HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Draft position and playoffs

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2011, 08:30 AM
glenn77

vCash: 500
Draft position and playoffs

I work with a bunch of Maple Laugh fans who say that the better Boston does in the playoffs the better draft pick they get...??

Am I missing something here? I thought the deeper U go the worse pick you get......????

Old
04-18-2011, 08:45 AM
bhuya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn77 View Post
I work with a bunch of Maple Laugh fans who say that the better Boston does in the playoffs the better draft pick they get...??

Am I missing something here? I thought the deeper U go the worse pick you get......????
Your pick only gets worse if you make the semi finals because its 27th or greater from that depending on where you finish but besides that it remains the same

Old
04-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Try to get them fired for lying

Old
04-18-2011, 08:54 AM
glenn77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Try to get them fired for lying
They are Leaf fans.....need I say more....

Old
04-18-2011, 09:10 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
they are leaf fans
no one ever said they were smart

Old
04-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Oh no The IQ of the Hockey world must be sub zero. Please hockey fans be smart for one :

Old
04-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

They had a deal worked out for the Kaberle deal. The 1st round yes it would be worse but if the Bruins went past 2 rounds I believe they would also be receiving a 2nd rounder instead of a 3rd or 4th. Something like that not sure exactly of the works in that trade, only thing I know is the Leafs won that one!

Old
04-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

The Leafs get a conditional 2nd round pick from Boston for the Kaberle deal if they make the SC Final.

Old
04-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
They had a deal worked out for the Kaberle deal. The 1st round yes it would be worse but if the Bruins went past 2 rounds I believe they would also be receiving a 2nd rounder instead of a 3rd or 4th. Something like that not sure exactly of the works in that trade, only thing I know is the Leafs won that one!
I think the Leafs get the 2nd if the Bruins make it to the Stanley Cup Finals or if Kaberle re-signs with them.

Also, the way the draft pick moves during the playoffs is dependent on the conference finals:

1. Teams in the Conference Finals (final 4) are ranked from 30th (SC winners) to 27th (lower pts out of final 2 losers).

2. Teams that made the playoffs but lost in the first 2 rounds (so that's 12 teams) are ranked based on their regular season position from 15th to 26th.

So if the Bruins lose, but 4 teams that have a better pick position than them make it to the final 4, then the Bruins pick gets to move up 4 spots. Which is the maximum it can move (I think).

Old
04-18-2011, 12:13 PM
No Team Needed

If the Final Four becomes Montreal/Buffalo and LA/Chicago, the leafs will be picking 18th.

Otherwise? They are picking 22nd.

Old
04-18-2011, 12:40 PM
onice

Quote:

I think the obvious was staring you in the face.

Old
04-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Kirk Muller

A little off topic but i don't like how the pick gets worse as you make it further in the playoffs.

If you are a 16th seed who has a magical run to lose in the finals, you pick 29th. While the run is amazing, you are basically being punished for it.

Old
04-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Max et Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
A little off topic but i don't like how the pick gets worse as you make it further in the playoffs.

If you are a 16th seed who has a magical run to lose in the finals, you pick 29th. While the run is amazing, you are basically being punished for it.
Agreed, it's completely retarded and that's what happened to us last year. We finished 16th but got the 27th overall pick (which we traded to move up and get Tinordi). Personally, as much fun as it was to watch the playoffs, I would've rather have lost to the Penguins in 7, be happy with upsetting the caps and drafting 15th.

Old
04-18-2011, 02:09 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max et Guillaume View Post
Agreed, it's completely retarded and that's what happened to us last year. We finished 16th but got the 27th overall pick (which we traded to move up and get Tinordi). Personally, as much fun as it was to watch the playoffs, I would've rather have lost to the Penguins in 7, be happy with upsetting the caps and drafting 15th.
Actually, IIRC, Habs were 19th, making them draft at 11th.

Old
04-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Actually, IIRC, Habs were 19th, making them draft at 11th.
?

14 teams are eliminated therefore they have the top picks. Last year we had the 16th pick if we wouldn't had pass the 2nd round

Old
04-18-2011, 02:20 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
?

14 teams are eliminated therefore they have the top picks. Last year we had the 16th pick if we wouldn't had pass the 2nd round
http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...92010&type=lea

Some teams in the West that didn't make the POs had more points than the Habs.

Old
04-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...92010&type=lea

Some teams in the West that didn't make the POs had more points than the Habs.
I believe the teams that don't make the playoffs automatically get the picks, after that it's the team with the less points that are in the playoffs, could be wrong but I'm pretty sure

Old
04-18-2011, 02:55 PM
frederixx

Whichever team wins the Stanley Cup is awarded the 30th and last pick, while the runner-up is given the 29th pick. The teams eliminated in the conference finals are awarded the 28th and 27th picks, with the 28th pick going to the team with the better regular season record. Remaining division winners, then wild card teams are ranked next, filling in the 26th through 15th picks. In both cases, better records result in later picks.

i) First the Clubs which failed to qualify for the preceding playoffs in the order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest points total and followed by the Club having the next lowest points total, and so forth.
ii) The Clubs which participated in the preceding playoffs (but had not been ranked first in their respective Divisions and had not won the Stanley Cup that season) in order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest total points and followed by the Club having the next lowest total points, and so forth.
iii) The Clubs which had been ranked first in their Divisions during the next preceding season (but had not won the Stanley Cup that season) in the order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest total points and followed by the Club having the next lowest total points, and so forth.
iv) The Stanley Cup winner shall select last, thus, positioning all Clubs on the list.

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 04-18-2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: added info from poster
Old
04-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by frederixx View Post
Whichever team wins the Stanley Cup is awarded the 30th and last pick, while the runner-up is given the 29th pick. The teams eliminated in the conference finals are awarded the 28th and 27th picks, with the 28th pick going to the team with the better regular season record. Remaining division winners, then wild card teams are ranked next, filling in the 26th through 15th picks. In both cases, better records result in later picks
The answers have been provided.

/thread !

Closed Thread