HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Craig Rivet

Old
01-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
One comment doesn't define who a person is. So please tell me, what else have River done in his entire life to warrant you calling him a schmuck.
Oh well you know... he doest make as much $$$ as other players so by your standards he MUST be a schmuck. Just following your lead here.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:02 PM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
< ---- face of a schmuck

coolasprICE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:12 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Oh well you know... he doest make as much $$$ as other players so by your standards he MUST be a schmuck. Just following your lead here.
By my standards, the schmucks of the NHL make $550k, he makes more than that, so he isn't a schmuck.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1380
I never liked him, i never thought he was that good and i'm a fan that can call him whatever i want. He's a schmuck in my eyes. Dont like it then dont read me. Thank you.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:21 PM
MXD

Is it me, or the guy is trying to have more importance (in Montreal) than he never really had?

Rivet becoming a leader of that team at some points says much more about the team than about Rivet. Sure, the guy had some qualities as a hockey player -- terrific work ethic (or else, he would never, ever have made it), good positionnal defensive play, and destroying opponents shinpads.

But still -- Rivet being talked off as a leader says more about the team than about Rivet, which basically means the guy shouldn't get that much attention. Don't forget that the HAbs-Rivet relation didn't end quite well, and was sour grapes in the few years that would follow towards the whole city.

So please Craig, take note of that. In the grand scheme of things, you were a glorified 4th D-Men on a decidedly average team. You might have played your heart out - and I'm sure you did, and thanks for the services. We have certainly overplayed you, but in the end, you were probably lucky that this happened. It doesn't make you a suitable model for a guy who comes from a much different (and, let's face it, much better) mold.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Teufelsdreck

Craig Rivet gave good service to the Habs for many years and he often fought for his teammates. However, Gainey pulled a coup when he traded him for Josh Gorges AND a first rounder who turned into Max Pacioretty..

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:33 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
By my standards, the schmucks of the NHL make $550k, he makes more than that, so he isn't a schmuck.
what do salary and being a schmuck have to do with anything?

coolasprICE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Surprised Rivet that talks so much...

Never a good thing...

Born in 1909 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Joe Lamb

Had season tickets to Freddy Beach, sat behind Agnus and Charlie.

Rivet was good there and the return he got us from Anaheim and getting the captain in Buffalo confirms to me that he had higher respect than by some on this board.I always felt he was a solid 3/4 defenceman.

Vokoun was much better than Garon at Freddy.

Joe Lamb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:21 PM
NewHabsEra*

Ive never liked Rivet, always thought he was hugely overrated.. it stinks everytimes he opens the mouth..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Seriously, why do you think he's a schmuck or do you think its cool to bash people for no reason?
Why would you ask such a question, or do you think it's intelligent to ask a question while proposing there is no answer in the same question? It wasn't even a rhetorical question. It was just dumb and obnoxious and, indeed, 'schmuck' personified. Hey, you can be Rivet minus the $23m.

Quote:
I never liked him, i never thought he was that good and i'm a fan that can call him whatever i want. He's a schmuck in my eyes. Dont like it then dont read me. Thank you.
Well played, sir.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:

Agree with everything in the above.

Rivet: overrated, overpaid...schmuck/bum.

And I don't ****ing care how much $$$ the schmuck has...he's still a schmuck.
All the money in the world won't save him from turning into a shriveled-up/wrinkled prune in the end. And, all the money in the world won't make the schmuck live forever...we all have to go one day and usually it's sooner than later since time zooms by.

You can be poor, rich, in the middle...and still be a ****ing big
schmuck, it's just more noticeable when you're rich...maybe.

Rivet's trademark: crosscheck, crosscheck, and more crosschecking (usually in front of the net) + getting so many penalties. Never saw anything else from him, except...crosschecking others. It made him look busy and tough with all those penalties minutes.

Bottom line: he was so overrated, so overpaid for a #6-7 dman, especially in his last 2 years. Reminds me a bit of Komisarek! ( so overrated/overpaid). Rivet and Komisarek belong in the AHL.

Sweet deal:
Overpaid #6-7 dman (Rivet)
FOR
Gorges+1st Round Pick (Pacioretty)

Another sweet deal:
Komisarek signing with the Leaves (we don't have to pay that very expensive #6dman contract!...absolutely no hockey sense).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 07:16 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I mean, I guess not a whole lot of people remember, but I do. Rivet, Wilkie and Fitzpatrick were clearly known as the possible next BIG 3 back in the days.....Yep....
Don't forget Brad Brown.

These names always come to mind as I read our prospects threads where people generally assume every player drafted is a stud that will have a great NHL career.

Edit: I am sure if Rivet opined that Subban was destined for great stardom he'd be more known on this thread as a the heart-and-soul top 4 defenseman. The people here who trash Rivet are making up their own history.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
Don't forget Brad Brown.

These names always come to mind as I read our prospects threads where people generally assume every player drafted is a stud that will have a great NHL career.

Edit: I am sure if Rivet opined that Subban was destined for great stardom he'd be more known on this thread as a the heart-and-soul top 4 defenseman. The people here who trash Rivet are making up their own history.
Brad Brown...almost forgot about that name.
I thought he could be the next Odelein for us (or something close).

Rivet...I really really honestly felt that he was so overrated, especially in his last 2 years (went from a very overrated #5dman to a very overrated #6dman...imo/my observations). To me his value should have been so low, next thing you know...we get a 1st + Gorges for him!!! (go figure! and still loving that trade!!). The positive about him...he defended some of his teammates, but still...Souray did it too and he's also a rich schmuck who is now riding a bus in some small town...I wonder how long this Oilers VS Souray thing will last!!

Souray makes so much money, he's a gladiator, he's invincible,etc,etc...
Too bad money won't make him live forever.
Too bad money won't stop him from aging fast.
All the money in the world will not make him young again.
Next time he turns around he will turn 50 and then 60...etc,etc...time flies.

You can have all the Ferraris in the world, well...I'm sure you understand by now!

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 01-23-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Habs

I liked Rivet when he was used properly, he was rather dependable and tough. They used him way too many important situations, that wasn't his fault, and he never had a great defense to cover for him.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 09:12 AM
angry pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
I watched them all come up in Fredericton. I never expected Fitzpatrick to amount to much. I figured Wilkie was a lock, with that wicked wrist shot of his and pretty good hockey sense. He lost the latter once he hit the NHL, though, and the former wasn't enough to keep him there. Rivet was a good character guy on the farm. I figured he'd have a few good NHL years.

The guy that always surprised me was Vokoun. He never amounted to much in Fredericton and there was serious doubt he'd even make it to the big show. Theodore & Garon were looked at as the future franchise goalies. Go figure.
I was always disapointed we let Vokoun go. I remember him absolutely dismanteling the Saint John Flames one night at Harbour Station. I remember expecting him to be the next big star. Albeit I was pretty young at the time and was basing my opinion on him from one Game of Fredricton vs Saint John.

Off topic, what great times the AHL was for Atlantic Canada in the 90's. Fredricton, Saint John, Moncton, St. Johns, Cape Breton & (Halifax?).

angry pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 09:30 AM
Habs 1909

List of players that dislike Subban:
1. Crosby
2. Richards
3. Dubinsky
4. Rivet
5. Gomez

Anyone else?

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 09:34 AM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG 91 View Post
1. Crosby
2. Richards
3. Dubinsky
4. Rivet
5. Gomez

Anyone else?
Bogosian

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 09:59 AM
nilan30

Rivet was one of my favourite Habs and I could care less what he or anyone says about Subban

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:10 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
1. Crosby
2. Richards
3. Dubinsky
4. Rivet
5. Gomez

Anyone else?
Shawn Thornton
Tyler Myers

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post
Rivet was one of my favourite Habs and I could care less what he or anyone says about Subban
I completely agree, Rivet was a beast for us a lot of the time and took on some pretty tough defensive assignments with aplomb. Fact of the matter is he was a dependable 2nd pairing guy with leadership qualities. Anything else is just revisionist history. He was good while he was with us; we traded him for excellent returns in a year where experienced d-men were at a premium on the market.

Whatever he said about Subban doesn't change what he accomplished while wearing the Jersey.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:55 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1347
I never liked Rivet. I felt he was horribly overpayed a la Brisebois back in the day. And he was also a defensive liability. I was amazed we got a first rounder out of him not to mention Gorges. Rivet was way overvalued. If he wants PK to become more like him then I really hope Subban does not heed his words of "wisdom".

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:26 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
1. Crosby
2. Richards
3. Dubinsky
4. Rivet
5. Gomez

Anyone else?
pleks.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Gally11

Quote:
1. Crosby
2. Richards
3. Dubinsky
4. Rivet
5. Gomez

Anyone else?

what about ex-goalies... tiny ones

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Nobody could hit opposing player's shin pads with his shot like good old Rivet. How he garnered a 1st, and Gorges?! is highway robbery.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote