Notices

Why doesn't Karlsson play more?

Old
01-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
Why doesn't Karlsson play more?

Habs fan here...I was happy to see Karlsson come in tonight (besides the obvious 'we were winning 4-0 woo' comment) mainly because I've been wanting to get a closer look at him.

He has an intriguing skill set and seems to be a pretty competitive guy. What can you tell me about him, and rather, why hasn't he played more with the way Kipper has struggled? Is it a politics thing, or am I just overrating him?

PS - Good game tonight, you showed some real character getting back into it that way.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:28 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Kipper goes out there and tries his best every night, while he doesn't get the results this year, his past play and what he has done for the franchise over the years has to do with why he is and will remain the number one man. But I also would like to see karlson play more, he definitely has the assets to be a good goaltender in the NHL.

tyflames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Dallas Flames Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
Kipper goes out there and tries his best every night, while he doesn't get the results this year, his past play and what he has done for the franchise over the years has to do with why he is and will remain the number one man. .
Maybe, but it's more like they dont pay him 5.8M to be a backup goalie....

He has to do real bad to lose his job....

Dallas Flames Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:07 PM
tfong

Hasn't Karlsson played like 3 of the last 6 now? Thats pretty good for a backup to Kipper lol. He lacks consistency still and his positioning is sometimes all over the place. There is the determination and potential there but I think he is a long ways from being a starting goaltender.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:52 AM
Lunatik*

I think Karlsson has earned the right to play more... he has been impressive in all but 2 appearances thus far...
  • he has a .909sv% or higher in 9 of 10 appearances with more than 20 minutes played... .920 or higher in 5 of those games
  • he has allowed 2 goals or less in 9 of 11 appearances
  • he has backstopped 2 comebacks
  • every game he hasn't won was a 1 goal loss (or 2 goals with an empty netter)

fact of the matter is karlsson has pretty good numbers for a guy that has only seen the ice for 572 minutes and 11gp... among goaltenders with 10-15 games (15 goalies), his GAA sits 5th and SV% is 10th (the Avs game killed that)...

and just for fun... without the game against the Avs Karlsson has a .919sv% and 2.10GAA

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:01 AM
Triple Deke

This is starting to sound like Vancouver at start of year with Luongo vs Schneider.
Kipper is our #1. He's played bad before and worked through it.
Karlsson is good enough goalie to spell Kipper, but I think his playing time is adequate right now.
With Flames trying to get to playoffs, Kipper gives them the best chance to win every night.

Triple Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:18 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Deke View Post
This is starting to sound like Vancouver at start of year with Luongo vs Schneider.
Kipper is our #1. He's played bad before and worked through it.
Karlsson is good enough goalie to spell Kipper, but I think his playing time is adequate right now.
With Flames trying to get to playoffs, Kipper gives them the best chance to win every night.
no one is saying Karlsson should get Kippers spot... just that Karlsson should play more... playing him every 4th game from here on out wouldn't be a bad thing

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote