Notices

Wild 6 Flames 0

Old
01-20-2011, 08:45 AM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
quite often when teams return from a decent length road trip they struggle in their first game back... regardless of how successful the trip was
Teams may very well struggle their first game back needing 1 or 2 periods to get their legs back but that's not what "FLAMES666" said that got me quoting him. He said teams usually lose and unless there are actual numbers to support this it's nothing more the one forum poster making excuses.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Lunatik*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Teams may very well struggle their first game back needing 1 or 2 periods to get their legs back but that's not what "FLAMES666" said that got me quoting him. He said teams usually lose and unless there are actual numbers to support this it's nothing more the one forum poster making excuses.
the thing is I don't care what he said... not one little bit... but the thing I said seems to be pretty common in alot of sports... much like going on a mini-losing streak after going on a longer winning streak is common

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 09:20 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I wish they would either become a potential playoff team, or continue to lose. This in between stuff is horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
And man send Backlund down to the farm already. Five something minutes a game? Either play him on the top 2 lines over the useless Stajan, or send him to the Heat to get some topline minutes. He is not going to develop any better than Boyd the way he is being used. Absolutely awful way to handle a prospect like Backlund.

I agree with both those points.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 10:50 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Sorry I don't have facts, you can go look at other teams records after returning from a road trip to lazy to do it for you.

But teams usually play a lazy game when returning home from a road trip

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:26 AM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

Quote:
quite often when teams return from a decent length road trip they struggle in their first game back... regardless of how successful the trip was
There's a difference between 'struggling' in the first game back off the road and completely embarrassing yourself in front of your home fans. To the fricking Wild no less.

The 'success' of the road trip is debateable. Beat two of the worst team in the east, very nearly humiliated by middle of the road eastern teams twice in 10 days. And the only reason they weren't humiliated in Montreal was because Auld was playing. Price wins that game 4-1. Then come home and lay this egg? Come on, man. The bad parts are more indicative of this team's true face than the comebacks.

TheDoctor10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
There's a difference between 'struggling' in the first game back off the road and completely embarrassing yourself in front of your home fans. To the fricking Wild no less.

The 'success' of the road trip is debateable. Beat two of the worst team in the east, very nearly humiliated by middle of the road eastern teams twice in 10 days. And the only reason they weren't humiliated in Montreal was because Auld was playing. Price wins that game 4-1. Then come home and lay this egg? Come on, man. The bad parts are more indicative of this team's true face than the comebacks.
why are you arguing with points I never made?... i never said anything was successful or not successful for that matter

Old
01-20-2011, 12:44 PM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

Quote:
why are you arguing with points I never made?... i never said anything was successful or not successful for that matter
Either I quoted the wrong Post or I'm sitting in class overtired and overboard. Or both.

TheDoctor10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Either I quoted the wrong Post or I'm sitting in class overtired and overboard. Or both.
way to go

Old
01-20-2011, 01:22 PM
galiano

Quote:
did you know if the teams ranked 9th to 15th in the West repeat the records from the last 10 game over their next 10 games we would be in a 3way tie for 9th

This may be the most optimistic post ever on Hockeys Future.

Man I gotta hand it to you. You are one solid Flames fan.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1440
Quote:
did you know if the teams ranked 9th to 15th in the West repeat the records from the last 10 game over their next 10 games we would be in a 3way tie for 9th
Well that was a nice slice of optimism...

Assuming that 96 points is needed to make it, the Flames need 50 points in their last 35 games (a record of something like 22-7-6). When you consider they have to win at least 20+ of the last 35 games to hope for a shot, and they haven't come close to putting together a string like that all season. The closest they've come is over the last 30 days (and that choice was selected on purpose, as the best stretch all year); with a record of 6-3-3. If they continued that pace over the next 35 (say 18-8-9) it gives them 45 points, which probably is enough for 9th or 10th spot.

For the Flames to make the playoffs, it will take more than a miracle. It will take several catastrophes for the other teams ahead of them as well.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano View Post
This may be the most optimistic post ever on Hockeys Future.

Man I gotta hand it to you. You are one solid Flames fan.
I just stated a fact, never said I thought it would happen... but we did see Minnesota jump from 1 point ahead of us to a playoff spot in the course of what 10 days?... so it can be done... these players just need to get their **** together and do it

Old
01-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Well that was a nice slice of optimism...

Assuming that 96 points is needed to make it, the Flames need 50 points in their last 35 games (a record of something like 22-7-6). When you consider they have to win at least 20+ of the last 35 games to hope for a shot, and they haven't come close to putting together a string like that all season. The closest they've come is over the last 30 days (and that choice was selected on purpose, as the best stretch all year); with a record of 6-3-3. If they continued that pace over the next 35 (say 18-8-9) it gives them 45 points, which probably is enough for 9th or 10th spot.

For the Flames to make the playoffs, it will take more than a miracle. It will take several catastrophes for the other teams ahead of them as well.
sorry I saw 'assume they need 96 points to make the playoffs' and I stopped reading... i don't buy into those arbitrary numbers that are guesstimated... i also don't think the team should be looking at the remainder of the season as a whole either...

I look at it this way...

there is 39 days until the trade deadline...
we are 8 points our of a playoff spot...

if we can close the gap by 1 point every 5 games we will be right in the playoff race at the deadline

and while its easier said than done thinking about it that way is much less of a daunting task than saying we have to win 75% of our games

Old
01-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1440
Quote:
sorry I saw 'assume they need 96 points to make the playoffs' and I stopped reading... i don't buy into those arbitrary numbers that are guesstimated... i also don't think the team should be looking at the remainder of the season as a whole either...
It's actually not arbitrary, it's a projected total based on Colorado's point production thus far, which would see them finish with 96 points (or 1.174 points per game). Since the Flames probably won't beat anyone in a tiebreaker because of the # of shootout wins, a tie for 7th would put them in (as a tie for 8th would probably leave them out).

Quote:
if we can close the gap by 1 point every 5 games we will be right in the playoff race at the deadline
If they close the gap by one point every five games, that means they're still a point behind after 35 games, as they only gain 7 points. I do see where you're going with this though, and the optimist in me wants to chase that. I'd even spin it as only needing to catch up by one point each week then with 11 weeks left in the season it should be good enough.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote