HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1/19/11 Dean Lombardi NHL Live, 10:00AM

Old
01-19-2011, 03:18 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
My level of disgust with the players on the ice and their lack of any sort of visible accountability is FAR higher than any level of disgust I have with Murray (or Lombardi).

I mentioned it in the PGT - if I were Dean, I want to know with certainty if this core is the right core to have, and the only way to do that is to see if they can figure it out this year on their own. Panic trades aren't the answer, and I don't think firing TM is the right answer, right now. Fire TM at the end of the season if you want... but these core guys have to get their **** sorted out without Daddy Lombardi bailing them out.
Tony hitting on all cylinders.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:23 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan17 View Post
I get what he's saying about letting the players play it out and holding them accountable. My question is what are we doing to hold Murray accountable? We have talented players, but they have to play the perfect game, every game for Murray's system to work.
I am not going to defend the system, but has anyone noticed that early in the season the Kings were getting two forwards in to forecheck the defenseman retrieving the puck with the first forward taking the body and the second forward recovering the puck.

Seems like lately I only see one forward getting there in time to take the body, but no puck support when it comes to recovering it.

Old
01-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Fishhead

The Kings have had a coach that does well with the talent he has, his name was Andy Murray. Just like AM, Trotz's teams tend to under perform when the talent matures, but they both are incredible with young/less talented squads. I love Barry and have a ton of respect for him, but he is not the answer.

As far as TM, I support the guy but I feel he should go. Blame is both on the players and the coaches here for their lackluster play. What bothers me is that we have been told ad naseum that the Kings want to build that "winning culture". Well, in a winning culture losing is simply not acceptable. Letting go of a coach is never pleasant, but the players/coaches/mgmt need to know that results are important now. This isn't 2 years ago.

Mid-season firings are usually effective because it's embarassing to the players. A team like this needs to man up and take responsibility, and unfortunately it's going to take something like a firing to do it.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
The real questions here are - First, what were the players doing before that they aren't doing now? Second, what is the reasoning behind the nearly constant shuffling that the roster has to endure right now, and how is that helping the team? Third, who thought it was a good idea to struggle along without a first line left wing for 90% of the season, and who thought it was a good idea to haul up Dwight King at one point in the season to play on that line? Fourth, why did the second line (which had the most chemistry and success as a line) have to be cannibalized to get the first line in order? Fifth, at what point does the organization react to the struggles of the team? In a week? In two weeks? Never?
okay, have to say that i usually don't respond to most of your posts, JT, partially because it's painfully obvious to me that you know way more than i do about hockey (as do most here), and partially because arguments between you and others tend to be the most incensed. and i mean no offense by the second part, FWIW.

however, this is one of your posts that i find myself getting behind very easily. these are at least some concrete questions, and while a couple of them might not be the ones i'd ask, i applaud you for actually focusing your criticisms on specific problems. although people have been criticizing TM or his system, or DL, those aren't really specific enough issues for us to have a constructive discussion about. and as someone who has only been posting here for a couple of seasons, i have to say i have been very confused as to whether or not the calls for TM's/DL's heads were legitimate and realistic, or just panic setting in. but after reading the interview today, i'm pretty much leaning toward the latter. as such, it's nice to see a focused post like yours. it would be nice if we could move more in a technical and constructive direction rather than just "fire TM and DL" all the time. still, that being said, i'll admit that after most of the losses i refrain from posting here because i worry i'll just flip out, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
I get what you guys are saying and I agree that there needs to be accountability at all levels, but realistically speaking, why would an organization make that public? Maybe it's better that there's no finger pointing and questioning of authority coming out of our locker room on a media level. Who knows what's going on in there, but I would like to hope that the players and staff, regardless of what happens, would continue to be respectful enough to raise their issues behind closed doors.
also really agree with this. i don't know what started it, and i might be drinking crazy amounts of kool-aid, but i love Brown despite the fact that some people want his "C" stripped from him. and i've kind of always defended that position in my head by reminding myself that we can't see what's going on in the locker room or behind closed doors. i have a little more trouble reassuring myself that TM gets as crazy as Brownie might, but again, i don't really know for sure either way. and as some people have mentioned, it's super frustrating having Hammond post the same PC comments after every game, but i feel that the reason they do that is in respect of their players and the organization, and i'm okay with that. at least they had the wherewithal to realize that the fans were probably tired of that, and allowed Hammond to release the "expletive" post after last night's game.

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:29 PM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
The Kings have had a coach that does well with the talent he has, his name was Andy Murray. Just like AM, Trotz's teams tend to under perform when the talent matures, but they both are incredible with young/less talented squads. I love Barry and have a ton of respect for him, but he is not the answer.

As far as TM, I support the guy but I feel he should go. Blame is both on the players and the coaches here for their lackluster play. What bothers me is that we have been told ad naseum that the Kings want to build that "winning culture". Well, in a winning culture losing is simply not acceptable. Letting go of a coach is never pleasant, but the players/coaches/mgmt need to know that results are important now. This isn't 2 years ago.

Mid-season firings are usually effective because it's embarassing to the players. A team like this needs to man up and take responsibility, and unfortunately it's going to take something like a firing to do it.
You mean Andy "M*A*S*H Unit" Murray???

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I am not going to defend the system, but has anyone noticed that early in the season the Kings were getting two forwards in to forecheck the defenseman retrieving the puck with the first forward taking the body and the second forward recovering the puck.

Seems like lately I only see one forward getting there in time to take the body, but no puck support when it comes to recovering it.
agreed. pretty much exactly what i've been screaming at the TV for a while now, too. the dump and chases don't seem to be timed the same way as they used to.

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:30 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
I think we need to hold the players accountable. At this point, if we aren't going to make a trade or fire TM, I think we need to bring up some Monarchs. There are players down there that deserve at least a cup of coffee, much more than a few of the players up here deserving to play night in and night out. Maybe some work ethic and excitement for the game would rub off on the Kings.

That being said, one can also argue that you don't want the young ones who are riding a high note to come into the terrible environment we have up here with the big club right now. Why should they be subjected to the ways of losing.

I just think, watching this team night in and night out, right now we are lacking a lot of heart and creativity. This team is supposed to be built on heart and character. My mouth dropped when I read the player's quotes from last night. They honestly think they tried their hardest and played a good/exciting game? I think they need to go back and watch the tape again.

I'm just at a loss for this team right now. I've been a fan since 1990, so I've seen my share of slumps, but right now this feels terrible. I think it's because the expectations were so much higher. In years past, I've expected the lack of heart/caring/creativity, but we got a taste of winning last year and the start of this year. I want that team back, and I want it now.

I feel like I should be paid to watch the last 12+ games, it's so painful. I actually get excited on off game nights because I don't have to subject myself to the crap that I sit and watch for 2 1/2 hours, but I can't bring myself not to. I've watched (almost) every game for the past 21 years. It's sadistic.
There are vouchers available but you have to have a secret code.

Old
01-19-2011, 03:35 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
And even then they make you drink allot of purple kool aide.

Besides, the vouchers really are nothing more than Kingstons old fur and some of the gold wallpaper off of the forum wall with the word "free" scribbled on it.

If anyone makes them work let me know and I will give you mine. They are purpley.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

I have in the past 20 years consistently been amused by how complicated and intricate those in upper ranks of management of any major company try to make their jobs sound. Having seen it with my own eyes in various industries (including sports and entertainment) and with sleeves rolled up in the trenches of it, I will let you in on a secret. The people in positions of power are just like you and me and much like the hard working retail clerk, their number 1 priority is to keep their job. The difference between them and others is that they have to master the art of spin. A CEO, GM or President of a company like this must be able to make their position seem complex, involved, with a high degree of innate skill, especially in the public eye. They have to bull **** when things go wrong and maximize their own credit when things go right, even when it had little to do with them.

Winning in any sport, hockey being no exception, requires a combination of money invested, skill acquired, work ethic instilled, and creativity inspired. This is what creates a winning cluture. Any of those pieces missing and there is failure, whether that failure be epic or simply a failure to win the prize. Failing consistently builds a culture of losing. Good teams with average coaches do not win anything and they often disappoint. NHL history is filled with disappointing teams that did not meet expectations.

Great teams with good coaches win. Great teams with great coaches win the most.

We don't have the horses to win a Stanley Cup yet. I acknowledge that. Dean's failure, if it continues in this regard whether this season or thereafter, to get those horses will be his legacy here.

We don't have a good coach. He is our achilles heel right now and in this moment. He will single handedly ensure that we don't bounce back because of HIS lack of skill and intelligence as a coach, HIS inability to adapt to the changing environment and HIS consistent (starting with the Flyers and going through with the Panthers) alienation of the players and the friction he has caused. It was my biggest criticism of him when he was hired, the day he was hired I posted about it. He fosters discontent and resentment.

I don't pretend to have the answers. But I do know with this coach, we are not going anywhere. I have been a Kings fan for 31 years, 25 of those as diehard as they come. I am tired of losing. I am tired of excuses from management telling us what we can't do. We are a result oriented society. Don't tell me you cannot do your ****ing job and build a winning team that wins, makes the playoffs and competes for the Cup. It's what you get paid to do. Get it done or get the **** out.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:53 PM
outofrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I have in the past 20 years consistently been amused by how complicated and intricate those in upper ranks of management of any major company try to make their jobs sound. Having seen it with my own eyes in various industries (including sports and entertainment) and with sleeves rolled up in the trenches of it, I will let you in on a secret. The people in positions of power are just like you and me and much like the hard working retail clerk, their number 1 priority is to keep their job. The difference between them and others is that they have to master the art of spin. A CEO, GM or President of a company like this must be able to make their position seem complex, involved, with a high degree of innate skill, especially in the public eye. They have to bull **** when things go wrong and maximize their own credit when things go right, even when it had little to do with them.

Winning in any sport, hockey being no exception, requires a combination of money invested, skill acquired, work ethic instilled, and creativity inspired. This is what creates a winning cluture. Any of those pieces missing and there is failure, whether that failure be epic or simply a failure to win the prize. Failing consistently builds a culture of losing. Good teams with average coaches do not win anything and they often disappoint. NHL history is filled with disappointing teams that did not meet expectations.

We don't have the horses to win a Stanley Cup yet. I acknowledge that. Dean's failure, if it continues in this regard whether this season or thereafter, to get those horses will be his legacy here.

We don't have a good coach. He is our achilles heel right now and in this moment. He will single handedly ensure that we don't bounce back because of HIS lack of skill and intelligence as a coach, HIS inability to adapt to the changing environment and HIS consistent (starting with the Flyers and going through with the Panthers) alienation of the players and the friction he has caused. It was my biggest criticism of him when he was hired, the day he was hired I posted about it. He fosters discontent and resentment.

I don't pretend to have the answers. But I do know with this coach, we are not going anywhere. I have been a Kings fan for 31 years, 25 of those as diehard as they come. I am tired of losing. I am tired of excuses from management telling us what we can't do. We are a result oriented society. Don't tell me you cannot do your ****ing job and build a winning team that wins, makes the playoffs and competes for the Cup. It's what you get paid to do. Get it done or get the **** out.
AMEN. The way Lombardi spins things or the way Murray talks about what's going on is insulting. I'm not an idiot and I work in the real world where results matter. Thanks for saying everything I wanted to say since I've been stewing over his interview on and off for the past few hours.

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:54 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
hint: Pride=Passion=Puke Pwnd, Pitiful, Putrid, Pile, Profane

one of those might work.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:56 PM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Zad for GM!!!!!

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SLang

Quote:

Great post and only disagree with one point. You are not tired of losing. You, like the rest of us, are going to continually suffer until either the Kings win it all, or eternity comes.

****, that's depressing.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZIE King View Post
You mean Andy "M*A*S*H Unit" Murray???
Yeah. Andy Murray was so tough on St Louis' skaters that most of them are still injured two years after he was fired.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

I am posting from my phone or else I would give you the ovation gif that is so popular on these boards. Truly one of the best posts I've ever read. The excuses must stop. I to have been a fan for 20+ years and I'm just fed up with it. All anyone talks about are the reasons why we won't win the cup, everyone has an excuse why we have lost all our best players over the years, everyone has an excuse why we have drafted so poor. This is a results oriented business, you either win or you lose, and no matter how much lawyer talk (sorry Zad and DH) our GM spews the fact remains he hasn't gotten results either here or in San Jose. And our coach hasn't had any kind of success since the mid 90s when it was a totally different era.

We Kings fans have suffered for far to long, with the ultimate kick in the balls happening when the Ducks won the cup in 2007. We deserve a winner, we deserve a first rate coach and GM not San Jose and Philadelphia castoffs.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:12 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

same old ****

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I'd just like to know what Lombardi thinks about his own personnel decisions. I haven't listened to the interview yet but passing the buck onto the players is great and everything, I think they along with Terry Murray are part of the problem But how about taking responsibility for these personnel decisions. He was the one that thought these guys are competitors and if the team continues to fizzle out and miss the playoffs, then what? Is he not responsibe for icing a team of underachievers and/or a coach that can't get them to compete?

I think a lot of us have put a lot of faith in his system of drafting/development and if comes back that his core can't compete, then whose fault is that?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:23 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
hint: Pride=Passion=Puke Pwnd, Pitiful, Putrid, Pile, Profane

one of those might work.
The one I got was HermosaPier08

Old
01-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Fangio

Quote:
My level of disgust with the players on the ice and their lack of any sort of visible accountability is FAR higher than any level of disgust I have with Murray (or Lombardi).

I mentioned it in the PGT - if I were Dean, I want to know with certainty if this core is the right core to have, and the only way to do that is to see if they can figure it out this year on their own. Panic trades aren't the answer, and I don't think firing TM is the right answer, right now. Fire TM at the end of the season if you want... but these core guys have to get their **** sorted out without Daddy Lombardi bailing them out.
Good post

The tip off for me was the team couldn't even execute the simple things that Murray firmly emphasizes.

Now, contrary to everyone else, I recognize the improvements over the past three games. The Oiler game was executed perfectly, and it could have went either way in Dallas(top in Pacific) and St.Louis(I feel really bad for Quick here). I truly believe the team has figured it out, now they have to stick with it and battle for results. Matt Greene's comments tells me my instincts are correct:
Quote:
We played the type of game we wanted to. It just didnt come out the right way. I think its going to come. I think its going to come here. We just have to stick with what were doing. Were doing too many good things for us not to get rewarded.

Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Haik

I think DL wouldn't mind being a seller again. He can gain a decent amount of assets by shipping off Poni, Williams, Sturm, Handzus, Smyth, and Stoll. He knows damn well this team wasn't going to win anything this year. Since we are still selling out games, I just don't see anything changing this year.

Haik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:31 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I'd just like to know what Lombardi thinks about his own personnel decisions. I haven't listened to the interview yet but passing the buck onto the players is great and everything, I think they along with Terry Murray are part of the problem But how about taking responsibility for these personnel decisions. He was the one that thought these guys are competitors and if the team continues to fizzle out and miss the playoffs, then what? Is he not responsibe for icing a team of underachievers and/or a coach that can't get them to compete?

I think a lot of us have put a lot of faith in his system of drafting/development and if comes back that his core can't compete, then whose fault is that?
Ultimately, it is Lombardi's fault of course. The question on this forum is, how much time is required to see results? Everyone is happy about the drafting/development that he has done.

How long does it take the average kid that has been drafted to play and be an NHL contributor? The second wave is coming (Schenn, Moller, Loktionov, Hickey, Voynov, etc.) Question is, is the first wave (Brown, Kopitar, Johnson, Doughty) ready to lead them?

We're about to find out some of these answers based on how the first wave handles the rest of this season.

Old
01-19-2011, 04:38 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
He's saying a lot.. just not what some fans want to hear.
You are correct, sir! But Lombardi needs serious help calculating time! 2 yrs =/= 5 yrs.

(cue the jokes about lawyers and their time keeping habits)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturn View Post
This is boring. I'm going to go bang my wife.
Where does that line start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
I'm confused by this board....Trotz is held up as a god (he is a great coach for what he has and what he gets) buuuut he is basically TM to the even more extreme. He coaches an even more defensively responsibly game, with little to no offensive creativity.
No, go back and watch the offensive system Nashville plays. Similar to Chicago, they make that cross ice diagonal pass to the weak side for a one timer by the D or forwards slipping down. They pass better than we cycle. Their D are not welded to the B blue line and not every PP starts at the half boards. They utilize speed to get offense we slow the puck along the wall, IF we recover it from the dump-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
If TM has to motivate that Kings on a regular basis; the Kings have way deeper issue's than Murray.
Right, coaches are NOT supposed to motivate their team, Heck they probably shouldn't even talk to them - you know that "management - employee seperation" thing.

ACTUALLY YOU'RE WRONG. VERY WRONG. One of a coaches most important functions is to motivate the players. Try watching 24/7 and see how Bylsma interacts with his players.

Quote:

Wait, I thought I was Diehard.

The interview left me thinking "vintage DL."

I walked away from the interview with the same dejected feeling I once left a small meeting with DL and a few other STH's after he told us that the rebuild would begin with one smallish goal scorer being jettisoned. ITS GOING TO BE A LONG(ER) HAUL.

The whole critical learning process and mental toughness thing, again, doesnt, won't and can't make up for the holes that need to be filled and the coaching that doesnt allow the team to utilize all the skill it has to win games.

Funny but Boomer and Thistle (on NHL Radio) were talking Kings hockey about and hour or so later and one of them was strongly of the opinion that the team needs more; that they look like they always wasnt to play defense, and although defense is necessary, when it gets to the playoffs, its not enough. He thought that you cant use the youngster excuse anymore with all the veterans on the squad and that they need more offense. He thought who else is there for offensive prodcution other than Kopitar. (All sounded strangely familiar)

We wont get that (offense), even with a trade(which doesn't appear likely from what DL said) unless the Kings play hockey outside the box, I mean system.

Last edited by DIEHARD the King fan: 01-19-2011 at 04:45 PM.
DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Ultimately, it is Lombardi's fault of course. The question on this forum is, how much time is required to see results? Everyone is happy about the drafting/development that he has done.

How long does it take the average kid that has been drafted to play and be an NHL contributor? The second wave is coming (Schenn, Moller, Loktionov, Hickey, Voynov, etc.) Question is, is the first wave (Brown, Kopitar, Johnson, Doughty) ready to lead them?

We're about to find out some of these answers based on how the first wave handles the rest of this season.
How much time is required to see results? Well accoring to DL, there was an expecation of playoffs and if I'm not mistaken, advancing in them. Quite honestly, he put a lot of stock into the players we currently have and if they can't get it done, I'm really going to wonder if any of these other prospects have what it takes.

One final jab, for a guy who admires character in players, the team is sure lacking that right now.

All I'm saying is spread the accountability around. The players, the coach and the GM that put them there all have skin in the game as far as I'm concerned.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 05:19 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Breaking down the roster player by player could maybe be a good exercise..

Smyth- He takes some heat, just because he's old. But I love him for what he does. He is still a BEAST in his office behind the net. On top of that he's tied for the lead in goals on this team. He isn't the problem.

Kopi- Obviously a great talent.. Just wish he had greater stamina, and wish he shot the puck more. (Does anyone else notice just HOW LONG it takes Kopi to get the puck in his wheel house?)

Williams- Best forward on the team this year.

Sturm- IMO, a horrible pick up. Knee surgeries take time.. This experiment should come to an end soon, its obviously not going to work.

Stoll- The debate goes on with him.. I'm a Stoll fan and think he's earned his stripes as a Los Angeles King. He's good defensively, but probably an ideal third line center. Not second. Keep him.

Simmonds- For all the flack he took in the beginning of the season, I don't think its right that he isn't getting any praise for the way he's been playing of late. He's been probably our second best player through this horrid stretch. Not the problem either.

Clifford- Love him.

Handzus- He's old, and just not there anymore.. Hate saying that, but its the truth. Can't deal him either as nobody would take him though.

Brown- I'm not sure. I love him, but hate him. Where has he been? *** hit somebody! If I got offered Iginla for Brown.. or even Alfy for Brown.. I'd heavily consider despite the gap in age.

Ponikarovsky- We signed him thinking he'd replace Frolov.. Well.. He's not as good.

Lewis- I love that he works hard, but in reality.. We can EASILY find somebody that kills penalties that can replace him. He's a fast skater, but just useless in the offensive zone. He's not the problem though.

Richardson- Can't believe he was ever HEALTHY scratched.. Ridiculous. The hardest working guy on the team should never get healthied.

Doughty- He's turning it around. Recently, he's looked GREAT.

Johnson- Not the problem, but I don't think he's as good as his point total.. How many more head fakes, and useless stick handles does he have to do before he figures it out?

Scuderi- He's a beauty.

Mitchell- NOT the shutdown defenseman, and NOT the piece that everyone thought he was gonna be. DL tried to tell every Kings fan that he was a GREAT signing and the PERFECT fit when in reality, we only have Mitchell because DL couldn't get it done with the better defenseman that were free agents.

Greene- Gotta love 'em. But he cant skate, cant shoot (yeah, he scored.. whatever), cant pass, and cant fight.. And can sometimes hit.

Martinez- Sucks and can't believe he's STILL here..

Everybody can bypass this, I just wanted to get it on paper and realize what we really do need.. We're not very good up the middle. Not very good at all. We only have two good LW'ers in Clifford and Smyth. We're also in need of about 2 (maybe even 3) good defenseman. As we all know and can clearly see.. Its not enough.. so all this jib-jab about moves NOT being needed to be made.. Is incontrovertible.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 05:39 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
The first wave was actually Brown, Frolov, Visnovski, Cammalleri, O'Sullivan with Brown being the only holdover. Kopitar, Doughty, Johnson, Quick, etc. are the 2nd wave - and they aren't ready to lead.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote