HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Should no playoffs = the end of DL and TM

Old
01-19-2011, 01:56 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Dear god nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

he was the guy who saw the red flags raising in the Heatley talkings
and Heatley has worked out so well in SJ that people are wondering how/when the Sharks will be rid of him.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:08 PM
butthead666

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
and Heatley has worked out so well in SJ that people are wondering how/when the Sharks will be rid of him.
He did help them make it to the WCF last year after a few seasons of playoff flops.

butthead666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:47 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead666 View Post
He did help them make it to the WCF last year after a few seasons of playoff flops.
He was a ppg player that played soft and uninspired Hockey. Those points came when San Jose had games in control.

The fans in San Jose can't wait to get rid of him. He is the softest player of his Size and skill I have ever seen.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:51 AM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
I could not disagree more. You are looking at this from a fan's POV and not ownership.

AEG knows the details of every decision DL makes or attempts - from the free agents he wants to sign to the trades he tries to make. They know the "inside" market on what players are available for trade and why players "really" didn't sign in LA. They can very objectively determine how much is DL's fault and how much is just out of his control. My guess is that most of the non-movement that fans complain about is simply because there is no move to make unless it is done on very unfavorable terms to the team and organization. Further, AEG has to do a self-assessment about their role in the Kovalchuk saga and how that tied DL's hands for most of the summer. If they forced Kovalchuk upon him then they can't blame him for the resulting problems afterwards.

AEG also needs to think about who would replace DL and what the mission would be. Would a new GM be any more successful in bringing in free agents? Doubtful. Would a new GM be any more successful in making trades? Sure...if players like Schenn or Doughty are going the other way.

DL has made some mistakes but every GM does. The direction under him is clear, however, and I think LA has garnered much more respect around the league under his direction. Compare and contrast that to other teams like Toronto, Columbus, and Edmonton. It could be much worse.
Tom, I'm still waiting to see all of the positive and magical things that DL has accomplished in his time here. IMO, the draft record could have been matched or exceeded just by taking the BPA using one of the draft magazines - no magic there. His free agent signings have been either non-existent, injured, massively overpaid, or just straight out awful. He is barely in the plus side of the ledger on his trades - so many productive players have been shipped out only to years of solid play for other organ-eye-zations. The team record after 46 games is nearly identical to the record they had in 2005/6 with DT and AM - and they both got canned.

Apparently we are now waiting for the 3rd wave of prospects to gain enough experience to let their skill pull the team out of the black hole, so we are now talking about another 3-4 years of lowered expectations. Has any GM been given that long to show any tangible results (other than Dave Taylor)?

It's impossible for an outsider to say how much of this is due to AEG meddling and mandate, but DL made it very clear coming in that he wouldn't stand for that and wouldn't take the job if that was the case. Either way, it doesn't help his case.

Honestly, I think you would have been a better choice

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 05:54 PM
kingscourt26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Tom, I'm still waiting to see all of the positive and magical things that DL has accomplished in his time here. IMO, the draft record could have been matched or exceeded just by taking the BPA using one of the draft magazines - no magic there. His free agent signings have been either non-existent, injured, massively overpaid, or just straight out awful. He is barely in the plus side of the ledger on his trades - so many productive players have been shipped out only to years of solid play for other organ-eye-zations. The team record after 46 games is nearly identical to the record they had in 2005/6 with DT and AM - and they both got canned.

Apparently we are now waiting for the 3rd wave of prospects to gain enough experience to let their skill pull the team out of the black hole, so we are now talking about another 3-4 years of lowered expectations. Has any GM been given that long to show any tangible results (other than Dave Taylor)?

It's impossible for an outsider to say how much of this is due to AEG meddling and mandate, but DL made it very clear coming in that he wouldn't stand for that and wouldn't take the job if that was the case. Either way, it doesn't help his case.

kingscourt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 08:32 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post

2nd wave, and the cupboard was bare.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:14 PM
AStammer7*

It Was Inevitable Kings Step Backwards!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscourt26 View Post
I agree. The problem is, if Dean doesn't let go of Murray, he is equally responsible for this team's failure. Dean needs to do something now to try and salvage the season or else I hold him just as accountable for not taking action when the team is in a nose dive towards the bottom of the conference.
After haviing made the playoffs and filling LA fans with so much hope,the Kings have taken a step backwards. Part of the problem has been injuries(Mitchell,Ponikarovsky,Parse...) but changing personnel(AFrolov) will also have an effect too. The Kings tried also to bring in some youngsters(Loktionov,Schenn) at the beginning that weren't quite ready. Things were in a bit of flux. Coach Murray who got more out of the team last year seems to have lost his magic. And the vets from last year are a year older...Some contracts are also up(Williams,Handzus,Harrold,Ponikarovsky,Sturm)... and with DLombardi's track record in regards to UFA it has to have made players notice and wonder about. Last year Kopi played with Will and Smyth but that got broken apart when injuries took there toll. Stoll had Brown for a time which seemed to be a good fit, centered for Smyth and Williams. It seemed as though Murray was at his wits end to find some chemistry. Maybe Murray should've left well enough alone...I think that if the Kings don't find their way out of this funk then its time to be sellers and let the youngsters in Manchester together with our Core have at it...Kings have some excellent young talent,they need to be exposed to find out if they can hack the NHL...

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote