HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Marleau needs to be on his own line

Old
01-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Herschel

vCash: 500
Marleau needs to be on his own line

After watching last night game I am back to my opinion that Marleau needs to be on his own line away from Heatley and Thornton. IMO the major reason Marleau looked so fast was that he didn't have anyone on his line that wanted to slow things down. Patty is more effective when he is able to push the pace an plays with player who want to do the same thing. Joe and Dany aren't that type of players they are both more comfortable controlling the pace instead of pushing it.

When Clowe comes back is it time to put Marleau back at Centre and offically breakup the HTML line?

Herschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 01:21 PM
McLovin25
Eberle=Clutch

I wouldnt mind seeing Marleau on a line with Pavs and Seto or Ferriero. Seto has the speed to keep up and Pavs thinks the game well enough he's always where he needs to be.

I agree with you put someone like McGinn on the top line to if nothing else showcase him as potential trade bait.

McLovin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Herschel

Depending how long Clowe is out for Couture might be firmly cemented on the top line. I really liked what Couture adds to Joe & Dany. He has great hockey sense which is key when playing with Joe and he likes to take the puck to the net, something Marleau or Joe dont do enough.

As much as I hate to break up the Couture - Clowe combo I can see it happen.

Herschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 01:43 PM
SJeasy

They have to stay away from making the Sharks a one-line team.

Marleau/Pavs has worked in the past. I don't know how well Clowe would do with them. When Seto is working, it works. Against the Blues, it was a facepalm on about half of Seto's shifts while Marleau and Pavs were showing some chemistry.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:18 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Against the Blues, it was a facepalm on about half of Seto's shifts while Marleau and Pavs were showing some chemistry.
It was definitely more than half . That guy has like no hockey IQ.
I wouldn't mind trying out Marleau - Pavelski - Ferriero line. He's more creative than Setoguchi and they seemed to work okay together on the powerplay.
I also liked last night's first power play unit. Having Couture out there instead of Marleau seems to bring out a lot more creativity.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:

Marleau/Pavs has worked in the past. I don't know how well Clowe would do with them. When Seto is working, it works. Against the Blues, it was a facepalm on about half of Seto's shifts while Marleau and Pavs were showing some chemistry.
You can say that again. I'm beginning to think that kid is never going to put it all together.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Having Couture out there instead of Marleau seems to bring out a lot more creativity.
Bingo! That was the highlight of the night!

Thereís a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. Itís a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, Iíd take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
You can say that again. I'm beginning to think that kid is never going to put it all together.
He has hockey IQ of a hamster. And also appearance of one.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:44 PM
TheSandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNet View Post
I wouldnt mind seeing Marleau on a line with Pavs and Seto or Ferriero. Seto has the speed to keep up and Pavs thinks the game well enough he's always where he needs to be.

I agree with you put someone like McGinn on the top line to if nothing else showcase him as potential trade bait.
Totally agree with the OP and this post. Pavs is slower but makes a good 3rd man high, first on the backcheck, and his defensive presence give Marleau and Seto more room to do their thing.

TheSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:55 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Bingo! That was the highlight of the night!
That has always been Marleau's weakness, PP. On the top unit, he should be on the point if he is on that unit. Traditionally, Marleau is better 5on5, JT and Heater are stronger on PP.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:

One thing Seto does bring to that line is a bit of physicality. And there have been points in the past where Seto and Marleau have played extremely well together. If Seto can work through his issues (which I suspect have a lot more to do with confidence than "partying" or other things I've seen thrown around) that could be a fantastic line.

So:

??(McGinn, Mitchell, Mashinter?)-JT-Heatley
Clowe-Coutre-?? (Ferry?)
Marleau-Pavs-Seto
??(Mitchell, Mash, McGinn)-Nichol-Mayers

From the way he played last night, Mash might actually work on the top line. He was really strong along the boards, and he did crash the net. Both things that could benefit a JT+Heatley line.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:15 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
One thing Seto does bring to that line is a bit of physicality. And there have been points in the past where Seto and Marleau have played extremely well together. If Seto can work through his issues (which I suspect have a lot more to do with confidence than "partying" or other things I've seen thrown around) that could be a fantastic line.

So:

??(McGinn, Mitchell, Mashinter?)-JT-Heatley
Clowe-Coutre-?? (Ferry?)
Marleau-Pavs-Seto
??(Mitchell, Mash, McGinn)-Nichol-Mayers

From the way he played last night, Mash might actually work on the top line. He was really strong along the boards, and he did crash the net. Both things that could benefit a JT+Heatley line.
Heatley - Thornton - Setoguchi
Clowe - Couture - Ferriero
Marleau - Pavelski - Cheechoo
McGinn - Nichol - Mayers

Old
01-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Heatley - Thornton - Setoguchi
Clowe - Couture - Ferriero
Marleau - Pavelski - Cheechoo
McGinn - Nichol - Mayers
Way too slow for that line. Not good enough along the boards. And no one on that line who has the passing skill needed to really bring out Cheech's game.

If Cheech comes back the only role that makes sense to me is with JT and Heater. Heater floats around the edge of the crease for garbage goals. Cheech finds the "empty space" higher up for his one timer. But really, I just don't see Cheech having a role at this time. But I could be totally wrong.

Old
01-16-2011, 05:18 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
If Cheech comes back the only role that makes sense to me is with JT and Heater. Heater floats around the edge of the crease for garbage goals. Cheech finds the "empty space" higher up for his one timer. But really, I just don't see Cheech having a role at this time. But I could be totally wrong.
Yeah I was considering that initially, but the line would be so slow.

Old
01-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:

That would be the slowest line in the NHL. I don't see them holding possession for longer than 15 seconds.

Old
01-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Cheechoo-Thornton-Setoguchi

Cheechoo and Cheechoo vol. 2 ()

Mafoofoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
That would be the slowest line in the NHL. I don't see them holding possession for longer than 15 seconds.
Almost any line with Cheech on it is going to be painfully slow. Clowe is only very slighly faster than Cheech, and a Clowe-JT-Heatley line has worked.

It's not optimal, but it's still the only way I see him back on the Sharks. For his style to work as a goal scorer he absolutely must have a precision passer. Neither Couture or Pavs are anywhere near what he needs. If he's not playing with JT, then he's not likely on the Sharks.

He might work with Malkin though. And it would be nice to see Cheech on a contender.

Old
01-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Almost any line with Cheech on it is going to be painfully slow. Clowe is only very slighly faster than Cheech, and a Clowe-JT-Heatley line has worked.
No way, Jose. Clowe is slow, especially after last year's injury, but to be on Cheechoo's level, it takes a lot. And the line worked because Clowe can control the puck along the boards, Cheech is not known for that.

But I would love to see Cheech in Pitt. They have seen him last year when he played a game against them in the playoffs - I guess they didn't like what they saw.

Old
01-16-2011, 05:37 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
But I would love to see Cheech in Pitt. They have seen him last year when he played a game against them in the playoffs - I guess they didn't like what they saw.
Didn't he only play like, one game?

Old
01-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Didn't he only play like, one game?
That's what I said.

Old
01-16-2011, 05:39 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
That's what I said.
Oh my bad. I usually just skim through your posts.

Old
01-16-2011, 05:41 PM
FrizzleFry22
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 183
Quote:

I have been impressed with the very limited time he has gotten. He has seemed calm with the puck and can clear it out of the zone using his body. I hope he sees more time and some time on the top line because he is a big body that can clear space for Thornton and Heatley.

FrizzleFry22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 06:23 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
No way, Jose. Clowe is slow, especially after last year's injury, but to be on Cheechoo's level, it takes a lot. And the line worked because Clowe can control the puck along the boards, Cheech is not known for that.

Not to drag to thread off topic, but Cheechoo was good on the boards, and scored a lot of dirty goals in the paint when he was playing well.

When he played with Reech and S Thornton, they were a stunningly successful grinding third line. All three were physical and could cycle well, use their feet well in the corners to control the puck and come off the wall to set up a shot. They would control the puck in the corners for extended periods.

Its doesn't mean much though because in the new NHL, you have to be able to skate and play defense. The cycle play that line was so successful with included picks which are now called. Cheech's defense is no better except he can't hook on the backcheck anymore.

Sadly, the new NHL is a tough place for a poor skating one-way player like Cheech, no matter how hard he works or how healthy he is. He's not fast enough for an energy line and not physical enough for a checking line. He can't PK. He isn't a good forechecker. He's going to have a hard time finding a spot with a team on a playoff run.

01-16-2011, 06:33 PM
AbsolonMoreau*

I was thinking:
Ferry-o - JT - Heater
Clowe - Couture - Marleau
Mashinter - Pavs - Seto
McGinn - Nichol - Mayers

AbsolonMoreau* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Lebanezer

Couture should stay with Joe and Heatley. The second line from last night should stay together and Clowe can make it work with whoever's left. Joe and Heatley need Couture to do all the work they seem unable or unwilling to do at this point.

Marleau sucks when he plays with Joe, he just gives Joe the puck and never skates. I hate it when he doesn't use his speed.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote