HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Boston-Calgary

Old
01-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Rob Zepp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
The most I give for Iginla is Colborne, BOS 1st & prospect. His contract brings his value down, as does his age. Great player, just on the wrong side of the hill to expect the return package Flames fans are proposing.
Intelligent post.....better avatar!

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Jeff from Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnEmUp View Post
It's decent value, my only problem with it is this:

Two different directions are being taken with that trade. We are signaling a huge rebuild by trading Jarome Iginla and adding all those young pieces, but at the same time we are adding a 33 year old center who's signed until 40.

In a re-build scenario, I'd rather have Krejci, and then maybe take a piece or two out of the return.
How about...

Krejci, Ryder, Hamil and Bostons 1st in 2011 for...

Iginla and Bourque

Later

Jeff from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Havok89

Krejci
Tor. 1st
Salary dump

For...

Iginla
Regehr
3rd round pick

Havok89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Iggymonster

I'm sure iginla is worth to's 1st and +++ he would lead your team in scoring and bring slot of leardership + boston can't bring in anymore pospects because Boston already stacked and can't bring in anymore pospects because what would they do let them rot in the ahl until it's time for a rebuild?

Iggymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 12:23 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggymonster View Post
I'm sure iginla is worth to's 1st and +++ he would lead your team in scoring and bring slot of leardership + boston can't bring in anymore pospects because Boston already stacked and can't bring in anymore pospects because what would they do let them rot in the ahl until it's time for a rebuild?
He would also lead our team with his -10. Iggy is great and all but he WON'T come close to getting a lottery pick in any deal. He definately has good value but teams don't give up lottery picks (knowingly). They also don't give them up +++ for a 33 yr old power forward. He's got 3 years left in him at most IMO if lucky you'll get 4. Not worth a lottery pic and then some. FYI teams don't trade draft picks because they have too many prospects. Until they get into the NHL they are nothing more than prospects so the more you have the better chance you have of long term success. Another FYI when a player becomes a UFA it means that the team they played for no longer has to sign them and can create a spot or two on their roster for their young prospects so they don't have rot in the AHL.

dredeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:14 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
I would rather have Pronger then Iginla. Even more so if you consider Pronger's cap hit is $2+ million cheaper.
you would rather have Pronger who is signed until he is 42 on a 35+ contract?...

Pronger's cap hit better be $2 million lower when he is going to count against the cap until he is in a seniors center... Iginla's $7 million for 2 full seasons is much better than Pronger's for 6 full years

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
He would also lead our team with his -10.
yes compare +/- between a potential lottery team and the #1 defensive team in the league... that's really intelligent

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:27 AM
bbfan419

No way I do this deal Boston gives up way to much and I don't want either of these guys, Tanguay only seems to play well in Calgary and is 31 and Iginla is getting close to being washed up, big no thanks from the Bruins.

bbfan419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 06:56 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan419 View Post
No way I do this deal Boston gives up way to much and I don't want either of these guys, Tanguay only seems to play well in Calgary and is 31 and Iginla is getting close to being washed up, big no thanks from the Bruins.
the only place Tanguay played badly was Tampa Bay... people need to look at his GP in Montreal not just his total points...

and if Iginla is close to being washed up you should hurry and dump your beloved Chara because he's older than Iginla

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 07:51 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

I think some of the Calgary fans see that Toronto pick, and are dead set on including it in the package.... but here's the thing, Boston can put together a ridiculously good package without it, and without hurting their future or the present. Teams don't trade potential lottery picks for 34 year old players regardless of whether they need to or not, but when they don't it's silly to think they would.

Krejci, Boston 1st and Joe Colborne is a substantial package.Boston has no need to trade the Toronto pick when they can offer such a deal so folks should top making it a prerequisite. If it wouldn't bring in Iginla, it (or likely far less) could be used to bring in someone else that could have just as big an impact. Joni Pitkanen, Jussi Jokinen, Shane Doan, Simon Gagne, etc etc... No doubt there will be more then a few sellers come deadline day.

And Alex Tanguay is completely and totally redundant on Boston. I'd be very surprised if he was the type of player that would catch their interest in the least. End of day, I'm guessing it's all pretty moot. I doubt Calgary trades Iginla. A more likely target in my opinion would be Regehr.

Last edited by Kaoz: 01-21-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Ozy_Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Krejci, Boston 1st and Joe Colborne is a substantial package.Boston has no need to trade the Toronto pick when they can offer such a deal so folks should top making it a prerequisite. If it wouldn't bring in Iginla, it (or likely far less) could be used to bring in someone else that could have just as big an impact. Joni Pitkanen, Jussi Jokinen, Shane Doan, Simon Gagne, etc etc... No doubt there will be more then a few sellers come deadline day.
I disagree. Some players offer the intangibles that others cannot; Iginla has those in spades.

Also, we as armchair GM's might think we know what the deal is, but any GM knows that if trading a high pick means winning a cup, you go for the Cup win, not the high draft pick. That's what any good GM should be trying to achieve if it's within reach. I'd say Boston is well within reach for Stanley Cup contention, and are perfectly positioned to deal that Toronto pick.

Hey - it may not be to Calgary, but don't be so sure Chiarelli wouldn't flip it for the right package. And to be fair, I doubt it's even a top-three pick given how Edmonton, NJ and the Islanders are shattin' the bed.

Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I disagree. Some players offer the intangibles that others cannot; Iginla has those in spades.

Also, we as armchair GM's might think we know what the deal is, but any GM knows that if trading a high pick means winning a cup, you go for the Cup win, not the high draft pick. That's what any good GM should be trying to achieve if it's within reach. I'd say Boston is well within reach for Stanley Cup contention, and are perfectly positioned to deal that Toronto pick.

Hey - it may not be to Calgary, but don't be so sure Chiarelli wouldn't flip it for the right package. And to be fair, I doubt it's even a top-three pick given how Edmonton, NJ and the Islanders are shattin' the bed.
The TOR 1st is totally in play for the right package. Iginla isn't that package. He is a phenominal player whom would be a great fit in Boston. But his $7m cap hit for 2 more years is far too rich for us, & too much for a 33yr old 30 goal scorer. If Iginla were a $5m cap hit I think he'd be a serious target for contenders, but at his current cap hit, most teams will be reluctant to acquire him. Not to mention the assets that Calgary fans are suggesting it would take to acquire him. I can name numerous players I'd trade the TOR 1st for, unfortunately Jarome Iginla isn't one of them.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
The TOR 1st is totally in play for the right package. Iginla isn't that package. He is a phenominal player whom would be a great fit in Boston. But his $7m cap hit for 2 more years is far too rich for us, & too much for a 33yr old 30 goal scorer. If Iginla were a $5m cap hit I think he'd be a serious target for contenders, but at his current cap hit, most teams will be reluctant to acquire him. Not to mention the assets that Calgary fans are suggesting it would take to acquire him. I can name numerous players I'd trade the TOR 1st for, unfortunately Jarome Iginla isn't one of them.
That's all well and good, but is Chiarelli on the same boat as you? Just remember, your opinion is your opinion is your opinion. Your GM might not share the same one you have.

Iginla is a beast. He's a gamer. You look at 33-year olds and balk, but remember two things:

1. Iginla isn't your typical 33-year old. He's a phenomenal player who single-handedly changes flows of games. There's a reason why he's highly respected around the league, and it's not just because of his off-ice demeanour. He has skill, speed and strength. The man puts up points, and has done so without a premium centreman since, well, ever.

2. Iginla is a fitness machine. He's abnormal. He routinely beats younger kids in fitness testing and his fitness levels are that of someone in their mid-20's.

Iginla's contract is not, in any way, a detriment at the salary he's making. It's very common that premium players in the league, get, you know, compensated fairly.

There's a million other contracts out there that are worse than Jarome Iginla's, if his contract is bad even at all.

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:24 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
you would rather have Pronger who is signed until he is 42 on a 35+ contract?...

Pronger's cap hit better be $2 million lower when he is going to count against the cap until he is in a seniors center... Iginla's $7 million for 2 full seasons is much better than Pronger's for 6 full years

yes compare +/- between a potential lottery team and the #1 defensive team in the league... that's really intelligent
you don't like that comparison. How about him having the third worst on your team. Just an FYI read the post I responded to. His post was so ridiculous I had to put it.

Old
01-21-2011, 10:28 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
That's all well and good, but is Chiarelli on the same boat as you? Just remember, your opinion is your opinion is your opinion. Your GM might not share the same one you have.

Iginla is a beast. He's a gamer. You look at 33-year olds and balk, but remember two things:

1. Iginla isn't your typical 33-year old. He's a phenomenal player who single-handedly changes flows of games. There's a reason why he's highly respected around the league, and it's not just because of his off-ice demeanour. He has skill, speed and strength. The man puts up points, and has done so without a premium centreman since, well, ever.

2. Iginla is a fitness machine. He's abnormal. He routinely beats younger kids in fitness testing and his fitness levels are that of someone in their mid-20's.

Iginla's contract is not, in any way, a detriment at the salary he's making. It's very common that premium players in the league, get, you know, compensated fairly.

There's a million other contracts out there that are worse than Jarome Iginla's, if his contract is bad even at all.
i'm pretty sure Chia is on the exact same page as him. We don't have the cap space it's that simple. Everyone would like to have Iggy but in a cap world most teams simply can't afford to add him. BTW power forwards tend to slow down faster than other players because of the style of game they play. The most recent acception to that rule is Gary Roberts and it was because of his conditioning. If Jerome is like him he may play for a long time to come but Roberts was also more of a role player near the end.

Old
01-21-2011, 10:34 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
i'm pretty sure Chia is on the exact same page as him. We don't have the cap space it's that simple. Everyone would like to have Iggy but in a cap world most teams simply can't afford to add him. BTW power forwards tend to slow down faster than other players because of the style of game they play. The most recent acception to that rule is Gary Roberts and it was because of his conditioning. If Jerome is like him he may play for a long time to come but Roberts was also more of a role player near the end.
You don't know much about Iggy, because he hasen't been a PF for some time now. He'll be just fine for at least another 4 years at his current level of play. I do agree though that BOS would not be able to take on his contract. Unless Chia wanted to part with more in the future.

Problem is flames management should not give iggy up except for a really great deal. Unless he aks to be moved. He's that special of a player.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:36 AM
MaritimeHockeyNut
BRUINSrCHAMPS nextyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post

I have to agree here. I'd we willing to give up TO's first pick. I think Iginla is a true leader and would really make an impression on seguin in the next few years. Most of bostons core is under 26, imagine have a clear cut leader in a forward position that has the experiance to work with boston's young core. Makes so much sense, for what? 1 mid to high lvl prospect? I think it works well for both teams. Boston gets a scorer and an experianced leader in the forward position that looks like a bruin and calgary gets rejunvinated overnight. But regardless of where toronto's pick ends up as most of you have mentioned Calgary would need to also be compensated with a core player I think. Plus I'm not to much of a ryder fan at all and with this salary coming to Boston he'd have to be a piece going back as a cap dump.

But I still think its a pipe dream. Dont think Iginla is going anywhere.
My pipe dream
Iginla + Tanguay for TO's 1st, Krejci, Ryder (and maybe Hamil but not Colborne)
Pitkanen for Wheeler+Stuart+3rd
You make up the lines.... lol.

Last edited by MaritimeHockeyNut: 01-21-2011 at 10:41 AM.
MaritimeHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Baddkarma

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Only issue here is that Boston needs a PMD first. Iginla would be great for all he brings. But back end speed and transition comes first.

For the package Calgary would need to trade their captain and franchise star, the salary space required, and the need of the team willing to give those two things Boston does not seem like a likely destination were the Flames willing to consider/Iginla ask out.

The only real caveat here is that if Chia thinks the Bruins nightly compete level needs addressing and thinks this team can a make a legit shot at a cup run he might pull the trigger on a proven warrior/leader like Iggy. I just don't think the Bruins are there yet.

Baddkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:48 AM
patty59

I want Iginla on the Bruins more then most, but if TOR 1st is included there isn't going to be much more with it. In the salary cap era, those high picks are more valuable then most think, it's cheap labor. Iggy is a great talent, but he is not going to get you a lottery pick, no way in hell. He will get you a first and some other good pieces. The fact that now in the NHL you not only have to trade the player but also his contract it makes it a lot tougher to get deals done ad why most of the times big names are dealt it seems that the acquiring team is making out like bandits.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Ozy_Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
I want Iginla on the Bruins more then most, but if TOR 1st is included there isn't going to be much more with it. In the salary cap era, those high picks are more valuable then most think, it's cheap labor. Iggy is a great talent, but he is not going to get you a lottery pick, no way in hell. He will get you a first and some other good pieces. The fact that now in the NHL you not only have to trade the player but also his contract it makes it a lot tougher to get deals done ad why most of the times big names are dealt it seems that the acquiring team is making out like bandits.
I should preface this whole discussion that there is no "salary dump" on Calgary's part to get rid of Iginla's contract - Calgary is perfectly happy and comfortable to pay him what he earns.

There will be no fleecing going on here if Iginla's involved; most rational, knowledgable GM's will know that some restructuring has to be done to acquire Iginla if they're close to the cap ceiling. The only different is that guys like Iginla are worth doing that; guys like Gomez and Drury making the same amount are not.

Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post

So then let's do it this way. When was the last time a potential top 5 pick was dealt for an immediate upgrade? Age, Salary, additional pieces, throw them out the window for a minute. Quite simply, how often are those picks dealt (and I'm not talking about moving up or down a spot or two)?

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Savynquick*

Devils didn't need to include a lotto pick to get Kovi. Lol at the idea Boston would to get Iginla.

Savynquick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
Devils didn't need to include a lotto pick to get Kovi. Lol at the idea Boston would to get Iginla.
Not really apples to apples especially since Kovi wasn't signed past last season and was rumored to go back across the ocean.

In terms of the deal though- if Boston is looking to move the Toronto 1st and bring back a wing, why wouldn't they offer a package to LA for Brown and be getting back a younger player, on a better contract?

I think Kaoz pointed it all out pretty well- we can make a great deal without it being added, there's no reason to.

And if you think that Boston's cup window is at it's best this year, you're wrong. They still have holes and have parts coming up through the organization along with a developing Seguin. Core players are also signed for multiple year deals going forward.

As of now, we're not a favorite and I wouldn't spend a package like that to get locked into Iginla. As great as he is, it's a deal that could handcuff them if they need to make a move in the next 2-3 seasons when they have a better chance of winning the cup.

Also, from what we've heard from someone inside the Calgary organization, Iginla is going nowhere.

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Oates2Neely

If Calgary trades Iginla it will be because of one of two reasons:

1) They decide a rebuild is the best direction for their Franchise. They ship Iginla off to the highest bidder. In this example (re-build) keeping Iginla in Calgary really isn't an option.

2) If they dont like the offers they receive, decide to keep him into the offseason & just re-build w/ him remaining a Flame, but ship off Bouwmeester & or Kipper, perhaps there is a slight chance he'd request a trade as he may not be overly excited about finishing his career on a DNQ team.

Either way the Flames won't have the upper hand. It's not as if the team is a playoff bubble team & can take the classic hf ("we dont wanna trade him so it'll take overpayment") route. They cant afford to keep him & continue to be mediocre. The Iginla in Calgary Era may be coming to an end, Flames fans better brace for it... & dont expect Krejci-TOR 1st-Colborne type deals.

Or Calgary can choose to go for broke (no re-build), make a trade or two to bring talent in to help Iginla, perhaps a center (Savard?), or trade Bouwmeester or Regher or Kipper & use the capspace to make an offer for a #1 center in the offseason (Richards?).

Imo Calgary's best option is to re-build. Trade Iggy, Kipper, Bouwmeester, get as much in return as possible (picks/ prospects/ young players) & add to the core you already have (Bourque, Giordano etc..)

Last edited by Oates2Neely: 01-21-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 12:59 PM
ComixZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
Iginla >>>>>>> Kovalchuk.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Savynquick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Iginla >>>>>>> Kovalchuk.
Iginla is 7 years older, so imho if there's a gap in skill, the age totally negates it.

Savynquick* is offline   Reply With Quote