HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Boss not backing his player !!!

Old
01-19-2011, 11:54 AM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
Could he maybe just have given him a reminder to give props to his teammate who makes the play?

I want a coach that communicates and has something to say to his players. That's how you build relationships with them.

He spoke to PK about the celebration. That's all it says. It didn't even say what it was he said to him! He didn't say that he needs to tone it down or that it's not professional. He just said he spoke to him. He could have said "wow, never seen you celebrate like that. Musta been a big goal for you."

That's likely not what he said, but you're speculating based on very little which is what I just did there.

You're right, it's not likely what he said to PK was praise, so let's stop assuming he gave him praise and start assuming the obvious:

- he told him to tone it down a bit
- maybe he told him he should of went to Gomez 1st, but how many times do we see OT goal scorer go towards the team and not the passer?

JM should be celebrating the fact that he has a talented young with passion who sometimes borders on the edge of being ENTERTAINING, and stop trying to treat it like a problem by means of taming or altering his healthy demonstrations of personality and energy.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:18 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Could he maybe just have given him a reminder to give props to his teammate who makes the play?

I want a coach that communicates and has something to say to his players. That's how you build relationships with them.

He spoke to PK about the celebration. That's all it says. It didn't even say what it was he said to him! He didn't say that he needs to tone it down or that it's not professional. He just said he spoke to him. He could have said "wow, never seen you celebrate like that. Musta been a big goal for you."

That's likely not what he said, but you're speculating based on very little which is what I just did there.
It's part of the learning process? Are you serious, what the hell else could he be talking about. Suffice to say JM didn't like what PK did. Cammy is the only one who answered the questions in a positive way.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:27 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

I know I'm living in the past but I really wish we could have held onto Boucher, because he's exactly the kind of coach this team needs right now with younger players on the up & up.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
lol @ this whole thread

I watched the interview, and there should not be a discussion right now. TSN was trying to bait Martin into bashing PK, and Martin handled the question properly with the "learning to be a Pro" line.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
You're right, it's not likely what he said to PK was praise, so let's stop assuming he gave him praise and start assuming the obvious:

- maybe he told him he should of went to Gomez 1st, but how many times do we see OT goal scorer go towards the team and not the passer?

JM should be celebrating the fact that he has a talented young with passion who sometimes borders on the edge of being ENTERTAINING, and stop trying to treat it like a problem by means of taming or altering his healthy demonstrations of personality and energy.
I agree 100%

I mean seriously, what can a coach with 25 years coaching experience and who is almost 60 years old possibly teach PK that he doesn't already know?

Of course we on HF boards know exactly what's going on in the lockerroom and how the teams chemistry is affected. JM is purely making problems where there are none because he enjoys the drama and knows that creating drama in the lockerroom is the perfect way to ensure that you stay coaching in the NHL.

JM should be trying to grow the game, even if it does pi$$ off the veterans, I mean most of them have reached their potential and they're not going to be there in the future, which is really what's important.

I'm so sick of JM, any other coach would have taken this team to the SCF last year and probably the cup.

Sucks that management can be so pig headed on the issue.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 09:06 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
I agree 100%

I mean seriously, what can a coach with 25 years coaching experience and who is almost 60 years old possibly teach PK that he doesn't already know?

Of course we on HF boards know exactly what's going on in the lockerroom and how the teams chemistry is affected. JM is purely making problems where there are none because he enjoys the drama and knows that creating drama in the lockerroom is the perfect way to ensure that you stay coaching in the NHL.

JM should be trying to grow the game, even if it does pi$$ off the veterans, I mean most of them have reached their potential and they're not going to be there in the future, which is really what's important.

I'm so sick of JM, any other coach would have taken this team to the SCF last year and probably the cup.

Sucks that management can be so pig headed on the issue.
feel better now?

Old
01-19-2011, 10:01 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:

I'd like to see the interview where he or PK say that's what happened

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 11:17 PM
Lozela

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
He's the boss and he can say whatever he likes, that means the players better listen. There is a structure to a team and some 20 year old kid is not going to upset the apple cart. If that what Jacques prefers thats what jacques gets. Case closed, get over it kiddies.
You act like bosses can't get fired too

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
I know I'm living in the past but I really wish we could have held onto Boucher, because he's exactly the kind of coach this team needs right now with younger players on the up & up.
Actually what we need is a Tortorella to scare these punk little journalistd we have in MTL

Last edited by Habs 4 Life: 01-20-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Lozela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Guy Germaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozela View Post
You act like bosses can't get fired too

Actually what we need is a Tortorella to scare these punk little journalistd we have in MTL
yeah, that'll work real nice.

Reporter: So, since your now da coach of da Montreal Canadiens, when are you going to learn french"?

Tortorella: ****** you!!

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 09:14 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Germaine View Post
yeah, that'll work real nice.

Reporter: So, since your now da coach of da Montreal Canadiens, when are you going to learn french"?

Tortorella: ****** you!!

Torts would definitely bring a new dimension to the entertainment value.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 09:20 AM
BlackStar

Why didn't we fire Bowman after two years for being too short and bald?!

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Jigger77

For all anyone knows he told PK not to worry about it and to celebrate if he wants to. This thread is beyond rediculous. From talking to people who have met him personally, JM has a good sense of humour and is a lot less robotic than lead to believe here.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:45 AM
QuietReign

Fire Martin... i didnt mind him at first, but i hate him now... everything he does is killing this team... i love defensive style coaches but this guy has way too many flaws.... i cant stand him...

QuietReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:39 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Torts has got to be the most overrated coach in the league right now.

He's a modern-day Mike Keenan is all he is.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:43 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
I'd like to see the interview where he or PK say that's what happened
The fact that JM said he spoke to PK about the goal celebration and the professional comment was the proof

Old
01-20-2011, 11:50 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
The fact that JM said he spoke to PK about the goal celebration and the professional comment was the proof
Proof of what, that he spoke to PK? Sure. Nobody knows what they talked about. You can speculate all you want but it only leads to more bashing.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 12:14 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Proof of what, that he spoke to PK? Sure. Nobody knows what they talked about. You can speculate all you want but it only leads to more bashing.
what do you think he spoke about?

'' PK, I loved the way you celebrated out there tonight ''

Common sense people - he told him to tone it down.

Old
01-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Jigger77

Quote:

Common sense to me says he told him not to worry about it you're playing great. But it's not as fun or controversial so please, carry on with your lynch-mob.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 12:22 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Common sense to me says he told him not to worry about it you're playing great. But it's not as fun or controversial so please, carry on with your lynch-mob.
Ok, maybe we need Fel to post the youtube video of the conversation and see whose common sense makes more common sense

Old
01-20-2011, 12:34 PM
McGreat One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Its a constant struggle with some of you guys and habs coaches. The knock on carbo here was that he would complain too much to the refs... now its about showing no emotion.

BTW, Martin didnt come out and say he didnt like it, he simply stated that it was part of the maturation process. Anyways, I dont know how his celebration was any different than what burrows has been doing for a few years, yet subban gets all the attention over minuscule things.

I dont agree with martin on this case, but its small potatoes at the end of the day. It has nothing to do with not backing up a player. One thing martin doesnt do is embarrass individual players in front of the media.

I have no problem with the celebration. No one had a problem when Selanne threw his glove in the air and used his stick as a rifle to shoot it down, and even this year Taylor Hall scored a goal against Colorado with seconds left to win the game and had a pretty exuberant celebration and no one complained about that either. Subban's was no different IMO. I do believe however that seeing how no one really knows what Martin actually said to PK than this thread has been blown way out of proportion. And even if he did tell Subban to tone it down a bit he has all the right in the world to do so. He's the head coach guys. If he wants players to perform a certain way than they better perform that way. Players have been following coaches orders since hockey began, it's the way it's always been and it's the way it should be.

Also please....please......please don't compare this to Alex Burrows' situation. Subban did it because he was excited about scoring in OT to give his team the victory. Burrows has been doing this celebration as a tribute to former teammate and good friend Luc Bourdon who used this celebration in junior. Players know this, fans know this and the media knows this and this is why no one ever had a problem with Burrows doing it. Two totally different situations.

McGreat One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:54 PM
ILUVTHISGAME

Quote:
Torts has got to be the most overrated coach in the league right now.

He's a modern-day Mike Keenan is all he is.
Absolutely agree!! He is a true master of deflection: When his team plays badly or he gets out-coached, he deflects the questions to the reporter asking the questions thereby making the reporter look foolish and himself look brilliant.

However, seeing Tortorella pull a fit is such great fun!

ILUVTHISGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:46 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:

Common sense would be not speculating or talking out of your ass when you don't know what really happened between these two.

Old
01-20-2011, 03:19 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Common sense would be not speculating or talking out of your ass when you don't know what really happened between these two.
so we're supposed to watch the interview and have no opinion whatsoever on the implications of what he said ... Gotchya.

Love the denial

Old
01-20-2011, 03:31 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
so we're supposed to watch the interview and have no opinion whatsoever on the implications of what he said ... Gotchya.

Love the denial
You can have your opinion. Just don't say that this is what happened. That is all.

Old
01-20-2011, 03:59 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
You can have your opinion. Just don't say that this is what happened. That is all.
I'm connecting the dots.

It be nice to get the interview on youtube. Obviously JM wasn't trashing PK, but he states he had a few words about his celebration and that PK is learning how to be a pro.

I mean, if he had no issue with the celebration it's pretty common sense that he would have answered " I did not speak to PK about it ''.

Old school vs new school -- in 10-20 years, we'll be looking back with laughs (and hopefully not regret) about how the entire league is treating PK