HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where Art Thou, Captain Brown?

Old
01-19-2011, 01:56 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Where Art Thou, Captain Brown?

A lot has to be said about the leadership on this team, particularly, the captain. He is looked upon as the on-ice and off-ice leader, someone with the ability to take charge and lead by example. And over the past 11 games, how has the shy, nonexistent leader of this team performed?

11GP, 1G, 3PTS, 10 minutes in worthless penalties, -5, 24SOG.

Overall, he has performed quite well this season, but where has he been when this team needs him most? He has disappeared not only from the score sheet, but he has provided no spark whatsoever on the ice. No game changing hit, no momentum building shifts, no aggressive forecheck, nothing.

Is it too much to ask for the supposed leader of this team to show a damn pulse and do something on the ice that displays leadership? Where is the accountability on this team? I look at how the Sharks went through a similar situation with Patrick Marleau, who much like Brown, was also shy. They made a necessary change and Marleau responded with a career year last season. I don't think Brown is cut in the mold of a captain and it may be a huge burden lifted off his back by relieving him of the captaincy. Remove that pressure from him and hand it to someone who is capable of leading this team.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:01 AM
MxH0CKEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
A lot has to be said about the leadership on this team, particularly, the captain. He is looked upon as the on-ice and off-ice leader, someone with the ability to take charge and lead by example. And over the past 11 games, how has the shy, nonexistent leader of this team performed?

Overall, he has performed quite well this season, but where has he been when this team needs him most? He has disappeared not only from the score sheet, but he has provided no spark whatsoever on the ice. No game changing hit, no momentum building shifts, no aggressive forecheck, nothing.

Is it too much to ask for the supposed leader of this team to show a damn pulse and do something on the ice that displays leadership? Where is the accountability on this team? I look at how the Sharks went through a similar situation with Patrick Marleau, who much like Brown, was also shy. They made a necessary change and Marleau responded with a career year last season. I don't think Brown is cut in the mold of a captain and it may be a huge burden lifted off his back by relieving him of the captaincy. Remove that pressure from him and hand it to someone who is capable of leading this team.
I definitely agree with you. He has to be the kind of guy to pull us out of this slump. He has shown no signs of doing so. I think he is better suited for an assistant captain. Right now, I don't see anyone who can be captain on the team as no one is showing up on and off the ice. Again Murray.. MAKE A STATEMENT! Somehow someway. Needs to be now or never and we can kiss the season good-bye.

MxH0CKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:02 AM
butthead666

Quote:

I mentioned this after the St. Louis game at Staples. If I was GM I would do this before I would fire the coach and see if it sparked the team at all.

butthead666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 09:49 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:

... He's having the best season of his career. But yes let's hammer him over a small stretch of games where the entire team has struggled and the head coach changes the lines every 15 minutes. That's the ticket.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... He's having the best season of his career. But yes let's hammer him over a small stretch of games where the entire team has struggled and the head coach changes the lines every 15 minutes. That's the ticket.
You turn this argument about leadership into points? . . you must be a big fan of basketball

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Quote:

The Marleau comparison is spot on, I'm in total agreement with you

Old
01-19-2011, 10:07 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
You turn this argument about leadership into points? . . you must be a big fan of basketball
... If I'm not mistaken, the original post had a reference to goals and points, did it not? And which other area of the game has he not had his best season ever?

Look, I get that you can't stand Brown. It's cool, it's your opinion. But to single him out when he's having a career year for an entire team that has struggled over the last 10-11 games at one point or another is over-simplistic and ridiculous.

Old
01-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Brown needs to have a chat with double rainbow guy about passion

Bad Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Quattro

did we really need another thread on this?

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I like Brown as a player and I'm glad he is having a career year statistcally but I'm not looking for stats. I'm looking for him to do something to fire the team up. I personally think he was a poor choice in captain and it really has become evident the past couple of weeks. I dont' care if he had zero points in the past month if he was out there on the ice showing some sort of emotion. Wanna talk about his stats from the past couple of weeks. How many stupid penalties has he taken in that stretch?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:12 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
he's statistically on-pace to better his previous best season by 3 points. so i don't really no from having the "best season of his career."

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:22 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Brown needs to have a chat with double rainbow guy about passion
Dustin Brown’s postgame thoughts…

(on the game…)
BROWN: “We’ve got to start getting results here, regardless of how good we play. I thought we did play a good game tonight, but we’ve got to find a way to win. That’s going to take everyone here. It’s not going to be one (expletive) guy. We win and lose as a team, so we’ve got to find a way to get wins here, and quickly.”

(on the schedule only getting tougher in the near future…)
BROWN: “No, and maybe that’s a good thing. We don’t have time to (expletive) think about it. We’ve got to find ways to get wins. Other teams are going to find ways, especially down the stretch, and we’ve got to find ways. We’ve just got to find a way.”

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/01/18...stgame-quotes/

You were saying something about passion...

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post

(on the game…)
BROWN: “We’ve got to start getting results here, regardless of how good we play. I thought we did play a good game tonight, but we’ve got to find a way to win. That’s going to take everyone here. It’s not going to be one (expletive) guy. We win and lose as a team, so we’ve got to find a way to get wins here, and quickly.”

BROWN: “No, and maybe that’s a good thing. We don’t have time to (expletive) think about it. We’ve got to find ways to get wins. Other teams are going to find ways, especially down the stretch, and we’ve got to find ways. We’ve just got to find a way.”

How do you get passion from that statement?

Old
01-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post

(on the game…)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
How do you get passion from that statement?
Agreed

But we should play Mad Libs where the expletives are

Quote:
BROWN: “We’ve got to start getting results here, regardless of how good we play. I thought we did play a good game tonight, but we’ve got to find a way to win. That’s going to take everyone here. It’s not going to be one nosepicking guy. We win and lose as a team, so we’ve got to find a way to get wins here, and quickly.”

BROWN: “No, and maybe that’s a good thing. We don’t have time to joshingly think about it. We’ve got to find ways to get wins. Other teams are going to find ways, especially down the stretch, and we’ve got to find ways. We’ve just got to find a way.”

Bad Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

So wait, all the players have to do is cuss and that equals being passionate?

Old
01-19-2011, 12:41 PM
lakings41

Quote:
I could have a career year playing on Kopi's wing. I honestly don't care about the points he puts up. He has a huge responsibility and it's a huge anchor. I use to watch that youtube clip about once a week two/three seasons ago. He's been neutered ever since. He gets knocked around very easily and is also getting a reputation as a diver.
Let his wings back out and put him on the second or preferably the third line and do what he does best. Hit harder than anybody in the league and take whole team's off their rythm. He's a superpest in my book with some skill set. He's being asked too much here.
He's not the sole reason we're sucking. But I don't want F-Bombs on a post game interview or retaliatory penalties. He needs to initiate out of the gate!

lakings41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 01:22 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings41 View Post
I could have a career year playing on Kopi's wing
... I'm sure that's what Terry Murray thought when he put Dwight King on that wing.

All Brown has done is become a better all-around player, the only thing that has declined is the credit he gets for that by people who choose not to appreciate him.

Old
01-19-2011, 01:36 PM
ROBITAILLE
In Dean I trust

Do something to create a spark!! why not next game challenge Doan to scrap to show your team how serious you are about making a change

ROBITAILLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
... I'm sure that's what Terry Murray thought when he put Dwight King on that wing.

All Brown has done is become a better all-around player, the only thing that has declined is the credit he gets for that by people who choose not to appreciate him.
It seems that Brown needs Kopitar produce. Without him, he is incapable of producing his own scoring opportunities. The stretch of games since late December up until now has proven how much Brown needs Kopitar. Additionally, he has taken a number of ill-timed and unnecessary penalties, some of them in the offensive zone, which is a big no-no.

He is supposed to set a standard and example with his play. So if he is playing poorly, should we excuse that as a result of the rest of the team playing poorly? Why not hold the captain accountable and expect him to show some gusto and leadership? When was the last game-changing hit or shift that we saw from him, or for that matter any other Kings player? It would probably be Doughty with his hit on Taylor Hall, which resulted in a win for the Kings.

I'm fine with Dustin Brown, the support winger for Kopitar. When he's playing his game, he's among the top 30 wingers in the NHL. But as captain, I don't think he is a good fit. When I think of captains I think of Gretzky, Messier, Yzerman, Sakic, Gilmour, Stevens, S. Niedermayer, and nowadays it's players like Crosby, Toews, M. Richards, Staal, etc. They don't all have to be vocal leaders, but they are prime examples of players who lead with their play, anteing up their performance when their team needs it most.

I don't think it is unreasonable to call into question Brown's captaincy. We've seen players stripped of the 'C' in the past for similar reasons. It is one way to hold a player or players accountable.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
It seems that Brown needs Kopitar produce. Without him, he is incapable of producing his own scoring opportunities. The stretch of games since late December up until now has proven how much Brown needs Kopitar. Additionally, he has taken a number of ill-timed and unnecessary penalties, some of them in the offensive zone, which is a big no-no.

He is supposed to set a standard and example with his play. So if he is playing poorly, should we excuse that as a result of the rest of the team playing poorly? Why not hold the captain accountable and expect him to show some gusto and leadership? When was the last game-changing hit or shift that we saw from him, or for that matter any other Kings player? It would probably be Doughty with his hit on Taylor Hall, which resulted in a win for the Kings.

I'm fine with Dustin Brown, the support winger for Kopitar. When he's playing his game, he's among the top 30 wingers in the NHL. But as captain, I don't think he is a good fit. When I think of captains I think of Gretzky, Messier, Yzerman, Sakic, Gilmour, Stevens, S. Niedermayer, and nowadays it's players like Crosby, Toews, M. Richards, Staal, etc. They don't all have to be vocal leaders, but they are prime examples of players who lead with their play, anteing up their performance when their team needs it most.

I don't think it is unreasonable to call into question Brown's captaincy. We've seen players stripped of the 'C' in the past for similar reasons. It is one way to hold a player or players accountable.
I think your putting to much emphasis on being a captain. The Captain does not draw up the game plan, pick the lines, decide who to play, he basically is the person who can talk to the refs. If leading by example there is no better person on the Kings than Brown as he plays hard is a great teammate, and a terrific role model away from the ice. He's not a superstar like Gretzky, Messier, Yzerman, Sakic, and some of the other players you name. I guarantee you Brown being the captain has zero effect on this losing streak.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:08 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
I think your putting to much emphasis on being a captain. The Captain does not draw up the game plan, pick the lines, decide who to play, he basically is the person who can talk to the refs. If leading by example there is no better person on the Kings than Brown as he plays hard is a great teammate, and a terrific role model away from the ice. He's not a superstar like Gretzky, Messier, Yzerman, Sakic, and some of the other players you name. I guarantee you Brown being the captain has zero effect on this losing streak.
The problem is that when you have a very young team you need a Messier type of Captain to handle the reigns in my opinion. But then when don't you need a Messier Sak or Stevie Y around?

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
The problem is that when you have a very young team you need a Messier type of Captain to handle the reigns in my opinion. But then when don't you need a Messier Sak or Stevie Y around?
Yes I'm sure if any one of those guys are on the Kings there would no dought be our captain.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Alternate Jersey

i can understand the frustration, but i really disagree with the "lack of game-changing hits" part. definitely saw at least one in the last two games.

also, kind of ironic that a "lack" of this kind of hit is being brought up, because i distinctively remember other posters complaining that he was showing no accountability, specifically by dealing out the kind of hits we're talking about. it seems as if when he is hitting, he's drawing too much ire from other teams that he won't step up and answer, and when he isn't, he's not showing leadership.

we have NO idea what is being said in the locker rooms. someone on Hammond's blog mentioned that swearing by Brown publicly--that is to say, in an interview--is a big deal, because he doesn't usually do that. and i try to think of him as a person prior to a hockey captain before i judge his "lack of passion". it may be entirely speculation, but he is a father, and i don't think he wants to be seen as a guy that flies off the handle at his team when they are losing (i.e. ovechkin after his fight, as we saw on HBO). it's just not a very respectable way to act (and please spare me the "but this is hockey, it's bloody and violent and angry" argument). but that doesn't mean he's not giving them what for in the locker rooms, and it doesn't mean he's not saying anything on the bench.

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

I wish we had a few Dustin Browns.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:53 PM
lakings41

Quote:

Terry Murray is a whole other animal! Nobody understands his line shuffling, especially a move like Dwight King.

I will always appreciate Brownie and I love him here, especially his work ethic. I think management has ****ed him up. His game to me has hit max potential, and I think he's being used the wrong way.

lakings41 is offline   Reply With Quote