Notices

Michael Farber Just Had to Go There...

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2011, 06:51 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Michael Farber Just Had to Go There...

I don't have a direct link but in the video section there's a clip by Michael Farber interviewing Kane, Stewart, Bufflin, and Oduya about how Atlanta has four black players on the team and for the first time a goal was scored and assisted by three black players. I'm one of those people who feel attention really shouldn't be drawn to this type of thing unless one of those four players requested it. Judging by the comments from Kane and Rick Dudley attention really shouldn't be brought to it. I respect them as players regardless of the colour of their skin. I don't really understand why Farber did this bit, but I'm not sure it's appropriate and I think those players felt a little awkward. I think MLK is a great man and a humanitarian for his efforts, but I don't think this is a proper way to remember him. Thoughts?

Old
01-17-2011, 08:47 PM
nnynetpotato

vCash: 500
I think a Willie O'Ree or Herb Carnegie story would be good.

Old
01-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
Thoughts?
One of them should've made a mean face into the camera after snatching the microphone away from Farber and said "We takin' over..."

What's the big deal for Farber talking about it? It would be a story if 3 Asians did it too.

Old
01-17-2011, 09:17 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Of all days, I think this is the most appropriate day for this subject to be raised.

On MLK Jr. Day, on a team actually located in the town he lived in and is buried in.

Too bad the local rag didn't think of it first.

Old
01-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

i think it's kind of sad that people think it's inappropriate. proves there are still racial tensions in america.

we won't truly have accomplished anything until we can openly talk about race without having to worry if we are being politically correct or not.

Old
01-17-2011, 09:40 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Did he ask if it was to draw more locals to the games?

Old
01-17-2011, 09:55 PM
TMLeafer
Bring him home.

Not sure if it'll work in the US:

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip402980#clip402980

Old
01-17-2011, 09:58 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Gracias, and congrats to your fans for seeing their team play much better lately.

That was a fantastic piece. Too bad hardly any Atlantans will see it.

Thanks for sharing!

Old
01-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Aaronxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
i think it's kind of sad that people think it's inappropriate. proves there are still racial tensions in america.

we won't truly have accomplished anything until we can openly talk about race without having to worry if we are being politically correct or not.
the other opposite to your statement is "when will people stop feeling the need to talk about race like it matters?"

Old
01-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronxxx View Post
the other opposite to your statement is "when will people stop feeling the need to talk about race like it matters?"
true, but one comes before the other.

Old
01-17-2011, 10:55 PM
fatschoonerrat

I just saw that. It's fine. I agree that we're still in a weird place when people still wonder if it was the right thing to do or not. I assume the OP means it seems gratuitous for a big media company making an issue of it (esp. a white Canadian). I give TSN the benefit of the doubt. They're just trying to create programming and do journalism. It's easy to criticize things like that. I think the piece was well done.

Old
01-18-2011, 10:39 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post

First of all - openly talking about race begins and ends with one concept: There is only 1 race and that is the human race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Of all days, I think this is the most appropriate day for this subject to be raised.

On MLK Jr. Day, on a team actually located in the town he lived in and is buried in.

Too bad the local rag didn't think of it first.
I don't think it's appropriate because I think what Farber is talking about is exactly what MLK was hoping to eradicate from society some day. I think recognizing the four player's skin colour defeats the purpose. Dudley even said [when I watch a guy playing I could care less what colour he is.] I think bringing attention to it just throws gas on the fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
What's the big deal for Farber talking about it? It would be a story if 3 Asians did it too.
As I mentioned above, I think bringing attention to it defeats ideology of MLK. I remember during an interview w/ Ray Emery by THN they asked if being black was a problem and he said something to the effect of "not as much of a problem as Amerikans make it out to be". I typically raise opinions that don't jive w/ a majority of hf'ers so if you think the interview w/ them was great then so be it. I just wish hockey players would be recognized for their accomplishments not for the colour of their skin.

Old
01-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Man Hole Inspector*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
First of all - openly talking about race begins and ends with one concept: There is only 1 race and that is the human race.

I don't think it's appropriate because I think what Farber is talking about is exactly what MLK was hoping to eradicate from society some day. I think recognizing the four player's skin colour defeats the purpose. Dudley even said [when I watch a guy playing I could care less what colour he is.] I think bringing attention to it just throws gas on the fire
Thats an absolutely ridiculous way of thinking. Michael Farber did this on Martin Luther King day, a holiday dedicated to a great African American. All Farber was doing is showing how much we have evolved as a society over the past 60 years. It's a huge accomplishment and the players should know! This sport is slowly integrating all cultures of the world.. I think you have a bigtime misconception here, Farber was only giving credit where it was due to these players for there perseverance despite racial barriers.

This isn't a racial issue so what Dudley says really has no correlation to this interview. Your comparing Dudley not having a problem with a hockey players race vs. Farber giving credit to something that is historic in the NHL..

Old
01-27-2011, 04:01 PM
KaraLupin
카라

This piece was in good taste, but I understand what you're saying..

At what point do ppl stop treating us like we have overcome great odds to grow up and like hockey, and just accept that it's normal and nothing special for other colors to play hockey.

It's 2011, it's not some great miracle anymore that we are doing these things. You think they did a memorial for the first time a white guy dunked a basketball?

Old
01-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
I assume the OP means it seems gratuitous for a big media company making an issue of it (esp. a white Canadian).
Farber is an American now residing in Canada, FYI.

From CNNSI...

"Born and raised in New Jersey, Farber is a 1973 graduate of Rutgers University where he was Phi Beta Kappa."

Closed Thread