HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top Three Most Difficult Teams for Us this Season

Old
01-17-2011, 10:36 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Top Three Most Difficult Teams for Us this Season

1.) Philadelphia (0-3-0), 3 games remaining - Major red flag. The Flyers have us by the balls thus far, going 3-0 against us and whooping our ***** 11-4 in goal totals. It's crucial we pick up our game against them. Truthfully, we're not equipped to beat a team like Philly until we get a number one center and a good veteran defenseman. Regardless, you can't afford to have a losing season record against any divisional opponent.

2.) Tampa Bay (0-1-2), 1 game remaining - Tampa is another team, with our current roster, that I'd be uncomfortable facing in the playoffs. They're outscoring us 11-7. We let a serious opportunity go in that ridiculously long shootout we had against them at home a few weeks ago. And we were pretty lucky to get the other OT loss, Gaborik barely got us there with a late goal. We just have to do better. There's no excuse to make Tampa's goaltenders look like all-stars.

3.) Montreal (0-2-0), 2 games remaining -
Montreal has just as many points as us. We're playing close-ish games as goal totals would suggest at 5-3, but we need to be better, especially against a with the team we're competing with most for seeding right now. Quite frankly I think we're a better team, but we just suck in Montreal and Hank let a softie in at home.

Who do you think are the top three teams we need to improve on?

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

vCash: 500
Consistency. Playing 60 minutes a game. Not 20.

That's what we need to do against all three.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:41 PM
DMPD
Mats, Zuke of NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
1.) Philadelphia (0-3-0), 3 games remaining - Major red flag. The Flyers have us by the balls thus far, going 3-0 against us and whooping our ***** 11-4 in goal totals. It's crucial we pick up our game against them. Truthfully, we're not equipped to beat a team like Philly until we get a number one center and a good veteran defenseman. Regardless, you can't afford to have a losing season record against any divisional opponent.

2.) Tampa Bay (0-1-2), 1 game remaining - Tampa is another team, with our current roster, that I'd be uncomfortable facing in the playoffs. They're outscoring us 11-7. We let a serious opportunity go in that ridiculously long shootout we had against them at home a few weeks ago. And we were pretty lucky to get the other OT loss, Gaborik barely got us there with a late goal. We just have to do better. There's no excuse to make Tampa's goaltenders look like all-stars.

3.) Montreal (0-2-0), 2 games remaining -
Montreal has just as many points as us. We're playing close-ish games as goal totals would suggest at 5-3, but we need to be better, especially against a with the team we're competing with most for seeding right now. Quite frankly I think we're a better team, but we just suck in Montreal and Hank let a softie in at home.

Who do you think are the top three teams we need to improve on?
Agree with those 3, and losing to Montreal and Philadelphia just sucks.

rip
DMPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:44 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

We can beat TB and Montreal easily, though I agree they're the 2 teams who've given us the most trouble past Philly.

I just don't see anyone beating Philly this year and they take the cup.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:47 PM
DMPD
Mats, Zuke of NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
We can beat TB and Montreal easily, though I agree they're the 2 teams who've given us the most trouble past Philly.

Don't say that please, I couldn't take a Philadelphia cup win around here; I might blow my ****ing head off.

DMPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Those are easily the worst teams for us.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:05 AM
ceej730

Those teams are spot on. And going to a school near Philly i have to hear it from all the stubborn Flyer fans

ceej730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:10 AM
Placid

Flyers looked beatable enough, its just a matter of being there for the whole game. Dont think i've seen a Lightning game this year, so dont dare say much about them. The habs are problematic because of their speed. When they "click", they really click and the Rangers seriously struggle trying to keep up and getting the puck.

Well, thats my amateurish analysis anyway

Placid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:57 AM
Khris Creider

1. Philadelphia
2. Pittsburgh
3. Tampa Bay

Khris Creider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:28 AM
GarretJoseph*

Philly & Tampa for sure.

Have to see another game against Montreal to see what happens.

I thought Carolina played us well.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:00 AM
Patriks7

Quote:

Gotta agree that there isn't really anyone in the east capable of taking them in a 7 game series. They are like the Hawks last season, depth in every position imaginable. But I have a feeling if they do make it to the Finals, the west winner will be better and not give them the cup

Patriks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:32 AM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

tampa doesn't scare me much because we clearly have the edge in goaltending, even though they have a deeper core on offense. i'd much rather see them than pittsburgh

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:47 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Consistency. Playing 60 minutes a game. Not 20.

That's what we need to do against all three.
This.

It has nothing to do with a lack of a high priced 7+ mil center and a high priced 6+ mil defenseman.

We lose those games because we took stupid penalties early. And we didn't show up to play the first 30 minutes of the games.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:51 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby33 View Post
1. Philadelphia
2. Pittsburgh
3. Tampa Bay
We're 2-1 against Pittsburgh.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:59 AM
DM23BK30

Quote:

Boston, Montreal, Washington and Pittsburgh can all beat Philly in a 7-game series

I will never understand the Flyers. They are going to go into the postseason with a goaltending tandem yet again.

No team in the last 30 or so years (at least) has won a Cup with dueling goalies. They need one goalie to play all 20 or so playoff games, and I just dont see Bobrovski or Boucher doing that.

I dont put too much stock in the regular season. The truth is that the Rangers pick and choose when they want to show up, and when they play those teams, they dont show up.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 07:01 AM
Miller Time NYR

I agree with those teams, they just better figure out a way to beat the lightning bc I'm going to that game.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 07:10 AM
Melrose_Jr.

You'd think they could get up for these games against the Flyers just because it's the Flyers. I think it's the downside of a really young team devoid of a lot of the history.

Unlike Tampa, Philly has been able to cover for their shortcomings in goal. Boucher probably couldn't hold a job in the NHL without an absolute brick wall defensive strategy in front of him, and as good as Bobrovsky has been, his performance is on par with Leighton's last year. Will it matter? Doesn't seem like it.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 07:18 AM
bumrusherer

Philly are just better than us, Which is no shame when you look at what they have achieved recently.

Montreal, I have no idea there. I think that is more about us not giving 60 minute efforts.

Tampa, they just seem to be a bad match up. We dont have great team speed and their main strength for their better players is speed. They suffocate us and because we are not great with puck possession, they create chances against us regularly.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 07:20 AM
bumrusherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post

I dont put too much stock in the regular season. The truth is that the Rangers pick and choose when they want to show up, and when they play those teams, they dont show up.
I disagree. The main reason why we have as many points as we do right nowe is because of a consistent work ethic.
We dont have crazy scoring talent in every area...we have to work hard and rely on Goaltending to win games.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 07:27 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Add Boston to the mix.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 07:55 AM
jniklast

I think we have a problem with teams that have balanced scoring. We have one of the best shutdown pairs in Staal-Girardi, but of course they can't always play. But even that wouldn't be much of a problem (our other d-pairs play well enough) if our offense could generate more pressure. But we really struggle with that often (aside from the late 10 minute push in the last two games), in part due to our atrocious faceoff percentage.

Another big problem (and a big reason why we struggle with Tampa so much) is that our PK isn't that good this season in my opinion. Sure the stats might not be too bad and we have the most shorties, but I think it's too easy for the opposing teams to set up in our zone. And when they have big shots and quick passing like Tampa and Montreal had, it's just a matter of time until they score unless Lundqvist (or Biron) turn into god mode. Maybe I'm wrong but I think we were better at that in recent years when we were constantly among the best PK in the league.

Oh and of course the biggest reason we are struggeling is that we don't score enough. Which in turn is a result of our very poor PP. In the end you don't win many games when you can't score more than two goals. Our record this year is more than respectable considering that fact.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Patriks7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Boston, Montreal, Washington and Pittsburgh can all beat Philly in a 7-game series

I will never understand the Flyers. They are going to go into the postseason with a goaltending tandem yet again.

No team in the last 30 or so years (at least) has won a Cup with dueling goalies. They need one goalie to play all 20 or so playoff games, and I just dont see Bobrovski or Boucher doing that.

You do remember that they got to the Finals last season right? Of course, their weak goaltending was exposed by the Hawks, but they added to their defensive core and added some pieces to their offensive core so they might be able to over come that.

Patriks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:52 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I don't know why we have had such a problem with Montreal. Like last year, this team is not better than us and we should finish ahead of them.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:02 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I agree with the OP wholeheartedly.

We need to start scoring goals in the FIRST period.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:14 PM
NYRSchrute217

I want to see how the Rangers respond in 3 weeks in Montreal. Should be an absolute bloodbath sandwiched by PIT, NJ and then DET, ATL, PIT and LA. Will be interesting to see how they respond.

Tampa always plays us tough, but they have no goaltending, not sold on 42 year old Roloson. I think we could beat them in a series.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote