HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill X

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2011, 01:43 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
I thought skating was one of Hickey's strengths, least from his scouting reports, drawing comparisons to a young Scott Niedermayer with his ability to skate and use it as a strength in leading offensive rushes as well as making strong defensive plays. He seems to be improving as the season progresses in Manchester, and seeing how he is still only 21, I think there is still a ton of room and some time for Hickey to continue to get better and stronger.

Judging from Ron Hextall's comments on Hickey's play during the playoffs, he had a monumental effect on Manchester's success during the playoffs, despite only appearing in four games. I think he was faced with insurmountable pressure from fans and the hockey media solely for his draft position. It is something he had no control over, but that raised the bar on expectations and I think there is still time for him to prove why the Kings thought so highly of him in 2007. The kid still has untapped potential.

From my personal viewing of Hickey the past few years, I do recall him coming close to cracking the Kings roster in previous camps. Some seasons those chances were derailed due to various ailments and injuries, but that is something he can overcome and is trying to demonstrate that this season in his first healthy year in Manchester.

In this day and age of hockey, you need a lot of mobility to enjoy success, and that is an area the Kings are lacking in throughout their lineup. Hickey has the skills to address that problem. I think the Kings are taking a different approach in bringing him along and are going to take their time until he is ripe before inserting him into the lineup (that is if he isn't part of a trade). Just to cite a few examples, Rafalski was 26, Boyle was 24 and Timonen was 23 when each player were considered full time NHLers.

As a GM, Lombardi has to explore all options that could improve his team, but he also has to know for certain that the asset he is giving up is not going to get better (or is better) than the one he is acquiring. Could the Kings' blueline improve? Sure it could, but if Doughty and Johnson continue to get better and play up to their abilities, that shouldn't be much of a concern.

Puck movement is the biggest concern for this team right now, so if there is any player out there that could become available that could help the Kings in that area, then I'm sure you can label the Kings as a suitor for that player.

Old
01-24-2011, 12:50 PM
verbalkint47

@ tonellisghost
thanks for the read. just wanted some more thoughts on hickey. i heard someone compare him to rafalski. from what i've read it sounds like (imo) he's more like a paul martin type of player. good all-around d-men, jack of all trades type, good positioning, skates well, pmd, not necessarily a top point producer but does everything well.
is that a fair assesment? thoughts? thanks again for all the updates/readups.

Old
01-24-2011, 01:13 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbalkint47 View Post
@ tonellisghost
thanks for the read. just wanted some more thoughts on hickey. i heard someone compare him to rafalski. from what i've read it sounds like (imo) he's more like a paul martin type of player. good all-around d-men, jack of all trades type, good positioning, skates well, pmd, not necessarily a top point producer but does everything well.
is that a fair assesment? thoughts? thanks again for all the updates/readups.
Thanks,

That is an interesting comparison and one for thought. I can see aspects of Martin's game in Hickey but he (TH) has the ability to make seriously flashy plays where I see Martins game as just being solid in everything he does.

The Rafalski comparison is fair but then I see Hickey having a less confident game offencively so it might be a bit of a reach. Of course this is all speculation but if he continues to develop at the rate that he is developing as a player then I could see him potentially becoming a comparable player to either given the right set of circumstances. Maybe a highbrid Martin with slighty more flash. Of course, its all up to Hickey at this point.

Old
01-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Whiskeypete

where do you see Teubert fitting in at this point? seems as though it may not happen due to depth at the D spot. if memory serves his style and forecasted position at the time of the draft was a stay at home D. a big body that was going to be a punishing D.

in three years time i would expect the back end to be comprised of:
DD, JJ, VV and/or TH. with these three you have PMD's with mobility on each unit.

willie, scuds will both have expiring contracts after 2012-13. Greener is signed through 2013-14, so he stays or is traded depending on the development of the 'kids'.

so then out of Muzzin, AMart (who i am very pleased with to date), DD44 stick? not to mention if Forbort in the next three years bolts up the depth chart once he's done at ND.

LA has the PMD's it's evident, but someone needs to step up and have that 'stay at home' mentality and brings the body with full effect/force.

Old
01-25-2011, 08:56 PM
KingPuckChoo

2 guys to sign this summer: Alex Semin (RW) & Brooks Laich (LW)

Loktionov - Kopitar - Semin
Laich - Schenn - Brown
Parse - Stoll - Simmonds
Smyth - Clifford - Lewis

Richardson, Moller

Mitchell - Doughty
Scuderi - JMFJ
Greene - Voynov

Drewiske/Martinez

Quick
Bernier

no?

Old
01-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Duc620

Shouldn't Loktionov stay at his natural position - center?

Are we all completely sold on Semin? Is he tough enough for the West? Tough enough to take everyone pressuring him and attacking him? Can he handle the spotlight? Or is he more comfortable behind Ovie and others?

It seems to me the Kings are building a very tough playoff kind of team.... big fast players who body the opponent and are focused on defense. But have the skill to counter attack. This doesn't play well in the regular season because opponents only face you one game at a time (yeah, I know, back-to-back's, not the same). But in a playoff series, opponents are going to get worn down over four or five games. That's what we nearly did to Vancouver.

Does Semin fit that picture? Assuming my analysis is correct?! (HA!)

Or maybe there is there a dark horse candidate for the (magic unicorn) Kings LW / Sniper? Maybe someone bigger and tougher. Not the elite sniper type - not a Semin or Gaborik... more like a Nash. Who could that be?

Last edited by Duc620: 01-25-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old
01-25-2011, 09:07 PM
KingPuckChoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Shouldn't Loktionov stay at his natural position - center?

Are we all completely sold on Semin? Is he tough enough for the West? Tough enough to take everyone pressuring him and attacking him? Can he handle the spotlight? Or is he more comfortable behind Ovie and others?

Or maybe there is there a dark horse candidate for the (magic unicorn) Kings LW / Sniper?
Semin isnt tough...his role on the kings should be to score 30goals period.

i know he's not gonna get 90pts like he did with Ovech in Wsh

but if he does something like 71gp - 33goals - 27assists - 60pts (approx, per season)

i'll be happy

i'd sign him 5.5 for 3 yrs

Old
01-25-2011, 09:11 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I agree duc, I am not sold in Semin being available or coming to us anymore than I am that he will be the answer. He is rumored to have been an off and on problem in the Caps locker room and while he is a gifted player our locker room is fragile enough as it is and I don't know if we need to be making that kind of room.

We could be closer by then in other ways.

Old
01-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Duc620

Sure. I'd be happy with the 5.5 over 3. More than happy. But I suspect he's going to attract more interest than that number. I guessing 6+.

Maybe he carries you into the playoffs. But a player like that, if they disappear (mind you, this is not a prediction), they leave a bigger hole because other players on the team have fit into their supporting roles on the basis of the elite players ability. When the elite player disappears you end up with a bigger hole.

If you have everyone cranking at a bit lower level... it's not such a reach to fill that hole like it is with a 30-40 goal guy...

Old
01-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPuckChoo View Post

Laich - Schenn - Brown
Parse - Stoll - Simmonds
Smyth - Clifford - Lewis

Richardson, Moller

Mitchell - Doughty
Scuderi - JMFJ
Greene - Voynov

Drewiske/Martinez

Quick
Bernier

no?
That lineup would score too many goals for Murray's system. Needs more grinders and enforcers.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Old
01-25-2011, 10:53 PM
unhinged97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
That lineup would score too many goals for Murray's system. Needs more grinders and enforcers.

Quote:

Laich - Schenn - Brown
Parse - Stoll - Simmonds
Smyth - Clifford - Lewis

Richardson, Moller

Mitchell - Doughty
Scuderi - JMFJ
Greene - Voynov

Drewiske/Martinez

Quick
Bernier

no?
Laich is a natural center. Has he ever played wing in the NHL?

Last edited by unhinged97: 01-25-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old
01-25-2011, 11:20 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhinged97 View Post

Laich is a natural center. Has he ever played wing in the NHL?
TSN has him listed as a LW
http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=2553

Old
01-25-2011, 11:30 PM
Ollie Weeks

Ville Leino would be neat, provided he tests free agency.

Old
01-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Laich is primarily a LW who can play C. The four regular centers on the Caps are Backstrom, Johansson, Steckel and Gordon.

Old
01-25-2011, 11:44 PM
unhinged97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Laich is primarily a LW who can play C. The four regular centers on the Caps are Backstrom, Johansson, Steckel and Gordon.
While I've seen him listed at both positions, the Caps themselves list him as a center.

Old
01-25-2011, 11:56 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:

Laich - Schenn - Brown
Parse - Stoll - Simmonds
Smyth - Clifford - Lewis

Richardson, Moller

Mitchell - Doughty
Scuderi - JMFJ
Greene - Voynov

Drewiske/Martinez

Quick
Bernier

no?
Clifford at center? Whaaat? Ryan Smyth 4th line winger? whahhahaatttt.. Let's look at next year's lineup from a more realistic standpoint lol..

Loktionov-Kopitar-Semin (?)
Smyth-Stoll-Brown
Clifford-Schenn-Simmonds
Parse-Lewis-Richardson

Mitchell-Doughty
Scuderi-JJ
Greene-Martinez/Voynov/Muzzin

Old
01-26-2011, 12:00 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

We have this dman that goes by the name of Nic Delasauris (sp) who could possibly make Hickey tradeable. I cant tell you how happy I am that we have this problem with so many young D. Can you say formidable anyway you cut it. Its good to be THE KING.......

Hickey
Tuebert
Forbert
Delasauris
Voynov
Campbell
Whiskey
A-Mart
Harrold

Old
01-26-2011, 12:12 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Clifford at center? Whaaat? Ryan Smyth 4th line winger? whahhahaatttt.. Let's look at next year's lineup from a more realistic standpoint lol..

Loktionov-Kopitar-Semin (?)
Smyth-Stoll-Brown
Clifford-Schenn-Simmonds
Parse-Lewis-Richardson

Mitchell-Doughty
Scuderi-JJ
Greene-Martinez/Voynov/Muzzin

I like what ya got but the first line seems FRAAAGEEELAAAEEEE. I like
Richards instead. Resign Williams and (sell) trade Stoll and Zues and Smyth at the deadline. I know wishful thinking.

Richards Kopi Willams
Loki Schenn Brown
Clifford Lewis Simmonds
Parse Richardson Holloway

Old
01-26-2011, 12:28 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
We have this dman that goes by the name of Nic Delasauris (sp) who could possibly make Hickey tradeable. I cant tell you how happy I am that we have this problem with so many young D. Can you say formidable anyway you cut it. Its good to be THE KING.......

Hickey
Muzzin
Tuebert
Forbert
Delasauris
Voynov
Campbell
Whiskey
A-Mart
Harrold
Just thought I would add Muzzin for you. When you add in the fact that DD8 is 21 and JJ is 24 along with A-Mart 23 these are all very young kids by NHL defenceman standards. Add in Voynov and Muzzin as our vet D contracts expire and we become younger and scarier. Every year or two we have an experienced 2nd or 3rd pairing PMD to move if needed and can make room for Deslauriers and Forbert etc.

It is scary how seriously well set up we are on D. This alone for me is the reason to keep DL above all else as his scouts are amazing at drafting legitimate NHL caliber kids.

Old
01-26-2011, 12:43 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
I like what ya got but the first line seems FRAAAGEEELAAAEEEE. I like
Richards instead. Resign Williams and (sell) trade Stoll and Zues and Smyth at the deadline. I know wishful thinking.

Richards Kopi Willams
Loki Schenn Brown
Clifford Lewis Simmonds
Parse Richardson Holloway
Richards at any position other than center and PP QB is a complete waste of his talents. If we're going with your scenario...

Loktionov - Kopitar - Brown
Parse - Richards - Williams
Clifford - Schenn - Simmonds
Richardson xxx xxx

And the first PP unit would look like

Schenn/Lokti - Kopitar - Williams
Doughty - Richards

But ideally we can keep one of Smyth, Sturm or Poni to add some LW oomph.

Old
01-26-2011, 01:16 AM
123slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Richards at any position other than center and PP QB is a complete waste of his talents. If we're going with your scenario...

Richardson xxx xxx

Doughty - Richards

Smyth isn't going anywhere. Poni and Sturm are not getting re-signed.

But, I agree. Richards is too good at creating opportunities as a center.

Old
01-26-2011, 01:25 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post

Richardson xxx xxx

Doughty - Richards

Lewis as the 4th line center, I don't even see how that is out of the question. Problem is: what do you do with Smyth and Stoll lol? No one wants to take Smyth's ridiculous contract or Stoll. What's Brad Richards faceoff % like? Without Stoll and Handzus, we pretty become the worst faceoff team lol.

Loktionov-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Richards-Williams
Clifford-Schenn-Simmonds
Richardson-Lewis-Parse/Westgarth

Old
01-26-2011, 01:28 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Just thought I would add Muzzin for you. When you add in the fact that DD8 is 21 and JJ is 24 along with A-Mart 23 these are all very young kids by NHL defenceman standards. Add in Voynov and Muzzin as our vet D contracts expire and we become younger and scarier. Every year or two we have an experienced 2nd or 3rd pairing PMD to move if needed and can make room for Deslauriers and Forbert etc.

It is scary how seriously well set up we are on D. This alone for me is the reason to keep DL above all else as his scouts are amazing at drafting legitimate NHL caliber defensemen.
He's proven he can draft D prospects well very well but when it comes to offense, we've literally got no one who can become a top 6 forward but Brayden Schenn, Andrei Loktionov, Oscar Moller and Tyler Toffoli.. Maybe Brandon Kozun one day, that's wishful thinking though

Old
01-26-2011, 01:32 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Linden Vey and Kitstyn too and I still think that Simmonds and Clifford will both evolve into 20 goal scorers.

Old
01-26-2011, 01:43 AM
johnjm22

I don't think DL signs Richards, contract length being the sticking point, but if he did, this would look awfully sexy:

Loktionov-Richards-Kopitar
Smyth-Schenn-Brown
Parse-Stoll-Simmonds
Richardson-Lewis-Clifford

Closed Thread