HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Craig Rivet

Old
01-18-2011, 04:51 PM
ROEN
HabsHQ

vCash: 500
Craig Rivet

http://habsblogger.blogspot.com/2011/01/rivet.html

Craig Rivet

It all goes back to an early November morning in 2006 when RDS’s Yvon Pednault walked to the press box that overlooks Bell Center ice.

The ice had it’s sprinkling of Habs players and noticeable among them was Craig Rivet and a few members of the Canadiens well garnered press corp. The night was going to be a big one for the Habs defence celebrating the Jersey Retirement of ex-GM and Hall of famer Serge Savard.

‘’ He’s one of those guys who’s probably gonna be on TV once his career is over ‘’

Craig Rivet would of course be traded that year for a young unknown by the name of Josh Gorges, followed closely by Yvon Pednault the following year who would leave the RDS broadcast throne to a more modest role with CKAC Radio.

And like Pednault, Rivet’s career didn’t end with the Canadiens, after a brief stint with San Jose, Craig Rivet’s leadership quality saw him a natural fit at the time with Lindy Ruff’s Sabre squad as captain.

‘’ It was a surprise pick for some fans, he was new to the organization and with Luongo named Canucks captain at the time, they were expecting Ryan Miller to be the guy ‘’

Easy to say it hasn’t been an easy ride for the aging Rivet as observers see his career winding down, a brash of injuries in recent years have made him an expendable part of the team on the ice and Sabres management will mull trade options prior to deadline day if you are to believe the rumors following a Sabres team some have say is seriously underachieving this year.

Interestingly enough Craig Rivet’s ascension to the NHL was similar to PK Subban’s if you look at Junior career highs. Rivet although now considered by many as a defensive defenceman topped 75 points ( 19 goals and 55 assists ) with Kingston in the OHL while PK Subban had a junior career high 76 points ( 14 goals and 62 assists ) with Belleville.

Rivet would be called up due to injury at the start of the 1995 season ( a 3-2 loss to Boston ) to save the Canadiens catastrophic season start.

A start that would end Jacques Demers’s reign with the Habs and inevitably a miserable decade for the Canadiens.

At the start of the 1996 season the Canadiens had 3 defenceman aged under 22 in their lineup.

Craig Rivet, David Wilkie and Rory Fitzpatrick.

This year Weber and Subban are the ‘’under 23 ‘’ Habs rookies on Defence, a first since 1996 .

Rivet who was asked if he has a message for Subban on the night prior to facing him said :

‘’ Change your ways ‘’

For many Habs fans the message will sound more like

‘’ Please stay the same ‘’

Last edited by ROEN: 01-18-2011 at 05:17 PM.
ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 04:52 PM
coolasprICE

Rivet is a schmuck

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 04:54 PM
triplecitizen

I like the fact that when Craig Rivet talks the only thing it does is to momentarily remind us that Craig Rivet exists.

triplecitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 04:55 PM
le_sean

Rivet is a bum. He's just jealous that Subban can actually skate...and pass...and shoot...

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
It's because of him guys like Higgins and Perez turned into ****.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Please stay the same.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Patrice Brisebois

lol Rivet.

Thanks for Gorges and Pacioretty

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:28 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

One of Habs best trades ever: Rivet for Gorges and Pacioretty

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:29 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
It's because of him guys like Higgins and Perez turned into ****.
Elaborate?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:31 PM
ROEN
HabsHQ

from what I'm getting here, the main message to PK is, '' Don't become Craig Rivet ''

Old
01-18-2011, 05:32 PM
ROEN
HabsHQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
Elaborate?
He's probably alluding to the famed Rivet - Souray - Koivu leadership ring that some say squashed the devellopment of guys like Higgins and Perezhogin

Old
01-18-2011, 05:35 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Rivet is a schmuck
A schmuck who's made over $23 million dollars playing hockey. How much do you make?

Seriously, why do you think he's a schmuck or do you think its cool to bash people for no reason? He was a good Hab and he landed us a good return on his years of service of play.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Rivet is sour, he's at the end of his career and it seems he's very negative about having the Habs dump him.

Hey, that's life Craig. If you would have been good enuff we woulda kept ya! That's the "Cherry Hockey Code", man...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I mean, I guess not a whole lot of people remember, but I do. Rivet, Wilkie and Fitzpatrick were clearly known as the possible next BIG 3 back in the days.....Yep....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
A schmuck who's made over $23 million dollars playing hockey. How much do you make?
You rate people as good or bad depending on how much they make? Thats er... oh well, you'll learn fast enough.

I'll never be a millionaire but Rivest is still a schmuck.

Old
01-18-2011, 05:40 PM
snakeye

LOL @ comparing Subban to Rivet.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:43 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I mean, I guess not a whole lot of people remember, but I do. Rivet, Wilkie and Fitzpatrick were clearly known as the possible next BIG 3 back in the days.....Yep....
I watched them all come up in Fredericton. I never expected Fitzpatrick to amount to much. I figured Wilkie was a lock, with that wicked wrist shot of his and pretty good hockey sense. He lost the latter once he hit the NHL, though, and the former wasn't enough to keep him there. Rivet was a good character guy on the farm. I figured he'd have a few good NHL years.

The guy that always surprised me was Vokoun. He never amounted to much in Fredericton and there was serious doubt he'd even make it to the big show. Theodore & Garon were looked at as the future franchise goalies. Go figure.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:43 PM
The Right Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
That sums it up. Thanks Craig. One of Bob's better trades certainly, if not the best.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:45 PM
The Right Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
The guy that always surprised me was Vokoun. He never amounted to much in Fredericton and there was serious doubt he'd even make it to the big show. Theodore & Garon were looked at as the future franchise goalies. Go figure.
Well to be honest Theodore was a good goalie back in the days.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Lets not forget that Rory Fitzpatrick almost went to an All star game in 06-07

Old
01-18-2011, 05:47 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Hey Rivet,

Thanks for Gorges and Pacioretty.

Sincerely,

Habs fans.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:50 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
i wonder what we could have gotten for Souray!

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:51 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROEN View Post
He's probably alluding to the famed Rivet - Souray - Koivu leadership ring that some say squashed the devellopment of guys like Higgins and Perezhogin
He always seemed like a decent fellow to me, Koivu and Souray too. It was just time to move away from that scene, too many years of too little results should have the leadership held accountable at some point. I bear no hard feelings toward any of those three (hell, even Kovalev).

What frustrates me is the giving up on young talent like Ribeiro, O'Byrne, Grabovski, Chipchura, Latendresse, Lapierre, SKost, etc. Not properly developing Perezhogin, AKost, Streit or Higgins.

Obviously some of those players had their own issues but this club needs proper player development, player psychology and social help (ahem, Higgins ). I'm not saying we had to have kept all of those players, I'm simply saying that for a team that had to out-source to get talent, they sure had a lot passing through their ranks.

The reason these players were marginalized or gave up on was simple: the team was not good enough to risk playing them and developing them. Why play SKost when you're down two goals? Why play O'Byrne if you want to protect the lead? Etc.

Ribeiro was pretty much a dump because the organization had no idea how to handle him, and that's pretty pathetic considering he's a MONTREALER and regular 70pt player and Gomez is on pace for 40 pts.

The point is, it wasn't necessarily on-ice leadership that befouled the locker room, it was the organizational stench that Gainey had to slowly remove. It's like a huge tanker, you can't just do a 180 in a season or two, it takes a while for the organizational philosophy to change... the hiring of Jacques "Michael Scott" Martin doesn't help much though, he's stubborn and notoriously impatient with bad-plays and miscues.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:56 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post

Seriously, why do you think he's a schmuck or do you think its cool to bash people for no reason? He was a good Hab and he landed us a good return on his years of service of play.
he's a brainless parrot

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 05:57 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
I'll never be a millionaire but Rivest is still a schmuck.
One comment doesn't define who a person is. So please tell me, what else have River done in his entire life to warrant you calling him a schmuck.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote