Thoughts on Patrik Noren of Leksand?

Old
01-17-2011, 09:25 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Thoughts on Patrik Noren of Leksand?

Hey Swedish HFers...

I've seen a little bit of video over the last few months of Patrik Noren, the defenseman playing for Leksand in the Allsvenskan, I believe. While the footage was relatively brief, I really liked what I saw. Moved the puck real well, battled a lot despite his small stature.

I was just wondering if anyone who has seen more of the kid had any insights. I think he's draft eligible this year.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 12:02 PM
cheerupmurray

I don't have much to add. I really like Norén, he is a two-way defenceman that plays a mature game and is really calm under pressure. Theres not much buzz about this kid, so I guess some team is going to make a big steal

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:02 PM
thefeebster

I want to get some more opinions, i've had my eye on Patrik Noren as a guy to watch for most of the season, but still have not heard much about him. Who does his playing style compare to the most? Also, seems like he will grow one or two inches as his brother is listed at 6 feet.

Saw him listed in the top 50 swede list at 36. So i beg the question, what about him does he need to work on or why is he ranked much lower than most would be with his skill set? Is it just the Allsvenskan effect or something more glaring in his play?

I think he could be a huge steal in the late rounds.

Anyways, here's my research on him, as i'm sure someone will draft this guy one day and people will want to look.

Quote:
D Patrik Norén
2010-11 Team: Leksand (Allsvenskan)
2010-11 Statline: 9 GP, 0-3-3, +1, 8 PIM

Another bantam-weight rearguard with off-the-charts hockey sense, 5’11 168 lbs Patrik Norén prefers to play instead as if he is 6’3 and 220 lbs. A fierce hitter- especially in open ice- Norén has acquitted himself well against professional competition since joining Leksand’s top club in the Allsvenskan. In addition to his no-holds-bar physical game, the diminutive rearguard has demonstrated tremendous poise when pressured one-on-one. In the offensive zone, Norén is a treat to watch as he utilizes his excellent mobility and whip-like passes to work the point. A strong comparable to Detroit’s Niklas Kronwall, Norén racked up 68 PIM in just 34 J20 games last season as he helped Leksand’s junior club to the league championship.
http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...bugg&Itemid=97

Quote:
17-year-old Patrik Norén is now ready for two years with Leksand IF. The young defenseman made a long and successful trip last season when he started the year in Leksand J18 and ended with both games of a team and national teams and with a small gold medal in the LIF J20.
- We have high hopes for Patrick and see great potential in him, "said Niklas Eriksson.

Niklas Eriksson trained J20 last season and knows exactly what he can get out of the young defenseman.
- Patrick is an all-round defender with very good movement. He has a nice skating and is always looking for creative solutions when he has the puck.

Patrick explains that he always tries to play easily and that he did not want to complicate the game situation. Something that he may have learned from the model and also "rumpmasen" Niklas Lidstrom.

- Patrik's number one strength is his great winner's. He competes every day and really want to win all their operations. In addition, he has a good timing and a superb range of assessment which will be valuable to our game plan in the winter.
http://www.leksandsif.se/6601.php

I think this is the video Sting36e is talking about.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 01:41 AM
cheerupmurray

I have watched a couple of games with him, but for a better response you could hope for a Leksand fan to post.

To me he looked like a classic puck moving d-man that has a nice twoway game and good vision and passes. He is a good skater and pretty calm under pressure. The major flaw is the obvious, he is a bit on the short side and needs to fill out his frame.
He suffered a injury that made him miss the end of the season which probably will hurt his draft stock.

I think he is one of the best swedish d-man in this draft.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 04:14 AM
Pellegrino

I like him. Intelligent, "cool" D-man. Can't see him make it in North America though.

Pellegrino is offline   Reply With Quote