Old
01-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

vCash: 500
Eager traded to Sharks for 5th rounder

yay!

go team!

i am guessing Cormier is staying with the team now? although Slater and Modin are both still out

Old
01-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
yay!

go team!

i am guessing Cormier is staying with the team now? although Slater and Modin are both still out
good news.

Cormier stays until another trade or 2 is made.

Old
01-18-2011, 10:23 AM
The Sneak

Interesting return. I'd have thought he'd be worth more than a fifth. Regardless, he was never a fit here, and it can probably be filed in the addition by subtraction category

Old
01-18-2011, 10:29 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Glad we got something. I actually predicted him on waivers before the end of his suspension.

Old
01-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
Interesting return. I'd have thought he'd be worth more than a fifth. Regardless, he was never a fit here, and it can probably be filed in the addition by subtraction category
i am surprised we got anything. i was expecting waivers or a 7th

Old
01-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Cowpunk

WOW! Another one of ownership's late season, blockbuster deals aimed at solidifying a struggling team for a playoff run down the stretch!

Oh wait, this is Thrashers Ownership and Upper level management we are talking about.

Despite losing 9 of our last 13 games, including being outscored 26-9 in our last four losses, these are the type of marginal deals that we can expect from the Thrashers down the stretch.

I know it's not PC to point out that the Thrashers have been in the bottom five of NHL Payrolls during their existence, but having the league's lowest payroll and making a deep playoff run are, essentially, mutually exclusive.

We have all but proved that with our history of playoff futility.

Conversely, we have been very successful in unloading higher paid NHL SuperStars like Marc Savard, Marian Hossa (Pascual Dupuis was also included in that late 2008 white flag waving , cost cutting trade for Armstrong and Christensen) and Dany Heatley.

Yeah Thrashers!

Old
01-18-2011, 10:53 AM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpunk View Post
WOW! Another one of ownership's late season, blockbuster deals aimed at solidifying a struggling team for a playoff run down the stretch!

Oh wait, this is Thrashers Ownership and Upper level management we are talking about.

Despite losing 9 of our last 13 games, including being outscored 26-9 in our last four losses, these are the type of marginal deals that we can expect from the Thrashers down the stretch.

I know it's not PC to point out that the Thrashers have been in the bottom five of NHL Payrolls during their existence, but having the league's lowest payroll and making a deep playoff run are, essentially, mutually exclusive.

Conversely, we have been very successful in unloading higher paid NHL SuperStars like Marc Savard, Marian Hossa (Pascual Dupuis was also included in that late 2008 white flag waving , cost cutting trade for Armstrong and Christensen) and Dany Heatley.

Yeah Thrashers!
Ummmm...... We got rid of Ben Eager. It was a good deal no matter what comes back. We weren't going to get anything for him anyways.

Old
01-18-2011, 10:56 AM
SilverRiver89

vCash: 1365
I had a feeling a trade of some sort was coming (no actual reason, just a hunch). Been impatiently checking my phone for tweets the last few days because of it. Of course it doesn't happen until I'm in the middle of class

Kind of feel like something else might happen too. Probably not today, but soon-ish. We'll see...

Old
01-18-2011, 10:57 AM
The Maltais Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpunk View Post

Yeah Thrashers!
Yes, Cowpunk. Clearly this was a move aimed at solidifying the team for the playoff stretch and not the barely newsworthy unloading of unwanted assets as it might appear to the casual observer.

Old
01-18-2011, 11:02 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

We need to be adding players, not getting picks in garbage time of the draft.

It is an unimpressive move, love him or hate him he put a little fear into the other team.

Old
01-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Sabreality

wow...keep living in the past, you must enjoy that misery.

was Dudley the GM back then? were Ramsay, Trochetti & Strothers behind the bench? did we have this kind of core to grow with? was Belkin out of the equation?

for those waiting and pining for 'the same old Thrashers', they clearly arent..even if they DO miss the playoffs this season, equating this team now and going forward with the Thrash of old makes little sense...it seems like some around here still want this team to fail..and only come out with the i told ya so's when they are failing.

get over the past already

Old
01-18-2011, 11:07 AM
The Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
i am surprised we got anything. i was expecting waivers or a 7th
I recognize the impatience from the people on this forum, and yes, Eager has been a poster boy for poor decision making several times this season. However, he is affordable, gritty, and does have a scoring touch. He's on pace for a career high in points this year.

Just doing a quick google shows a Chicago blogger wanting him back for a price no less than Jack Skille.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/dail...ben-eager.html

He does add a vital component to a competitive team. Experience, Cup experience at that, and sandpaper. I think we sold too short on him.

Old
01-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

people are really complaining about getting rid of Eager?

Old
01-18-2011, 11:21 AM
stupo19*

Hawk fan here! Eager just doesn't work for a team that is growing. You would never see that man at his best especially with ur guys style. Benny need a highly defensivly responsible center and wingman so he can go create havoc and team energy. 10 minutes of pure hell on skates like back here in chicago! We'd love him back.....but for Skille u must be crazy! A 5th is a solid return for a 4th line banger! That just tells you that people wanted him!

Old
01-18-2011, 11:43 AM
leoleo3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupo19 View Post
Hawk fan here! Eager just doesn't work for a team that is growing. You would never see that man at his best especially with ur guys style. Benny need a highly defensivly responsible center and wingman so he can go create havoc and team energy. 10 minutes of pure hell on skates like back here in chicago! We'd love him back.....but for Skille u must be crazy! A 5th is a solid return for a 4th line banger! That just tells you that people wanted him!
As a life long Hawk fan....speak for yourself.

Old
01-18-2011, 11:47 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoleo3535 View Post
As a life long Hawk fan....speak for yourself.
I dunno, I think Chicago would welcome him back. Aside from Seabrook, who actually sticks up for fellow teammates on that team when they get in a scrum, or someone takes a shot at Crawford?

Old
01-18-2011, 12:00 PM
KevFist
is best pony

You've always failed to state what payroll has to do with on-ice performance though... the two top teams in regard to payroll are worse off than we are. You brought up Savard, but is this the same Mark Savard that seems to usually miss half a season due to concussions.... We DID throw money at Ilya Kovalchuk, who's having the worst statistical year of his career....

Old
01-18-2011, 12:02 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Maybe instead of doing nothing but complaining, you make some suggestions on how to improve the team.

Old
01-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Neon Phaneuf
Let the kids play

As others have stated, it was not meant to be a big deal. All we wanted was to get rid of him for a couple reasons.

A fifth rounder is great return for a 4th line guy who really didn't fit in.

Old
01-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Killroy*

Sucks to see how quickly Eager fell with the Thrashers. He was playing beyond my expectations, and seemed to be developing chemistry with Antro. Oh well, I can definitely do without the stupid penalties.

Old
01-18-2011, 02:09 PM
GetPucksDeep

#1 - You have not 'invested' a dime. You've spent money on entertainment.

#2. This team has many players who will command higher paychecks in the future - Pavelec, Byfuglien and Kane will all be high-dollar players. Your contention that because they aren't making big bucks now, they are therefore 'rag-tag' is beyond wrong.

#3 Yes - you have a point. Ownership does NOT have the dollars to spend to the cap unless thay can entice new investors. Does that hurt the team? Yes. Does that mean the Thrashers right now aren't as good as they could be? Yes. But the Eager deal has NOTHING to do with it. He was a lockerroom cancer who had cost the team wins. He's ranked #1 in the NHL for players likely suffering from 'roid rage.

#4 - the team is young and relatively inexperienced. Ownership better be able to spend the dollars to keep the talent mentioned above who will deserve raises in the future. But that's a long way off. I suspect they do make a deadline move to get better and be more competitive. But your expectations in the face of a crappy economy, cash strapped owners and low attendance are entirely unreasonable.

Old
01-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Killroy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetPucksDeep View Post
#1 - You have not 'invested' a dime. You've spent money on entertainment.

#2. This team has many players who will command higher paychecks in the future - Pavelec, Byfuglien and Kane will all be high-dollar players. Your contention that because they aren't making big bucks now, they are therefore 'rag-tag' is beyond wrong.

#3 Yes - you have a point. Ownership does NOT have the dollars to spend to the cap unless thay can entice new investors. Does that hurt the team? Yes. Does that mean the Thrashers right now aren't as good as they could be? Yes. But the Eager deal has NOTHING to do with it. He was a lockerroom cancer who had cost the team wins. He's ranked #1 in the NHL for players likely suffering from 'roid rage.

#4 - the team is young and relatively inexperienced. Ownership better be able to spend the dollars to keep the talent mentioned above who will deserve raises in the future. But that's a long way off. I suspect they do make a deadline move to get better and be more competitive. But your expectations in the face of a crappy economy, cash strapped owners and low attendance are entirely unreasonable.
I'm curious about the bolded part. I saw someone else mention this in the thread on the trade board. This is the first I've heard about Eager being a problem in the locker room. Is there some evidence to support this claim? I'm not trying to call you out, just curious.

Old
01-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Moving Eager has improved the team's PK: Less penalties to kill

Old
01-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
I'm curious about the bolded part. I saw someone else mention this in the thread on the trade board. This is the first I've heard about Eager being a problem in the locker room. Is there some evidence to support this claim? I'm not trying to call you out, just curious.
Probably players frustrated with him after the game if his dumb penalties has cost the team the win.
Only speculating, I too haven't read anything about Eager being a problem in the locker room

Old
01-18-2011, 02:49 PM
The Sneak

I'll go back to the lockout since the way a team is built changed significantly with the introduction of the salary cap.

You're right in saying that a low payroll team has historically not done well with regards to making the post season. The data shows that those teams in the bottom quarter of the league in payroll are poor performers.

That said there is no correlation between the biggest spenders and regular season or playoff success. Yes, the big markets are more likely to make the second season but since the lockout they are not necessarily the most successful teams.

What I've gleaned from these numbers is that access to money and the willingness to spend is important but unless you're spending it wisely you're just wasting money.

I’ve taken the top 8 spenders (27%) and the bottom 8 spenders (27%) for each season since the lockout. The salary figures are from capgeek.com for this season and from the USA Today salary database (http://content.usatoday.com/sportsda.../salaries/team ) for years prior. The regular season results are from NHL.com. Here we go:

2010-11 : Naturally things are subject to change with regards to results but this should give us a nice indication of bang for the buck

Top Spenders

1. New Jersey Devils. #30 in the NHL.
2. Calgary Flames. #23.
3. Vancouver Canucks. #1
4. Detroit Red Wings #3
5. Montreal Canadiens. #9
6. Pittsburgh Penguins. #5
7. Philadelphia Flyers. #2
8. Ottawa Senators. #27

Cheapskates

8. Florida Panthers. #24 in the NHL
7. Carolina Hurricanes. #18
6. Tampa Bay Lightning. #7
5. St Louis Blues. #21
4. Edmonton Oilers. #28
3. Colorado Avalanche. #16
2. Atlanta Thrashers. #15
1. New York Islanders. #29

2009-10 : Blackhawks (4) over Flyers (7)

Top Spenders

1. New York Rangers. #21 in regular season. Missed playoffs
2. Ottawa Senators. #13 in regular season. Lost in first round.
3. Detroit Redwings. #7 regular season. 2nd round loser
4. Chicago Blackhawks. #3 regular season. Won Cup
5. Vancouver Canucks. #5 regular season. 2nd round loser
6. Calgary Flames. #16 regular season. Missed playoffs
7. Philadelphia Flyers. #18 regular season. Cup Finalist
8. New Jersey Devils. #6 regular season. Lost in 1st round

Cheapskates

8. Dallas Stars. #20 in regular season. Missed playoffs
7. Minnesota Wild. #22. Missed playoffs
6. Columbus Blue Jackets. #27. Missed playoffs
5. Tampa Bay Lightning. #25. Missed playoffs
4. Florida Panthers #28. Missed playoffs
3. Atlanta Thrashers. #23. Missed playoffs
2. Carolina Hurricanes. #24. Missed playoffs
1. New York Islanders. #26. Missed playoffs

2008-09 : Penguins (7) over Red Wings (8)

Top Spenders

1. New York Rangers. #12 in regular season. Lost in 1st round.
2. Calgary Flames. #10 in regular season. Lost in 1st round.
3. Philadelphia Flyers. #9 regular season. Lost in 1st round.
4. Ottawa Senators. #22 regular season. Missed playoffs.
5. Montreal Canadiens. #13 regular season. Lost in 1st round.
6. Washington Capitals. #4 regular season. Lost in 2nd round.
7. Pittsburgh Penguins. #8 regular season. Won Cup
8. Detroit Red Wings. #3 regular season. Cup finalist.

Cheapskates

8. Toronto Maple Leafs. #24 in regular season. Missed playoffs
7. St Louis Blues. #15. Lost in 1st round.
6. Nashville Predators. #20. Missed playoffs
5. Tampa Bay Lightning. #29. Missed playoffs
4. Phoenix Coyotes. #25. Missed playoffs
3. Los Angeles Kings. #26. Missed playoffs
2. Atlanta Thrashers. #27. Missed playoffs
1. New York Islanders. #30. Missed playoffs

2007-08 : Red Wings (15) over Penguins (19)

Top Spenders

1. Colorado Avalanche. #10 in regular season. Lost in 2nd round.
2. Philadelphia Flyers. #11 in regular season. Lost in Conf Finals.
3. New York Rangers. #9 regular season. Lost in 2nd round.
4. Anaheim Ducks. #5 regular season. Lost in 1st round.
5. Calgary Flames. #14 regular season. Lost in 1st round.
6. Carolina Hurricanes. #16 regular season. Missed playoffs.
7. Boston Bruins. #15 regular season. Lost in 1st Round.
8. Dallas Stars. #8 regular season. Lost in Conf Finals.

Cheapskates

8. St. Louis Blues. #27 in regular season. Missed playoffs
7. New York Islanders. #26. Lost in 1st round.
6. Tampa Bay Lightning. #30. Missed playoffs
5. Atlanta Thrashers. #28. Missed playoffs
4. Phoenix Coyotes. #23. Missed playoffs
3. Chicago Blackhawks. #20. Missed playoffs
2. Nashville Predators. #17. Lost in 1st round.
1. Columbus Blue Jackets. #25. Missed playoffs

2006-07 : Ducks (15) over Senators (7)

Top Spenders

1. New Jersey Devils. #7 in regular season. Lost in 2nd round.
2. Calgary Flames. #13 in regular season. Lost in 1st round.
3. New York Rangers. #15 regular season. Lost in 2nd round.
4. Dallas Stars. #6 regular season. Lost in 1st round.
5. Philadelphia Flyers. #30 regular season. Missed playoffs.
6. Boston Bruins. #23 regular season. Missed playoffs.
7. Ottawa Senators. #9 regular season. Lost in Cup Final.
8. Montreal Canadiens. #19 regular season. Missed playoffs.

Cheapskates

8. New York Islanders. #17 in regular season. Lost in 1st round.
7. Atlanta Thrashers. #12. Lost in 1st round.
6. Florida Panthers. #21. Missed playoffs
5. Phoenix Coyotes. #29. Missed playoffs
4. Columbus Blue Jackets #24. Missed playoffs
3. St Louis Blues. #22. Missed playoffs
2. Washington Capitals. #27. Missed playoffs.
1. Pittsburgh Penguins. #10. Lost in 1st round.

2005-06 : Carolina (16) over Edmonton (9)

Top Spenders

1. New Jersey Devils. #8 in regular season. Lost in 2nd round.
2. Vancouver Canucks. #17 in regular season. Missed Playoffs.
3. Philadelphia Flyers. #9 regular season. Lost in 1st round.
4. Colorado Avalanche. #13 regular season. Lost in 2nd round.
5. New York Rangers. #10 regular season. Lost in 1st round.
6. Dallas Stars. #3 regular season. Lost in 1st round.
7. Detroit Red Wings. #1 regular season. Lost in 1st round.
8. Tampa Bay Lightning. #16 regular season. Lost in 1st round.

Cheapskates

8. Chicago Blackhawks. #28 in regular season. Missed playoffs.
7. Columbus Blue Jackets #25. Missed playoffs.
6. Buffalo Sabres. #5. Lost in Conference Final.
5. St Louis Blues. #30. Missed playoffs
4. Pittsburgh Penguins #29. Missed playoffs
3. Florida Panthers. #21. Missed playoffs
2. Minnesota Wild. #22. Missed playoffs.
1. Washington Capitals. #27. Missed playoffs.

Last edited by Shameus: 01-18-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: QDP
Closed Thread