HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

wider feet by gaining weight ?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2011, 12:12 PM
  #1
denace
Registered User
 
denace's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Holland
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
wider feet by gaining weight ?

Last year I've bought my skates online, and yes that was not my brightest moment. Since april last year, I've gained a whopping 44 pounds (20 kilo ) due to a severe backinjury and by quitting smoking

A couple of weeks ago, I had the chance to lace up my CCM Vector 06's width E for the first time since the injury. To my surprise they didn't fit anymore. It looks and feels like my feet turned wider, because 44 pounds ago, they did bother me, but not nearly as much as they do now. After 3 weeks of agony, I'm thinking about buying new skates. My skates are a little bit to big lengthwise, not bigger than the width of my fingertip

Does this make any sense, because my English is really rusty at the moment

Anyways, should I buy new skates or should I wait ? I'm currently doing a lot of cardio and weight training to get rid of the fatsuit. Within 3 months I'll certainly lose at least 22 pounds.


Last edited by denace: 01-19-2011 at 12:20 PM.
denace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:26 PM
  #2
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,249
vCash: 500
It's possible. I know after losing a lot of weight earlier in my life my feet were a bit smaller. You could also try getting them baked again.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:41 PM
  #3
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!
 
adaminnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 683
vCash: 2466
I have very wide feet naturally and I just cant wear CCM skates. CCM has a nice wide heal cup but I find that they never in the toe cup. I really wanted U+ skates a few years back.

Yes weight gain will give you fat feet. I lost weight and my skates fit a bit better.

As was posted by Jarick you can take them to a skate shop and have them pushed for now. you may want to hold off on buying new skates until you decide that your new found 44 Lbs are part of you or if you are going to louse the weight.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:53 PM
  #4
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony
 
mikitas donut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 1,941
vCash: 500
Definitely happens. I lost 130 lbs and had to buy new boots and shoes. Thick socks didn't even help.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:01 PM
  #5
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,249
vCash: 500
Oddly enough, playing hockey will make you want smaller shoes...I was a size 9.5-10 a few years ago and even though I've gained a few pounds, I've been opting for 8-8.5 shoes lately. I got so used to super tight fitting skates that loose, sloppy shoes feel weird now.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:15 PM
  #6
bosshogg18
Registered User
 
bosshogg18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lyle, WA, Tacoma, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Oddly enough, playing hockey will make you want smaller shoes...I was a size 9.5-10 a few years ago and even though I've gained a few pounds, I've been opting for 8-8.5 shoes lately. I got so used to super tight fitting skates that loose, sloppy shoes feel weird now.
I hear you on that. I used to wear a size 12 shoe. Now I get mostly size 11, sometimes 10.5. They just feel better.

bosshogg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:24 PM
  #7
denace
Registered User
 
denace's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Holland
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Does it make a big difference when you have them baked ?

I've tied my skates a lot looser than usual tonight but the pain was still there. Besides, my heel started to slip a bit and the feeling was really wobbely. This weekend I'll try some skates on to see what feeling I'm looking for.

denace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 03:52 PM
  #8
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,655
vCash: 500
If your CCM skates used to fit well, and are still good skates in good shape, then maybe just pick up some cheap used skates that fit properly for now? Fitting back into your old skates could be good motivation to lose the new weight.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:26 PM
  #9
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Yeah, your body can store fat in your feet. I used to wear an 11E Bauer skate, and nowadays I fit into a 10.5D Bauer skate. Both are Vapors (the 11 is a Vapor 3, the current is a Vapor XXXI or smth like that)

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 08:51 PM
  #10
LarryO
Registered User
 
LarryO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 576
vCash: 500
Do you wear thick socks? If you do, maybe just switching to really thin socks or sock liners might do the trick.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 11:07 PM
  #11
IDuck
Registered User
 
IDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,944
vCash: 500
to OP i feel your pain...i was in the same situation with the back (which is basically all metal now)...gained 50 pounds, kept playing hockey and lost it all and then some, im 5'11'' and down to 170 now but i never noticed my skates feeling any different then and now...good luck though

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 12:05 AM
  #12
denace
Registered User
 
denace's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Holland
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
When I was fit, my skates didn't feel really that good to begin with. The pain in my feet was always there, but after a couple of minutes, it was manageble. I didn't know what to expect from a mid ranged skate, I just thought it was me. So they were not the most comfortable skates in the world but 168 dollar for vector 06 (normal price over here is 385) was a really good deal....until I went Elvis on myself lol.

Is width E the most wide skate CCM has to offer ?

denace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 01:37 AM
  #13
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by denace View Post
When I was fit, my skates didn't feel really that good to begin with. The pain in my feet was always there, but after a couple of minutes, it was manageble. I didn't know what to expect from a mid ranged skate, I just thought it was me. So they were not the most comfortable skates in the world but 168 dollar for vector 06 (normal price over here is 385) was a really good deal....until I went Elvis on myself lol.

Is width E the most wide skate CCM has to offer ?
I think so, most skates just come in two widths, regular and wide. CCM and Rbk call it D/E, Bauer calls it D/EE, Easton and Graf call it R/W. Certain skate models by certain companies will come in more than 2 widths (a lot of Graf skates especially will come in "N" widths as well, i.e. narrow), but in general most skates will only be available in regular or wide, and the specific letters used are just the letters that said company happens to use. As far as I know the fact that Bauer calls their wide skates "EE" vs. CCM's "E" doesn't actually mean they're wider.

If you really need super wide skates you'd either have to get custom skates (ridiculously expensive), get your skates punched (best if they're pinching only in certain areas), or get skates that are too big for you based on foot length (not a great option, but possibly the only option you have).

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 06:29 AM
  #14
denace
Registered User
 
denace's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Holland
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I think so, most skates just come in two widths, regular and wide. CCM and Rbk call it D/E, Bauer calls it D/EE, Easton and Graf call it R/W. Certain skate models by certain companies will come in more than 2 widths (a lot of Graf skates especially will come in "N" widths as well, i.e. narrow), but in general most skates will only be available in regular or wide, and the specific letters used are just the letters that said company happens to use. As far as I know the fact that Bauer calls their wide skates "EE" vs. CCM's "E" doesn't actually mean they're wider.

If you really need super wide skates you'd either have to get custom skates (ridiculously expensive), get your skates punched (best if they're pinching only in certain areas), or get skates that are too big for you based on foot length (not a great option, but possibly the only option you have).
Thanks, but my skates are already half a size to big for me. I'll try baking them, then I'll try getting them punched out. If that doesnt work, I'll have a liposuction on my feet But first, I'll try on some other brands like Graf or something..

denace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 07:35 AM
  #15
vyktor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 889
vCash: 500
Because your weight gain was rapid, and due to injury, there is actually a good chance that your feet have swollen, happens a lot to people with congestive heart failure and pregnant women

you should probably wait til your weight normalizes before new skates

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:05 AM
  #16
umpft
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by denace View Post
Last year I've bought my skates online, and yes that was not my brightest moment. Since april last year, I've gained a whopping 44 pounds (20 kilo ) due to a severe backinjury and by quitting smoking
Congrats for quitting smoking! Well done.

I have a friend who had to wear their wedding ring on their thumb after losing 40lbs. Hands get skinnier/fatter as you lose/gain weight, it seems reasonable that the same happens to your feet.

Enjoy being able to breathe again, I bet you'll drop that extra weight quickly.

umpft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 05:15 AM
  #17
denace
Registered User
 
denace's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Holland
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpft View Post
Congrats for quitting smoking! Well done.

I have a friend who had to wear their wedding ring on their thumb after losing 40lbs. Hands get skinnier/fatter as you lose/gain weight, it seems reasonable that the same happens to your feet.

Enjoy being able to breathe again, I bet you'll drop that extra weight quickly.
Thanks mate ! I think I will

denace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.