him but thats not Bieksa's fault. And hes one of our Alternate Captains. The team seems to think he is doing well.
3 rounder

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 06:54 PM
  #30
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator
 
Chairman Maouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fire Lake
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,677
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved1 View Post
I never thought he was bad either. Isn't the guy a 5th round draft pick? Hes turned out to be outstanding .

Nonis overpaid him but thats not Bieksa's fault. And hes one of our Alternate Captains. The team seems to think he is doing well.
I don't think Nonis necessarily overpaid him. He ran into some pretty serious freak injuries that set him back big time. Now he's finally healthy for a lengthy period of time and playing up to that salary (if not more).

We've been over the source of his decline the last couple of years countless times in the Canucks section. Everyone has a theory it seems and everyone is entitled to it. I just think he lost his mojo because of injuries. Now it's back and that's great.

Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:02 PM
  #31
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs38 View Post
Burke is an idiot for not signing Torres even when Torres wanted to sign with us. (Atleast it was rumored he had said he wanted to)

A 3rd line of Torres - _____ - Armstrong would be such a great 3rd line
Some players look great when they have Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Luongo and others winning all the games for then. Torres is vastly overated.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:07 PM
  #32
Nachoman AlfieSavage*
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eating nachos up top
Posts: 2,245
vCash: 500
Ive said this for a while, to much criticism. I think keeping Samuelson on the third line while trying out guys like Tambs, Hansen and soon to be Shirokov on the second line is evidence that they are testing the depth waters, and preparing to deal him. Samuelson is simply awful, and i hope they trade him as soon as possible. I dont care what the return is, just get rid of him.

As for Ballard.... this one is tough. I agree that Bieksa is outplaying him, but Canucks gave up a first and Grabner for him (bernier was a throw in). Could Gillis swallow his pride and unload Ballard after just recently giving up a first and a good prospect for him? I dont know, but i can say with certainty i sure wouldnt want to.


edit: Dealing Torres makes absolutely no sense. Guy is a steal for what he can bring to a playoff series.


Last edited by Nachoman AlfieSavage*: 01-17-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Nachoman AlfieSavage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:11 PM
  #33
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army
 
Peter Sidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,675
vCash: 500
Bogosian is a healthy scratch for Atlanta. Just saying

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:12 PM
  #34
Bgav
We Stylin'
 
Bgav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,100
vCash: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Bogosian is a healthy scratch for Atlanta. Just saying
dont tease us

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:13 PM
  #35
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan
 
EpochLink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,489
vCash: 500
Keep Ballard and Torres, there doing their job fine.

Sameulsson on the other hand...I've never seen such a frustrating player in my life, besides post lockout Bertuzzi on the Canucks..

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:14 PM
  #36
MarkusNaslund19
Registered User
 
MarkusNaslund19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country:
Posts: 1,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
And Torres wanted to play for his home town.
He can play with Rick Nash!!!!1111



Note: I'm not picking on you specifically, but how many times can we hear this without it ever coming to fruition?

MarkusNaslund19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:15 PM
  #37
Jesus Teemu
Registered User
 
Jesus Teemu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,429
vCash: 50
God I hope he isn't traded. He hasn't been good as last year but he is nice guy to have in the playoffs.

I don't think MG will trade him though.

Jesus Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:18 PM
  #38
Dean Ambrose
Moderator
Just a little crazy
 
Dean Ambrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,902
vCash: 133
Considering the Canucks are a top team, I find it really hard to believe they would move players like Samuelsson, Ballard and Torres.

__________________
He's got the whole world in his hands...
Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:24 PM
  #39
0123456789*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
No problem, I've mathed and re-mathed it about a hundred different times and this one works the best.

A few extra notes:

The reason Volpatti & co need to be waived are because you can only waive players who have been called up post Trade Deadline apparently

All the #'s make sense and I've gone through it a bunch of times

I also messaged Mike Gillis all this information on twitter
Yes but when Salo goes on a conditioning stint then the cap exemption stops so the team would need to clear space at that point. Like you said Bolduc, Volpati and Rome would clear enough but would leave the team with only 11 forwards until the playoffs, not a ideal situation. However Bolduc and Volpati are both exempt from waivers so only Rome would need to clear waivers, but Rome is exempt from re-entry waivers so its not too risky.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:29 PM
  #40
0123456789*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
Samuelson is a good player, peoples expectations are too high after last year. I would be shocked if Gillis would trade him.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:16 PM
  #41
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On
 
Winroba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post
Yes but when Salo goes on a conditioning stint then the cap exemption stops so the team would need to clear space at that point. Like you said Bolduc, Volpati and Rome would clear enough but would leave the team with only 11 forwards until the playoffs, not a ideal situation. However Bolduc and Volpati are both exempt from waivers so only Rome would need to clear waivers, but Rome is exempt from re-entry waivers so its not too risky.
Not true, they remain on LTIR until the end of the conditioning stint.

Rome isn't exempt from re-entry waivers but it doesn't really matter.... he's not that important.

Stick Alberts on the 4th line for the last few games and it's really not that big of a deal. We've got a healthy point cushion over the rest of the division as it is.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:41 PM
  #42
avant
Registered User
 
avant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Seoul
Country: South Korea
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
good one. i lol'ed

avant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:43 PM
  #43
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 796
Samuelsson has been a clutch player for us, I hope we don't trade him.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:02 PM
  #44
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War
 
AndyPipkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,488
vCash: 341
Ballard hasn't even reached his regular form yet. What a joke.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:05 PM
  #45
crazyforhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,468
vCash: 500
it looks like the swedish papers are foloowing the lead of a few Van papers that have been specualting about what te canucks are going to do.....as far as I know MG has said zilch to our reporters

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:08 PM
  #46
JuniorNelson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E.Vancouver
Country: Australia-Aboriginal
Posts: 4,609
vCash: 50
Samuelsson's production is not out of line with his career numbers. Last season was.

I think this is the guy the Canucks expected. They are probably fine with that.

I doubt they move him. A lot. Recent injuries might alleviate Vancouver's cap issues, removing that impediment to Salo's return. Since there are two defencemen involved, Ballard isn't expendable, either.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:19 PM
  #47
0123456789*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Not true, they remain on LTIR until the end of the conditioning stint.

Rome isn't exempt from re-entry waivers but it doesn't really matter.... he's not that important.

Stick Alberts on the 4th line for the last few games and it's really not that big of a deal. We've got a healthy point cushion over the rest of the division as it is.
Well you are wrong. Its correct that the player remains on the LTIR list, however the players salary is no longer exempt from the salary cap. So once the player goes on a conditioning stint the team must make room with the salary.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:22 PM
  #48
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,283
vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusNaslund19 View Post
He can play with Rick Nash!!!!1111



Note: I'm not picking on you specifically, but how many times can we hear this without it ever coming to fruition?
Quote:
Raffi Torres is on his way to Buffalo, as he's the latest player to be traded in the final months of his contract. He hasn't scored more than 20 goals since 2006, but he's on the doorstep this season with 19 goals in 60 games with Columbus. He'll give the Sabres some needed scoring punch and give Ryan Miller some support on the other side of the ice.

Of course, the Sabres would prefer to be able to re-sign Torres this summer (you'd think), but perhaps they won't even have the chance.

The Hockey News scout Mike Seidel is saying that Torres is bragging that there's no way he'll sign a contract extension, because he plans on going to Toronto this summer.
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ng-in-toronto/

There were rumors like this everywhere at the time, but i guess Burke had no interest?

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:25 PM
  #49
Nachoman AlfieSavage*
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eating nachos up top
Posts: 2,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Samuelsson's production is not out of line with his career numbers. Last season was.

I think this is the guy the Canucks expected. They are probably fine with that.

Really? Its not about offensive numbers.

This is not embellishment. 80% of the time Samuelson touches the puck transitioning through the neutral zone or in the offensive zone the play dies. He either coughs it up, makes a bad pass, shoots it wide or dumps it to nobody. He has absolutely no confidence and no inherent offensive awareness. On top of this, he is an absolute scrub defensively. I cant count the number of times the puck was 1 stride away from him which he has ample time to get to for a clearing attempt, but instead chooses to just stand there in position and watch as the other team continues the cycle. He is absolute garbage.

So, they are ok with this? A team which prides itself on being strong defensively, keeping guys to the outside and playing a puck possession game is ok with this? Really?

Oh, and i forgot to mention he has no place on this team. The above mentioned issues are why he isnt on the top 2 lines. Those lines are offensive lines expected to produce, and he has proven himself to be a hindrance. His weak cycling game and poor offensive awareness renders him less useful with the Sedins than Burrows. Sure, he can produce with the Sedins, but so could Aanson Carter. Equally, i might add. He has no place on the second speed line. As he isnt fast, and also because of above mentioned issues. His status on the third line is in question also. With Malhotra's A grade defensive game and torres' physicality while chipping in offensively, Samuelson is simply out of place. He is just no good defensively. So, where does he fit? Hes on the third line for a reason, and even there he is more a hindrance than useful. He no longer has any place on this team.

Mark my words, if he isnt traded its not because they dont want to trade him, its because they couldnt find a reasonable offer. This guy is by far one of the worst players on the entire team. He is a momentum killer and a defensive liability. Hes utter garbage and needs to be traded. I dont care what for, just get rid of him.

Nachoman AlfieSavage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:26 PM
  #50
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On
 
Winroba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post
Well you are wrong. Its correct that the player remains on the LTIR list, however the players salary is no longer exempt from the salary cap. So once the player goes on a conditioning stint the team must make room with the salary.
Alright, well either way, Salo still won't be ready for a few months so this whole thing may be unnecessary. Plus, Rome just went out with an MCL injury so that offers us some more space to work with.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.