Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline

Old
01-18-2011, 01:01 AM
scoringmachine

vCash: 500
Trade Deadline

Just want you know what do you think the Flames will do at the deadline.

I think this years deadline will not have any big splashes. Feaster has said on many occasions that he would like to keep the core group on the Flames. Currently the core group is Iginla and Kipper. You could make a case for Reghre, Jay-Bo, and Girodano as core players. Feaster would want high draft picks and maybe some prospects, but that usually does not happen at deadline day. Former GM Sutter handcuffed the team with too many NTC/NMC clauses and those are the players who would give the team high draft picks or prospects or both.

If I were in Feaster's shoes I would tell every player with NTC/NMC that if we have a slim or no chance to make the playoff a week before trade deadline I will inform you that I am going to tell all the GMs to make an offer to any of you guys and if I feel that a team has given me an offer I cannot refuse I will talk with you and see if you would waive your NTC/NMC for the better of the team.

This would never happen, but the team needs to somehow reduce the number of NTC/NMC and that will not happen at the deadline. But the deadline is a good start then continue at the draft.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:05 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoringmachine View Post
Feaster would want high draft picks and maybe some prospects, but that usually does not happen at deadline day.
Ya it doesn't happen when your a buyer like the Flames have been the past 5 years but they are a seller now.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:17 AM
DDxDino

If the Flames keep playing the way they are - Iggy isn't going to get traded...

If they start slumping, all bets are off the table. But for now, I think we're sitting at Status quo..

"If the team continues to gather points and win their ‘mini-series’ it is safe to assume that the Flames will attempt to put the best team on the ice game in and game out.

An NHL team will almost always prioritize a shot at the playoffs (even if it is in eighth place) over giving up on the season and trading away their greatest assets.

For that reason, Flames fans can come to expect the status quo over the next few weeks – assuming the Flames can continue to collect points at this pace. Under this scenario (whether or not you believe it is possible), one of the only big name players that Feaster may move is Robyn Regehr. The highly effective shutdown defenseman would be an admirable addition to many clubs looking for some more support on their blueline (most likely in the Eastern conference). In return the Flames would be looking for some offensive talent that could help them not only now – but in the future as well."

http://nhlhotstove.com/riding-the-ca...er-whats-next/

DDxDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 07:23 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Will Babchuk be traded?

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

It legit scares me how management might tackle the deadline. This team has a very slim chance for making the playoffs. I don't want to see them keep playing well till the deadline, stand pat and then crash and burn post deadline and have nothing to show for our UFA's.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Boomstick

I don't know, it's pretty funny. Everyone on hfboards says the Flames are in bad shape, blah blah blah, we've all heard the flak, yet if you go to the trade rumor boards, everyone wants what the Flames have.

I find it quite interesting, and can't wait to see what happens. I'd definitely be interested in moving some salary for a new future, it's a business, it has to be done every once in awhile.

Love Iginla, and it would make sense to get some prospects and picks for him and to go younger, but I would be in absolute shock if he was moved.

I think as fans we just play the waiting game.

Boomstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomstick View Post
I don't know, it's pretty funny. Everyone on hfboards says the Flames are in bad shape, blah blah blah, we've all heard the flak, yet if you go to the trade rumor boards, everyone wants what the Flames have.
For every proposal made by other teams, there are twenty TERRIBLE proposals made by Flames fans. Its getting painful to read that section lately.

The thing to keep in mind is that Calgary is one of few teams that should be a seller that actually has several attractive pieces that could be moved.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:35 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but according to this article in the Globe and Mail, two months ago Washington offered Tomas Fleischmann for Robyn Regehr.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1874470/

Good on Sutter for not making this deal. I would have made that deal if it were Sarich for Fleischmann, but there's no way Fleischmann is worth Regehr straight across.

Last edited by StreakingRed: 01-18-2011 at 01:47 PM.
StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:55 PM
BurnEmUp

Soemthing more palatable would have been:

Sarich

for

Fleischmann

..or if they were insistent on Regehr:

Regehr
Glencross

for

Fleischmann
Erskine
Prospect or pick (Eakin? / 1st?)

BurnEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Lunatik*

would this not fit in the other dozen threads dedicated to this?

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but according to this article in the Globe and Mail, two months ago Washington offered Tomas Fleischmann for Robyn Regehr.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1874470/

Good on Sutter for not making this deal. I would have made that deal if it were Sarich for Fleischmann, but there's no way Fleischmann is worth Regehr straight across.
No doubt, the Caps would of needed to add more. Sutter has always held Regehr high in regard, obviously the reason that he refused the Caps offer.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:47 PM
The Gnome

If I were feaster at the deadline and we had a shot at the playoffs I'd be trying to dump these players.

Stajan
Kotalik
moss
jokinen
sarich
staios
babchuk

Players I would try to aquire:

C - Jordan Stall - PIT
LW - Ville Leino - PHI
LW - Steve Ott - Dal
D - Matt Carkner - OTT

Don't have time to think of a way to accomplish this but that would be the start to my plan.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:51 PM
DBU
Bars for Eons

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
If I were feaster at the deadline and we had a shot at the playoffs I'd be trying to dump these players.

Stajan
Kotalik
moss
jokinen
sarich
staios
babchuk

C - Jordan Stall - PIT
LW - Ville Leino - PHI
LW - Steve Ott - Dal
D - Matt Carkner - OTT

Don't have time to think of a way to accomplish this but that would be the start to my plan.
Staal* would take more than any of those guys you listed.
Leino would be great, but why would Philly trade him?
What do you see in Ott?
What do you see in Carkner?

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:09 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas View Post
Staal* would take more than any of those guys you listed.
Leino would be great, but why would Philly trade him?
What do you see in Ott?
What do you see in Carkner?
Granted more pieces would have to be used to aquire these players. The flames guys I listed were ones who hurt this team imo.

Ott has the work ethic that this team really lacks. Same can be said for Carkner, he adds another physical dimension and is consistent. The more he plays the less stupid penalties I see him take.

Old
01-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Granted more pieces would have to be used to aquire these players. The flames guys I listed were ones who hurt this team imo.

Ott has the work ethic that this team really lacks. Same can be said for Carkner, he adds another physical dimension and is consistent. The more he plays the less stupid penalties I see him take.
how the hell are Jokinen, Moss & Sarich hurting the team?... an idiotic fanbase hurts the team more than they do

Old
01-18-2011, 07:02 PM
DBU
Bars for Eons

I'd rather not have Ott... if we're going to get a guy who plays with 100% effort, I'd rather get one who can score consistently. And Carkner I don't know much about, but he seems like at most a #6/7 guy. We have a few of those in Pardy and Mikkelson.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 07:59 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
D - Matt Carkner - OTT

What could we possibly need Carkner for?

Old
01-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Signature
Capitano Giordano

Quote:

Stajan
Kotalik
moss
jokinen
sarich
staios
babchuk

C - Jordan Stall - PIT
LW - Ville Leino - PHI
LW - Steve Ott - Dal
D - Matt Carkner - OTT

The players I bolded - how exactly are they bad for the Flames? They're not the BEST, but how are they bad? Hell, Stajan is borderline - I just don't like his contract. If anything, I'd put Hagman on your list to ship out instead. In fact, they're great for our team... mostly as trade bait.

As for the suggested players, Staal would be the only one worth going after at trade deadline / in the offseason, because we'd give up pieces like Jokinen + Sarich + maybe Glencross (overpayment but worth it in the long term?) for a team that needs a young future.
Plenty of players we have in development would probably be a Carkner or Ott.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 11:16 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
how the hell are Jokinen, Moss & Sarich hurting the team?... an idiotic fanbase hurts the team more than they do
Yeah I hate you too buddy...

If no one can see that Jokinen is useless then it's just lost time arguing. The guy has zero hockey IQ and is the type of player that will never lead this team. That is what management expects of him with the type of minutes he gets. His point totals mean nothing when he can't back it up with quality play.

Moss just eats up icetime that we could give to backlund. and he makes a decent chunk of money, that could be utilized elsewhere.

Sarich is not getting it done this year. big cap hit and a huge step back from his bruising physical game. He is also prone to taking stupid penalties which drive me crazy.

Old
01-19-2011, 11:19 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
What could we possibly need Carkner for?
Carkner would be perfect to replace sarich, and is a better dman then him. The guy is very consistent on a crap team, and he brings a huge physical dimension to any team. he brings that 100% effort level every night that this team lacks.

Old
01-19-2011, 11:22 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keys View Post
The players I bolded - how exactly are they bad for the Flames? They're not the BEST, but how are they bad? Hell, Stajan is borderline - I just don't like his contract. If anything, I'd put Hagman on your list to ship out instead. In fact, they're great for our team... mostly as trade bait.

As for the suggested players, Staal would be the only one worth going after at trade deadline / in the offseason, because we'd give up pieces like Jokinen + Sarich + maybe Glencross (overpayment but worth it in the long term?) for a team that needs a young future.
Plenty of players we have in development would probably be a Carkner or Ott.
You have your awnser in the bold. For the money spent on these players you could have so much more. That's why this club is not a playoff team, and even if they slip in don't expect much.

Guys like Stajan and Jokinen bring this team down, because they are relied upon to be a big part of this team. Mediocrity won't get you anywhere, and that is exactly what these players are.

Old
01-19-2011, 03:43 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Carkner would be perfect to replace sarich, and is a better dman then him.

Really?

Cory Sarich
GP: 40
G: 1
A: 8
PTS: 9
+/-: +5

Matt Carkner
GP: 41
A: 4
PTS: 5
+/-: -1

Quote:
The guy is very consistent on a crap team, and he brings a huge physical dimension to any team. he brings that 100% effort level every night that this team lacks.

You didn't describe anything there that can't be used to describe Sarich. Unless you're talking strictly contracts, I don't see how Carkner is an upgrade on Sarich.

Old
01-19-2011, 03:52 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Really?

Cory Sarich
GP: 40
A: 8
PTS: 9
+/-: +5

Matt Carkner
GP: 41
A: 4
PTS: 5
+/-: -1

You didn't describe anything there that can't be used to describe Sarich. Unless you're talking strictly contracts, I don't see how Carkner is an upgrade on Sarich.
Have you watched him play? The guy is a way bigger physical prescence then Sarich and brings an intense effort every shift at a fraction of the price. Calgary's biggest problem is effort consistency from period to period, shift to shift. Why bother comparing point totals for 2 defensmen who are 9 and 5 respectivly? That means absolutly nothing with regards to their value.

Old
01-19-2011, 03:57 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Have you watched him play? The guy is a way bigger physical prescence then Sarich and brings an intense effort every shift at a fraction of the price. Calgary's biggest problem is effort consistency from period to period, shift to shift.

I agree with the bolded.

As far as Carkner being a "way bigger physical presence than Sarich", I don't agree. I don't think there's that much of a difference between the two when it comes to physical play. And yes, I have watched Carkner play. Good bottom-pairing dman, but I think you're overrating him.

Old
01-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
I agree with the bolded.

As far as Carkner being a "way bigger physical presence than Sarich", I don't agree. I don't think there's that much of a difference between the two when it comes to physical play. And yes, I have watched Carkner play. Good bottom-pairing dman, but I think you're overrating him.
i agree... the only way Carkner is more of a physical pressence is in the sense he fights more... Carkner is like a newer, better version of Belak