HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lawson and Joenssuu returned to the Bridge

Old
01-18-2011, 12:15 PM
kasper11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
This board is becoming monopolized by a bunch of whiners. What Garth did was the right thing in regards to sending down Lawson and keeping Poulin with the Islanders. The fact is that DP will probably play 60% of the remaining games at best. That means we'll relay on the backup quite a bit. Poulin gives us the best chance to win when he's in net. Now, if we send him down, he still won't play that much more at the Bridge. Koskinen and he will share duties, so it's not like he'll get that many more games in net. And don't forget, DP is no gaurantee. Poulin might actually end up playing more games with the Isles then with the Soundtigers. The bottom line is that the priority has to be the Islanders and Poulin is better suited for them then Lawson is. Lawson quite frankly is not NHL worthy!!!
If the Isles were the priority Roloson would still be here. The fact is that the team has to do what gives it the best chance for long-term success. Right now, most of us agree playing Poulin every night would be best.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:21 PM
bluechipbonzo

For those of you who are bashing Garth on the Lawson-Poulin move, I suggest you read the Kevin Poulin thread in the prospects forum.

This is the time of year when teams bring prospects up and give them a chance to run with things.

There is no pressure on Poulin now, because its not the start of the season- Poulin cannot be blamed for anything, and so its the perfect time to give him starts.

In other words, this is a completely conventional move- one that any NHL team would make. On HF, anything Snow does has to be wrong, so sayeth the armchair experts.

If you think different, I guess you know better than someone who played in the NHL, and analyzes the game for a living.

Even if this were not a conventional move, the fact remains that:

Poulin > Lawson

Why give NHL starts to a guy (Lawson) who doesn't figure into the this team's long term plans?

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:22 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
This board is becoming monopolized by a bunch of whiners. What Garth did was the right thing in regards to sending down Lawson and keeping Poulin with the Islanders. The fact is that DP will probably play 60% of the remaining games at best. That means we'll relay on the backup quite a bit. Poulin gives us the best chance to win when he's in net. Now, if we send him down, he still won't play that much more at the Bridge. Koskinen and he will share duties, so it's not like he'll get that many more games in net. And don't forget, DP is no gaurantee. Poulin might actually end up playing more games with the Isles then with the Soundtigers. The bottom line is that the priority has to be the Islanders and Poulin is better suited for them then Lawson is. Lawson quite frankly is not NHL worthy!!!
I agree with this 100%. Poulin will get 50% of the starts, probably as much as he'd start at Bridgeport. Also, I think us fans need to look at it from the coaches perspective. Poulin was his best goalie when Capuano was the coach in Bridgeport, I'm sure there is a certain trust factor there. As well as the player's perspective, I'm sure he can give 2 sh*ts that us fans think it might ruin his developement, he's happy to be in the NHL, believes he belongs in the NHL, and wants to stay in the NHL. Good for him, he has a ton of confidence, obviously very talented, and very hungry. Plus, regardless of his injury history, DP will surely help mentor Poulin in the the ways of being an NHL goalie. Sure doesn't hurt the kid to be spending tons of time with a bonafide former Allstar NHL goalie. Much better than hanging with Koskinen and any other minor league goalies.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:34 PM
ledzep1212
COYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
If the Isles were the priority Roloson would still be here. The fact is that the team has to do what gives it the best chance for long-term success. Right now, most of us agree playing Poulin every night would be best.
no, and yeah that would be awesome and all to send Poulin down to let him start every game if you know Mikko Koskinen didn't exist or anything. Whether its with the Islanders or Bridgeport Poulin would not be the everyday guy and would be splitting starts 50/50. And if that is going to happen it may as well be with the Islanders.

ledzep1212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:36 PM
Chardo

Poulin will still play a lot with DP around, but he also gets to continue practicing with NHL players and working with NHL coaches (if you consider Sudsie to be one). This can be more valuable than a few extra AHL starts.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:48 PM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
For those of you who are bashing Garth on the Lawson-Poulin move, I suggest you read the Kevin Poulin thread in the prospects forum.

This is the time of year when teams bring prospects up and give them a chance to run with things.

There is no pressure on Poulin now, because its not the start of the season- Poulin cannot be blamed for anything, and so its the perfect time to give him starts.

In other words, this is a completely conventional move- one that any NHL team would make. On HF, anything Snow does has to be wrong, so sayeth the armchair experts.

If you think different, I guess you know better than someone who played in the NHL, and analyzes the game for a living.

Even if this were not a conventional move, the fact remains that:

Poulin > Lawson

Why give NHL starts to a guy (Lawson) who doesn't figure into the this team's long term plans?

If Poulin plays, that's fine. If he's going to watch from the bench, then what's the point? Snow screwed up his entire roster and prospect pool this year anyway so at this point nothing really matters only finishing the season.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:10 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
no, and yeah that would be awesome and all to send Poulin down to let him start every game if you know Mikko Koskinen didn't exist or anything. Whether its with the Islanders or Bridgeport Poulin would not be the everyday guy and would be splitting starts 50/50. And if that is going to happen it may as well be with the Islanders.
Send Mikko to the ECHL and let him play every game there. Let Poulin play every game for Bridgeport.

And I doubt Poulin gets half the starts for the Isles. There are 38 games left. My guess is Poulin starts about 13 of them. As opposed to 30 or so at Bridgeport if you send Mikko down.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:17 PM
OlTimeHockey

If an NHL player exists, play him in the NHL. If a player is not ready, send him down so he can GET READY. If he proves he can't quite meet the first criteria, we know he's close, so send him down to CONTINUE his development.

Easy formula....unless your team promotes zygotes and blames building for its lackings.

Poulin should be handles aggressively if we wanna continue doing it "our way" or sent down if we PRIZE him and want to do everything we can to ensure he improves.

So if you wanna keep him up like every other ready NHL player that met their potential on LI during the past 20 years, more power to ya.

I want Poulin down yesterday with a note of confidence in him because I truly believe he is close and could be something special if we don't ruin him.

But hey, I only watch this team fail every year. What do I know?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Send Mikko to the ECHL and let him play every game there. Let Poulin play every game for Bridgeport.

And I doubt Poulin gets half the starts for the Isles. There are 38 games left. My guess is Poulin starts about 13 of them. As opposed to 30 or so at Bridgeport if you send Mikko down.
I'm thinking Poulin get's 16-18 starts and DP get's the rest. Probably something like a 55-45 split and that is if DP doesn't get hurt.

The thing that weighs on me is I feel the AHL team is in a lot worse shape than the current big club. With that being said whether this stint up here is beneficial for Poulin hinges on what kind of mentality he brings to it. If he keeps his work ethic up and continues learning and figuring out how to overcome whatever issues he might have then it's beneficial, if not then it doesn't matter where he plays.

I'd much rather see him down in the AHL getting every 3 out of 4 games but it's not going to happen with Mikko so he's pretty much going to get the same number of games no matter what.

If the kid struggles and can't hack it they can still send him back down and he can regroup and get himself back together. Remember he's not some delicate flower he's a professional hockey player, and if he's the real deal then he'll succeed in the current situation he's in.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Otto91

Why Does everyone consider Poulin a back up tender? Why can't it be seen as DP 1A and Poulin 1B?

Lawson needs to play as well and since he really will never be an NHL goalie at the age of 27....why not give Poulin some time up here until we see what DP has left in the tank.

People think it is the end of Poulin's career cause he gets a few games in the bigs....he can be sent down just as fast as Lawson is brought back.

perhaps a little over critical here....as the move with Hamonic another 20 year old seems to not be the end of the world or a career buster. I am sure if it seems to be to much for Poulin they will send him down and bring Lawson back.

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto91 View Post
Why Does everyone consider Poulin a back up tender? Why can't it be seen as DP 1A and Poulin 1B?
Lawson needs to play as well and since he really will never be an NHL goalie at the age of 27....why not give Poulin some time up here until we see what DP has left in the tank.

People think it is the end of Poulin's career cause he gets a few games in the bigs....he can be sent down just as fast as Lawson is brought back.

perhaps a little over critical here....as the move with Hamonic another 20 year old seems to not be the end of the world or a career buster. I am sure if it seems to be to much for Poulin they will send him down and bring Lawson back.
Because everyone here are being drama queens(well some here) about this. Seems like they all think DP is gonna rattle off 25 straight starts and Poulin is going to sit on the bench and collect dust.

Even though I don't like the idea of Poulin up here I can see why he is. They don't trust Lawson and they want to see what Poulin has. Any issues he has can be worked on up here just as they are down at the Bridge but under a more watchful eye. It would be nice if he got a chance to still stonewall the AHL but he's not going to be ruined or have his development derailed by this. This isn't the Dan Blackburn situation part 2.

Old
01-18-2011, 02:52 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:

DP is a 1A goalie and Poulin a 1BeStarting60GamesWithRickHurt goalie.

Lawson may never be anything.....but he can be the guy who steps it up so Poulin can develop properly.....which I hope happens, again, as he's just not ready for prime time yet.

If you look at it from another angle, Lawson can earn a role backing up whoever does make it. He just needs playing time to get his NHL game going. If it doesn't work out, at least we were careful with the three gems we have and hope for.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Otto91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Because everyone here are being drama queens(well some here) about this. Seems like they all think DP is gonna rattle off 25 straight starts and Poulin is going to sit on the bench and collect dust.

Even though I don't like the idea of Poulin up here I can see why he is. They don't trust Lawson and they want to see what Poulin has. Any issues he has can be worked on up here just as they are down at the Bridge but under a more watchful eye. It would be nice if he got a chance to still stonewall the AHL but he's not going to be ruined or have his development derailed by this. This isn't the Dan Blackburn situation part 2.
Agreed

My question is when will the Colliton experiment end ? When will we see David Ullstrom? That is My Question.

Enough with The Jesse J Experiment....now that he has been sent down....why wouldn't they Give Ullstrom a shot?

My feeling is Colliton and Jesse J will never truly be NHL players....so why not give The 6'3" Ullstrom a chance on the left side. As if this team could not use Ullstrom's Size or speed....Thoughts?

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 03:02 PM
mygameworn

Quote:

Yeah... Just like Rhett, He got his couple of games and wouldn't you know he's now out with a concussion... It's not about playing your prospects here and there so you can see what you have.

It's about a moron GM trying to ice a NHL team with prospects and AHL level talent,who aren't really ready and haven't adapted to NHL play.

And the reason why everyone is annoyed with Poulin being a back up is because Wang and Co have said it's DP's team and he IS the number one...

Old
01-18-2011, 03:19 PM
StuDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
DP is a 1A goalie and Poulin a 1BeStarting60GamesWithRickHurt goalie.

Lawson may never be anything.....but he can be the guy who steps it up so Poulin can develop properly.....which I hope happens, again, as he's just not ready for prime time yet.

If you look at it from another angle, Lawson can earn a role backing up whoever does make it. He just needs playing time to get his NHL game going. If it doesn't work out, at least we were careful with the three gems we have and hope for.
Preposterous.

StuDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Ranger Fan View Post
Yeah... Just like Rhett, He got his couple of games and wouldn't you know he's now out with a concussion... It's not about playing your prospects here and there so you can see what you have.

It's about a moron GM trying to ice a NHL team with prospects and AHL level talent,who aren't really ready and haven't adapted to NHL play.

And the reason why everyone is annoyed with Poulin being a back up is because Wang and Co have said it's DP's team and he IS the number one...
They can say it's DP's team all they want but if he never gets back to normal and Poulin blows by him on the depth chart I can't wait to hear them change their tune.

I also have a lot more issues with how they ice the rest of their team before I complain about Poulin being up here. He sorta reminds me of Bobrovsky at the beginning of the season, just raw talent and needs to start realizing how to utilize it.

Old
01-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Agreed

My question is when will the Colliton experiment end ? When will we see David Ullstrom? That is My Question.

Enough with The Jesse J Experiment....now that he has been sent down....why wouldn't they Give Ullstrom a shot?

My feeling is Colliton and Jesse J will never truly be NHL players....so why not give The 6'3" Ullstrom a chance on the left side. As if this team could not use Ullstrom's Size or speed....Thoughts?
I don't know much about Ullstrom but is he even ready for a cup of coffee with the Isles? He is probably better served to just ride it out in Bridgeport and next year in training camp evaluate where he is at.

Old
01-18-2011, 03:46 PM
mygameworn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
I don't know much about Ullstrom but is he even ready for a cup of coffee with the Isles? He is probably better served to just ride it out in Bridgeport and next year in training camp evaluate where he is at.
Ullstrom could handle a game or two. He's played well given the circumstances in Bridgeport. I'm sure if he had better line mates he'd show some more signs of readiness.

Old
01-18-2011, 04:14 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL8116 View Post
Joensuu really aggravates me! He's got good size but appears afraid to use it. He's been with the big club a number of times but really hasn't shown me much.

What aggravates me is I thought he could have been a decent bottom 6 guy, but now I don't know if I even want him on the bottom 3.
i feel the same. he just hasnt impressed consistently.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:49 PM
BillD

Colliton is suitable for 4th line play. Rather see him than Gillies.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 08:23 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
A good chunk of goaltending is mental, not sure what being bombarded by shots at the NHL level will do for this kid's confidence and resiliency.

He'll get his starts though.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:55 PM
GOLFWANG

http://twitter.com/NYIslanders/status/27558486980169728

lawson is back to practice??

dp injured?

GOLFWANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:23 AM
IslesNorway

Funny they send him down one day bring him back up the next unless there's some weird CBA thing that has to be done from time to time...

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:33 AM
Bones45

not sure how you guys can have so much to say on two never-will-be's in the NHL..

IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT ON THIS ****** TEAM, YOU SUCK AND WILL NEVER PLAY IN THE NHL.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 08:27 AM
mygameworn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
not sure how you guys can have so much to say on two never-will-be's in the NHL..

IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT ON THIS ****** TEAM, YOU SUCK AND WILL NEVER PLAY IN THE NHL.

That's not entirely true. Look at the ex islanders who went on to play in the NHL and have an impact on other teams. But yeah, Joensuu and Lawson aren't NHL caliber.